The Official 2011 Offseason Thread

STAT1

Starter
A lot will depend on what we end up doing with Chauncey's option year. If we buy him out & re-sign him to a lesser deal then it might free up some cap room to sign a decent FA this summer. Otherwise if we just straight buy him out & dump his salary then we'll have enough cap room to sign an impact guy at the C position but will likely tie up any potential flexibility to target CP3 in 2012. Donnie's got some tough decisions to make this summer, if he's still around that is.

la2ny

Starter
No love for coach K?

If we're talking replacements, wanting someone who can call plays and someone who will command respect with media and players then I'd say he's got to be considered.
2 reasons:

1. Coach k leaving Duke seems really far fetched
2. College coaches don't have a good track record when making the transition to the NBA

Zylx

Benchwarmer
Glen Davis or DeAndre Jordan would make me happy. (I'd assume we can forgive Davis's words if he comes here:crossfingers:)

An Absolute steal for me at Center would be Greg Oden. While he is injury prone he has unharnessed talent on the defensive end that we need.

As for Point Guards I would want Rodney Stuckey. He learned under Billups and if we kept Billups and he continued to teach the young kid he could turn out to be a solid point guard.

mafra

Legend
Draft a PG. Sign Marc Gasol. Beg Van Gundy to return. Find a cheap vet SG who can guard and knock down a 3... like Stevenson.

Draft Faried, Trade Billups+Turiaf+Fields+Rautins for CP3, Fire MDA and sign JVG, bring back Jerome Jordan, sign vets like Nazr Mohammed, Grant Hill, Pietrus.

IcEWaTEr123

Benchwarmer
My take on what the Knicks should do.

Okay guys lets be optmistic, we had a winning record for the first time in 10 years and we made the playoffs for the first time in 7. It was a productive year. Here is what we need to do in the offseason to become a legit contender

Offseason Needs: Defensive minded tough coach, Big men, good shooter, athletic fast point guard.

Front office/coaching: Resign Donnie Walsh if he wants to come back. He was the man with the plan and turned this franchise around he deserves to finish this which i think he will be back. Second: Unofortunately we have to fire Mike Dantoni, lets give him credit though he had 3 different rosters 3 different years and tried his best to try to put the pieces together. Hes showed class he deserves the Knick fans respect. However the knicks have been a bad defensive team and have failed a lot in late game situations, also after timeouts the knicks were never really efficent. He is not the coach for this team, We should hire Jeff Van Gundy,
Player wise: Under Contract Next Season: Amare, Melo, Toney Douglas, Landry Fields, Andy Rautinas, Ronnie Turiaf, Renaldo Balkman.
We should resign: Sean Williams (toughness with a 3 pointshot). Bill Walker, Anthony Carter.
Good Bye: Jared Jeffries ( I dont care if he makes intagible plays i never wanna see him in a Knick uniform aagain). Shelden Williams, Roger Mason, Andy Rautians (although he deserves a training camp look), Derrick Brown, Renaldo Balkman( just cut him). And the tough one Chauncey Billups ( Lets be real he looks old and slow, had only 2-3 good games with the knicks, missed to many 3s and he gets hurt way to much. If we cut him we save money on his contract to sign a big man and another pg and other pieces)

OK..This leaves us with 7 openings for next season. Thats a lot lets start with who should we draft.
Draft possible picks: Kemba Walker, Shelvin Mack, Trey Thompkins, Tyler HoneyCutt, Chris Singleton, Jordan Williams.
Free Agent Targets: Deandre Jordan, Marc Gasol, Reggie Evans, Joe Przybilla, Peja Stojakovich, Acie Law, Chuck Hayes, Shane Battier, Sebastin Telfair, Jason Richardson, Jason Kapono, Grant Hill, Samuel Dalembert, Earl Watson, Anthony Parker

We have 7 Slots this would be the dream scenario with the possible cap room:
Kemba Walker
Deandre Jordan
Reggie Evans
Joel Pryzbilla
Anthony Parker
Grant Hill
Sebastin Telfair/Earl Waton for the final spot.

We will have like 16-20 million in cap space next season guys this team is only going to get better plus our first round pick, many of you may want to wait for chris paul but if we do that we will have no dept what so ever as much as thatd be cool we need pieces not another important piece, I pray the knicks agree with me and look to add pieces this offseason instead of holding pat and waiting for Paul.

The Lineup and roation next year:
Coach: Jeff Van Gundy
Lineup: Kemba Walker-Landry Fields- Carmelo Anthony- Amare Stoudemire- Deandre Jordan
Bench: Earl Watson-Anthony Parker-Reggie Evans-Grant Hill-Sean Williams-Joel Pryzbilla-Anthony Carter

Last edited:
You guys do realize CP3 will be a Knick. It may take a year but he's coming. You may as well base your wants on him being here because its gonna happen.

Anyone else notice STAT didnt really give MOA an endorement while speaking at his press conf? I also found it interesting that Melo said Him, STAT and Billups would sit down with Walsh and Dolan...

STAT1

Starter
You guys do realize CP3 will be a Knick. It may take a year but he's coming. You may as well base your wants on him being here because its gonna happen.

Anyone else notice STAT didnt really give MOA an endorement while speaking at his press conf? I also found it interesting that Melo said Him, STAT and Billups would sit down with Walsh and Dolan...

Damn did STAT really say that? Anyone have a link to the postgame comments?

welcometonycity

Rotation player
Marc Gasol, Deandre Jordan, Martin Gortat, or Jerome Jordan

Mikeal Pietrus, Jason Richardson, Jamal Crawford, or Grant Hill.

Draft a true point guard.

Fire D'ant pick up Adelman, Sloan, or VanGundy.

We good money.

Wargames

Starter
First thing we obviously have to do is find a way to get defense. The easiest way is for a coaching change.....

The second thing we need to do is build a line up of C's. Bring back J Jordan, draft another one or make a real run at a FA especially De'andre Jordan just because he would be a steal under the Arenas Rule for the MLE. If not him get somebody, maybe one of the Bigs from the Bobcats....

We also need to decide is Billups is the team future for 2-3 years, a stop gap to CP3, or a trade piece this year. I feel that decision will in more way decide the path of the Knicks than anything else they can do post-Melo trade.

ok with that said....

Whats the chances of trading for Rudy Fernandez for starting SG. Dude is Ginobli-esqu offensively and is deep on the trailblazers depth chart especially with the reemergence of Roy? His contract is still small so if it doesn't work out he is an expiring?

also the Knicks should make a run for Grant Hill for parameter defense (even though Corey Brewer was here already)

skisloper

Starter
First thing we obviously have to do is find a way to get defense. The easiest way is for a coaching change.....

The second thing we need to do is build a line up of C's. Bring back J Jordan, draft another one or make a real run at a FA especially De'andre Jordan just because he would be a steal under the Arenas Rule for the MLE. If not him get somebody, maybe one of the Bigs from the Bobcats....

We also need to decide is Billups is the team future for 2-3 years, a stop gap to CP3, or a trade piece this year. I feel that decision will in more way decide the path of the Knicks than anything else they can do post-Melo trade.

ok with that said....

Whats the chances of trading for Rudy Fernandez for starting SG. Dude is Ginobli-esqu offensively and is deep on the trailblazers depth chart especially with the reemergence of Roy? His contract is still small so if it doesn't work out he is an expiring?

also the Knicks should make a run for Grant Hill for parameter defense (even though Corey Brewer was here already)

Corey Brewer is so good why was he not used to stop Brandon Roy ?
U guys pretend players are better then they are.....He does not play in Dallas but in NY we lost out on a star....I just dont get the logic.

Wargames

Starter
Corey Brewer is so good why was he not used to stop Brandon Roy ?
U guys pretend players are better then they are.....He does not play in Dallas but in NY we lost out on a star....I just dont get the logic.

I didn't say he was a star I said we needed parameter D. I don't care about the mavs that team is built for depth the Knicks needed parameter d and could of used what he brings to the game. Please don't misquote me and then accuse me of hyping players.....

KingofNy

Starter
If we dont fire MOA it wont matter what players we get...

+1

If we don't fire Antoni we will still NEVER get true bigs and we'll will be a .500 team that relies on the jump shots falling to get wins... Oh yea and we'll consistently get demolished in the playoffs. Until we get a coach with an inside out philosophy with a post up game and defense we're phucked.

SoCal KnicksFan

Benchwarmer
My million dollar question is if Donnie is extended does that pretty much seal MDA staying on? It is truly sad that as much as I respect and admire DW that I have to be afraid that resigning him means we are stuck with MDA.

I think the real reason that it baffles me is they seem to have such different philosophies. DW realizes we need a few big men and has a huge decision to make at pg for the future, and will make every effort to make it happen.

The problem is what big man really wants to play for us under MDA?? I mean seriously??? The bottom line is even if DW does pull it off and get the Knicks a big man free agency, draft or both, will MDA actually use them to our advantage or will we again be wasting there talent and shoot up 3's like they are going out of style and just be happy with jump shots and be a borderline playoff team???

Again I just don't get the attraction DW has for MDA. I am ready to get bashed but to be perfectly honest if not resigning DW means MDA IS gone I'm not so sure it would hurt my feelings!!!

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I'd like to think that Donnie is extremely frustrated with Mike D if anything. Donnie brought us some good players (Derrick Brown, Anthony Randolph) who never got any burn in Mike D'Antoni's system. I bet Donnie is also pissed as hell for Mike D never playing Jordan Hill. Donnie did the best he could to get us the best players he could in such a short amount of time, and in a period of a year we've gone from having no hope to having two of the game's best superstars.

Donnie probably picked up AR thinking that AR was going to be the eventual third option on a championship-caliber team and/or really good trade bait so we didn't have to give up Danilo but at the end of the day, Mike D doesn't play bigs who are focused on defense...Ben Wallace would never have gotten any burn if he were on Mike D's team but we all know he's an excellent player.

If anything I think Donnie is fed up with D'Antoni playing only the players who fit his system and Donnie, if he's smart (which he is, considering he's probably basketball's best GM), is going to fire Mike D and find us a coach who coaches defense and a half-court offense that can make the best of the talent of the players we have. Carmelo's strength is in his post game, with Mike D it was virtually nonexistent.

drylc

Rookie
Yes, absolutely we need coaching change, let just look for some defensive coaches.. And a reliable Point Guard, ahh i really love if CP3 is coming here..