The Official 2011 Offseason Thread

Blumatic

Rotation player
CP3 would be great, but I love Chauncey's leadership. He has his player's ears. STAT and Melo listen to him. He has to stay in this organization somehow, whether as a player, back up to CP3, or asst coach. Hell I wouldnt mind head coach.

Did anyone catch Billups in a suit stand all the way at the coaching box telling Melo what to watch for. Looked Doc Riversesque.

smokes

Huge Member
First thing we obviously have to do is find a way to get defense. The easiest way is for a coaching change.....

The second thing we need to do is build a line up of C's. Bring back J Jordan, draft another one or make a real run at a FA especially De'andre Jordan just because he would be a steal under the Arenas Rule for the MLE. If not him get somebody, maybe one of the Bigs from the Bobcats....

We also need to decide is Billups is the team future for 2-3 years, a stop gap to CP3, or a trade piece this year. I feel that decision will in more way decide the path of the Knicks than anything else they can do post-Melo trade.

ok with that said....

Whats the chances of trading for Rudy Fernandez for starting SG. Dude is Ginobli-esqu offensively and is deep on the trailblazers depth chart especially with the reemergence of Roy? His contract is still small so if it doesn't work out he is an expiring?

also the Knicks should make a run for Grant Hill for parameter defense (even though Corey Brewer was here already)

Cosign most of this bar a few things...

Whether we count CP3 as a given or not I think just keep Billups. Maybe he will stay in New York for super cheap after his contract expires? Imagine Billups in the Anthony Carter role!!! If we can afford DeAndre + Billups full contract do it, if we have a realistic shot at DeAndre but we have to buyout Billups, do it.

Hire Rick Adelman or JVG whichever is available (prefer JVG).

Grant Hill is not only defense dude he still does every fundamental right and can still run the floor for up to 25 minutes per game. Dude is a monster for his age. He can also play backup 2 guard and is a great passer/rebounder (for a role player SF).

I was impressed by Barea all season now I just saw his playoff averages! Eek ok no way don't want that guy fell apart worse than TD. There are really few PG options this offseason I would be interested in apart from maybe Brooks but I'm sure his contract will be too much for us. Hence why I think keeping Billups is a good idea.

We all just gotta keep our fingers crossed that there is not a horrible lockout situation, the cap stays in our favour and we don't trade for CP3 at the deadline because: I know you guys are all pissed off at TD and Fields for sucking but we do not wanna trade away all our promising role players... AGAIN!

tiger0330

Legend
My predictions, Mike NoD'Antoni will be staying for the 1 year remaining on his contract despite the playoff sweep. Billups injury and Stat's bad back will be the convenient out for D'Ants for the sweep. The team could just not put together a solid rotation with those injuries, it became a fire drill at PG after Billups went down ultimately resorting to AC as the go to PG in the last game.

I think Billups is a goner, classic case of what happens when a player gets older, the body breaks down and then come the injuries. Mark Jackson the entire playoffs kept saying as far as Billups that a tough decision had to be made, it's not that tough, he's old, he's got one year left but we can buy him out for 30 cents on the $.

smokes

Huge Member
My predictions, Mike NoD'Antoni will be staying for the 1 year remaining on his contract despite the playoff sweep. Billups injury and Stat's bad back will be the convenient out for D'Ants for the sweep. The team could just not put together a solid rotation with those injuries, it became a fire drill at PG after Billups went down ultimately resorting to AC as the go to PG in the last game.

I think Billups is a goner, classic case of what happens when a player gets older, the body breaks down and then come the injuries. Mark Jackson the entire playoffs kept saying as far as Billups that a tough decision had to be made, it's not that tough, he's old, he's got one year left but we can buy him out for 30 cents on the $.

Business wise it makes sense but who do you replace him with? There are no better PG's available, so the injury risk is not so black and white.

SoCal KnicksFan

Benchwarmer
Maybe after today's game we won't have to worry about MDA anymore and this will be our first step in the the right direction for 2011-2012.
78304798.jpg

Wargames

Starter
Business wise it makes sense but who do you replace him with? There are no better PG's available, so the injury risk is not so black and white.

Thats my thing too you cannot just cut him for the instant cash due to their being no real good PG options available. Also buying him out counts against the cap. Hell even the draft is full of combo guards this year making finding his replacement there also difficult.

So even if the Knicks wanted to let Billups go it makes more sense to sign him to his 1 year extension. Then you can let him heal and hope he can show possible trade partners that he is still an asset. If that works his contract becomes worth more than simply 14 million expiring just because he is still a viable player.

Of course even if this can backfires and he ends up still injury prone its still a 14 million expiring contract.

So I really doubt the Knicks simply buy him out. It is what they decide to do with Billups after the season starts that will show where the team is heading for the foreseeable future. If he plays well they may simply let him stay with the intent to sign him to less in 2012. It depends on a lot of factors not the least of which is the new CBA.