mike d

NewYork 21 Knicks

Benchwarmer
I dont know if anyone read the article in espn about mike focusing on defense by stephen a smith. he makes alot of valid points about that suns team that won over 60 when they were projected to not even make the playoffs. the joe johnson, stat and nash incidents. he agrees with us all that he needs to play better d, i for one have always been on the fence with his coaching style but i do think its stand up how he comes out to the media and admits the teams problem. definitely respectable.

iSaYughh

Starter
I dont know if anyone read the article in espn about mike focusing on defense by stephen a smith. he makes alot of valid points about that suns team that won over 60 when they were projected to not even make the playoffs. the joe johnson, stat and nash incidents. he agrees with us all that he needs to play better d, i for one have always been on the fence with his coaching style but i do think its stand up how he comes out to the media and admits the teams problem. definitely respectable.

Kind of like us this year....

PaPZ187

Benchwarmer
Kind of like us this year....

I wouldnt say we are that big of a surprise, after we signed STAT I thought we would atleast compete for the 8th seed at worst and currently we are 7th. STAT did play out of his mind for most of the season, the biggest factor in us being a playoff team, IMO.

As for MDA, if he can adapt and coach respectable defense than I have no problem with the man. I just want a coach that will give us the best chance to win, some may call fans like myself "fake" for wanting the best coach for the franchise, I dont really give a f*ck as long as we win.

NewYork 21 Knicks

Benchwarmer
I wouldnt say we are that big of a surprise, after we signed STAT I thought we would atleast compete for the 8th seed at worst and currently we are 7th. STAT did play out of his mind for most of the season, the biggest factor in us being a playoff team, IMO.

As for MDA, if he can adapt and coach respectable defense than I have no problem with the man. I just want a coach that will give us the best chance to win, some may call fans like myself "fake" for wanting the best coach for the franchise, I dont really give a f*ck as long as we win.

agreed, its not fake to wants wins and everyone wants whats best for this team, im just saying it seems like hes trying and i know that he really wants to be here more then any other coach would have 2 years ago. i think he deserves the time he has here whether or not he stays here next year im gonna be behind him for the rest of this year.

iSaYughh

Starter

I thought we'd compete/fight for the 8th, too. But not many thought we'd essentially be walking in the playoffs, with a legit shot at the 6th. Many thought we'd whiff the playoffs, too. U predicted well broheem, but many -- on here, and "pro" analysts had us missing playoffs for sure, or scrapping into 8th at best.

Agree w ur last sentence above all else. If we are continuing to grow and get stronger progressively....I'm good. If at any time we stumble and a correction in player or personally would make a clear difference -- do it.

PaPZ187

Benchwarmer
agreed, its not fake to wants wins and everyone wants whats best for this team, im just saying it seems like hes trying and i know that he really wants to be here more then any other coach would have 2 years ago. i think he deserves the time he has here whether or not he stays here next year im gonna be behind him for the rest of this year.

Yeah I definatley see where some would have loyalty or atleast want MDA to have the rest of the season at the minimum to have a chance to succeed since he took the job back when we sucked and had no shot of winning.

Trust me, I would like nothing better than to have MDA lead us to a title, hell Im Italian myself (lol) why wouldnt want another "piasan" leading the team to a title. I personally dont think he can, but I am going to try to stay open minded and just support him and the team atleast through the playoffs.

If sh*t hits the fan, especially going into next year/begining of next season, then I think it would be time to move on, but we will just have to wait and see.

PaPZ187

Benchwarmer
I thought we'd compete/fight for the 8th, too. But not many thought we'd essentially be walking in the playoffs, with a legit shot at the 6th. Many thought we'd whiff the playoffs, too. U predicted well broheem, but many -- on here, and "pro" analysts had us missing playoffs for sure, or scrapping into 8th at best.

Agree w ur last sentence above all else. If we are continuing to grow and get stronger progressively....I'm good. If at any time we stumble and a correction in player or personally would make a clear difference -- do it.

Your right, I am almost positive there were doubters that our team would fail to atleast get the 8th seed, not sure why personally as it doesnt take even a winning record to get the 8th in the east and adding STAT gave us a legit top 10-15 player to lead the team, but it is what it is. Just glad to be in the playoffs!!!

As for MDA and players/personall I think thats what we all need to keep in mind is that regardless if you believe in MDA or not, or other players or not, we all still want the best for the Knicks, that would be the ONLY reason why I would want to keep or dump a coach.

Quote from MDA :

"To be honest, defense is all we're concentrating on," D'Antoni exhaled, forcing his bottom lip and eyes to bulge. "Offense comes easy. But defensively, it's what we're really concentrating on. And again, with younger guys and guys that are more comfortable with offense than defense, we do play small. We spread the floor. We play a smaller team, a faster team, because we believe we'll put up a lot of points and it gives us the best chance to win. Obviously, sometimes we pay a price for that."
Wow i can't believe it! Finally this guy starts concentrating on defense.

EDIT:

"The reason why we didn't win a title in Phoenix is because our defense wasn't good enough," D'Antoni explained. "That's a fact. That's a fair, critical assessment of our team. I was there. I know that was the problem. But here's the thing: Did anybody really think when we started that we were going to win the title? They had us not making the playoffs, then we won 62 games. Well, I understand our defense needed to be better, but at the same time we were maximizing our talents, what we did best, and we won 62 games.
"The only thing I hate -- and again, I know this sounds like an excuse -- is how folks forget that Joe Johnson broke bones in his face and the third year, Amare [Stoudemire] comes back from his injury, but the hip-check incident [with Robert Horry and Steve Nash] takes place, prompting the suspensions, and we ultimately lose that series.
"So now, believe me, I understand where folks are coming from. I know we need to continue to get better defensively. I've got to do a better job of getting them to hone in. If I do it, all this noise will go away."

Last edited:
Before you can teach team D you must 1st speak about it. I'm glad I've been hearing MDA + Melo talk effort, focus & team defense before & after games.

He's right about one thing... He maximized his talents with PHX.

This team has the potential to become a really good defense next year. Fields & Douglas are both on the verge of becoming strong defensive players. TD23 can be used to attack the head of the offense (PG) & Fields has all the ability, talent & potential to become a very strong peremeter defender. Now that Melo is playing for the Knicks? He's playing with New York pride. When Melo D's up? He's a top 5 defensive SF. As it stands? Amare leads us in both rebounds & blocked shots. With no help from the C position. Add a talented & PROVEN Center during the offseason? & the sky becomes the limit for Amare & our entire D improves over night. Lack of size & rebounding ability is our main problems. 6 different players have played @ the C position; proof that a proven C is on it's way thanks to Walsh.