$$$ for nothing?

Imiss#33

Benchwarmer
Don't worry this is not about Dire Staits (I might be dating myself with that reference)

Here is my concern...
It looks very unlikely that the Knicks will be able to get Dampier (Atlanta is said to be a lock).
Swift will either be with Memphis or go to Chicago for Curry
So, it looks like the Knicks are done for the summer (except for Vin Baker signing) and what do we have???
A better team than last year at this time? Certainly
A more interesting team that people want to talk about and see? Yes
A team that might score some points (if Houston is healthy)? Yes

A team that could even sniff getting a championship? No
A team that has itself set up for cap space in the years to come? No

A team that will have some "young" guys playing? Yes..Craw and Sweet
A team that looks like it is one player away? No

The Knicks have an amazing payroll...the Knicks have a somewhat attractive team...the Knicks won't win.

What do people think? IT has done a great job with what he was given...but how far are we from looking at a start of a season and really thinking about winning a ring?

Just curious...

nycefnl

Benchwarmer
I think we're one PF away from being real contenders. Now that Dampier is history we should persue a sign and trade for Stromile Swift which is the only realstic acquistion the knicks could have made along with Crawford from the getgo. Swift would give us a power-house inside. He has the game of Kenyon Martin with a better outside touch. I think Grizzilies may take Sweetney and/or Kurt Thomas for Swift.

One other move I'd try making is Tim Thomas for Wally Szerbiack. We need more outside shooting, and with that rookie the Knicks picked up I think Tim Thomas is expendable.

A lineup of:

PG Marbury PG Billups
SG Houston SG Hamilton
SF Szerbiack SF Prince
PF Swift PF R. Wallace
C Baker C B. Wallace

No way the Knicks win it all next year but in 3 years we'd have this line up of you Veterans:

PG Marbury (age 30)
SG Crawford (age 27)
SF Szerbiack (age 29)
PF Swift (age 27)
C ? Draft some stiffs! :lol:

e_D

Benchwarmer
nycefnl said:
A lineup of:

PG Marbury PG Billups
SG Houston SG Hamilton
SF Szerbiack SF Prince
PF Swift PF R. Wallace
C Baker C B. Wallace

Sczerbiak has nothin on Prince in defense though.

So, while that line up sounds like a powerhouse, I feel it'd expose us on defense.

kriss childs

Benchwarmer
It's obvious that NY has bcome a very attractive destination for players ready to move on so I still think there's another blockbuster trade for the Knicks on the horizon.With the talented guards NY has any 3,4,or 5 would do well with the Knicks like KVH, DOL,Dice.

pbjb14

Benchwarmer
.i think its over no swift no anyone resign baker and still starting

marbury houston thomas thomas nazr

only diff is we have a more experienced sweetney and a guy who could make a big diff off the bench with crawford

Starks_boy

Benchwarmer
nycefnl said:
I think we're one PF away from being real contenders. Now that Dampier is history we should persue a sign and trade for Stromile Swift which is the only realstic acquistion the knicks could have made along with Crawford from the getgo. Swift would give us a power-house inside. He has the game of Kenyon Martin with a better outside touch. I think Grizzilies may take Sweetney and/or Kurt Thomas for Swift.

One other move I'd try making is Tim Thomas for Wally Szerbiack. We need more outside shooting, and with that rookie the Knicks picked up I think Tim Thomas is expendable.

A lineup of:

PG Marbury PG Billups
SG Houston SG Hamilton
SF Szerbiack SF Prince
PF Swift PF R. Wallace
C Baker C B. Wallace

No way the Knicks win it all next year but in 3 years we'd have this line up of you Veterans:

PG Marbury (age 30)
SG Crawford (age 27)
SF Szerbiack (age 29)
PF Swift (age 27)
C ? Draft some stiffs! :lol:

I would have said that we are one C away from being a real contender.
At PF we have Sweet + Baker (soon) + KT, but at C we only have Mohammed.... Baker isn't a C !! too light !!

I think we must keep Sweetney because he is really young and will develop a lot. He must be in the starting 5 this year. He is physically better than KT, and had better shoot, and take much more offensiv rebounds.

In the end, i thinh Tim Thomas is a key player, he is very athletic, and create a mismatch everytime he has the ball, give him a complete year to prove his value.

here is my point of view. Maybe i'm wrong.

++

As let down as some of us are from hearing Dampier is going to the mavericks, it was still a good summer. We added a really nice rookie, and also obtained Crawford who will show his value to the team in a big way.

I believe there are a few other small trades possible and mabey a free ent signing left this year(Keon Clark is still available, White from Denver is still unsigned).

Remember that next year, this kind of Dampier problem will not happen and the Knicks will be the most active team in free agency and we will have the weapons to aquire about anyone. Tim Thomas, Penny, moochie and Nazr are all free agents next year, and Penny and Thomas have HUGE expiring contracts. Dallas traded Laetner to GS as part of the Dampier package because of his 6 million expiring salary this season. Imagine what Penny $15 million and Tim Thomas$13.5 million can return for that much cap relief. look for Isiah Thomas to set the Knicks up with some minor trades/signings and target a star or 2 to add to this years team for next year. There are a lot of big free agents to shoot for next year..........We would not want to include Tim Thomas or Penny in a deal this year unless we are getting someone great back, because there value next year will be HUGE...........

David

kriss childs

Benchwarmer
Good post NYTWISED- TT Penny Naz KT and Moochies expiring contacts could definitely help Isaiah to sign a huge star player from another team next yr.Makes next yr. seem very interesting!

ARKATECH

Rookie
This is the most inteligent comments iv'e read in a post (Twisted NY Assassin) about trades yet. Iv'e been looking at the salaries for the knicks, and in the next 2 years and we might be come that power house team yet. Very good points. But in the mean time we have an entertaining team to watch try and get a championship.