Chris Singleton

Since we need more defense and a backup for Fields+Amare how about Chris Singleton? He's 6'9,strong,can guard multiple positions,good rebounder,and he is the best defender in this years draft. He plays SF/PF but he can guard the opposing teams best wing player (Wade,Kobe,Allen etc).If we get him we won't need to go after a backup SG+PF and we can resign Billups for 5-6 mil so we can go after Tyson Chandler.

Here is what i think Donnie should do this offseason:

-Draft Chris Singleton
-Let Turiaf,Mason,Brown,and Jeffries walk
-Resign Billups for 5-6 mil
-Resign Shawne Williams for 2 mil + resign Carter and Sheldon
-Sign Tyson Chandler with what we have left

NBA Comparison: Luc Richard Mbah a Moute

Strengths: A small forward with terrific size and length for the position … He is an explosive leaper and has next level athleticism … A very good player in transition, he runs the floor extremely hard and is able to finish plays above the rim in open lane situations … His upper body is well built, and he has the strength to move defenders on drives to the basket … Has developed into a formidable catch and shoot threat … With his feet set he can shoot the ball with range and fairly consistently knock down jumpers from deep … Shows the ability to make shots from the NBA three point line … His biggest impact is on the defensive end, where his size, length, athleticism and terrific instincts make him a lockdown defender … He possesses all the tools to be able to translate his defense to the NBA level … Can guard multiple positions … His ability to anticipate and jump into passing lanes combined with shotblocking, make him a very rare threat on the defensive side of the ball … He is a blue-collar player and is capable of impacting the game without needing the ball in his hands or getting plays called for him … A solid rebounder, he is especially good on the O glass, where he uses his length and athleticism to get to rebounds …

He's a good prospect but not what we need. I much rather draft Faried to backup the PF & maybe even the C position. We lack rebuilding & no college prospect boards better than Faried. Kid leads the entire nation in rebounding.

If we're looking for perimeter D' to help develope Fields? I don't want a rookie being thrown into the fire on a championship contening team for that situation. I want a proven veteran perimeter defender (for cheap) such as a Shane Battier or maybe even Tayshaun Prince.

I wanna keep JJ though. He plays with heart & defensive intensity. Once we add a potential FA center such as DeAndre, Nene, Chandler or even Dalembert + a rebounder? JJ no longer has to be forced to try & defend the C position; when he's a natural SF-PF combo who's best when defending the perimeter. I want JJ on the roster. He's a defensive player who knows his role as a defensive role player. Hard to come by in today's NBA. I'd love to bring back Billups for much cheaper though. Moving Turiaf also saves 4M in cap.

PaPZ187

Benchwarmer
While I dont watch a ton of college basketball, I have watched Singleton here and there and like what I see. He looks like he could definatley be at the least a solid role player for a contender with his defense ability and if he can develop a consistant 3pt shot from the corner then he could really be an valuable piece.

It all depends how the draft shakes out.....while I like Singleton, if we can get a legit PG or Big Man then I say do it. If there arent any legit players they like at the PG or PF/C position left, and Singleton is avaliable I would have no problem going after him. I guess it all depends whats on the board when we are on the clock.

He's a good prospect but not what we need. I much rather draft Faried to backup the PF & maybe even the C position. We lack rebuilding & no college prospect boards better than Faried. Kid leads the entire nation in rebounding.

If we're looking for perimeter D' to help develope Fields? I don't want a rookie being thrown into the fire on a championship contening team for that situation. I want a proven veteran perimeter defender (for cheap) such as a Shane Battier or maybe even Tayshaun Prince.

I wanna keep JJ though. He plays with heart & defensive intensity. Once we add a potential FA center such as DeAndre, Nene, Chandler or even Dalembert + a rebounder? JJ no longer has to be forced to try & defend the C position; when he's a natural SF-PF combo who's best when defending the perimeter. I want JJ on the roster. He's a defensive player who knows his role as a defensive role player. Hard to come by in today's NBA. I'd love to bring back Billups for much cheaper though. Moving Turiaf also saves 4M in cap.
I can't believe i'm saying this but you have a point,maybe Singleton can be our plan b if Faried somehow gets taken before us?Also i don't think we'll be able to afford Prince but maybe Battier will sign for 1-2mil so he can finally get a championship ring?

Yeah, Prince would be a little more expensive only because of age, but Battier is still very good as a perimeter defender & just like I enjoy the ways Billups is helping the development of Douglas; I feel Battier would become a dream come true for Fields because other than Melo, Fields is actually our best perimeter defender (or at least has the potential to become so). I think Battier would be an awsome 7th man off the bench to man up with opposing teams #1 offensive SG-SF (When Melo is out).

Buy out CB's contract & save 12M. Re-Do the contract of both Melo & Amare & save 1.5 from each. 3M saved combined. Move Turiaf & our 1st or 2nd to land Faried around 12-14. Saves 4M from Turiaf. So far we've saved 19M.

Sign DeAndre for 7. Leaves us with 12. Sign Faried for 1.2. Leaves us with 10.8 Sign Battier for 2.5. Leaves with 8.3 Bring back JJ, Carter & Shelden for a combined 3.3. Leaves us with 5.3 & enough to sign Billups.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
Yeah, Prince would be a little more expensive only because of age, but Battier is still very good as a perimeter defender & just like I enjoy the ways Billups is helping the development of Douglas; I feel Battier would become a dream come true for Fields because other than Melo, Fields is actually our best perimeter defender (or at least has the potential to become so). I think Battier would be an awsome 7th man off the bench to man up with opposing teams #1 offensive SG-SF (When Melo is out).

Buy out CB's contract & save 12M. Re-Do the contract of both Melo & Amare & save 1.5 from each. 3M saved combined. Move Turiaf & our 1st or 2nd to land Faried around 12-14. Saves 4M from Turiaf. So far we've saved 19M.

Sign DeAndre for 7. Leaves us with 12. Sign Faried for 1.2. Leaves us with 10.8 Sign Battier for 2.5. Leaves with 8.3 Bring back JJ, Carter & Shelden for a combined 3.3. Leaves us with 5.3 & enough to sign Billups.

NBA contracts can't be renegotiated downward, you'd have to sign a guy to a fresh, new contract....but to do that we'd have to release STAT and renounce Melo's rights and then outright release him too....it doesn't work.

Edit: Plus there's obviously a rookie salary scale and picks 12-14 have been close to the $2M range, in the initial season, I'm not sure where you got 1.2M from for Faried....but that doesn't work either, that's just a number you pulled out of no where.

Last edited:
C: DeAndre / Shelden / Faried
PF: Amare / Faried / Shelden
SF: Melo / Battier / JJ
SG: Fields / Battier / Walker
PG: Billups / Douglas / Carter

DeAndre
Amare
Melo
Fields
Billups

That starting 5 competes with any starting 5 out of the east & dominates Miami.

6th: TD23
7th: Battier
8th: Faried

9th: Walker
10: Shelden

11th: JJ
12th: Carter

That bench is fully loaded with everything. Scoring (TD & Walker). Rebounding (Faried, Shelden, JJ). Defense (Battier, TD23, Carter & JJ). Leadership (Battier & Carter) etc etc.

You want defense to protect a lead?

C: DeAndre
PF: Amare (He's a star with C help)
SF: Melo
SG: Battier
PG: TD23

You want a BIG rebounding lineup?

PF: Faried
SF: Amare
SG: Melo
PG: Billups

You want youth & ENERGY?

SF: Fields
SG: Walker

You want PURE offense?

C: Amare
PF: Melo
SF: Walker
SG: TD23

You want a veteran lineup?

C: Shelden
PF: Amare
SG: Carter

2nd string?

Shelden
Faried
Battier
TD23
Carter

CONTENDER

STAT1

Starter
C: DeAndre / Shelden / Faried
PF: Amare / Faried / Shelden
SF: Melo / Battier / JJ
SG: Fields / Battier / Walker
PG: Billups / Douglas / Carter

DeAndre
Amare
Melo
Fields
Billups

That starting 5 competes with any starting 5 out of the east & dominates Miami.

6th: TD23
7th: Battier
8th: Faried

9th: Walker
10: Shelden

11th: JJ
12th: Carter

That bench is fully loaded with everything. Scoring (TD & Walker). Rebounding (Faried, Shelden, JJ). Defense (Battier, TD23, Carter & JJ). Leadership (Battier & Carter) etc etc.

You want defense to protect a lead?

PF: Amare (He's a star with C help)
SG: Battier

You want a BIG rebounding lineup?

SF: Amare
SG: Melo

You want youth & ENERGY?

SF: Fields
SG: Walker

You want PURE offense?

C: Amare
PF: Melo
SF: Walker
SG: TD23

You want a veteran lineup?

C: Shelden
PF: Amare
SG: Carter

2nd string?

Shelden
Faried
Battier
TD23
Carter

CONTENDER

How do you propose we sign Deandre & Battier & still have the cap space left over to allot for our 1st round draft pick & resigning Chauncey Billups? Even assuming guys like JJ, Walker, AC & Shelden are all coming on with veteran's minimum contracts (which is also somewhat of a stretch), unless the salary cap goes up by a pretty huge margin there's no way you can realistically put that roster together for next season. Not to mention you forgot to include Balkman's salary who's already under contract for the next 2 seasons.

Take a look & examine our cap situation for next season & consider the fact that in years where your team has cap space you are not awarded any exceptions to use to sign free agents even under the old CBA. The new CBA will likely be an even more conservative system so exceptions might be done away with altogether & there is a very good chance that a hard cap might be instituted.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/new_york.htm

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Wake Up

Billups contract for next year is $14.2M, not $12M. We have the option of buying him out for $3.7M, an option I believe we must exercise within 5 days of the end of the season. The $3.7M buy-out will count against our cap. Thereafter Billups is likely to command more than $6M. Even if we sign him for $6M, thoough we would save about $4M in cap space, we would still have virtually zero cap space under the current CBA. It is not likely to get better under a new CBA. We will not have room for a DeAndre Jordan or any reasonable big.

I keep writing the same thing. No one disputes it. Yet too many seem to think we can keep Billups and pay for a free agent big.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
Billups contract for next year is $14.2M, not $12M. We have the option of buying him out for $3.7M, an option I believe we must exercise within 5 days of the end of the season. The $3.7M buy-out will count against our cap. Thereafter Billups is likely to command more than $6M. Even if we sign him for $6M, thoough we would save about $4M in cap space, we would still have virtually zero cap space under the current CBA. It is not likely to get better under a new CBA. We will not have room for a DeAndre Jordan or any reasonable big.

I keep writing the same thing. No one disputes it. Yet too many seem to think we can keep Billups and pay for a free agent big.

Yea the math says exactly what you're saying. I've always thought our best chance was to cross our fingers and hope that the MLE survives the next CBA, draft a PG this season, and go after a serviceable big with the MLE or with the money that comes off the books with Chauncey's deal after next year.

I don't know if it's worth it to buy him out this season since we need him at least one more year. Whether he runs the point for one more year and mentors our young PG at $14M or whatever his new deal is + the extra $3.7M...it doesn't leave enough to get Nene, Tyson, Marc (never were, he's gonna get reupped), or DeAndre (I see the Clipps keeping him too).

I think there are enough solid bigs currently in the league where one can be had at a later time and date, I'd rather take the risk on drafting a PG as opposed to a big. Size is the immediate need to contend, a PG in the draft to learn under Billups and a size with either the MLE this year (not likely) or after Billups cleanly comes off the books next year, is ideal for the longterm.

Then i guess we're screwed?