Knicks 2011 Draft Pick

If picking 17 through 23 in the 2011 draft, the Knicks should choose:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nixon7

Benchwarmer
So, let's take it as a given that, if Donnie Walsh can trade up to take Kyrie Irving or Enes Kanter, that of course he should and will. But let's assume that no one in the lottery is willing to deal and the Knicks pick in the 17-23 range.

Given that who should they draft?

See poll below...

nixon7

Benchwarmer
The original poster's additional thoughts

So even though I posted this, I am still on the fence about my vote. Do you take the most well-rounded center (Zeller) or go for the monster defender (Young) or shot-blocker (Nogueira) who might be more of a project. Of course, the answer may depend on what center you plan to score as a free-agent.

Then there are those who will want a point guard rather than a big, and the big debate would seem to be take the scorer (Fredette) or the speedster/defender (Jackson). If they keep Billups, I find the possibility of him mentoring the Colorado Springs prospect personally intriguing.

Then of course, there are the take the best player regardless of position and need folks, as well as the inevitable "you idiot, what about blah-blah-blah, why is he not in the poll?".

So there we are, there are things I like about each choice. Of course, I dream about trading up for Kanter, just like the Jets did for Sanchez, but someone may want to dispel that notion as well.

I will vote myself sometime in the next week, but I was curious to see what others have to say to try and sway me and others votes.

And I hope people appreciate my constructing an interesting poll, as opposed to the usual trash talking on Marbury, D'Antoni, Melo, and Snooki. :)

NewYork 21 Knicks

Benchwarmer
kemba walker is my fav to come out of the draft, maybe because im a ct resident and live 30 mins from uconn.. but i do think hed be a nice fit to back up with td and maybe play behind fields as well. also i really like d williams in arizona another one of my favs but as for the poll u have id probably say jimmer... because of the name lol

Well, I really love Kemba & he reminds me of a younger Tim Hardaway especially with his quick cross over, hard jab step & ability to create his own shots + the fact that he's from New York.

But this is an easy one...

Kenneth Faried. Nations leading rebounder.

Once we land one of the many potential FA centers, this is my next stop... Rebounding. Kid is extremely tough, knows exactly how to put a body on a guy, box out, loves contact & has rebounding & put back slams down to a SCIENCE. I seriously cant remember the last time I seen a natural rebounder as gifted as Faried. Reminds me of Rodman with a much better offensive gave. He's not some 7 footer who just out reaches everyone... He's a 6'8 maybe 6'9 natural NBA Power Foward who is gifted.

I miss the days of a 6th mann off the bench who could board & play tough in Anthony Mason. Faried is our answer. Great potential backup to Amare @ the PF position.

nixon7

Benchwarmer
Kenneth Faried

It is likely that we would have to trade up in the draft to get Faried (unless the Knicks slip into the lottery - something I am not hoping for), and once you are doing that: why not trade up a little higher looking for Enes Kanter instead?

The other problem is that you have to draft long before you know who can be obtained as a starting center (unless you have a draft-day deal in place).

I would also like a plan for a true backup center (as opposed to yet another journeyman PF playing out of position).

It would take a lot of guts (in my book) to draft a power forward on a team which already boasts two all-star forwards and no legitimate center, hoping to resolve that later on.

Still, this is an intriguing alternative to my plan of drafting Zeller, Young or Nogueira; and then obtaining a veteran center and Reggie Evans type after the new CBA.

Well done, young Padawan.

nixon7

Benchwarmer
Patric Young

My vote is in: Patric Young.

Zeller's defense and Nogueira's readiness just spook me too much.

I would consider trading up for Kanter if someone is willing, and I hear those who say "Why trade up for Kanter, and not for Kyrie or Derrick?". My answer is trading to 4 or 5 is a lot easier and likelier than trading to 1 or 2.

But any deal would have to not wreck our chances of landing a legit starting center, backup PG, backup SG, and a Charles Oakley / Anthony Mason / Reggie Evans wrecking ball sixth man.

I also realize I could look like an idiot in a few years if Nogueira fulfills his destiny and brings balance to the Force.