Diminished Playoff Role Frustrates Fields

goldenchild1688

Benchwarmer
I really would like to see him play more. The shots i feel will eventually fall but what is being overlooked is his defense. He's arguably our best perimeter player.

Diminished Playoff Role Frustrates Fields

Over the last four days, Landry Fields has been stoic and monotone as he answers questions about his preparedness, nervousness and readiness for his first playoff experience.

But upon returning to New York Wednesday, with Game 3 at Madison Square Garden awaiting Friday night, a frustrated Fields revealed some emotions on his Twitter account.

"Man, it's time, enough is enough," he said. "Let's do this."

The Knicks rookie, who started 81 of 82 games at shooting guard this season, has appeared lost on the court against the veteran Celtics. And as a result, he's getting lost on the bench.

Mike D'Antoni insisted on Monday, "My confidence is not shaken in him," but in both games Fields was not part of the rotation down the stretch.

Fields' troubles on offense clearly have D' Antoni looking elsewhere and the coach admitted before Game 2, "I'd be better served if I had more patience and kept him out there because we do need him and I trust him."

In crunch time in Game 2, however, D'Antoni went with Bill Walker (0-for-11) and veteran Roger Mason Jr . (1-for-4). Fields played just 5:05 in the second half and never got off the bench in the fourth quarter of the 96-93 loss.

On Sunday in Game 1, Fields played just 4:20 in the second half and not at all in the fourth quarter of the 87-85 loss.

Though he has tried to mask it, frustration with his diminished role is clearly building inside Fields, who had done a decent job defending his counterpart, 14-year veteran Ray Allen . Fields, the Stanford graduate, did "a pretty good amount" of cramming for this big test by studying video of Allen and the game's all-time three-point shooter's tendencies. "You just have to be there on the catch, he's a drop-dead shooter, everybody knows that," Fields said. "So you have to take away that and make him go to his second or third options."

Watching Allen drill three-pointers over the shorter defenders that D'Antoni has gone to, such as Toney Douglas and Anthony Carter, is undoubtedly maddening for the 6-7 Fields, who ached to be on the court.

"Yeah, every player wants to be out there and help out their team," Fields said. "Of course."

Allen has destroyed the Knicks from downtown, hitting seven of nine attempts, including 4-for-4 in Game 2. The Knicks entered the postseason with questions about the center position and their bench, but what has emerged is a bigger issue at shooting guard.

Fields has struggled to find a niche in the offense since the trade for Carmelo Anthony, which dramatically changed the look of the team and the offensive system. Before the trade, Fields averaged 10.1 points and 7.1 rebounds and shot 51.9 percent from the field. After the trade, his numbers fell to 9.1 points and 4.8 rebounds and 45.3-percent shooting.

- Alan Hahn

Last edited:
Come on, the last thing we need is a rookie starting to moan!

You've sucked since the All Star Break Landry! Live with it. Stop moaning and take it on the chin. You need to improve over the summer.

Can't understand why you want him on the floor goldenchild!?
He's been our worst player in both games, by quite some margin. He's turnover prone, can't score and get's caught by screens 3-4 times a game which leads to open 3s for Ray Allen.

Our best perimiter defender? Don't think so, Toney DOuglas is, followed by Anthony Carter.

MusketeerX

Rotation player

You've sucked since the All Star Break Landry! Live with it. Stop moaning and take it on the chin. You need to improve over the summer.

He's been our worst player in both games, by quite some margin. He's turnover prone, can't score and get's caught by screens 3-4 times a game which leads to open 3s for Ray Allen.

Our best perimiter defender? Don't think so, Toney DOuglas is, followed by Anthony Carter.

Billy Walker 0-11 should not be on that floor at the end of that game. Landry would have been better.

IMHO, Fields would do better coming off the bench. We already have STAT and Mello locking down the scoring opportunities in the starting lineup. Fields is still a rookie learning the in's and out's of professional B-Ball, and I suspect his recent slump is the result of experienced and consistant players gitting more touches then him. He can be a spark off the bench but for some strange reason coach hasn't figure that out yet. He needs to spread some of that talent to the weak bench.

oshi

Benchwarmer
Billy Walker 0-11 should not be on that floor at the end of that game. Landry would have been better.

Fields has held Ray Allen in check pretty good esp game 1 when he's been in what are you guys talking about. For real man Bill Walker 0-11 should NOT BE IN THE GAME. I trust Fields with better D and rebounding and Fields shot like 55% from 3 in 4th qtr during reg season.

iJoe

Rotation player
wow... how quickly some of you guys turn on someone you were rooting for a few months ago.....

Its true that Fields has had the hardest time adjust to Melo. As for why? Melo eats up a lot of the space Fields is more comfortable in and Melo likes to go for the boards that Fields usually gets.

He's a smart guy though and he's been clutch all year. Don't give up on him just because he's had a small rough patch. Have a shred of loyalty for goodness sake... he's a damn second round draft pick that has played his heart out for us.

oshi

Benchwarmer
wow... how quickly some of you guys turn on someone you were rooting for a few months ago.....

Its true that Fields has had the hardest time adjust to Melo. As for why? Melo eats up a lot of the space Fields is more comfortable in and Melo likes to go for the boards that Fields usually gets.

He's a smart guy though and he's been clutch all year. Don't give up on him just because he's had a small rough patch. Have a shred of loyalty for goodness sake... he's a damn second round draft pick that has played his heart out for us.

They inpatient I guess I've seen people hate on Billups and Melo on here as well. D'Antoni too but Im all for the MDA hate.

stuntmanmike

Benchwarmer
this coach doesn't believe defense wins games... he thinks chucking the ball at the basket does... fields plays better defense blindfolded than does douglas, carter, and walker combined... fields offense is a problem???? those guys shot something like 4 for 30??? give me a break... d'aint didn't get the bling in arizona he won't here... but this group of knicks will... read into that what you want.... go knicks

goldenchild1688

Benchwarmer
i agree. we stuck with him for most of the game but shorten the leash for someone whose been productive for us most of the season. his defense on ray when hes been in the game has been good as well. you have to show the guy you have some kind of confidence in him. i like walker but fields couldnt have been any worse

STAT1

Starter

Completely agree on all counts. Landry has some serious work to do over the summer to improve his skillset unless he plans on spending his entire career by just getting offensive rebound putbacks & wide open spot up jumpshots. Work on those dribbling skills, develop a little baby jumper & work on posting up smaller G's in the paint (Landry, you played lots of minutes as a F in college, I know these skills are in there somewhere!), develop a more consistent J & improve on defensive recognition. The Knicks had enough faith in this kid to make him an untouchable in the Melo trade talks, he needs to now do his part & step up to the plate & become the player the Knicks seem to think he can be. Landry has a big "To Do" list this summer, stop ****in' around with Andy Rautins at speed dating events & get to work!

la2ny

Starter
Mn F this rook he needs lots of work! Need 2 take Landry and dump him in a Field until he learns some basic things he's going to need in the NBA.

STAT1

Starter
Can't wait to read how frustrated Landry is for his role in this pathetic loss. Better hold onto that job at Modell's Landry, you might need it after this game.

Donnie better trade this bum!

I don't wanna see his ass anywhere near NY next season!

What a ****ing overrated piece of crap!

Can't even catch a pass, dribble the ball or pass it.

Soooooo overrated and overhyped.

It' s nice to get a double double against Toronto or Washington, but that doesn't mean shit!

We've lost the first 2 games because of his bad play.
With a half decent shooting guard it would be 2-1 Knicks now instead of 3-0 Celtics.

Oh and yeahhhh he leads all guards in rebounding - wooooooow that's surely the most important thing for a SG to do, rebound the ****ing ball! Of course!

Honestly Landry, you're a nice guy and all that but after this playoff series and pretty much the last part of the regular seasn I can't ****ing stand you anymore!
Even Mardy Collins was better than you are right now!

Donnie do us a favour man and trade Billups, Douglas and Fields for Chris Paul!

KBlack25

Starter
Diminished playoff role frustrates Fields?

Hey Landry, you know what frustrates me? Your failure to hit a shot or hang on to the ball when you drive in the lane.