What would be MOAs biggest mistake in an effort to coach the Knicks in the playoffs?

MOAs biggest mistake would be?

• Playing Douglas more minutes than Fields

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not sticking with his bigs Sheldon & Turiaf

Votes: 10 58.8%
  • Going against his philosophy

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Benching Melo for long stretches like the reg season

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Other/Please list

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters
I know we have our likes and dislikes about MOA, but what would weigh more in your opinion while trying to navigate these upcoming playoff series?

I'll say not playing Shelden and Turiaf over JJ could become his biggest playoff mistake.

I feel Mike can use JJ much better now that we have Turiaf healthy plus Shelden making plays down low. Lets start to see JJ as the perimeter defender that he's always been known to be... instead of forcing a natural SF-PF into playing the role of a Center. I'd also hope that we go with a larger rotation giving energy guys like Carter a chance to backup Billups while Douglas backups Fields at shooting guard. Or Walker and Shawne giving Carmelo a much needed breather. I really wanna see both Walker and Shawne Williams a good 3-4 minutes each.Other than that... I like D'Antoni as a head coach, but feel he needs to improve on his rotations some what.

keyser soze

Benchwarmer
In my opinion, there is nothing worse than a coach or player losing confidence in his own ability to do what he does best. Changing philosophies and outlooks is an offseason endeavor, not something to be attempted in the middle of the playoffs

(btw, there is no chance that he benches Melo for a long stretch of time unless he is in foul trouble. Melo and Amare will play MAJOR minutes)

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
-Utilising go to plays when our shots aren't falling. He's done this more since the Melo trade, but not enough in my eyes, and certainly not enough for Amar'e in particular.

-Not having such a strict mandate for substitutions. Has taken the hot hand out of the game too many times this season, as well as disrupting units that have played well. Keep the momentum rolling.

Other than that, I've liked his coaching adjustments and think he's done a good job in the last 12 games.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
We have to attack the basket, not that many threes taken.

Use Walker AND Mason. He'll be using Carter I think so that's good. Sheldon Williams needs to play too.

Hopefully Turiaf can stay healthy, he brings defense and energy. Also, he's been putting in points lately.

Make sure Douglas doesn't shoot un-needed shots.

MusketeerX

Rotation player
His biggest mistake will be his player management: (1) not sticking to a line-up that is doing well; (2) not calling proper time-outs to get his players in order; and, (3) not holding them accountable for mistakes, bad shots, and poor defense.

Last edited:

KingofNy

Starter
His biggest mistake will be his player management: (1) not sticking to a line-up that is doing well; (2) not calling proper time-outs to get his players in order; and, (3) not holding them accountable for mistakes, bad shots, and poor defense.

Spot on... +1 Don't forget to add:

(4) not getting entire offense involved in the 4th quarter (running Iso every play to Stat and Melo). Teams know we don't do anything but go to our stars the final quarter even though they are double/triple covered...That needs to change if we want to win a series or two.

Last edited:

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Spot on... +1 Don't forget to add:

(4) not getting entire offense involved in the 4th quarter (running Iso every play to Stat and Melo). Teams know we don't do anything but go to our stars the final quarter even though they are double/triple covered...That needs to change if we want to win a series or two.

The system's spacing has and hasn't worked. We have Melo which has managed to sugar coat the point you make, but all in all, I agree with you.

Twice in our total demolition of Utah at home later in the season, Melo caught the ball in the high block, backed down, waited for STAT to cut off a high screen and hit him at the foul line for a driving lay in.

Haven't seen it since.

Explain that to me!

We need more 3 man sets between Melo, Billups and Amar'e. Wouldn't you call that - making the most of what you've got?