Are we lacking chemistry? Or are we lacking chemistry.. SMFH??

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
This team is total mess due to the lack of cohesion brought on by the trade for Melo and Billups. To top it off on the bench we've got new moving parts as well in Sheldon Williams and Carter. Trying to mesh these four new players w our left over mainstays has proved to be more difficult and tedious to watch than any of us expected IMO. I knew there would be a transition period, but damn. I honestly didn't think it would be this rough.

Clyde, The... Clyde, made a prescient point a week ago that intrigued me ~ he said it's more difficult to /incorporate a star than it is to get role players acclimated to a new squad.. When you compare our team to Denver this has proved oh so true.

Couple the above w the fact we also have a new PG trying to learn all of our new plays, new players, while battling injury and simultaneously trying to figure out how it is exactly MDA wants him to play, and it all starts to come together re: why we've looked like a team of d-leaguers of late.

Also, I see what LJ4ptplay has been saying since the trade.. MDA has been put in an almost impossible situation here. I mean, I get we had to acquire Melo - for the good of the team long-term - or he most likely would have signed somewhere else, but this acquisition has turned our team into a total clusterF. There's no chemistry on either side of the court and even bad teams just toy w us because of it.

That's the main reason for the losses to bad teams. Even though they have losing records, they've atleast built up a certain level of battle-tested chemistry over the course of the season from playing together that's proved very difficult for our team to deal w, especially in the 4th quarter.

The one thing I did like about tnites game was after we found ourselves by down 20, instead of subbing, MDA left Amare, Fields, Melo, CB and Sheldon on the court to figure it out. I agreed w this move. They needed to summon whatever pride they had at that point, no timeout. They needed to just play thru it.

The losing is frustrating as hell, but what can we do?? You want to fire MDA? Fine I hear you, but IMHO he's not what's wrong here. There just isn't much chemistry between our players. People say this period right here is like our training camp, but it's really like baptism by fire for our guys. The look on Amare's face said it all tnite against the Bobcats. It's just real bad right now. Sadly, all we can do is sit back and hope the unholy concoction that is our team right now turns into something potent sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
One of the best post's I've read around here since I've been here. I enjoy this site I may disagree about MDA but I love the insight around here.

Someone that undersrand how extremely important team, coach & player chemistry has always been. +1 man.

The previous team never lost 6 straight & I cant remember the last time we were 3 games below .500 & playing this horrible this season. If I'm wrong; I don't wanna be right about this situation.

I'll hope & wish for the best before or even come playoff time... Maybe a light switch goes off & our 3 leaders in Billups, Melo & Amare fight like playoff warriors & guys like Douglas, Fields & Turiaf all feed off that & make impact types of plays & maybe even JJ starts to make plays on defense but other than that? The offseason, draft, FA signing period, training camp, practices & an entire preseason couldn't come soon enough.

iSaYughh

Starter
Excellent OP. And points all-around.

Real talk, real bball knowledge, real resiliency to being fooled.

Idk why some good thinkers have been so quick to jump the shark w MDA since the trade...When the trade did nothing but exacerbate MDA's existing issues....and heighten team weaknesses, while creating a true 'cluster ****' period.

I'll still stay on record:

MDA stays
MDA continues to develop, and develop with, our franchise, and continues whede he left off pre-TheTrade, in silencing big time haters, and making fools of the rest.

iSaYughh

Starter
One of the best post's I've read around here since I've been here. I enjoy this site I may disagree about MDA but I love the insight around here.

Someone that undersrand how extremely important team, coach & player chemistry has always been. +1 man.

The previous team never lost 6 straight & I cant remember the last time we were 3 games below .500 & playing this horrible this season. If I'm wrong; I don't wanna be right about this situation.

I'll hope & wish for the best before or even come playoff time... Maybe a light switch goes off & our 3 leaders in Billups, Melo & Amare fight like playoff warriors & guys like Douglas, Fields & Turiaf all feed off that & make impact types of plays & maybe even JJ starts to make plays on defense but other than that? The offseason, draft, FA signing period, training camp, practices & an entire preseason couldn't come soon enough.

Our "prior" team...despite it's inherent flaws and difficulties...developed into a pretty legit winning club with a relative degree of dangerousness and ability to put a scare into any team.

We became that team, despite the critics (hello), by transcending the expectations and status quo (thx coach d'antoni).

Outside of juggernaut champions like Jackson n Pop, who u simply can't go against until proved otherwise...There may not be a coach in the NBA r world 'd rather have right now, especially considering the actual feasibility of things.

Put down BigShot, bring in The Big, draft wisely, and let freedom continue to reign under MDA with a legitimized roster and a pre-season and postseason to have come together.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound

It's difficult to continue to hear people miss these issues. Tnites loss provided the impetus for the OP.

Excellent OP. And points all-around.

Real talk, real bball knowledge, real resiliency to being fooled.

Idk why some good thinkers have been so quick to jump the shark w MDA since the trade...When the trade did nothing but exacerbate MDA's existing issues....and heighten team weaknesses, while creating a true 'cluster ****' period.

I'll still stay on record:

MDA stays
MDA continues to develop, and develop with, our franchise, and continues whede he left off pre-TheTrade, in silencing big time haters, and making fools of the rest.

MDA is a much better coach than he gets credit for around here. He must have truly understood what he signed up for to coach thru consistent mess after mess smh.. The man's shouldered alot as the team's developed personnel-wise over the course of the last 2 and change yrs.

He deserves to coach a fully formed product. When he gets that opportunity, I agree he'll prove alot of his doubters wrong.

Last edited:

MSGhobo247

Rotation player
+100...this guy gets it and maybe D'antoni gets it to (I'll prob be hung for that) but some people need to take some Prozac QUICK.

Yeah, that previous Knicks team got off to a slow start but quickly started to make big time progress under MDA. I believe we were 7 or 8 games above .500, then the trade rumors started to fly around NY involving players like Gallo & Chandler for the most part.

The team just started to play too tight & players became worried because none of them wanted to leave this team. It affected those players.

I still remember heading into that game against the Celtics when Pierce was laufhing @ our recent struggles, saying stuff such as... How can NY & BOS be considered "rivals" when the Knicks haven't been relevant.

After Amare hit the could have been game winning 3 from deep... Pierce showed us nothing but respect after the game; letting the media world know that NY basketball is back & even stated that the Knicks will be in the hunt until the end.

Thats when I just knew MDA was coaching this young team into the right dirrection.

We should compete for the East next year. Need a strong Free Agency + draft though.

smokes

Huge Member
rono... this is a good post but honestly I have to disagree...

The problem is we've got progressively worse since the trade, and now at this point in time the losses are in our heads and its impacting the teams performance. But what lead us to this point?

MDA may not be 100% the sole reason that we are playing the way we are but there are a ton of things wrong with the way the team is playing and the way MDA controls the game on the court (which you can reference in about 100 other threads on this forum).

If MDA was a better coach we wouldn't be in this position and honestly the position we are in is embarrasing, yes teams like Miami had rough runs shortly after their big changes but their rough run was 9-8 ours is 1-9 right now...

Personally I don't think MDA is even a bad coach he just isn't the right coach for NY and I doubt he has the coaching ability to bring our team to a championship.

MSGhobo247

Rotation player

The problem is we've got progressively worse since the trade, and now at this point in time the losses are in our heads and its impacting the teams performance. But what lead us to this point?

MDA may not be 100% the sole reason that we are playing the way we are but there are a ton of things wrong with the way the team is playing and the way MDA controls the game on the court (which you can reference in about 100 other threads on this forum).

If MDA was a better coach we wouldn't be in this position and honestly the position we are in is embarrasing, yes teams like Miami had rough runs shortly after their big changes but their rough run was 9-8 ours is 1-9 right now...

Personally I don't think MDA is even a bad coach he just isn't the right coach for NY and I doubt he has the coaching ability to bring our team to a championship.

If we are going to still use MIA to compare us to then consider the fact that they went 9-8 after having training camp and preseason together. Now if you put them together after the all star break I think it would be just as ugly in MIA as it is in NY right now. NY fans just care more.

I actually enjoy this thread. Thank you Rono & you made another excellent point about Mike D'Antoni deserving a chance to coach a complete contender. Well deserved actually.

We pushed for the playoffs a little quicker than most expected this year & we also landed Carmelo quicker than expected. When Walsh & MDA agreed to lead NY for Walsh; everyone knew it would take 4 years (next year) for this team to really compete as serious contenders.

They both accepted the job not only knowing, but also understanding NY had not a chance in hell to win during the 1st two years, due to the fact that Thomas left us in cap hell with expiring contracts.

MDA was forced to scrap & turn over entire team(s) & roster(s). No coach in the NBA has started & played more players than MDA has over the past 3 years. It was ugly. He still had the HEART to LOSE in NY; just for a chance to win. Next year is his chance!

Yes, Darko & AR slid through the cracks, but not by choice. Mike was forced into that situation of rebuilding mode.

Thread makes sense.. I can see where you're coming from and respect that.. I still don't think he's the right coach for us in the long run but very valid a respectable points

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound

I hear you.

I just think the team's problems have more to do w the makeup of the team and familiarity rather than MDA @ the moment.

Alot of what people don't like about MDA comes down to dogma. He has an unconventional philosophy that tends to rub most Knick fans the wrong way.

However he's proved he can take such a philosophy and flip it into a winning framework.

So what i'm saying is, MDA hasn't changed. He's the same good coach, w the same awkward, but effective strategies. What's changed, repeatedly?? The personnel..., but not minor pieces this time mind you, huge floor tilting additions have been made.

To incorporate Melo and Billups is an extremely difficult proposition, much more so than I thought it would be anyway. That's all i'm saying.

Last edited:
There isn't a single coach who deserves to coach us more than MDA. Not Phil who turned on us, not Riley who left & not JVG who quit on us.

MDA stuck with us, when no one else would. The other top coaches knew we were a laughing stock.

The man threw his PHX winning % of .650 down the drain just to come to NY, to lose for two full years, while Walsh & himself rebuilt our once proud franchise. All this talk of him having too much pride is a myth. He wouldn't have accepted a job, inside the toughest sports media in the world, just to lose for two or three years if he had too much pride. It took heart.

D'Antoni is coming back but it's been sad to see fans screaming to give another coach a 'hand given contending team' when MDA was the one who earned the right to coach it.

Just say we re-do Billups contract, sign Jordan & draft Faried.

C-Jordan / JJ
PF-Amare / Faried
SF-Melo / Shawne
SG-Fields / Walker
PG-Billups / Douglas

Why does another coach deserve a true contender... but Mike doesn't after developing it?

One thing I'll say against MDA is this...

Yes... If we were to land a true center who can box out, board, fill lanes, as well as also being able to block, alter & contest shots... Of course our overall team defense would improve with a talented C such as a DeAndre, Nene, Marc Gasol (RFA) or Dalembert.

Or... If we were to land the Nations leading rebounder in Kenneth Faried it's obvious our rebounding game would improve.

With all that said... We still need a defensive assistant that's considered as an upgrade over Herb to help MDA right our defensive ship while Mike puts "that much more" effort into our offense while an all around assistant is able to stress the importance of defense when Mike has to focus on other aspect's of the game. Thats up to Walsh to over-rule Mike if Mike is content with his staff. He's a loyal person so I cant blame him for not throwing his broter under the bus but thats the GM's job to put us in best possible position to win.

I think the best has yet to come ;=)

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
There isn't a single coach who deserves to coach us more than MDA. Not Phil who turned on us, not Riley who left & not JVG who quit on us.

MDA stuck with us, when no one else would. The other top coaches knew we were a laughing stock.

The man threw his PHX winning % of .650 down the drain just to come to NY, to lose for two full years, while Walsh & himself rebuilt our once proud franchise. All this talk of him having too much pride is a myth. He wouldn't have accepted a job, inside the toughest sports media in the world, just to lose for two or three years if he had too much pride. It took heart.

D'Antoni is coming back but it's been sad to see fans screaming to give another coach a 'hand given contending team' when MDA was the one who earned the right to coach it.

Just say we re-do Billups contract, sign Jordan & draft Faried.

C-Jordan / JJ
PF-Amare / Faried
SF-Melo / Shawne
SG-Fields / Walker
PG-Billups / Douglas

Why does another coach deserve a true contender... but Mike doesn't after developing it?

It'd be great if Billups came around, started playing well and gave us the opportunity to re-do his deal. Somehow I doubt we get all 3 of those things to happen though, but who knows.

That lineup is quite good,especially when you consider the strides Fields and Jordan would inevitably make. Couple that w Billups, Amare, and Melo presumably being on the same page and you have what looks like a legit contender.

Let's also hope we're smart enough to draft Faried if we get the chance.

skisloper

Starter
We have 9 games left.
We have shown we can compete with the best.
Lets just get to the playoffs.
I prefer Boston over Chicago.
We will gel.....I just hope we have our bench rotation set by then.
I would be using EVERY PLAYER with the exception of Rautins and Balkman and seeing who fits where....

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
I was just thinking..

How long generally does it take to build chemistry?

Is there anyway to predict how long it will be before we start playing decent basketball again?

I guess it depends on the team and the players involved. After all, it didn't take Pau long to acclimate in LA. There's one case of relatively quick gelling.

So I guess it sorta depends on the player and the system they're trying to fit into.

Which brings me to my next point, really a question. Is trying to get Melo to gel within SSOL like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole? Will he ever fit in? Will Billups?

Will Melo allow himself to submit to MDA's principals and spacing? He saying all of the right things..

Is it stupid to try and get him too?

I used to think: Why would would Melo come to NY without having really thought through the fact he's going to have to become proficient in a different type of offense?

He had to of thought about this a little bit..

Billups is different we know he doesn't really belong in an offense like this at all.. The slow it down PG in the 7 seconds or less offense.. Yea, there's gonna be some uptake time. We all knew this.

I guess it's just about waiting.. I'll admit I'm learning on the fly here. I've never really seen a situation like our team is going through w this trade.

Can anybody think of comparable situation in the NBA historically ?

There should be some gellin soon.

Getting Melo and Billups made me feel like a kid in candy store..

The losing is comparable to picking out a treat and taking it to register only to find out your short a few cents.

You go back home for more change only to get back to the store and find out you're still (like some deranged twilight zone ep) short a few cents..

The Knicks have come up short many times in these last 10 games.

Hopefully after tnite we won't have to go back home empty handed again.

Last edited:
I'm not sure you can compare our Knicks situation to any previous post-trade situation out there. This was I believe the largest trade (involving the most players) in NBA history. Speaks of volumes.

It's impossible to compare this situation to those situations of BOS landing the big 3 or even MIA of this offseason; key word being offseason & key meaning being time to gel, practice, practice, practice & time gel some more during the preseason. Both the Celtics & especially the Heat struggled out of the gates. BOS fans wanted Rivers OUT before giving him a fighting chance to win a championship & MIA fans & sports media were sharks calling for the head of the coach for Riley.

This Knicks team lost 3 current starters @ the two of the most important positions with Mozgov @ Center & Felton @ PG. Gallo @ SF was a huge member of our team & Chandler was one of the best 6th men coming off the bench. Our roster & team simply got depleated. These players, this coach & this team is in dire need of a FULL offseason.