Boston Celtics - 1
New York Knicks - 0
Best of 7 series

206275_1693379026433_1596518187_31436832_799653_n.jpg

218087_1689138680427_1596518187_31431358_5485808_n.jpg

Rajon_Rondo_tackle.jpg

jpzthread.png

Did you know??

• Chauncey Billups was selected by Boston in the first round (third overall) of the 1997 NBA Draft.
  • Billups also teamed up with Celtics forward Kevin Garnett for two seasons in Minnesota (2000-02)?
  • Celtics head coach Doc Rivers played three seasons for New York from 1992-95, averaging 7.7 points and 5.1 assists in 99 regular-season games and 10.2 points in 15 playoff games?
  • Amar?e Stoudemire and Celtics center Shaquille O?Neal were teammates in Phoenix for parts of two seasons (2007-09). Mike D?Antoni, Phil Weber and Dan D?Antoni coached the duo during the 2007-08 season?.
  • Knicks assistant coach Kenny Atkinson (1986-90) and Celtics assistant coach Kevin Eastman (1973-77) played their college ball at the University of Richmond. Both served as team captains and rank in the top-10 in school history in assists
  • Knicks assistant coach Herb Williams was tutored by then Mavs assistant and now Celtics assistant coach Clifford Ray in Dallas from 1988-92?
  • Donnie Walsh acquired Celtics forward Jermaine O?Neal for the Pacers in a trade from the Portland Trailblazers on Aug. 31, 2000. O?Neal, who was traded in exchange for Dale Davis and Joe Kleine, spent eight seasons with the Pacers and Walsh?
  • Celtics guard Von Wafer played for Knicks Summer League team in 2008?
  • Celtics assistant coach Armond Hill was born in Brooklyn, New York and attended Bishop Ford Central Catholic High School?.
  • Shelden Williams played for Boston last season?. Shelden Williams? Duke Blue Devils was eliminated in the Elite 8 of the NCAA Tournament by Glen Davis? LSU Tigers?.
  • Ronny Turiaf made his first career postseason start (27th playoff game), playing a playoff career high 29 minutes, scoring nine points and posting five rebounds and playoff career high tying four blocks
  • Toney Douglas, Fields and Shawne Williams made their postseason debuts
BOSTON (AP) -- Toney Douglas played well when he replaced an injured Chauncey Billups during the regular season.
There's much more at stake now.
In only his third season, Douglas said he's prepared if, as expected, Billups, the 13-year veteran point guard, misses Tuesday night's Game 2 of the New York Knicks' first-round playoff series with the Boston Celtics with a sore left knee.
Billups is "very questionable," coach Mike D'Antoni said Monday.
If he is out, it will be up to Douglas to direct an offense led by Amare Stoudemire and Carmelo Anthony.
"I'm ready," Douglas said Monday. "The hardest part is getting my body ready for that situation."
Billups was hurt late in Boston's 87-85 victory Sunday night when his leg "buckled on me." He limped off the court with 51 seconds left and didn't return.
"It's really sore" he said after watching practice in street clothes. "At this point in the season, this is the worst thing that could possibly happen, getting hurt in the first game of a tough series. I know my team needs me and it's just frustrating."
D'Antoni said it's much more likely that Billups will play at home Friday in Game 3 of the best-of-seven Eastern Conference series.
Celtics coach Doc Rivers sees a possible trap for his team if Billups is sidelined.
"If you take someone lightly in the playoffs, then shame on you," he said. "Douglas has had a terrific year. (The Knicks) went on a winning streak when Douglas was playing and Chauncey was out. But I don't think that'll affect the way we approach the game. We just have to worry about us."
Douglas averaged 16.8 points and 6.8 assists in the six games Billups missed with a left thigh bruise from March 2-10. The Knicks split the first two then won three straight before losing again.
But Douglas had never played a postseason game until Sunday. He finished with eight points and two assists in 25 minutes, but made a 3-pointer that gave sixth-seeded New York an 85-82 lead with 38 seconds remaining.
"We have confidence in him," Stoudemire said. "I feel like that big shot gave him confidence."
An alley-oop basket by Kevin Garnett with 37 seconds left made it 85-84 before Anthony was called for an offensive foul with 20 seconds to go as he jockeyed for position with Paul Pierce. Ray Allen hit a go-ahead 3-pointer with 12 seconds to play after Garnett stuck out his right leg and tripped Douglas -- laying him flat out on the court -- as Douglas tried to guard Allen.
There was no whistle, only the loud cheers of the home crowd.
"Allen made a tough shot. Tony got knocked down," D'Antoni said. "Sometimes at the end of games they let it go. It'd be nice if they called it on 'Melo that they call it at the other end also."
The third-seeded Celtics will also be missing a starter, but that was expected. Shaquille O'Neal sat out the last six regular-season games and the first playoff game with a left calf injury after playing just one of the previous 28 with a sore left leg.
"He's got a different brace now and we've got two (days off) after Game 2 that he can practice, hopefully," Rivers said.
Jermaine O'Neal had a big game in his place in Game 1 with 12 points on 6-for-6 shooting and four blocks in 22 minutes. He missed much of the season with a knee injury.
Until Garnett denied him the ball late in the game, Stoudemire hurt the Celtics with long jumpers and powerful dunks. But Anthony struggled to shake Boston's tight defense.
He was whistled for two quick fouls and sat out the last 10:32 of the first quarter. He scored his first 12 points in the second quarter but just three in the second half when he missed 10 of 11 shots, including a 3-pointer with 2 seconds to go.
"I couldn't buy a bucket last night, especially in the second half," he said. "Shots were going in and out. Shots were short. But I know I can make those shots. They're the same shots I would take over and over."
D'Antoni joked about what it might take for Anthony to get untracked.
"Just maybe get Pierce off him," he said. "He's fine. I'll be surprised if it happens twice."
Unlike the Knicks, the Celtics will have their starting point guard. Rajon Rondo had 10 points, nine rebounds and nine assists in the opener. Douglas, quicker than Billups, might do a better job on him.
"We have to be even more focused," Pierce said. "We haven't done a good job when star players sit throughout the course of the season. I don't know if we've taken it for granted or taken them too lightly when they're missing a player, thinking the team wouldn't play as hard, but we've lost quite a few games with other teams' stars missing."
Still, the loss of Billups would leave the Knicks thin at that position.
"It'll affect us big time," said Anthony, who came to the Knicks with Billups on Feb. 22 in a trade with Denver. "We're losing one of our soldiers, one of our leaders. At the same time, it's go time, it's playoff time. We've got guys that have to step up."
-ESPN.com

Gameday Matchup

New York
Boston
W-L42-4056-26Avg Points106.596.5Avg Points Allowed105.791.1

+Injuries+
  • Chauney Billups is out for Game 2
  • Shaq is day-to-day
  • Delonte West is day-to-day
OFFICIAL JPZ PREDICTION

Knicks- 114
NewYork.png

Celtics- 111
Boston.png

I expect an offensive night after Game 1's defensive heavy night, and of course, the Knicks with a VICTORY!!!

t_mobile_fave5_logo_180.jpg

presents

JPZ17's
Barkley_s_fave_five_Saul_Salazar_444x500.JPG

FAVE 5 KEYS TO WINNING

1. Let Rondo shoot, but don't let him drive to the basket
  2. Get to Amare early and often, he is trustworthy
  3. Stop Allen from shooting too often beyond the arch, force him to drive
  4. Fast breaks.. they will tire out the social security bound Celtics
  5. Don't trust Melo with the last shot yet..
Game Opinions
oppontent.png

I'll say Melo will have 40 points in Game 2, but we'll win via blowout by like by 26

I just have a feeling the Knicks are going to gameplan to go at Pierce as quickly as possible and try to get him in foul trouble early...meaning Green would get minutes with the starting 5. We'll see.

Pierce WILL have at least on dominant game this series. Melo did to a pretty good job in G1 tho

Starting Lineups

bos.gif

CELTICS
PG...........SG..........SF..........PF...........C
3026.jpg
9.jpg
662.jpg
261.jpg
615.jpg

RONDO------ALLEN------PIERCE-----GARNETT------O'NEAL

nyk.gif

KNICKS
PG...........SG..........SF..........PF...........C
3979.jpg
4274.jpg
1975.jpg
1727.jpg
2789.jpg

DOUGLAS-----FIELDS-----ANTHONY----STOUDEMIRE-----TURIAF

JPZ17's Key matchup
x350.jpg

Toney Douglas vs Rajon Rondo

2789.jpg
Ronny Turiaf C Jermaine O'Neal
615.jpg

basketball-edge-slight-right.gif

Turiaf is decent but really not meant to be a starter. O'Neal played well in game 1 so I give him the advantage
1727.jpg
Amare Stoudemire PF Kevin Garnett
261.jpg

basketball-edge-slight-left.gif

Garnett is getting old, and Amare is one of the best players in the game at his position. Nobody can stop Amare..

1975.jpg
Carmelo Anthony SF Paul Pierce
662.jpg

basketball-edge-slight-left.gif

You know, it could go complete edge to Pierce just like game 1 but he shouldn't choke like that again. It is time to step it up Melo..
4274.jpg
Landry Fields SG Ray Allen
9.jpg

basketball-edge-slight-right.gif

Fields played like crap in game 1, expect him to have a very good game 2 and Allen to finally cool down.
3979.jpg
Toney Douglas PG Rajon Rondo
3026.jpg

basketball-edge-mod-right.gif

Rondo is one of the best point guards in the game, but he can't shoot very well. Let him shoot the ball and stop him from driving to the basket.

JPZ17's Player Pressure
Which Knicks is under the most pressure to succeed????
color-fog-lights.jpg

The answer: Carmelo Anthony

CarmeloAnthony1.jpg

Carmelo needs to get his act together, after giving up Gallinari, Chandler, and Mozgov we need him to play like a superstar.

and now for a Jpz17 debut......
221829_1750958651882_1176351720_2700102_3524749_n.jpg

Knicksonline.com Emmy Award
Goes to........ PAUL PIERCE!
216515_631429318992_57100631_34065175_8256539_n.jpg

For his wonderful performance in the 4th quarter acting his way to an offensive foul on Carmelo.

Now... DOMINATION!!!!!

Thanks for joining me
for knicksonline I'm JPZ17
Stay classy New York

Go New York Knicks!
jpzthread.png

217452_202261766474087_185920138108250_591568_12501_n.jpg

Sage

Rotation player
Sweet game thread. I'm so nervous for this one, absolutely a must win if the Knicks are to have any chance in the series.

The pessimist in me thinks the Knicks just played their game 7, and will get blown out of the water in game 2... But I'm pretty morbid like that.

Knicks to win by 8.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Ooooooh. I love facts!

Chauncey Billups was selected by Boston in the first round (third overall) of the 1997 NBA Draft.
Billups also teamed up with Celtics forward Kevin Garnett for two seasons in Minnesota (2000-02)…
Celtics head coach Doc Rivers played three seasons for New York from 1992-95, averaging 7.7 points and 5.1 assists in 99 regular-season games and 10.2 points in 15 playoff games…
Amar’e Stoudemire and Celtics center Shaquille O’Neal were teammates in Phoenix for parts of two seasons (2007-09). Mike D’Antoni, Phil Weber and Dan D’Antoni coached the duo during the 2007-08 season….
Knicks assistant coach Kenny Atkinson (1986-90) and Celtics assistant coach Kevin Eastman (1973-77) played their college ball at the University of Richmond. Both served as team captains and rank in the top-10 in school history in assists
Knicks assistant coach Herb Williams was tutored by then Mavs assistant and now Celtics assistant coach Clifford Ray in Dallas from 1988-92…
Donnie Walsh acquired Celtics forward Jermaine O’Neal for the Pacers in a trade from the Portland Trailblazers on Aug. 31, 2000. O’Neal, who was traded in exchange for Dale Davis and Joe Kleine, spent eight seasons with the Pacers and Walsh…
Celtics guard Von Wafer played for Knicks Summer League team in 2008…
Celtics assistant coach Armond Hill was born in Brooklyn, New York and attended Bishop Ford Central Catholic High School….
Shelden Williams played for Boston last season…. Shelden Williams’ Duke Blue Devils was eliminated in the Elite 8 of the NCAA Tournament by Glen Davis’ LSU Tigers….
Ronny Turiaf made his first career postseason start (27th playoff game), playing a playoff career high 29 minutes, scoring nine points and posting five rebounds and playoff career high tying four blocks
Toney Douglas, Fields and Shawne Williams made their postseason debuts

Your best GT of the year. Thanks.

la2ny

Starter
Great thread Jpz!

I dont think anyone of these games will be blowouts unless we completely implode or we take it to Boston in our return home ala GSW.

And am I the only one that thinks even if we lose game 2 we can still win the series? I mean if we lose yes it becomes tougher, but Boston would just be doing what they worked all year for and thats protect HC. We will then come back and if we win our home games then we bring it down to a 3 game series. I've seen it before so im not going to lose hope.

Blumatic

Rotation player
http://mobile.newsday.com/inf/infom...min&feed:c=knicks&feed:i=1.2825356&nopaging=1

Its about to get real physical. Refs aint calling sh**. C's will take advantage Bockers better too.

Pierce: Foul call on Carmelo surprised me

Updated: Apr 18, 2011 07:56 PM
By RODERICK BOONE
Multiple Page View
WALTHAM, Mass. -- Paul Pierce could have poked fun at the Knicks Monday, sticking it to them while they're down.

But the Celtics forward actually -- gasp -- said the unexpected when talking about the offensive foul he drew on Carmelo Anthony with 21 seconds left Sunday night, one of two critical calls that didn't go the Knicks' way in their 87-85 loss in Game 1 of the first-round playoff series.

"I really didn't think it should have been a call, but I'm not the official," Pierce said before practice. "When you have two players of that caliber going at it, I think you should let 'em play. But I don't make the rules, I don't make the calls.

"I was just trying to be physical. I didn't want him to catch the ball easy. It turned into a wrestling match, truthfully."

Pierce may have baited Monty McCutcheon into making the call, flailing as Anthony tried to get position with the Knicks leading 85-84. Anthony's left arm got caught on Pierce while trying to shield him off and Anthony was whistled for the foul, handing the ball to Boston .

"It's always a double-edged sword because you work your butt off on defense," Pierce said. "When you get a call like that, it just shows your work. But if they don't make the call, Melo has an opportunity to score. And I love that challenge, just being able to stop the team's best player in crucial situations.

"But you kind of expect the same thing on the other end. If they are not going to make a call on one end, they shouldn't make it on the other end. Or if they do, it should go both ways. But when you've got two All-Stars battling, I think you should let them play."

Anthony, as one might imagine, couldn't agree more.

"It was a tough call, especially the way it was going the whole game with guys trying to get position in the post," Anthony said. "For that to come down to one play, that decision . . . What I thought about and what he called were two different things. It was going on the whole game, not just with me -- some physical play down there in the post.

"Especially with 20-something seconds left on the clock, I wasn't expecting a call like that."

That play led to Ray Allen 's winning three-pointer, another sore subject for the Knicks. Replays appear to show Kevin Garnett sticking out his right leg as Toney Douglas tried to fight through a pick and get to Allen. Douglas took a spill, leaving Allen with an uncontested shot.

"They've been doing that for a lot of years," Douglas said. "They get a lot of respect in this league. You can say, 'Oh, I got tripped over, whatever.' But at the end of the day, I don't want no excuses. I just felt if I didn't get tripped, he wouldn't have had that shot. I know I wouldn't let him have a wide-open three."

Said Mike D'Antoni : "It was a foul, it was. [Garnett] elbowed him and he tripped him. Now, a lot of times they don't call that at the end of a game, and I'm not sitting here saying, 'Wow, oh my God.' It'd have been nice. It didn't happen and give Ray Allen credit. But it was clearly a foul."

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Nice game thread!
I'm really pissed after the game one loss and although i'm confident in our chances i do have a bad feeling about boston coming out strong tonight. Any idea if Shaq's gonna be in? Not too worry about it but he's still a big guy.
Btw, y'all saw doc's comment on the kg foul?
"I thought that, uh, Douglas tried to trip Kevin. I thought that was awful. And it was great that Kevin stood up to it."
what a piece of trash this guy is, seeing them out of the first round would be even sweeter than seeing the knicks in the ec semis.

Nice game thread!
I'm really pissed after the game one loss and although i'm confident in our chances i do have a bad feeling about boston coming out strong tonight. Any idea if Shaq's gonna be in? Not too worry about it but he's still a big guy.
what a piece of trash this guy is, seeing them out of the first round would be even sweeter than seeing the knicks in the ec semis.
Shaq isn't playing tonight, i seriously think he's done.

Toons

is the Bo$$
melo collefting 2 fouls in the first quarter with 10+ mins left wont happen this game. knicks win by 10

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
i feel we win this one, thanks to the great play of douglas. of course stat&melo will be great for us. melo stuggled and will bounce back anyone who thinks or says otherwise is just retarded. Douglas is now the key in this series with billups limping around now for most of the series. he's stepped in for billups well during that stretch in the season and should do the same again tonight. i expect 18 8 from him tonight.

players are born in the postseason its where they become who they are, rondo came out a few years back during the finals run and look at him now. i feel douglas can have similar success and become a starter for us in later seasons.

PaPZ187

Benchwarmer
Nice game thread!

WOW he cant possibly be serious.....TD tried to trip KG and he was proud that KG stood up to it?!?! WTF is he talking about, this guy is delusional.

It was blatantly obvious that KG tripped TD, giving Allen an uncontested 3 to win the game. The Knicks need to come out strong tonight, Amare needs to tear that POS apart in the paint, and Turiaf needs to give a nice playoff hard foul to the first C that drives to the hoop.

PaPZ187

Benchwarmer
Just heard a few hours ago that Billups was downgraded from "very questionable" to "very doubtful" for tonights game, but "probable" for game 3 in MSG Friday night.

It is going to be tough to get a win in Boston without Mr Big Shot running the point for us tonight so we are going to need big play out of TD23 and AC as well for us to have a legit chance to steal HCA.

Please watch this inspirtation video hopefully we will get the dub for tonight

this makes wanna go out on the court and get this game for us

Its from Any given Sunday

Last edited:

PaPZ187

Benchwarmer
Great thread Jpz!

I dont think anyone of these games will be blowouts unless we completely implode or we take it to Boston in our return home ala GSW.

And am I the only one that thinks even if we lose game 2 we can still win the series? I mean if we lose yes it becomes tougher, but Boston would just be doing what they worked all year for and thats protect HC. We will then come back and if we win our home games then we bring it down to a 3 game series. I've seen it before so im not going to lose hope.

I agree. While tonights game is important, it isnt a must win as we can still win the following 2 in NY if we lose tonight, bring it back to 2-2 then try to take either game 5 or 7 in Boston.

It would obviously be harder to win the series if we lose tonight, but it wouldnt be impossible IMO either. Important game, but not a must win.

p0nder

Starter
I think if we can win this game and game 3 at home then we will win the series. If we don't it doesn't nessicarily mean we won;t but it would be muchhh harder

miked1958

Rotation player
Are Points going to be a Problem in this series?

I think if we can win this game and game 3 at home then we will win the series. If we don't it doesn't nessicarily mean we won;t but it would be muchhh harder

We were supposed to be able to score at least a 100 pts a game on this old dried up team. We barely scored 85 in game 1. If that is any indication of how the series is going to go, (defensive) then it favors Boston. They are the Masters of winning those Low Scoring UGLY playoff games. They struggle to only avg 90 a game but I figured they would score close to 100 on us each game bec of our D. Lets face it, low scoring halfcourt games dont suit us. Now with Billups not there to set up Melo and Amare, and having to lean on someone with no playoff exp we could be in trouble. I hope he steps up.

I really wish we got those calls at the end of game 1. Rightfully that game should have been ours had it not been for all those horrible calls. That way tonights game without Chauncey would not be as HUGE. We would already be up 1-0, letting billups rest, and if we happened to get a great game out of TD and win it. WOW. ICING on the CAKE up 2-0. BUt with those HUGE questionable calls or noncalls going against us, it makes this game so much more important that we get a win and have to do it without the floor leader.

I just hope we get some breaks tonight and pull out a win. Then MSG will be rocking for game 3