Better Start Looking 4 A New Coach!

Do You Think D'Antoni Will be Fired?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Red

TYPE-A
As tired and discussed as this topic was, something tells me Mike D'Antoni's days are numbered. (This isn't based on my opinion of his system or anything)

So far I've heard it from:

Various NBA analysts
Stephen A. Smith
Barkley
The New York Papers (Post & Times)
Just heard it from Mike & Mike (ESPN)

They keep reiterating the same points we discuss (to no end).

*Mike's teams don't rebound and defend
*He had a better cast that fell short in PHX
*A better PG will make us PHX east
*That Melo & Amare work when throwing the playbook out the window
*That if we get swept in this years playoffs or don't put up a fight and win at least 1 to 2 games, he will be replaced
*The longest he has is until the end of next season
*His issues are the stubborness and unwillingness to concede his system can't work in the playoffs
*That in the media, coaches and players say the right (politically correct) things- but behind closed doors there are grumblings

I know, there are many threads. I'll add a survey to this. Let's discuss, who are real viable options, do you believe this, and what can Mike do to save his job.

My instincts tell me the writing is on the wall.
BTW, I've heard that Mike was either jealous or vindictive when Melo got here and has purposely benched him in favor of his system and players.

This is based on being up using iso's and seeing D'Antoni bench Melo fr long (needed) stretches, and the fact its obvious Stat is tired but is getting more minutes.

Also that when we began this part of our journey we were winning even with Douglas, but coach insisted on not practicing and doing things his way, thus mucking up the litle chemistry we had.

Some of that makes sense to me. We were looking better when the trade went down, even with Douglas.

Red

TYPE-A
Btw, our magic number is 4.

The quicker we get to a lock, the quicker we can rest Stat and others who are burnt out and need rest for the playoffs.

And I forgot to add that Many believe we don't have the Players we need (bigs) and have players like Jeffries because those are (and aren't) the players Coach wants.

Make sense when bashing a coach. One of the worst threads ever.

PHX always ranked top 5 in offensive boards & top 12 in overall rebounding during his PHX years.

PHX had better teams? Nah... Really? We're still in rebuilding mode smart guy.

PHX fell short against SA, so what? How many rings did Riley & JVG win in NY? Exactly. They also fell short. Your point?

A better PG will make us PHX East? Thats nice to know considering the fact that PHX enjoyed a winning % of .650 inside an EXTREMELY TOUGH West; with two Western Conf Final apperances during his 4.5 years as coach. Here in the much weaker East? If we become "PHX East", that .650 winning % goes to .700 & those 2 Western Conf Finals become 2 trips to the Finals vs the West. But since when did the PHX of the West have Carmelo Anthony & Walsh?

"If we get swept".

He has as long as Walsh says so.

Players talk "grumble" behind closed doors? Wrong. He's respected by the league & players voted MDA as the #2 coach they'd love to play for.

MDA's system "couldn't work during the playoffs" lmao... Why? Because he couldn't get past the Dynasty Spurs, who were a dynasty well before MDA came to town? I'll just continue to use your own false remarks against the coach against you.

No success during the playoffs? Right.

Eliminated Kobe (the best thing since MJ) during back to back (two) consecutive trips to the playoffs. Dominated Kobe & the Lakers 4-1 & also has his 'system' come up clutch during a do or die, win or go home type of game 7 against Kobe & the Lakers. Spit with Dirk & the loaded Mavs 1-1 during two playoff series winning 6 of 12 games against Cuban's Mavs (50%). Swept the Grizz 4-0 with his 'system'. Also came up clutch during another game 7 to eliminate the Clippers.

You must be talking about his failures against the dynasty Spurs. How many other great coaches lost to the Spurs on their way to many of championships?

Who did MDA "Bench Melo for"? Last time I checked Melo has started each & every game & has averaged over 25 points.

Most NBA & sports fans in general laugh @ Stephen A.Smith & you take him seriously? That explains it all. Same goes for Barkley. He's a NY hater & has been one for 10+ years since Ewing left. People takes what Barkley has to say with a grain of salt.

Next year will be the last year for MDA? Wrong. Next year, once Walsh improves a playoff team into a serious contender we'll finish top 3 in the East & make the playoffs for the 2nd consecutive season. Once that happens, Dolan is not about to "fire" the coach that led HIS team to two consecutive trips to the playoffs after the franchise missed for 6 years straight.

The Knicks team GOT depleated (thnx to Dolan) during a past mid-season trade that became the largest NBA trade in NBA history and you wanna talk about "chemistry"? Laughable.

Which SF did MDA "bench" Melo for? I know it wasn't Walker or Shawne lmao. And Mike has designed two game winners for Melo. One he hit against the Grizz & the other he got called for an offensive charge.

REBUILDING MODE still.

STAT1

Starter
I think it depends on how they play in the playoffs. If they make it past the 1st round then I think he keeps his job guaranteed. But if they fizzle out in the 1st round & don't put up much of a fight while behind the scenes some key players are questioning this coach's approach, then I think he'll be fired.

I would highly consider Doc Rivers as a possible option if MDA gets the boot. Proven championship winner, preaches defense first, former Knick player that the fans would probably get behind, I think he probably makes the most sense. However he has been public about his desire to return home to Orlando to be closer to his family after this season.

TakMan

Rotation player
It's a combination of factors that have got the Knicks to where they are at the mo and the coach definitely is not without his share of the blame. His refusal to use Anthony Randolph for example, (at a time where the team was being mocked about the opposition always collecting more offensive rebounds than the Knicks did defensive) was criminal. Also sacking Corey Brewer without giving him one minute on the court is something that I'll never grasp, though I don't know whose decision this was. On the plus side it is the first time in years that this team has a roster which can be seen in a positive light, and they are making the playoffs. I'm left undecided on this one.

Red

TYPE-A

PHX always ranked top 5 in offensive boards & top 12 in overall rebounding during his PHX years.

PHX fell short against SA, so what? How many rings did Riley & JVG win in NY? Exactly. They also fell short. Your point?

A better PG will make us PHX East? Thats nice to know considering the fact that PHX enjoyed a winning % of .650 inside an EXTREMELY TOUGH West; with two Western Conf Final apperances during his 4.5 years as coach. Here in the much weaker East? If we become "PHX East", that .650 winning % goes to .700 & those 2 Western Conf Finals become 2 trips to the Finals vs the West. But since when did the PHX of the West have Carmelo Anthony & Walsh?

"If we get swept".

Players talk "grumble" behind closed doors? Wrong. He's respected by the league & players voted MDA as the #2 coach they'd love to play for.

You sound upset. I love when people can't accept the truth, D'Antoni included. Personally I think this is a great opportunity for coach to show how he can adjust to his players.

Without the rings Riley and JVG HAVE MORE RESPECT, and are revered more than Mike...hummmmm

Relative to our recent past, our progress is welcomed. And still NO ONE wants to be PHX east.

During that stretch, the Cav's and NJ went to the finals, not exactly the norm.

And I think the point is, size wins ultimately, and D'Antoni is seen as the main reason we have none. That's due to us tryng to get his type of players. Indisputable.

MDA's system "couldn't work during the playoffs" lmao... Why? Because he couldn't get past the Dynasty Spurs, who were a dynasty well before MDA came to town? I'll just continue to use your own false remarks against the coach against you.

Eliminated Kobe (the best thing since MJ) during back to back (two) consecutive trips to the playoffs. Dominated Kobe & the Lakers 4-1 & also has his 'system' come up clutch during a do or die, win or go home type of game 7 against Kobe & the Lakers. Spit with Dirk & the loaded Mavs 1-1 during two playoff series winning 6 of 12 games against Cuban's Mavs (50%). Swept the Grizz 4-0 with his 'system'. Also came up clutch during another game 7 to eliminate the Clippers.

You must be talking about his failures against the dynasty Spurs. How many other great coaches lost to the Spurs on their way to many of championships?

Who did MDA "Bench Melo for"? Last time I checked Melo has started each & every game & has averaged over 25 points.

Obviously who he was benched for is irrelevant. Why exactly he was benched is the issue.

And even Jordans Bulls lost, it means nothing.

What does mean something, is not only were Mda'S teams middle of the road defensively, they were beat by better defensive squads. Go figure, and that was with a power house squad.
Nash, Stat, Johnson, Marion, Diaw, Barbosa, Shaq, etc...

Face it, you don't have the ability to accept that this coach may not be right for this job, and that's not synonymous with saying he's a bad coach. Make the distinction please.

You can argue all you want, NY is a defensive city, and the NBA is a defensive game. Coach has had ample opportunity to showcase his prowess and he's come up short.

You think its a coincidence he's known for lack of defense? Or that even after acquiring his type players, the defensive stats leave something to be desired? Pay attention.

Most NBA & sports fans in general laugh @ Stephen A.Smith & you take him seriously? That explains it all. Same goes for Barkley. He's a NY hater & has been one for 10+ years since Ewing left. People takes what Barkley has to say with a grain of salt.

Next year will be the last year for MDA? Wrong. Next year, once Walsh improves a playoff team into a serious contender we'll finish top 3 in the East & make the playoffs for the 2nd consecutive season. Once that happens, Dolan is not about to "fire" the coach that led HIS team to two consecutive trips to the playoffs after the franchise missed for 6 years straight.

The Knicks team GOT depleated (thnx to Dolan) during a past mid-season trade that became the largest NBA trade in NBA history and you wanna talk about "chemistry"? Laughable.

Which SF did MDA "bench" Melo for? I know it wasn't Walker or Shawne lmao. And Mike has designed two game winners for Melo. One he hit against the Grizz & the other he got called for an offensive charge.

REBUILDING MODE still.

Barkley is a top 50 player, and watched this coach up close and personal. He is entitled to his opinion.

According to Smith, coach deserves until the end of the playoffs before deciding to go in another direction. He suggests Doc Rivers would be a good fit, I agree.

About the Knicks being "depleted"...

Wilson Chandler wasn't going to be signed, Moz got no real minutes. So essentially it was Felton, Gallo, Ar for Melo and Billups. And there's no doubt who we got is better.

We DID trade AR, an athletic big body that's needed because of coach. Now you want to talk about "rebuilding" and rosters? Really? How does Jennings, Lopez, and Double-double waiting to happen Anthony Randolph seem?

Oh that's right, in Europe an inconsistent SF is more useful. As is a big that primarily can hit a 15 footer is better than one that plays defense and rebounds.

Regardless of your anger, this really isn't just my stance, I've noted my opinions on coach way back. This is some agreeing from many vantage points.

You think its a coincidence we won using defense and going away from coach's philosophy?

As Melo said... "we threw the x's and o's out the window"
I wish he included you too.

Last edited:
Whats with this Doc love? Doc was blessed with a championship roster since day one, that still doesn't change the fact that foolish fans tried running Doc out of town before BOS even had a chance to make the playoffs. Doc was hated by many fans, until is HOF players proved them wrong.

Why cant people just admit the truth about MDA's NY situation?

-He took over for a cap hell laughing stock franchise 3 years ago, the same team that all the other top coaches wanted nothing to do with.

-Has yet to have an offseason to improve a lower tier playoff roster (this one) into a serious Eastern Conf Contender (this offseason).

-Only his first playoff team during a year where no one expected anything better than an 8th-6th seed, where his team got depleted during the NBA's largest trade in NBA history.

-That previous team also stood little chance to make it out of the 1st.

-MDA has not only started but also played more players than any coach during 3 years due to cap hell, aging players & expiring contracts etc etc

Red

TYPE-A
It's a combination of factors that have got the Knicks to where they are at the mo and the coach definitely is not without his share of the blame. His refusal to use Anthony Randolph for example, (at a time where the team was being mocked about the opposition always collecting more offensive rebounds than the Knicks did defensive) was criminal. Also sacking Corey Brewer without giving him one minute on the court is something that I'll never grasp, though I don't know whose decision this was. On the plus side it is the first time in years that this team has a roster which can be seen in a positive light, and they are making the playoffs. I'm left undecided on this one.

Brewer and his agent inquired as to getting minutes and playing time.

To that coach D'Antoni said...

No! Smh.

Red

TYPE-A
Whats with this Doc love? Doc was blessed with a championship roster since day one, that still doesn't change the fact that foolish fans tried running Doc out of town before BOS even had a chance to make the playoffs. Doc was hated by many fans, until is HOF players proved them wrong.

Why cant people just admit the truth about MDA's NY situation?

-He took over for a cap hell laughing stock franchise 3 years ago, the same team that all the other top coaches wanted nothing to do with.

-Has yet to have an offseason to improve a lower tier playoff roster (this one) into a serious Eastern Conf Contender (this offseason).

-Only his first playoff team during a year where no one expected anything better than an 8th-6th seed, where his team got depleted during the NBA's largest trade in NBA history.

-That previous team also stood little chance to make it out of the 1st.

-MDA has not only started but also played more players than any coach during 3 years due to cap hell, aging players & expiring contracts etc etc

He was hired at 6mil per for one reason, to get and coach Lebron James. It didn't happen, although you claim many players would love to play for him.

p0nder

Starter
I don't understand the Doc Rivers love either? I know he spent two mediocre years as a knick, but he was really an atlanta guy before he started coaching the celtics.

He's a defensive minded guy and likes to focus on that side of the ball, so i guess that is where you base your love, on coaching philosophy. But why would doc leave the celtics? If we were talking about unrealistic coaches we would love to have here, well I'd MUCH rather have a guy like Gregg Popovich, a balanced and fair coach that has always had his team near the top of the league defensively AND offensively.

But I digress... I don't see any writing on the wall about D'antoni leaving. If the knicks get to the playoffs and have even a glimmer of success, play hard against opponents, take a game or two, then he will be back next year. And after the off season, when we can mold the roster a little better, This team is going to come out poised to end up top 4 in the east. We will have home court advantage through the playoffs, we should win our first series since '99.

This upward trend should only continue, barring injury to our players. We can probably make ECF's next year and a few years following, if not better. As long as there is still progress and the team is getting better, I don't see how Walsh and Dolan can justify getting rid of D'antoni. It would mean bringing in a new coaching staff, adjusting the roster in significant ways, and basically throwing out a lot of the work that Donnie has done over the past 3 years.

And I do not see anything wrong with this. I know that you RED feel that the knicks will not win a championship with MDA's system in place. However it has been over 10 years since the knicks have seen real playoff success, if D'antoni can deliver success in the playoffs, improving on each season as we move towards our goal of a 'chip, then there is no way that he will be fired.

The only way D'antoni will be fired is if we have a total collapse on this team, the players scream bloody mutiny and donnie walsh dies. Thats pretty much it. You can save your time with this remove D'antoni stuff, becuase I don't see it happening. Not that it wouldn't be good for the team to remove him right now and replace him with a Gregg Pops/Jerry Sloan type of guy, just that it is practically impossible for D'ant to lose his job.

...Then again I never thought I would see Gallo traded either, so what do I know. that was for Melo tho. So I guess if Phil Jackson wanted to come coach the knicks it could happen...

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee

"If we get swept".

REBUILDING MODE still.

facepalm2.gif

The first 3 replies to the OP by the same dude.

It must be hard to be so desperate, seriously.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
While I have been VERY critical of the trade as I don't see Amare and Melo as good compliments of one another, and I fear we will be stuck with a crappy team without flexibility going forward........it is also clear D'Antoni's system is not the best compliment for the Amare/Melo tandem.

In order for this to work, I believe we need to build a team in the mold of the 2000-2001 76ers. Surround Melo and Amare with hard-nosed defensive players. Players like those 76er players...like a Eric Snow, George Lynch, Aaron McKie, Theo Ratliff and Dikembe Mutumbo.

And also have a coach like a Larry Brown that implements a game plan with a slow, grind-it-out offense with an intense defense.

To me, this seems to be the best way to build a contender with the Melo/Amare tandem. Now we just need to hope the reports of a more restrictive CBA coming are false. Or else this is all pointless and we will be Atlanta Hawks 2.0.

Red

TYPE-A
I don't understand the Doc Rivers love either? I know he spent two mediocre years as a knick, but he was really an atlanta guy before he started coaching the celtics.

He's a defensive minded guy and likes to focus on that side of the ball, so i guess that is where you base your love, on coaching philosophy. But why would doc leave the celtics? If we were talking about unrealistic coaches we would love to have here, well I'd MUCH rather have a guy like Gregg Popovich, a balanced and fair coach that has always had his team near the top of the league defensively AND offensively.

But I digress... I don't see any writing on the wall about D'antoni leaving. If the knicks get to the playoffs and have even a glimmer of success, play hard against opponents, take a game or two, then he will be back next year. And after the off season, when we can mold the roster a little better, This team is going to come out poised to end up top 4 in the east. We will have home court advantage through the playoffs, we should win our first series since '99.

This upward trend should only continue, barring injury to our players. We can probably make ECF's next year and a few years following, if not better. As long as there is still progress and the team is getting better, I don't see how Walsh and Dolan can justify getting rid of D'antoni. It would mean bringing in a new coaching staff, adjusting the roster in significant ways, and basically throwing out a lot of the work that Donnie has done over the past 3 years.

And I do not see anything wrong with this. I know that you RED feel that the knicks will not win a championship with MDA's system in place. However it has been over 10 years since the knicks have seen real playoff success, if D'antoni can deliver success in the playoffs, improving on each season as we move towards our goal of a 'chip, then there is no way that he will be fired.

The only way D'antoni will be fired is if we have a total collapse on this team, the players scream bloody mutiny and donnie walsh dies. Thats pretty much it. You can save your time with this remove D'antoni stuff, becuase I don't see it happening. Not that it wouldn't be good for the team to remove him right now and replace him with a Gregg Pops/Jerry Sloan type of guy, just that it is practically impossible for D'ant to lose his job.

...Then again I never thought I would see Gallo traded either, so what do I know. that was for Melo tho. So I guess if Phil Jackson wanted to come coach the knicks it could happen...

Doc was an offensive minded coach, who hired Tom Thibs to bulster his defense, knowng what was needed.

Do you live in new york city?

Crazy⑧s;171385 said:
facepalm2.gif

The first 3 replies to the OP by the same dude.

It must be hard to be so desperate, seriously.

Lol. No comment.

While I have been VERY critical of the trade as I don't see Amare and Melo as good compliments of one another, and I fear we will be stuck with a crappy team without flexibility going forward........it is also clear D'Antoni's system is not the best compliment for the Amare/Melo tandem.

In order for this to work, I believe we need to build a team in the mold of the 2000-2001 76ers. Surround Melo and Amare with hard-nosed defensive players. Players like those 76er players...like a Eric Snow, George Lynch, Aaron McKie, Theo Ratliff and Dikembe Mutumbo.

And also have a coach like a Larry Brown that implements a game plan with a slow, grind-it-out offense with an intense defense.

To me, this seems to be the best way to build a contender with the Melo/Amare tandem. Now we just need to hope the reports of a more restrictive CBA coming are false. Or else this is all pointless and we will be Atlanta Hawks 2.0.

Were your observations about Stat & Melo relative to this system?

According to some, based on our recent struggles being Atl 2.0 would be welcomed.

If you are of the mind that being in the playoffs and possibly advancing isn't enough then

There's no difference in saying being PHX 2.0 is where we're headed. To some like me, with our cap issues behind us, I wouldn't be satisfied because to me both weren't championship caliber.

The stats indicate without a top 10 defensive rated team, regardless of regular season victories, the odds are against you. Although that's not the entire formula, it is the foundation. Based on historic numbers, what confidence can anyone have that a roster built in MDA's mold can achieve this?

The best argument is to say "well if this great defensive player were acquired then they can make up for the lack of defense and rebounding"- which is a message in and of itself.

And i'd bet if ANY team added a great defender they would be better. Going from 28th to top 10 better, is a stretch.

iSaYughh

Starter

This. Is pretty much where I'm at; except I don't view this "MDA system" as some static, set in stone entity.

The nature of it is...or should be...adaptability; bc the overarching "system"/game theory itself is the antithesis of a rigid, true system.

No reason MDA's game theory inclinations and style can't be applied to a 'system' that perfectly suits Melo-Amare.

Melo is athletic, in shape, fast, strong, and an elite scorer. Amare speaks for itself.

If MDA can't adapt then he should go. As it would be pathetic and the pinnacle of a 1trick pony if he can't. And he should stick to doing leading NBA research, analysis, and theory -- like a professor, or teacher, who just can't do.

This would surprise me. But if it's the case..it's the case. MIA had an entire offseason and pre-season to work out a system befitting their core and the dynamism in it. And they still sputtered horribly for a while.

I'd give us/D'ant a dozen or so games into next year before making a conclusive judgement; I suspect..well, would bet the house..Walsh will too.

Including if we missed the playoffs (which we won't, but..).

Amare and Melo are extremely dynamic and athletic. Bottomline.

D'ant will be the ultimate fraud if he isn't able to truly match that dynamism and versatile capabilities in his own right, one way or another.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Just a quick question for everyone...how many coaches change their system for the players on the roster? Popovic maybe, but not many. Jackson (triangle), Larry Brown (slow methodical defensive), Jerry Sloan (pick and roll), Van Gundy (defensive).

This seems to be more about lack of defensive emphasis rather than system. The notion that the system and defense are mutually exclusive seems false.

Red

TYPE-A
Well, with the Knicks still ranked in the bottom half of the league, defensively, yielding 100-point games to the opposition as much as girl scouts give out cookies, now is as perfect a time as ever to zone in on D'Antoni and truly discover what he's made of.

[+] Enlarge
AP Photo/Bill Kostroun
Can Mike D'Antoni get his team focused for the final stretch of the season?
Will he continue to be "stubborn, and hell-bent on doing things his way," as Charles Barkley so eloquently put it, or will D'Antoni modify things and play to the strengths of the talent he has? Will Monday night's victory, in which the Knicks neutralized Dwight Howard early and fended off Howard and Jason Richardson late, become the norm? Or will we see a repeat of D'Antoni's squad collapsing in the fourth quarter against the Detroit Pistons on a Friday night -- only to have a day off and respond by yielding a 32-9 lead in the first quarter to a Milwaukee Bucks' team recognized as the worst offensive team in the league?

I love how the memory works. We look foolish against statistically inferior teams now...

and all of a sudden, we miraculously remember how "good defensively" we were before the trade. We weren't! And the trade has NOTHING to do with anything!

But more time is needed.smh

As someone pointed out

MIKE D'ANTONI'S TEAMS HAVE NEVER GIVEN UP LESS THAN 102 POINTS PER. IN 8 YEARS!

But miraculously we recall how good we were? And are crazy to expect the same?

Really? Crazy?

Doing the same thing OVER AND OVER, expecting DIFFERENT results is the definition of insanity -Einstein

Thinking you can convince me that there isn't an issue with this coach, specifically defense that has nothing to do with the players, while demonstrating little to no actual baskeball knowledge above the avg. fan...

Lunacy.