Paul to the Bobcats?

Zylx

Benchwarmer
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) -- Chris Paul remembers every detail of the first time he met Michael Jordan. Now referring to him as his mentor, could Paul decide to return home next year and make Jordan his boss?
Paul won't rule it out.
"It would definitely be something to think about," the New Orleans guard said Tuesday when asked about the potential to sign with the Jordan-owned Charlotte Bobcats in 2012. "But right now it's all about trying to win a championship here with the Hornets."
In a phone interview with The Associated Press to promote the Jordan Brand Classic high school basketball All-Star game on Saturday in Charlotte, Paul alternated praise for Jordan while stressing that his immediate concern is the Hornets' impending first-round playoff series.
"I'm one of those people who tries to stay in the moment," the four-time All-Star point guard said.
But Paul, who has a contract with Jordan's Nike footwear and apparel division, didn't mind reminiscing about a meeting Jordan for the first time when the Lewisville, N.C., native played in the Jordan Brand Classic in 2003.
"We were getting ready to take the team picture," Paul said. "I was sitting in one seat and (current Los Angeles Lakers guard) Shannon Brown was sitting in another seat and the middle seat was open. We obviously knew MJ was going to walk in and sit there. When he walked in, man, he just took over the room. And he actually walked up and knew my name. So that's something I'll never forget.
"To have a personal relationship with him now and for him to be a mentor of mine, it's something when you're growing up as a kid in North Carolina you would never expect."
But would that be enough to give Jordan's struggling Bobcats a leg up if the explosive scorer decides to leave New Orleans? It was that kind of sway Charlotte fans were hoping the six-time NBA champion would have when he bought the team last year.
"I think guys do and will want to play for MJ," Paul said. "Who better to learn from?"
But so far Jordan has overseen mostly cost-cutting, including a February deal that sent the franchise's only All-Star, Gerald Wallace, to Portland for two first-round draft picks. The Bobcats then fell out of playoff contention.
Jordan has said the Wallace deal was meant to create financial flexibility so they can beef up the roster in the next few seasons.
"Now that he has a team, he's like a kid in a candy store," Paul said of Jordan. "He's so happy because he's one of those guys that no matter what, he can't get away from the game."
Getting Paul would be Jordan's first big coup and wold help erase a decision made by the Bobcats in 2005 before Jordan's arrival. Charlotte turned down a trade offer to move up from the No. 5 spot in the draft. Paul then went to the Hornets at No. 4.
"I thought about it then when I got drafted," Paul said of the potential of playing pro ball in his home state. "But that feels like that was so long ago now."
Paul has been through a lot since, from the Hornets' temporarily relocation to Oklahoma City because of Hurricane Katrina to a knee injury last season to the NBA buying his financially strapped team.
Soon, Paul will decide where to continue his career.
"It's been tough to stay above water, but there's no complaints from me," Paul said of his time with the Hornets. "I'm just fortunate enough to be in the NBA."
If Walsh wants Chris Paul at all. We might have to fight with the Bobcats for his services. I would hate to have to go through another team to get him like we did with New Jersey and Melo.

ducktales17

Benchwarmer
He's not going to the Bobcats. I don't care if Jordan's there or not. If we can't get Howard and we go after him, he's all ours.

PaPZ187

Benchwarmer
He's not going to the Bobcats. I don't care if Jordan's there or not. If we can't get Howard and we go after him, he's all ours.

Yeah I'm 100% positive that if the money is the same, or close to it, he would choose playing with STAT and Melo in NY over playing for the Jordan owned Bobcats. The only question would be if we could afford him under the salary cap once we get a new CBA.

Zylx

Benchwarmer
Yeah I'm 100% positive that if the money is the same, or close to it, he would choose playing with STAT and Melo in NY over playing for the Jordan owned Bobcats. The only question would be if we could afford him under the salary cap once we get a new CBA.
Problem with that is it might not be his choice. It might be a Deron Williams scenario.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
Problem with that is it might not be his choice. It might be a Deron Williams scenario.

Deron Williams still controls his own destiny. He can actually cause a Carmelo type situation for the Nets where it's "trade me or watch me walk."

The Nets were the bold ones and traded for a dude with no assurances that he's staying long term, I don't see any other NBA teams taking that chance. If CP3 gets traded anywhere, it's because the team receiving him knows that they're getting an extension as well.

Zylx

Benchwarmer
Deron Williams still controls his own destiny. He can actually cause a Carmelo type situation for the Nets where it's "trade me or watch me walk."

The Nets were the bold ones and traded for a dude with no assurances that he's staying long term, I don't see any other NBA teams taking that chance. If CP3 gets traded anywhere, it's because the team receiving him knows that they're getting an extension as well.
True. Still look how much trouble the Nets gave us. They caused us many scares and almost took Carmelo without any assurances and that would have set us back chemistry wise if we got him in FA. We have the valuable chemistry now that we wouldn't have if he landed in NJ and came to us in FA. Thats what Iam afraid of if the Bobcats take that risk and get CP3 for the rest of the season in 2011-2012 and thus forces us to get him in FA. Its a minor concern yes. But I'd rather not take that risk.

Last edited:

Knicks4Life_1985

★The Floor General★
You guys make a good point but there is no chance that the NBA trades the Knicks Paul for our spare parts. Yes, the NBA runs the team if you dont know already. The only shot at CP3 is free agency.

:alert:How about them Knicks I heard they made the playoffs in 2010-2011:alert:

STAT1

Starter

I think if the Orlando Magic want any hope of keeping Dwight Howard from walking they need to pull out all the stops & trade for either Deron or CP3 next year. You can't let a guy like Dwight Howard start looking at other teams where stars are teaming up & building for championships in big markets while he's busting his butt trying to carry a franchise by himself in a smaller market down in Orlando. The only way to keep him there is to get 1 of those 2 star PG's to feed him the ball & form that devastating 1-2 combo that could vault that team to instant title contention.

Sorry for laughing at this, but Chris Paul playing for the Bobcats more than one season is as likely as the sun imploding tomorrow!

NOK might trade him against his will, but there is zero chance he'll stay there. Paul will end up either in New York or Los ANgeles (Lakers).

NYallDay

Benchwarmer
we need to be more selective when we bring some of these so called media reports onto these forums. we are intelligent and informed basketball fans and i think knicks fan are for the most part more knowledgeable (excuse me for being a homer)
CP is in charlotte and promoting a jordan camp, he is not gonna say 'oh i dont think i will be signing with the bobcats' He is simply not gonna say that!
But as far as us, why are we even having this debate if you look at the facts:
- bobcats have absolutely no one the hornets would want even if they wanted to trade CP3
- what incentive does CP3 have to sign w/ the bobcats as a free agent
- how does CP3 improve his situation in terms of winning, marketablity by going to a middle to bottom of the pack bobcats team
- jordan is NOT a big baller when it comes to spending and surrounding his star with other stars. you wanna see a big baller, go look in the dictionary and you'll see Mark Cubans picture

So just because some idiot wanted to write a article and get his name out there and print nonsense, we dont have to buy it! cmon fellas we know bball alot better than that!

Zylx

Benchwarmer
we need to be more selective when we bring some of these so called media reports onto these forums. we are intelligent and informed basketball fans and i think knicks fan are for the most part more knowledgeable (excuse me for being a homer)
CP is in charlotte and promoting a jordan camp, he is not gonna say 'oh i dont think i will be signing with the bobcats' He is simply not gonna say that!
But as far as us, why are we even having this debate if you look at the facts:
- bobcats have absolutely no one the hornets would want even if they wanted to trade CP3
- what incentive does CP3 have to sign w/ the bobcats as a free agent
- how does CP3 improve his situation in terms of winning, marketablity by going to a middle to bottom of the pack bobcats team
- jordan is NOT a big baller when it comes to spending and surrounding his star with other stars. you wanna see a big baller, go look in the dictionary and you'll see Mark Cubans picture

So just because some idiot wanted to write a article and get his name out there and print nonsense, we dont have to buy it! cmon fellas we know bball alot better than that!
I just felt it was worth talking about even if an idiot in the press wanted to get his name known. Thats all. Honestly I know it has no impact on this season at all. I want Dwight or DeAndre Jordan before I want CP3. Center seems like a bigger need.

NYallDay

Benchwarmer
thats cool man. not tryna bash or anything. my point only being that even if it did have an impact, i would rather it be a story that actually has a chance of happening. i cannot for any reason see why CP3 would end up in charlotte, like not a single reason. and its sad to see when a reporter or a media guy takes one sentence, one single quote and weaves a entire story out of it. my thing is if you're a reporter, stick to the fact and report.