Something I noticed about D`Antoni

Scipio

Benchwarmer
Hi folks, greetings from merry old England.

I have just watched the game against the Nets on my league pass and noticed something about D`Antoni and I`d like your views about it.

Early in the third quarter, about ten minutes remaining, Melo stole the ball along the baseline, he ended up sitting in the Knicks bench area. The entire Knicks bench rose to their feet applauding, the assistant coach screamed encouragement to Melo and slapped his bumb. But, I noticed that D`Antoni just stood their with his arms crossed and showing nothing. He wasn`t applauding or encouraging the play of Melo. He wasn`t encouraging more of the same from the other players.

My point is this. Shouldn`t our coach be applauding this play and encouraging the team to play more like that. Why is he just standing there, arms crossed and not telling the players that that is what we need more of. Personally I am praying to my gods that D`Antoni gets sacked but I was wondering if anyone else noticed this and what do you think of it?

My hope is that he realized how terrible the team was playing and recognizing that we are light years behind what we need to be in order to be at a high level going into the playoffs

knowing dantoni i am probably wrong and hes just an idiot day dreaming about gallinari and how he is doing in denver

but im praying that he was stoic because he knew, even though we won in entertaining fashion last night

we played horrrrribly on the defensive end of the floor.

Some of the greatest coaches of all-time were stone cold, no facial expression, no emotion types of coaches. I seen Bernie Williams & Jeter come through with clutch HR's or base knocks & there has been plenty of times where Joe Torre acted as if he didn't even care. He's in the zone, has his game face on, & has more to worry about other than a big play. There big picture means more to a great coach. How mant times have you seen Bill Belichick run up & down the sidelines to give Brady a big time hug after a huge TD bomb or TD scoring drive? Exactly. I seen Rodman dive into the croud & into the Bulls bench 50+ times & Jackson never once changed his game face & shifted his attention to Rodman.

No one knows what MDA said to Melo after the game so lets stop acting like he wasn't proud of Melo for his overall play. MDA had a game to coach & a comeback to complete. Melo is paid damn near 20M per to make those types of plays on a consistant basis.

This is too much. First "the players quit on MDA" and now this?

I know what this thread & OP was about & it's about a bunch of nothing type of BS trying to make & turn nothing into something as if MDA has hatred or something against Carmelo due to "pride". Which is false.

I can find over 40 comments, remarks & quotes of MDA, giving Melo nothing but PRAISE.... Dating back before the USA team too.

This man doesn't have the type of "pride" that you all seem to believe he does. He's not a stupid man. He would have never accepted this job 3 years ago, just to lose for 2-3 years, while throwing his PHX winning % of .650 after 5 years down the drain & out the window if he had "too much pride". MDA took this job knowing that NY would lose for 2 or 3 years... Just for a chance to win & enjoy success here in NY later on. NY media is the toughest media in the world. What "pride"? He came here to lose for two or three years just for a CHANCE to win.

nyk_nyk

All Star
Some of the greatest coaches of all-time were stone cold, no facial expression, no emotion types of coaches. I seen Bernie Williams & Jeter come through with clutch HR's or base knocks & there has been plenty of times where Joe Torre acted as if he didn't even care. He's in the zone, has his game face on, & has more to worry about other than a big play. There big picture means more to a great coach. How mant times have you seen Bill Belichick run up & down the sidelines to give Brady a big time hug after a huge TD bomb or TD scoring drive? Exactly. I seen Rodman dive into the croud & into the Bulls bench 50+ times & Jackson never once changed his game face & shifted his attention to Rodman.

No one knows what MDA said to Melo after the game so lets stop acting like he wasn't proud of Melo for his overall play. MDA had a game to coach & a comeback to complete. Melo is paid damn near 20M per to make those types of plays on a consistant basis.

I understand what you are saying about those other coaches and teams, but remember they were already tough teams where the coach pretty much saw that as business as usual. We're talking about a Knicks team that sorely lacks hustle plays and rebounding. Personally, I think it would have been good to show some support for that type of play when it happened; seeing as how Dantoni would get excited on a 3 pointer made.

Scipio

Benchwarmer
I know what this thread & OP was about & it's about a bunch of nothing type of BS trying to make & turn nothing into something as if MDA has hatred or something against Carmelo due to "pride". Which is false.

I can find over 40 comments, remarks & quotes of MDA, giving Melo nothing but PRAISE.... Dating back before the USA team too.

This man doesn't have the type of "pride" that you all seem to believe he does. He's not a stupid man. He would have never accepted this job 3 years ago, just to lose for 2-3 years, while throwing his PHX winning % of .650 after 5 years down the drain & out the window if he had "too much pride". MDA took this job knowing that NY would lose for 2 or 3 years... Just for a chance to win & enjoy success here in NY later on. NY media is the toughest media in the world. What "pride"? He came here to lose for two or three years just for a CHANCE to win.

Wow, you really need to relax. I was just commenting on something that I noticed during the game and wanted to know what others thought. You must have had a bad day to turn my simple thread into something else which isn`t there.

STAT1

Starter

All valid points, however I don't think I've ever pegged MDA as a stone faced non-demonstrative coach. He's actually usually very expressive in his mannerisms. I dunno the play the OP is talking about nor do I really care if MDA is slapping Melo's butt or not (no homo) but I do think he could do a better job of encouraging hustle play especially from his stars if this is indeed the case.

Wow, you really need to relax. I was just commenting on something that I noticed during the game and wanted to know what others thought. You must have had a bad day to turn my simple thread into something else which isn`t there.
You have to forgive him.. he doesn't take criticism of his job very well.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee

If you don't mind, Queens, I'd like to come in to a thread without you having a bitch rant about something. A thread devoid of your grumblings.

I could put you on block, yes, but that doesn't change the fact that you turn every thread in to a bitch mode back and forth because you take offence to the opinion of other people that aren't talking about you, and the thread thusly becomes cluttered with quotes from you and others. And 26 posts a day makes for some very monotonous reading on the behalf of myself and others.

So I've been in to 3 threads today, and you're getting your vagina in a twist within all of them.

I hear Prozac is good for people like yourself.

MusketeerX

Rotation player
MDA is not the type of coach that does those things... he's not the type of coach that does... well... anything.

I think it just goes to show you that what we've been saying on these boards has been right all along. He likes to talk D, but not actually encourage it.

The only thing I've ever heard him say when he's got a mic on is "Let's go Let's go!" or yell at Toney Douglas, or when Gallo was here talk to him in Italian.

He's not a vocal coach. I think hes just thinking "we run the system, any questions just ask me."

Am I the only one who wouldn't mind like a Byron Scott? He reminds me of a Doc Rivers lite.

My problem with the OP was this:

"He wasn't applauding the play of Melo. He wasn't encouraging more of the same from the players".

When, before the game, MDA encouraged effort to begin with...

"With EFFORTS like Monday's game (ORL), the team will COME TOGETHER & we'll become BETTER because of it".

MDA stressed the importance of effort inorder for us to improve as a team heading into our NJ gm. Which led to a reporter stating...

"Coach D'Antoni, however, believes Monday's hard-fought victory against the playoff bound Magic should give his team a much-needed lift".

Which it did. That momentum gave us a lift in terms of being able to comeback from as many as 15 with an excellent 2nd half, that was full of nothing but energy, intensity & effort during the 2nd half vs NJ.

MDA had a game to focus on & coach. Which is more important than a "rah rah type of fan" during the course of a game. Melo gets paid over 15M to make those plays. It's expected. MDA stressed hustle before the game. He encourages effort.

"He wasn't applauding the play of Melo. He wasn't encouraging more of the same from the players".

"With EFFORTS like Monday's game (ORL), the team will COME TOGETHER & we'll become BETTER because of it".

MDA stressed the importance of effort inorder for us to improve as a team heading into our NJ gm. Which led to a reporter stating...

"Coach D'Antoni, however, believes Monday's hard-fought victory against the playoff bound Magic should give his team a much-needed lift".

Which it did. That momentum gave us a lift in terms of being able to comeback from as many as 15 with an excellent 2nd half, that was full of nothing but energy, intensity & effort during the 2nd half vs NJ.

MDA had a game to focus on & coach. Which is more important than a "rah rah type of fan" during the course of a game. Melo gets paid over 15M to make those plays. It's expected. MDA stressed hustle before the game. He encourages effort.
smh...
27e72286b1a116cf0d0f5136a8532040.gif

nuckles2k2

Superstar

Damn....talk about totally missing the point...but I'll play this game...

Answer me this, how come it took an assistant coach to get in STAT's face and chew him out in a game where his defense was nonexistent. Shouldn't it be the head coach who's holding his star players accountable to send a message to the entire team? He can do it either Coach Pop's way and chew him out right there, or Phil Jackson's way and send a message in the media...but no...MDA just stands there while Weber goes Popovich all over Amar'e and in the media MDA says things like ":shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug:ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh mmmmmmmmmmmmmm such is life ya know, i dunno" when asked about STAT's poor play and turnovers. So...he doesn't reprimand players on the court, he doesn't send messages in the media, and if he tries to hold them accountable privately...it ain't working.

The OP wasn't asking about encouraging effort in general, but applauding a player's hustle on the defensive end of the court...you know....where the Knicks are sorely lacking. You can "encourage effort" to your hearts content and it doesn't mean it'll happen (look at the Knicks on the defensive end for the majority of March, and look at STAT now) and then when someone finally gives you that effort on the defensive end, that you've allegedly been begging for, you shouldn't be the only guys standing there like this:

MIKEDANTONI.jpg

It doesn't look right.

TakMan

Rotation player

This would have some credibility if D'Antoni actually seemed to assert himself when things are going wrong. I've not once seen him do this when the Knicks are giving up rebound after rebound in their own paint. I don't see him attempting to wake the players up when they are allowing the opposition to shoot over 55% during games. He always appears dissatisfied with the way things are going, but never capable of turning things around. If we are to discuss highly paid players being paid to make plays like the one Anthony made, then perhaps we could focus our attention on a certain 'star' player that D'Antoni has had on his side throughout the year and previously in Phoenix, who gets paid tonnes of cash and still refuses to make these defensive plays. Why isn't D'Antoni expectant of him?

Last edited:

STAT1

Starter
Sometimes a good ass reeming will get your players' attention. I've seen Pop go off on Tim Duncan too. He doesn't play favorites & his players respect him for it. I respect Mike's unwillingness to embarass his players publically but he should only take that so far, at a certain point if a player is consistently slacking off on defense he has to be willing to confront that player about it without being so passive aggressive by freezing them out & denying them playing time. Those kinds of tactics will never win you respect.

pop-mad-o.gif

I dunno what's being said to Melo behind the scenes it could very well be that MDA has gotten on his case privately to stress the importance of him playing defense. Whatever the case may be Melo has shown a definite improvement on the defensive side of the ball. STAT needs to follow suit & do the same. There can be no favorites here, EVERYONE should be held accountable, not just guys like Toney Douglas, who is the only guy I have ever really seen MDA get on if he makes a mistake.

Exactly. One thing is for sure.

MDA has Anthony doing something, during the regular season, that not even Karl could force Melo to do after years of asking; which is play D' as a leader giving nothing but effort.

Before the trade, there were fans saying that A) Melo will never play D' under MDA & B) MDA will never be able to get Melo to focus or play defense. Proven wrong.

Now that Melo is playing with effort on defense, under MDA, those same types of MDA critics refuse to accept the fact that Melo is playing tough D'... under MDA.

If Amare doesn't have the heart to D-up.. There is almost nothing a head coach can do. You cant help someone who refuses to help themself in life. I think it's due to the fact that Amare is our only talented BIG who can board & block shots. He has no help. He's not even a Center so his job is extremely tough every night.

Melo
Chandler
Felton
TD23
Billups
Fields
Carter
Walker
JJ
Shawne
Turiaf
even Gallo

All of those guys play(ed) with EFFORT under MDA. It's up to Amare...

YungMelo15

Benchwarmer
I kept rewinding that play on the DVR, and after Melo got up and was running past Dantoni, MDA actually did pat him on the back. So no MDA hate for me on that play.

Melo has never been a poor 1 on 1 defender tho, his team D is what george karl and the media questioned.

Not to make an excuse for him, but offensive players seem to slack off on D sometimes because they are worried about not getting tired on on offensive end.

The great ones take offense and defense as a personal challenge. IE jordan, kobe, barkley etc...

I dont think the coaching has shi*to do with Melo's play lately. I just think he wants to make a statement to his teammates and the city of NY that he is worth every penny and by no means over rated as some people call him.

I hate Lebron with a passion, but i cant deny he plays great team defense. That chase down block sh*t is someting he started doing so he can people can say he is a grat defender.

I honestly think Melo is better, he just doesnt put that effort into it sometimes.

When the playoffs start, Melo will be the same Melo from the playoffs 2 years ago, he got sh*t to prove.

nyk_nyk

All Star
Exactly. One thing is for sure.

MDA has Anthony doing something, during the regular season, that not even Karl could force Melo to do after years of asking; which is play D' as a leader giving nothing but effort.

Before the trade, there were fans saying that A) Melo will never play D' under MDA & B) MDA will never be able to get Melo to focus or play defense. Proven wrong.

Now that Melo is playing with effort on defense, under MDA, those same types of MDA critics refuse to accept the fact that Melo is playing tough D'... under MDA.

If Amare doesn't have the heart to D-up.. There is almost nothing a head coach can do. You cant help someone who refuses to help themself in life. I think it's due to the fact that Amare is our only talented BIG who can board & block shots. He has no help. He's not even a Center so his job is extremely tough every night.

Melo
Chandler
Felton
TD23
Billups
Fields
Carter
Walker
JJ
Shawne
Turiaf
even Gallo

All of those guys play(ed) with EFFORT under MDA. It's up to Amare...

LOL! Your hilarious man. Your trying to make it seem like Melo NEVER played defense under George Karl. Where are you getting this crap from???

I could easily say Rambis has Darko and AR doing something during the regular season that not even MDA could force them to do after one season and one half of asking, which is play D.

These Knicks have been horrible defensively for too long for you to take two good defensive games by Melo and make it seem like MDA's got it figured out. If anything, I think Melo just took it upon himself to just play harder. Like he said. "we just threw out all the X's and O's and just played basketball"