Playoffs Countdown Thread!

la2ny

Starter
Whats up everyone!

To lighten the mood around here I've decided to make a countdown thread for a place we haven't been In 7 years, but any true Knick fan will tell you we haven't been in the playoffs in 11 years(atleast a team that could win a game in the postseason lol). Anyways this is what i want done in this thread:

1.NO MIKE D,MELO,ETC. BROUGHT UP

2.IF THIS 2011 TEAM IS BROUGHT UP, MAKE SURE ITS ONLY IN COMPARISON TO A FORMER KNICK TEAM(NONE IN THE T.THOMAS ERA!)

3.POST ANY PICTURES YOU FIND WITH HOW MANY DAYS ARE LEFT UNTIL THE PLAYOFFS(ex.24 days left post a picture of Bill Bradley or LJ +Nate=24)

4.STOP BEING SO NEGATIVE! CRACK A JOKE IN THIS THREAD OR JUST REMINISCE.

I'll be posting vids of some past Knicks playoff lore in her so make sure to watch.:gony:

la2ny

Starter
As the thread starter I'll begin :thumbsup::

24 days left!
amason_300_080412.jpg

+
walt-frazier-yogadorkjpg.jpg

la2ny

Starter
Bulls vs Knicks 1996NBA Playoffs Game 3

I love what Van Gundy said in this part. Pretty much sums up some of our fans.

Why so sure we're playing Chicago?

My bet is the Bulls will enter the playoffs as no.1 seed.

We're playing either Boston or Miami.

Our starting 5 will be:

Frazier/Sprewell/Mason/Reed/Ewing

bench:
Monroe
Houston
Oakley
Camby
Starks
Johnson
DeBusschere

coach: Red Holzman

I think we're in for a championship :teeth:

miked1958

Rotation player
THANKYOU!!. I had somewhere impt to go but i started watching first video and that led to the 2nd and so on and so forth and I watched them all. WOW> Didnt realize the Bulls were 72-10 that season. That game got me fired up for the playoffs. Hopefully these current Knicks can get that kind of Swagger and compete against the top seeded teams in these 2010/2011 playoffs. Maybe they will watch some of that old footage and stand up and play D for more then just 1 or 2 games and shock the world and win a series or 2. At least with the experience of playoff game wins, playoff series wins and yes even a championship that Amare, Melo and Billups have combined the knicks will stand up in the playoff and and SAY WE ARE HERE TO MAKE SOME NOISE AND WILL NOT LAY DOWN....

MDA IS a Great Coach!
Our Defense will SHOW UP IN every Playoff Game!
Our BENCH will SHOWUP and make key plays in playoff wins!
MELO and Billups is the BEST TRADE in our HISTORY!
NO NEG COMMENTS IN THIS THREAD!

Maybe this Knicks team can take some pointers from the New York Rangers on how to close out a season. With them in the 7th spot of 8, instead of folding like the Knicks they are on a Season best 5game winning streak (best since they had 7in a row in 09) and now are only 3pts behind 6th place Canadians. GoalKeeper Henrik recorded his NHL Best 10th Shutout tonight in a 1-0 win. They missed the playoffs by 1point last season finishing in 9th position. They lost in a shootout to Philly on the seasons last day. They have used that as focal point and made a pact that it would not happen to them again this season. Did anyone see when they played againsst a great pittsburgh team on Sunday? Down 2-1 in 3rd Period, they outscore the Pens 4-0 in last 1/3 of the game to win 5-2. The Knicks need to play with this kind of fire going down the stretch. Now I know the Rangers (like the Knicks) have not won any titles in ages either, but they seem to be on the right track at least.
<!-- / message -->

Loved your intro; most Knick fans do consider it 10+ years of losing basketball. Got swept by the damn NJ Nets in 04. I was 19 @ the time. Thats when I knew it was bad. But never really knew how bad it would later become. I understand when a team is on the rise (like this one) & I can also tell when a team & franchise is falling apart (Post Ewing).

After growing up during the days of #33, Oakley, Mason & Starks (my childhood dreams of Elementary school days); I still remember the court yard days of trying to play like John Starks.

Amare & Melo leading the way for New York? While a true veteran PG in Billups gives it everything he has for yet another playoff war? I'm ready.

Also another good post from MikeD. This 2011 Knicks team could learn alot about defensive intensity & overall team work from going back & watching (studying) those moments from the 90's, where New York would go to war with MJ/Pippen & the Bulls, Reggie, Smitz & Mark Jackson of the Pacers & later on Hardaway, Mourning, PJ Brown of MIA.

I'd also like to state that I've been extremely proud of this 2010-2011 Kicks team. Win or lose during the playoffs; this team will always be remembered by true Kick fans, always to be considered of... & will go down as THE Knicks team that made NY relivent for the 1st time since the era of Ewing died after 99.

I'm just proud of these guys (Felton, Gallo & Chandler too). This team took the NY pressure of the NY media, fans & none-believers... & all they did was turn our franchise around, compete, fight & put us in strong position to make the playoffs. Real Knicks.

This team will never be forgotten. The pressure of the playoffs will be like never B4. The best of this NY team has yet to come. Once these guys turn it up & play with playoff intensity; especially Billups, Melo & Amare? The sky is the limit. We could be on the verge of shocking the Eastern Conf like the 8th seed Knicks of 99. BOS? CHI? MIA? I'm ready.

Amare has become one of my top 5 Knicks of all-time. He changed the culture of our franchise.

Man. Memeories. Just looking at that first vid we keep someone in the paint on offense. Everything was geared towards going towards the basket not the 3 point line. Good stuff...

Honesty? This is a great thread you created. When I read the thread title, I was like damn, this is what I've been waiting for. The playoffs. I remember recent years of just wishing we could go from 12th or even 9th in the standings... to the 8th seed. It never happened though. Now? after a very sluggish start to the season; it's on the verge of happening. It's a feel good feeling. The playoffs (where anything can happen). Stars are also born during the playoffs. Look for both Toney Douglas & Landy Fields to make names for themself.

Also agree with #2 of this thread in terms of only comparing this team to previous NY teams of the past. Thats why when talking about defense around here, after having th chance to live though top 5 Knick D's of the 90's... I try & make points, especially when fans talk NY defense unde Riley or JVG; that JJ isn't #33, Amare isn't Oak, Turi will never become Mason, Fields is NO Starks & Melo isn't even a C.Smith type of tough defender. Defense takes time & you must be patient.

la2ny

Starter
^ One of the best series I've seen. LJ and Mase vs their former teams. Boy how I miss the Hornets being in Charlotte. MJ should really try to buy the name from NO and the league give them something else like New Orleans Soul or New Orleans VooDoo.

Yeah the Hornets were pretty tough back then. Loved little Bogues (that how you spell his last name?) but yeah... Another two series I remember were against the Hawks with Blaylock & Cavs when they had Mark Price. Dude never missed a free throw. I cant remember which years those series were in but I remember we dominated the Cavs & had our way with ATL. Maybe back in 95? Cant remember.

smokes

Huge Member
FYI you can also get the New York @ Miami 1999 Game 5 on youtube plus the Indiana @ New York 1999 Game 3 :) epic playoffs action.

I can't imagine there's anyone on this site who hasn't seen these games but if there are young Knicks fans here maybe a little lesson in playoff history is needed :lol:

I'm really pumped for the playoffs but being realistic I'll honestly be happy if we get through the 1st round without being swept. Just don't want us getting embarassed out there...

la2ny

Starter
FYI you can also get the New York @ Miami 1999 Game 5 on youtube plus the Indiana @ New York 1999 Game 3 :) epic playoffs action.

I can't imagine there's anyone on this site who hasn't seen these games but if there are young Knicks fans here maybe a little lesson in playoff history is needed :lol:

I'm really pumped for the playoffs but being realistic I'll honestly be happy if we get through the 1st round without being swept. Just don't want us getting embarassed out there...
Yeah i know I wanted games most didn't already come across like the Charlotte game. It seems easier to find the 4 point play game and the brawl games.

Regarding the playoffs even if we aren't better than we are now, I still dont think we'd get swept. Just from pure talent we'd win one game. Also we'd most likely have on of those "cant miss a shot" games. Based in large part to the crowd at MSG.

la2ny, since you started the playoff thread; you wanna create the gameday thread vs the Magic & start our playoff run? I'm on schedule & cant make it.

As far as the playoffs go? I don't think any team in the league could sweep this team 4-0. We may not have team chemistry but we have way too much playoff experience in our starting 5 with Melo, Amare & Billups. Melo led the Nuggets to the playoffs during each of his 7 NBA years with Denver. I know Amare has at least 49-50 games of playoff experience during the 4 years MDA was in PHX & Billups also has a boat load of playoff experience as a former Finals MVP.

If this team gets it going & turns it up heading into & during the playoffs? We'll be extremely tough for any Eastern Conf team to eliminate & may even pull off an upset or two & from there? Anything is possible.

la2ny

Starter
la2ny, since you started the playoff thread; you wanna create the gameday thread vs the Magic & start our playoff run? I'm on schedule & cant make it.

As far as the playoffs go? I don't think any team in the league could sweep this team 4-0. We may not have team chemistry but we have way too much playoff experience in our starting 5 with Melo, Amare & Billups. Melo led the Nuggets to the playoffs during each of his 7 NBA years with Denver. I know Amare has at least 49-50 games of playoff experience during the 4 years MDA was in PHX & Billups also has a boat load of playoff experience as a former Finals MVP.

If this team gets it going & turns it up heading into & during the playoffs? We'll be extremely tough for any Eastern Conf team to eliminate & may even pull off an upset or two & from there? Anything is possible.
Yeah I'll throw one up really quick.