How good do you think this team would be with Nash?

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Forget about his age and all that. I'm not saying we should or should not plan to get him. It's hypothetical. Right now the Suns have a better record is fighting hard every night no matter the opponent. Of course it's not just Nash getting it done, but he's a huge reason for it (imo, still the best PG in the league).

It's an interesting thing. First people said Stoudemire needed Nash, then Stoudemire showed he can have a lot of success without him and made people wonder if it was the other way around with him and Nash, or neither, and now, Nash is still doing his thing.

Forget Nash, he's old and doesn't play defense. The latter is our major problem.

Question should be: How good could this team be with Rajon Rondo?

On a sidenote: If the Lakers really manage to get Dwight, they're in for another dynasty. This man is an absolute beast. It has to be the best body in NBA history. A true role model for other athletes in terms of work ethic and nutrition. That guy keeps about 5% body fat over the course of a season...really impressive.

la2ny

Starter
Well we would be 17-0 right now,but get destroyed in the 2nd round or Conference Finals by Rose/Rondo/ or Nelson.

Nash would make our D' go from bad to horrid.

Douglas is our future starting PG. Our $ will go into the C' position; while we continue to develope TD into a strong PG. His overall talents & potential go through the roof.

For the fans who call for a top 10 D'? TD is your obvious PG.

I grew up watching this kid dominate the ACC on the defensive side of the ball. Douglas & Fields will form for an excellent defensive back court, for many of years to come too.

TD may never become a Nash, Kidd, Rose, CP3, D-Will, Parker or Rodno type of PG in terms off passing ability, but it won't be long before he ranks as a top 10 PG. He'll become much better than what Felton ever was for us; & thats all we need with Melo & Amare leading the way. He can also get into the paint, drive & finish which is what makes Parker an excellent PG.

TD is a PURE scorer, can drive to the rim & finish & will become an outstanding defender. Learning how to RUN an offense behind a great veteran leader in Billups will become a blessing

smokes

Huge Member
Nash would make our D' go from bad to horrid.

Douglas is our future starting PG. Our $ will go into the C' position; while we continue to develope TD into a strong PG. His overall talents & potential go through the roof.

For the fans who call for a top 10 D'? TD is your obvious PG.

I grew up watching this kid dominate the ACC on the defensive side of the ball. Douglas & Fields will form for an excellent defensive back court, for many of years to come too.

TD may never become a Nash, Kidd, Rose, CP3, D-Will, Parker or Rodno type of PG in terms off passing ability, but it won't be long before he ranks as a top 10 PG. He'll become much better than what Felton ever was for us; & thats all we need with Melo & Amare leading the way. He can also get into the paint, drive & finish which is what makes Parker an excellent PG.

TD is a PURE scorer, can drive to the rim & finish & will become an outstanding defender. Learning how to RUN an offense behind a great veteran leader in Billups will become a blessing

Dude on the real I like your optimism but you're getting wayyyyy ahead of yourself.

TD is a scorer yes at the moment a PURELY inconsistent scorer one game he drops a team record in 3's the game before he goes 1 for 12...

TD will most likely not even be a starting PG in the NBA next year so to say he's well on the way to being a top 10 PG in this league is extremely far fetched.

I too like the idea of TD learning underneath Billups next year and then he could come and play the Charlie Ward/Chris Childs defensive PG role also adding the threat that he could drop 25+ on you if it's his night. But top 10 PG? I think we'd be extremely lucky if he ever reached that status let alone anytime in the next couple of years.

I just wish we had someone who could fill the SG spot in the starting five for 25mpg. Having Douglas and Fields energy guards, both playing the 6th man role for 20mpg, with Turiaf also coming in with that unit... There you have a little scoring and some excellent energy/hustle/defense. With that kind of bench we have the ability to run our team with only 1 of 3 scorers (Billups/Melo/Stat) on the floor and still be very effective. Sadly we don't have that kind of bench.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I don't get some of your thinking here.

Firstly I want to get out this out of the way. Nash has not been bad on defense this year. I see that he's trying hard out there. He's not very good at defense, but he's been decent.

Rondo isn't in the same league as Nash. Nash is catching up to him in the assists average without Allen, Pierce, and Garnett.

On Saturday before the Hornets game started his scoring average the previous few games was under 2 points. Elite? Right.

People complain about our defense being the problem, our offense has no fluidity either. Nash got to game 6 in the Eastern conference last year. Come on. Bashing Nash's defense is such a weak argument. People are just fooled by his age. These rising point guards are good and all, but aren't the same category as Nash. Watch a game from him. Tell me who else could do what he did except a healthy Chris Paul.

Rose is great because he knows he has to play an Iverson style PG. He's aggressive. Likes to pass, but knows he has to score a lot.

Stephen Curry's game, now that I see as being legit.

Am I saying to trade for Nash or anything? No, but which guards' defense really makes him more valuable than Nash? I like Felton, and his defense was much better than Nash's, but he got traded.

Nash has given people bigger contracts because of his play. He probably could get even Jeffries a basket or two more a game.

I don't think some of you even watch Nash. He had 23 points and 20 assists against the Lakers the other night. Who knows if the Suns would have won that game if Nash wasn't tired by the 3rd OT, which he did look.

Too much is focused on age. If this thread was about acquiring him, I'd only say at the right price. Grant Hill is 38 and gave Kobe a tough time. He sacrifices his scoring for great offensive opponents.

We have two young superstars and young players in their early 20s. Having more veteran leader leadership is much more valuable than having these rising stars who hasn't proven they deserve the praise they get.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Also, people get sucked up in the media hype. I love Melo, but is really better than Sprewell? Better scorer? Yeah, but think about it.

We have two superstars and people still want a third one. Our two superstars don't even bring the defense every game. Let's get a couple of defenders who can rebound instead trading Landry or whoever else just to get one player (Howard).

Great post's RunningJumper. I agree with a lot of what you stated.

But there is no question about it; Nash has always been one of the worst defensive starting PG's. It's not because of his age (which is a factor) but it's mostly been because of his size & overall weakness in strength. When talking about top 10 defensive PG's: You'll never hear anyone mention the name Nash but I agree, he's an excellent leader & future HOF PG, but he's not what NY needs considering the fact that we need to upgrade our D with Douglas waiting on deck to do just that; improve our D from the PG position.

Sprewell was great & always played with intensity on D but he wasn't the type of star that Melo has become. Melo led DEN to the playoffs during his 1st 7 years in the league (inside an extremely tough western conf). Ranks right up there with LeBron & Durant as the NBA's top 3 SF's. One of the best rebounding SF's around. Melo & Kobe also rank as two of the NBA's clutchest finishers during crunch time. I take Melo over Spree.