Some say TD23 doesn't have what it takes or the potential to become a starting PG...

smokes

Huge Member
I'm not sure if a lot of these views are just based on our offensive falling apart down the stretch at Philly.

Guys while I agree TD is nowhere near ready to start as our PG to say he doesnt have the court vision and awareness is false IMO.

He choked in Philly, I think everyone took a big hit when Billups went down, it wasn't just TD you could see the entire team deflate.

But seriously, this guy has all the skills to be a PG in this league some of them just need to be nurtured further than others. We know TD can shoot, man-defend, play in the lanes, handle, he is quick. Now he needs to add a couple of go-to dribble moves along with constant passing drills to develop his vision and awareness. It is there it's just not as defined as his other skills.

Before we acquired Billups I would have been more comfortable leaving TD23 in the combo-guard 6th man spot that he has been playing well all season. But now we lost Felton, a 40mpg "pass first" PG for Billups, a seasoned vet who's game is quite similar to the game TD is developing. If we keep Billups on over the next couple of years it would be silly not to have TD learn behind him at the point.

I have to agree with the Charlie Ward comparison, TD just has a little more scoring ability and a little less passing ability as of right now.

YungMelo15

Benchwarmer
Everyone knows TD is a talented player, and is still developing, but he is NOT a championship level starting PG.

I think if he was forced to be the starting PG he would shine as a scorer and defender, but not as a leader that PG's should be.

I agree with the few who stated he should be 6th man with about 25-30 minutes (depending on the roster/lineup).

He will continue to get better, but he should play more of an off guard, where he can spot up and shoot. Utilize his strengths, let him be a KEY role player (ala manu ginobili, jason terry) and he will be just fine.

I don't know whether or not those numbers TD puts up as a backup are true enough to base an argument off of.

He's not a backup in the truest sense of the word. He gets a bunch of minutes at the 2 position playing alongside Carter or Billups at the point because MDA likes to play it like that.

bboycustom92

Benchwarmer
I wouldn't mind him being our starter after billups ends his time as our starter. It'll give us cap to sign a center =D

TD doesn't need to turn into Steve Nash, you don't see Billups,Parker ,and Baron Davis averaging 10 assists per game and by learning from Billups,TD will become a solid pg.

Exactly Amare. It's more than just CB4 though; it's MDA & CB4 both developing, teaching & showing him the ropes of the NBA. It's already starting to pay off during the 1st year that he's gained & earned playing time. He could be on the verge of improving big time.

Another strong game for TD23. Bad NJ team with D-Will or no D-Williams.... We were also without Amare but that couldn't stop Douglas from putting up 10 points, 4 boards & NINE assist's (as a backup to Billups who put up I believe 20+ points). TD23 had 5 assist's alone heading into the half. Also had at least 2 or 3 nice passes that led to another pass for an assist from the guy he led the ball to in the first place.

I dream of a top 15-10 defense with our offensive attack. TD23 is the PG I want. He could seriously become an All-NBA 1st team defensive player out of the PG position; his defense is that good.

Douglas is also starting to see the court, react & read opposing D's much better too. He's made some OUTSTANDING passes as of late!

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Recently Douglas has finally stopped looking for his shot too much. Again, that was RECENTLY. Already he has developed some fancy passing (in a good way) and some play making. To go from looking to pass to making plays in such a short amount of time is impressive. Scorer, passer, AND defender? Has a lot of potential.

KFFQ, please stop calling Billups CB4. Reminds me of Bosh lol.

Don't let it get to you Jumper... We all know CB4 is the real CB4. The other "CB4" can only dream of leading his team to a chip as a Finals MVP ahah.

I agree with everything you've stated. He's developing, progressing & improving by the week/month. He's starting to pass more instead of taking foolish shot attempts. He's begining to see the floor better with court vision & he's also starting to look for the easy passes a lot more. As we've both mentioned? Kid is starting to drop some DIMES with excellent play-making passes. His talent, heart, skill set, ability, potential & fight is scary good for only a 2nd year player! He can drive & finish @ the rim. He has passing ability. He's an explosive scorer & also plays defense like them throw-back Knicks of the 90's that I loved.

Even during his off night during the 2nd half vs Philly... He still came up clutch & saved his best for last scoring 7 under 1:45. Draining those pressure free throws were key. He's all NY heart & will never quit on himself or a game.