Anyone else remember and miss the Eastern Conf of the early-to-late 90's?

I know I do.

Just looking at playoff teams of this year has me reminiscing about the 90's... I miss those years.

I love our future with Melo & Amare; but nothing can replace my childhood years & dreams of falling in love with the Knicks & the NBA as a whole. I collected sports cards like a bat out of hell & still have every every Knicks game saved starting from 92 recorded on VCR tapes. Plan on starting to watch alot of em starting tonight with my older bro leading into the playoffs. Playoff zone is right around the corner baby.

The Pacers aren't a serious threat but it reminds me of the 90's again... The East is back. CHI, NY, INDY, MIA, ORL & ATL. Missing the Pistons of the Thomas, Dumars & Rodman days though.

CHI: MJ23-Pippen-Horace-Longley-BJ-Paxon-Tony K-Rodman-Kerr / Rose-Noah-Boozer-Kirk-Deng.

NY: Ewing-Starks-Oakley-Mason-Herb-Charles Smith-Harper-Hubert / Amare-Melo-Billups-TD23-Fields-Turiaf.

INDY- Reggie-Smitz-Jackson-Dale & Antonio Davis-Aaron McKie / Granger-Hibbert-Tyler (Don't know too much about em).

ORL: Penny-Shaq-Dennis 3D Scott-Horace / Howard-Nelson-Richardson-Turk.

ATL: Mutombo-Steve Smith-Mookie Blaylock / Horford-Josh Smith-Joe Johnson.

MIA: Mourning-Killer Crossover Hardaway-PJ Brown-Anthony Carter /LeBron-Wade-Bosh.

I'm sure I left a lot of players off of their respected teams; it's been too long. I feel the Bulls were my most hated rival (I feared MJ like no other. Would drop 50 on us with the flu!) but I feel the Pacers were our best rivals. Spike vs Reggie & the Garden calling Reggie by his sister name "Sheerrylll Sherrylll" I loved it. MIA was a rival but it just didn't feel the same, even with all the fighting. I miss those days though.

I hope the Nba goes back that type of physical
game, where "superstars" didn't need whistles to
get points. Where big men actually grabbed rebounds:alert:
and where no one would have paid Joe Johnson or
Bosh Max Contracts:alert::boohoo:.

As for Playoffs this year has the making to be one of the best
seasons ever!!!!:thumbsup: Hoping the Knicks pull the Celtics and
give them a run for their whole money now they have no Perk or Nate
or Daniels. Shit besides the threat of PP and Allen they really have no scorers

P.S we have no Oakley type big man that will slap
the shit out of someone. We need that type of toughness
Turiaf is too nice of a guy to be like that, I want Shelden
to take that role of a guy who fouls HARD!!!

The NBA pretty much took defense out of the league for some reason. Guards were always allowed to hand check & apply pressure-body contact on opposing Guards; that's not the case anymore. I miss those days of real NBA basketball & defense. Used to be a street ball type of mentallity back then. Starks went to battle with MJ.

BIG'S such as Hakeem (Best low post moves I've ever seen). The Dream.

Ewing (Great all-around defender; Smooth base-line jumper).

Robinson (Silent killer like Duncan)

Barkley (Freak of nature).

Smitz (Best mid-range shot I've seen from a BIG). The Dunkin Dutchman was deadly.

Mutombo (Greatest shot-block I ever seen play the game). Finger says no-no.

Rodman (Will never be another rebounder like crazy ass drag-queen Rodman). Bad Boy.

Shaq (Just a bully & full of amazing power down low). Big Diesel.

Mourning (Ewing & Zo were the best defensive BIG's I seen back then) Zo= Shot blocking machine.

I can go on & on... The NBA & Refs allowed those guys to bang & GO TO WAR down low!!!!!

How did I forget the mail man Karl Malone?!? There were soooo many great BIG's it's not even funny. Even Longley would dominate today's NBA.

Shawn Kemp was also the greatest power-dunker I ever seen until now with Griffin.

Muggsy Bogues & Spud Webb wouldn't have survived in today's NBA without being able to press & hand check. Bogues was a amazing @ stealing the ball & Nate Robinson reminds me so much of Webb & thats why I loved lil Nate ahah.

I'm not sure the Knicks will ever find another Oaktree or Mason... Two crazy dudes right there; especially Mason & Oakley was the heart of this defense with Ewing & Starks. Not sure we'll ever have our very own Oak & Mason... Not sure the NBA would ever allow it again.

The NBA made this league a high scoring league & thats why I love MDA's coaching. He takes advantage of what the NBA gave him on a silver platter. Offense. Still gotta defense against it, but it's extremely hard to these days.

I remember JJ putting his hand around Melo's neck so JJ is our tough 1

petescud

Starter
I think i would lierally die ifi had to relive us losing to the pacers again or losing to the Rockets again....sorry

JoHnNyBoXeR

Benchwarmer
I know I do.

Just looking at playoff teams of this year has me reminiscing about the 90's... I miss those years.

I love our future with Melo & Amare; but nothing can replace my childhood years & dreams of falling in love with the Knicks & the NBA as a whole. I collected sports cards like a bat out of hell & still have every every Knicks game saved starting from 92 recorded on VCR tapes. Plan on starting to watch alot of em starting tonight with my older bro leading into the playoffs. Playoff zone is right around the corner baby.

The Pacers aren't a serious threat but it reminds me of the 90's again... The East is back. CHI, NY, INDY, MIA, ORL & ATL. Missing the Pistons of the Thomas, Dumars & Rodman days though.

Pat Ewing was my favorite player back then..

We made the playoffs every year.. I remember during the Bulls record breaking 72-10 season we blew them out by like 30 at the garden .. That was one of my favortie memories.. I was ecstatic watching that game.. I remember the missed finger roll in game 7 in '94.. I remember a lot of disappointing playoff exits.. I remember watching the GOAT Michael Jordan every year in the finals.. (it bothers me when people say Kobe is on MJs level because they are mostly kids who never really saw Jordan play. I used to be in awe of Jordan)(I guess these kids just remember Jordan the Wizard lol)

then we had that magical run in '99.. I still think we couldve beat the Spurs had we had Ewing not hurt.. We couldve had Camby and Ewing matchup with Robinson and Duncan.. When Ewing went down before the series i knew we werent gonna win :(.... When I was a kid I met Anthony Mason at the Westchester Mall in White Plains I wa slike 9 years old and I remember Mason being the BIGGEST guy I ever saw in my life.. When your a little kid the size of him was exageratted to me lol it was ridiculous.. I met Kurt Thomas in 2000 at the Westchester County Fair at the Yonkers Raceway.. I met John Starks at his basketball camp.. and Charles Oakley at his Car Wash on central Ave in Yonkers in the 90s Oakleys car Wash is still there on Central but he doesnt own it anymore. but it has all the Knicks colors its cool....Next time I go by there Ill take a picture and post it up for you guys to see.. they got all pictures of the Knicks from the 90s framed on the inside i bleieve they have an Oakley autographed game worn jersey and basketballs..

I have alot of fond memories.. But I dont miss it anymore whats done is done.. Im more excited with our current squad we have now.. We never truly had 2 top stars in the NBA liek we do now during those years.. We had Ewing and alot of really good players.. But not liek the tandem we have now with 2 top 10 players on the planet..

Our team started going down the tubes with that ridiculous Allan Houston contract.. I used to love Houston but we were nuts giving out that contract.. and then Isiaih really put our team in the shitter.. During our Isiah years I could barely watch this team because we had NO heart.. Therefore the NBA was pretty much dead to me.. I bnever watched the playoffs anymore and I watched Knicks games here and there.. I remember making the trade for Marbury(bum) and being excited making the playoffs and getting sewpt by NJ.. I cant believe so many guys love Stephon Marbury on this website.. They must be too young to remember the Knicks of the 90s.. Cuz all the Knicks fans that watched the team during the 90s cannot possibly like a guy like Marbury,, He's part of the dark cloud over the franchise along with Isiah,, They had no heart. Donnie walsh will win executive of the year

Now our team is playingwith Heart.. Carmelo is playing like the best player on the planet right now and Im excioted.. I think we can do some damamge in the playoffs.. Im going to one of these games in the playoffs for sure.. i dont care if i have to pay 300 for a ticket

Last edited:
Great post bro. I agree with just about everything you said. Yeah, I don't miss the times of the tough loses against the Bulls, Pacers & later on the Spurs that pretty much destroyed our run of the 90's; but I do miss the playoff wars we shared with CHI, INDY & later on MIA. I still don't feel we had a chance with Ewing against SA. We had success during the playoffs; but we struggled to even make the 8th seed inside a very weak East of 99. Ewing wasn't Ewing anymore back in 99, a shell of what he once was. I do miss how we had a real team who went to war for eachother such as Ewing, Oakley, Starks, Mason, Harper, Charles Smith etc etc. I miss those times & the 90's were full of great D's & HOF & All-Star Centers/PF's everywhere you looked. The NBA allowed Guards to hand check with force & allowed BIG's to bang & fight for their lives down low. I just miss the NBA of the 90's but I'm also loving the future of the Knicks under Melo & Amare & still in a state of shock we're heading to the playoffs. F-Marbury!!!

And yeah, I agree... I hated the Knicks under the "Starbury era" I was so thankful that MDA gave Marbury no chance in hell with NY. He was the opposite of what NY players were all about; he lacked team heart & franchise leadership ability.

The only Knicks player I've ever met was H20. Seen him @ a mall in Tampa & the dude was a class act. I'm turning 26 now but I was about 15-16 @ the time. He was in line about to get some fast food & when I see him I asked if I went & got a Knicks jersey if he could sign it for me. He said of course. Not only did I go & buy a Knicks hat (didn't have an H20 jersey) but he signed my hat, took a picture with me (I was with my mom) but he also sat & ate lunch with us. We talked some Knicks basketball but he mostly talked to me about schooling & the importance of getting an education & leaving crime, drugs, bad friends alone etc etc. Great person & had a nice 20-30 minute talk. I hope he's our next GM. He's a very smart man & he's being developed under a great GM in Walsh.