Wally World a Knick???

Imiss#33

Benchwarmer
I just saw this...does anyone know anything about it????

The T-Wolves are considering trading Wally Szczerbiak and the $55 million he has remaining on his contract for the next five years to the Knicks for 33-year-old Kurt Thomas.
-- St. Paul Pioneer Press

JJtheKnick

Starter
no i would not do that. fist of all wally has had injurys and the knicks dont want more of that. and 2nd the most important thing is if we trade kurt this will be a very small team. we need size. we traded deke and the other tall guys. we need height and trade kurt for wally would be a mistake.

rady

Administrator
Staff member
i found an interesting article on that on twincities.com the article needs registration so i'll just pot the most important paragraphs:

Now that the Timberwolves have officially signed point guard Troy Hudson, don't be surprised if they trade Wally Szczerbiak and the $55 million he has remaining on his contract for the next five years to the New York Knicks for 6-foot-9, 230-pound Kurt Thomas, who is 33.

With Hudson back and healthy, Szczerbiak, 27, is making too much money to justify the relatively limited playing time he would be expected to get alongside Trenton Hassell, Sam Cassell, Fred Hoiberg and Latrell Sprewell. Szczerbiak was raised in New York.

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/columnists/charley_walters/9359554.htm

a deal like this would have suited nice a while ago, but now it won't help at all..

dacash

Benchwarmer
wally is not what the knicks need we need a big man.trading away kurt for wally doesnt make much sense unless a third that has a usable big man is involved like wally to golden state,kurt to minnasota,and dampier to us unless it that trade. i would nt do it

starpula

Benchwarmer
This doesnt make sense. We have a 3 guard rotation and TT/Penny at the small forward. Right now, Nazr, Baker, Sweetny, Kurt, JYD is an adequate front line. Trading one of them for Wally would make it belwoe average.

dr.carpy

Benchwarmer
Wally Szczerbiak is soft! Why would anyone take a bloated contract we could never get rid of. Kurt Thomas has been over the past few seasons a reliable Knick, and the only guy that really seems to want to rebound. We get Szczerbiak, and goodbye playoffs. That like a mini KVH. Kurt plays D, Wally's a sieve.

Imiss#33

Benchwarmer
I don't see any sense in this trade from a Knick standpoint...unless a third team got involved...but who would want Wally for that contract? Has Scott Layden taken over a team again?????

e_D

Benchwarmer
Rumors are rumors.. Treat it as that. Theres alot of fuss being made about this topic.

Trust me, Isiah is not stupid enough to do it.

Imiss#33

Benchwarmer
Good point e_D this is just a bad rumor...maybe IT is putting it out there to get Golden State going on a sign and trade...at least that will be my new spin on this whole Wally thing

jsm0331

Benchwarmer
That would be a great deal for the Wolves and a horrible deal for the Knicks. Kurt Thomas is a valuable big man in the East. Why would the Knicks want a starting SF, when they already have Tim Thomas, unless Isiah is planning on moving Tim. Having Wally come off the bench would be a waste and same goes for Tim. This deal would make no sense at all for the Knicks.

youadmireme2

Benchwarmer
Trading H20 and Penny is tough... remember the contract issues.

And lets all remember.. The wolves "Offered" the Knicks have not agreed on anything so settle down :calm:

dasilva1079

Benchwarmer
Kurt got mad heart I would hate to see him get traded for Wally which been injured lately. Anyways its just a rumor. I seriously would rather see the Knicks keep Kurt and then get a center when they get some money to play with when pennie's contract expires.

e_D

Benchwarmer
nycefnl said:
How about we try to get a 3 team deal working and get rid of Allan Houston or Hardaway for Wally?.

I'll pass. I'd take a healthy (maybe even a hobbled) H20 over Wally anyday. While alot of ppl have been hating on H20 recently, I appreciate what he's done for our team, and still think he's got something left in him.

Penny, while no where what he used to be is still a key contributor, has a basketball mind and can lead by experience if need be.

All that being said, what about Wally? When he's not riding the bench with an injury, he'll ride the bench to come in and drop anywhere from 10-20, 25 on a good night. We dont need this guy, we're good with what we got.

torres

Rookie
I say we should trade KT and Moochie for Wally.

Our team could have a LOADED 10-man lineup:

PG:Marbury/Penny
SG:Houston/Crawford
SF:T.Thomas/Szczerbiak
PF:Sweetney/JYD
C: Mohammed/Baker

I would much rather give each frontcourt player around 24 minutes per game rather than have Kurt Thomas take around 34 minutes per game.

KT got exposed in the Nets series, it's time to trade him and move on from him. Sweetney and Baker deserved more minutes.

If Sweetney explodes next season, this team is definitely a contender.

With a lineup like this, no player would ever get tired.

Our backcourt will compliment the frontcourt.

The rebounding and defense will be covered by the frontcourt. The offense could be covered by the backcourt.

Imiss#33

Benchwarmer
Ok question #1 how do I put someone's quote into a box?
The following is from a previous post:

I think this frontline is way too suspect...we can't give up KT and not get Damp unless we get help at the 4 or 5 position...I don't know if this is true but my guess is that Penny, Crawford and Wally would be the most expensive bench in NBA history!

torres

Rookie

Imiss#33 said:
I don't know if this is true but my guess is that Penny, Crawford and Wally would be the most expensive bench in NBA history!

Who cares as long as it's effective right?

This lineup would all depend on how good Sweetney and Nazr could be, especially Sweetney.

If Sweetney can become the answer at PF that everyone is hoping for, then I think this lineup could work.

JYD and Baker could definitely deal with reserve frontcour players from the opponents.

nycefnl

Benchwarmer
Sweetney does compliment our "shooting guards" well but I think another answer is needed. A young answer. Dampier is too old. We need a good nucleus of young complimenting players. The next viable big man available is Stromile Swift. I haven't heard any rumors of Isiah even pursuing him. If we get Dampier great! But how about the PF in the league that are so quick. Sweetney can't guard anyone quick. Will Sweetney be able to step out and guard Rasheed Wallace or Jermaine O'Neal or be quick enough. I think that's what we should be worring about. Not stopping Shaq. Shaq is a three-quarter-wonder. He doesn't assert himself in fourth quarters and overtime because of his horrendous foul shooting. We have two answers for Wade (JC and SM), but no answers for: J. O'Neal, R. Wallace, A. Harrington. I'm afraid T. Thomas will be asked to guard these types of players.

torres

Rookie
Forget about Stromile Swift. Jerry West will match ANY offer he gets.

I also don't think Jerry West would prefer Kurt Thomas over Stromile Swift, so we could just forget about Swift. If West really wanted KT, we could have gotten Swift a loooong time ago.

Also, we got JYD to guard the PF's in the East and the big SF's, he's pretty descent.

Hmmm, yeah, that does sound like a good lineup!

torres said:

I would much rather give each frontcourt player around 24 minutes per game rather than have Kurt Thomas take around 34 minutes per game.

KT got exposed in the Nets series, it's time to trade him and move on from him. Sweetney and Baker deserved more minutes.

If Sweetney explodes next season, this team is definitely a contender.

With a lineup like this, no player would ever get tired.

Our backcourt will compliment the frontcourt.

The rebounding and defense will be covered by the frontcourt. The offense could be covered by the backcourt.