The 'REAL" Reason We Didn't Win Game 1

Tokie420

Benchwarmer
I thought this was going to be about how we couldnt rebound to save our lives last night. But yea the refs did suck too.

Coulda shoulda woulda...We gotta get ready to play tuesday.

Red

TYPE-A
MELO 5-18 fg 2-8 tp
Billups 3-11 fg 2-6 tp

3-5 calls dont make up for that

Melo has to be melo

our superstar and best scorer cant drop 15 pnts in a playoff gm and expect to beat the celtics.

whens the last time youve seen

kobe
dirk
amare
wade
lebron
durant

score 15 pnts on 5-18 shooting and beat a team like the celtics ?

Really? I'll address your and Kiya's post from the same perspective.

HOW CAN EITHER OF YOU PRIMARILY MENTION MELO WITHOUT...

1. Mentioning a Landry Fields AND HIS ZERO STAT LINE?
We were UP!!!!!! UP!!!! Most of the game even with Melo's 15. Melo DIDN'T LOSE THIS GAME PERIOD, long/poor shot or not.

2. Where were the objectionable calls!!!! Where is your mention of this?

Players, all players have off nights. Where is your mention of Amare NOT geting a touch in the final SEVEN POSSESSIONS!!!! SEVEN!!!!!!

Believe-me that is not a cheap-shot aimed at Melo.....this is not the
first, second, or third year Melo has demanded the ball in the playoff to
only perform like a role-player.
Its not the loss....its the final 11 seconds of getting to the line to tie the score.
We want better decision-making than Jamal Crawful (Carmelo).
Melo had Ray defending him with Rondo running towards him, Melo was
suppose to drive to the basket to get fouled and stop the clock.

Beating Boston in Boston in the playoffs has a long history of being a hard
task for some Knicks-great players like.... Clyde & Reed, Cartwright & 50
points Bernard King, Ewing & Mark Jackson, but none of these great players
tried to be an individual-Hero.....u recall all the 3-balls Starks shot in the
4th quarter of the FINALS vs Houston in the 6th game....that Hero move of
Starks turned Knick-teammates off.

How do u think Knick-teammates feel today watching the final 11 seconds
of last night game, which was suppose to go into OVERTIME???

I KNOW IT was aimed at Melo. You're scapegoatng him.

Again having an issue with him is fine. What's not cool is the neglect in mentioning ALL the other factors that lead to this (And more loses) throughout? Where?

Coach not protecting the back door play?
Not going to Amare?
Poor officiating?

No real play called for the final 11 sec's?

HOW IN THE WORLD IS MELO- A PROVEN KILLER, better than Crawford on his best day playing next to Jesus, who has come through time after time for HIS CAREER, BEtter than ANYone to do it even coming out of your mouth.

WITHOUT melo..

WE WOULDN'T EVEN BE HERE!

But I guess its ok for Landry Fields to contribute NOTHING! Nothing! Because he's a rookie.

So not cool!:whack:

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
This is probably common knowledge but I read a study somewhere that said refs in ANY sport will always favor the home team no matter what because they don't want to feel the wrath of the fans.

So obviously in the playoffs it's magnified. Hopefully we get some calls our way in games 3 and 4 and we can steal the game tomorrow.

skisloper

Starter
Just watched the highlights again....cant seem to let this go...

Who is the other Celtics coach who is in Melo's face on the last play as Melo gets the ball and gets ready to dribble and shoot...

The coach is clearly on the court and closer to Melo then any Celtics player...

Its Unbelievable....worth another watch....Hope they are fined

Tinkoo7

Rookie
all of this talk is nonsense!

stop blaming the refs...
stop blaming melo because hes the reason we went on a 7 game winning streak and hit 2 game winners!..so stop it please!

i guess i must be the only one that noticed that if d'antoni didn't use all of our timeouts! we wouldn't had to force out some stupid 3.

it wasn't melo fault that he didnt have a timeout. It was a min left in the 4th knicks had no timeouts and celtics had 2.

That should tell you how the coaching has a impact on the game.

skisloper

Starter
all of this talk is nonsense!

stop blaming the refs...
stop blaming melo because hes the reason we went on a 7 game winning streak and hit 2 game winners!..so stop it please!

i guess i must be the only one that noticed that if d'antoni didn't use all of our timeouts! we wouldn't had to force out some stupid 3.

it wasn't melo fault that he didnt have a timeout. It was a min left in the 4th knicks had no timeouts and celtics had 2.

That should tell you how the coaching has a impact on the game.

why do u consider it a stupid 3 ?

Melo has been knocking that shot night after night......

Dantonio got us here and u seem to forget that....

Kiyaman

Legend
kiya while i agree with what your saying, truthfully you cant solely blame melo for what happened in the final minute of that game that lead to us losing

offensive foul to negate a made 3 by tony douglas in the corner
billups out with an injury
ray allen open corner three before his gw three
pierce hit some biggggg shots
Kevin garnett dirty dirty diry
douglas not getting amare the ball 7 times down the floor in a row
amare missing 2 big free throws
poor defensive strategy by dantoni and genius offensive play calling by rivers on that lob to garnett to pull them within 1
a terrible offensive call by the ref
and a terrible no call on the end by the ref

you can only mark this game up to be what it was

a really good playoff game, that shows the knicks are capable of playing defense, we just didnt execute, and catch any breaks.

Im actually proud of our team.

When u put all of that to the side.....u have a team with the ball
down by 2 points with 11 seconds remaining in the game.
Should this game go to overtime?

Toney Douglas rush the ball upcourt passed it to Carmelo with 8 seconds on
the clock..... what would these star-players do with 8 seconds remaining on
the clock and down by 2 points? Kobe, D.Wade, Lebron, Durant, Roy, Ginobli,
and Odom.
Would any of these players do the samething Carmelo did having another go
to player on their team???

gentlemen please relax

i wasnt blaming MELO

i was saying that when our best scorer scores 15 on 5-18 shooting its very difficult to win a playoff game

if im wrong then thats fine you can have your opinion

but I want some evidence then of games won by teams when their leading scorer goes 5-18 and scores ten points less than their season avg.

thats not blaming or scape goating melo, thats just stating a fact about a big reason why we lost the game.

im the one who initially posted to stop crying and making excuses, like the refs and the final shot by allen etc.

we need melo to play better in order for us to win

the reason every one gave us a lil shot in this series was the fact we now have 2 superstars, when amare plays like a super star and melo plays like a role player we arent going to win many playoff games

bottom line.

why do u consider it a stupid 3 ?

Melo has been knocking that shot night after night......

Dantonio got us here and u seem to forget that....

A contested fade away 28 foot shot is a stupid 3. Doesn't matter how good he was, there was a wide open Tony Douglas waiting to take the shot.

Kiyaman

Legend
Really? I'll address your and Kiya's post from the same perspective.

HOW CAN EITHER OF YOU PRIMARILY MENTION MELO WITHOUT...

1. Mentioning a Landry Fields AND HIS ZERO STAT LINE?
We were UP!!!!!! UP!!!! Most of the game even with Melo's 15. Melo DIDN'T LOSE THIS GAME PERIOD, long/poor shot or not.

2. Where were the objectionable calls!!!! Where is your mention of this?

Players, all players have off nights. Where is your mention of Amare NOT geting a touch in the final SEVEN POSSESSIONS!!!! SEVEN!!!!!!

I KNOW IT was aimed at Melo. You're scapegoatng him.

Again having an issue with him is fine. What's not cool is the neglect in mentioning ALL the other factors that lead to this (And more loses) throughout? Where?

Coach not protecting the back door play?
Not going to Amare?
Poor officiating?

No real play called for the final 11 sec's?

HOW IN THE WORLD IS MELO- A PROVEN KILLER, better than Crawford on his best day playing next to Jesus, who has come through time after time for HIS CAREER, BEtter than ANYone to do it even coming out of your mouth.

WITHOUT melo..

WE WOULDN'T EVEN BE HERE!

But I guess its ok for Landry Fields to contribute NOTHING! Nothing! Because he's a rookie.

So not cool!:whack:

Red.....your not looking at the big-picture.
We all know we have a poor flawed headcoach, we also know Fields hit
the rookie-wall twice this season without getting one day-off of rest.
And we all damn sure know the officiating in Boston Garden has always
been 5 to 1 for the home-team.

Here is the big picture....it took Billups leadership of the Denver Nuggets
players to get super-star Melo pass the first-round of the playoffs.
Lastnight we watched Billups & Amare keep this Knick-team on par with
the Boston Celtics.
When Billups went down....we had no-one to instruct our offense or defense.

jpz17

Starter
Red.....your not looking at the big-picture.
We all know we have a poor flawed headcoach, we also know Fields hit
the rookie-wall twice this season without getting one day-off of rest.
And we all damn sure know the officiating in Boston Garden has always
been 5 to 1 for the home-team.

Here is the big picture....it took Billups leadership of the Denver Nuggets
players to get super-star Melo pass the first-round of the playoffs.
Lastnight we watched Billups & Amare keep this Knick-team on par with
the Boston Celtics.
When Billups went down....we had no-one to instruct our offense or defense.

Melo is not a leader on the court and he isn't that good in the clutch so far

OakTree

Rookie
On the contrary, I actually feel we won this game. It was supposed to be a walk in the park for the Celtics but it wasn't.

How Garnett, Davis, and O'Neal weren't able to contain Amar'e is telling... so are the 6 blocks we posted... so was seeing how Rondo obviously has nothing on Chauncey...the same goes for Pierce and Green: they had trouble with an off-duty Carmelo... and our bench players played well.

It was a tough loss but I think it's a big chunk we took out of the Celts' confidence and air of invincibility. We take Game 2.

We win this series.

LeFlume

All Star
KGs illegal screen that trip Douglas aside. This was a coach loss. D'Antonio did not give Amare Stoudemire the ball the last 2.30 of the game. Feed the hot hand. That is playoff basketball 101. Amare killed The Celtics. They had no answer for him. Not giving him the ball down the stretch is just retarded. Refs..did not take this game from us. Our coach did....:boohoo:

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
On the contrary, I actually feel we won this game. It was supposed to be a walk in the park for the Celtics but it wasn't.

How Garnett, Davis, and O'Neal weren't able to contain Amar'e is telling... so are the 6 blocks we posted... so was seeing how Rondo obviously has nothing on Chauncey...the same goes for Pierce and Green: they had trouble with an off-duty Carmelo... and our bench players played well.

It was a tough loss but I think it's a big chunk we took out of the Celts' confidence and air of invincibility. We take Game 2.

We win this series.

That can be dangerous, though. Chauncey's injured, for one. For two, what if this game pushes the Celtics to play their best because they underestimated us in game 1 and almost got burned?

Who knows. We have to close out games better, though - it seems that the Knicks either play well in the 3rd quarter or the 4th quarter, never both.

nyk_nyk

All Star

We win this series.

Okay let's not be THAT TEAM. Sorry but no moral victories here... this is NYC.

nyk_nyk

All Star

no lie, douglas was wide open with 4 seconds left....tony just made a big 3.....i say melo hogged it

Sure Melo should have made the extra pass to TD but its not like the guy hasn't hit game winners for us since he's been here. I'm giving Melo a pass for now since he's done more good than bad in his short knick career. Hopefully if it comes down to it again the coaching staff will have the players prepared to run a last second play or something.

miked1958

Rotation player
Agreed!!!

A contested fade away 28 foot shot is a stupid 3. Doesn't matter how good he was, there was a wide open Tony Douglas waiting to take the shot.

I agree with knickspodcast and Toons. As a matter of fact i said the same thing in several threads right after the game, and on the first page of this thread. Check out posting #14 on page 1, 2nd paragraph. You will see that I was screaming for Melo to dish it to the WIDE OPEN TD. He got no respect from the Celts D so they didnt cover him, and he had just hit that 3 with 39seconds left moments before to put us up 3. Melo had it with 5seconds left, if he makes that pass, TD has time enough to take an open uncontested 3 to win it, or even dribble in a few steps to try for a tie. We will never know what could have happened. In the playoffs heros emerge and TD could have been that hero. Also its UNREAL that Amare didnt touch the ball the last 2:30 of the game when he was that hot.

As for the bad call and the 2 no calls. All bad. If we get anyone of the 3, it wins us that game and we go into tonights game looking for icing on the cake withour billups rather then a game that is very close to a MUST win.

Other then refs, you cant expect to win a game when u only put up 34 2nd half points. It will lose u the game every time. thats the reason we lost. we score a measley 37 2nd half points we win that game. crazy. with the way the knicks score points, if someone told you all the knicks had to do was score 37 total points against the Celts in the 2nd half and they would be guarnteed a victory, all of us would have bet the house that they would do it easy. Now I dont know if it was a case of playoff lockdown D or we just STUNK shooting wise, but that is unacceptable