Game 2 - Unforgivable Coaching Errors

smokes

Huge Member
Even though I haven't been the biggest D'ant supporter in the past, I think he coached his tail-off last night. We played that entire second half with as Steve Kerr put it "Melo and a bunch of guys." When it looked like the game was going to get out of hand, our Knicks clamped down on defense and started making shots. The team didn't give up and some of that credit has to go to D'ant.

Now you can nit-pick that last play to death all you want. Melo got the quick double team and knew exactly where to go with it. It was up to JJ to just finish the play, like he had done just a couple minutes before, but he decides to over-pass in the ball in the lane. That's on JJ and I'm sure he couldn't sleep last night thinking about why he didn't just go up strong. But the play was there, JJ just needed to finish it.

I give MDA credit for a few things. One he has us here in the playoffs playing good basketball. Honestly I would never have expected this two months ago, I could never see us playing defense like this. I applaud MDA for this. But the guy cannot manage games.

There are 100 ways you can distribute the blame in this game, and yes the bottom line is we were extremely unfortunate, and should/could have won this game regardless of those coaching errors. But... WHY? Why should we have to put up with throwing countless games away in the final seconds? EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THOSE LOSSES CAN BE PARTIALLY ATTRIBUTED TO POOR COACHING!

Not fouling when we have a foul to give, awful substitution patterns, letting other teams go on huge runs against us without taking a time out or making any kinds of adjustments, and not being able to draw up a play to at least get us a LOOK at the last shot...

I mean jesus, sure other players get forced to take tough shots and miss them in game winning situations... At least their coach gets them a SHOT! Game 1 we had some wild 3 to try to win (when we only needed a 2 to tie), game 2 we didn't even get a shot attempt. I think it was Crazy who said it above at least other coaches know how to get their players a look.

Other people have said it too, you give the ball to your best player at center court... You don't push him towards the corner when he has no space to move! Go to youtube and watch some of Kobe, Lebron, Wade going to work on game winning shots under coaches like Phil, Stan VG, even Mike Brown and Spoelstra! These guys always make their move from the top of the key.

MDA "trusting his players" is just a shitty excuse and if it's not he needs to stop being so naive. Melo is not even a PG or a true playmaker. Give him the ball sure but to just let him run the whole play? What the hell?

I SMH so much about everything that happened the last 2 games and I still believe the referees are far more to blame than MDA. Game 1 we had Stat as the only guy on our team doing a great job. Game 2 we had Melo. When is MDA going to do a great job during an actual game?

They showed him on the sideline with a wrap and ice on his one knee.

I saw Turiaf on the sidelines with his knee wrapped up, he was not going to be able to play. Also I believe Shelden Williams was not able to play since he was still suffering from a sprained ankle he hurt in the last game of the regular season.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
:agreed:
I never been a fan of Dantoni's coaching (past or present),
My agreeing with the poster of the thread might be consider .......,
but there are to many FLAWS in Dantoni's coaching.

Injuries to Amare & Billups.....during the playoffs
I wonder while I wander MSG

Antoni sucks. It's good to see people agree.

I just want him off the team. He's done enough damage.

Everyone else can stay.

knicksman20

Benchwarmer

Shelden Williams then; who showed in the Magic game he could hold his own in the post against D12. He's a better low post player than JJ. JJ had no business guarding KG in the final 30 seconds of a playoff game PERIOD.

smokes

Huge Member
I have never argued about JJ being in the game what I don't understand is why he is the post player right in front of Melo on the block. Why isn't he camped out at the 3 point line on the opposite side of the court keeping himself and KG well out of the way? Seems logical to me.

nixon7

Benchwarmer
BS about Sheldon Williams

If Sheldon Williams and/or Turiaf are too injured to play, why didn't they activate Rautins and/or Balkman.

I am not buying the BS that Sheldon is too injured to play. If so, then he should not have been suited up.

jimkcchief88

All Star
I give MDA credit for a few things. One he has us here in the playoffs playing good basketball. Honestly I would never have expected this two months ago, I could never see us playing defense like this. I applaud MDA for this. But the guy cannot manage games.

There are 100 ways you can distribute the blame in this game, and yes the bottom line is we were extremely unfortunate, and should/could have won this game regardless of those coaching errors. But... WHY? Why should we have to put up with throwing countless games away in the final seconds? EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THOSE LOSSES CAN BE PARTIALLY ATTRIBUTED TO POOR COACHING!

Not fouling when we have a foul to give, awful substitution patterns, letting other teams go on huge runs against us without taking a time out or making any kinds of adjustments, and not being able to draw up a play to at least get us a LOOK at the last shot...

I mean jesus, sure other players get forced to take tough shots and miss them in game winning situations... At least their coach gets them a SHOT! Game 1 we had some wild 3 to try to win (when we only needed a 2 to tie), game 2 we didn't even get a shot attempt. I think it was Crazy who said it above at least other coaches know how to get their players a look.

Other people have said it too, you give the ball to your best player at center court... You don't push him towards the corner when he has no space to move! Go to youtube and watch some of Kobe, Lebron, Wade going to work on game winning shots under coaches like Phil, Stan VG, even Mike Brown and Spoelstra! These guys always make their move from the top of the key.

MDA "trusting his players" is just a shitty excuse and if it's not he needs to stop being so naive. Melo is not even a PG or a true playmaker. Give him the ball sure but to just let him run the whole play? What the hell?

I SMH so much about everything that happened the last 2 games and I still believe the referees are far more to blame than MDA. Game 1 we had Stat as the only guy on our team doing a great job. Game 2 we had Melo. When is MDA going to do a great job during an actual game?

No Smokes I respect your opinion and I haven't been the biggest supporter of D'ant either. But you have to give credit where credit is due. The Knicks were still in the game(unlike Friday night) and that leads back to D'ant. And "if" that play had worked we would be saying what a genius Coach D'ant is. We would have raved about how he used his hot shooter as a diversion and got the ball to the little used, least expected guy right under the goal. Even MJ had a Paxson or a Kerr to kick to when doubled in end game situations. D'ant was going up against a top defense that had already gotten torched for 40+ by MELO that night and so they weren't having it. No Chauncy, no STAT, so I think he designed the best play for the situation with the best players. Remember the Celtics are a top notch defensive team. On that side imbound, passing to the top of the key is to long a pass likely to be stolen. And we were out of timeouts if I remember. So you have to get the ball in first, we did, drew the double and MELO delivered a strike to a 6'11" man standing under the goal. Play was there and nicely designed. As Ozzie Guillen(coach of WhiteSox) would say: "I jus da manajor, OK, I canna hit fo dem, I canna run fo dem, I canna catch de bal fo dem...." you get the picture...

If Sheldon Williams and/or Turiaf are too injured to play, why didn't they activate Rautins and/or Balkman.

I am not buying the BS that Sheldon is too injured to play. If so, then he should not have been suited up.

I don't know about Balkman but Rautins had season ending surgery. If Sheldon was suppose to be the starting C in the playoffs (as MDA stated before twisting his ankle) rewarding him for his play near the end of the season why on earth would MDA not play him for any other reason than he is still hurt?