Report: Knicks near two-year extension for Donnie Walsh

The season has ended, let the speculation about the Knicks begin.
It all starts with Donnie Walsh ? the contract for the team president and defacto GM is up on April 30. Knicks owner James Dolan has to make a decision this week.
And more than just pick up an option, he is looking to extend Walsh for two years, reports Ken Berger of CBSSports.com.
Walsh, 69, has an option for the 2011-12 season to be exercised by April 30, but the more likely scenario is a two-year extension that would keep the architect of the Knicks? revival at the helm through the critical next phase of the rebuilding plan?
?It?s basically going to be Donnie?s call whether he wants to come back,? said the person with knowledge of the organization?s intentions.
Bringing him back would be the only smart course of action. Walsh is guy who pulled New York out of the salary cap hell that Isiah Thomas had them in ? even while landing two legitimate stars they are paying half the salary. He brought in Amar?e Stoudemire and helped get Carmelo Anthony.
Walsh has not been perfect, but he deserves the chance to finish the rebuilding job he started.
Sounds like he is going to get the chance.
Damn maybe James Dolan isn't that dumb after all. :thumbsup:

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Good ish...we need to resign Walsh.

On a side note, did anyone get the feeling listening to JVG that he might be open to coming back as coach? I think he believes in our core and what he said about Walsh and what he has done makes me feel JVG might be attainable. :crossfingers:

Red

TYPE-A
Good ish...we need to resign Walsh.

On a side note, did anyone get the feeling listening to JVG that he might be open to coming back as coach? I think he believes in our core and what he said about Walsh and what he has done makes me feel JVG might be attainable. :crossfingers:

Oh' no you didn't!

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee

Get me a tissue!

===============================================================

● Great News!

Donnie epitomises professionalism, and with an owner like Dolan, we need as much of it as we can get. I hope it's legit. I couldn't possibly want another GM at the reigns during the imminent lockout. After the effort he's put forth since his inception, he should be making as much as Amar'e.

I think that if Walsh stays, there's a likelihood of MD staying, too.

I don't want that to happen, I know a lot of crew here do.

Another season of D'Antoni & Co's tribulation could give me an aneurism.

Scipio

Benchwarmer
Great news if it happens.

If, and or,when, Sir Donnie Walsh re-signs his first job has to be to sack no D-Toni and then lend him his walking frame so he can walk the hell out of New York and never come back.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
You know.....

Just teasing

I know what you are alluding too but if you actually looked at my stance on MDA it was always about truth and nuance while giving him time. While I still think he has not been given the optimal time I concluded after the trade that his strengths were not the perfect match for this team. Further I was frustrated more than a few times at the decisions made in the playoffs. So while I credit him for helping turn us into a winning team I think there are better coaches for us moving forward.

P.S. I have always been a fan of JVG.

P.P.S. It really depends on who we replace MDA with. Just say fire him and roll the dice on an unproven coach would not be ideal. If we can find a coach with a good pedigree who can take over than lets do it.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
Wait...can someone fill me in on what JVG said when he was commentating? I meant to record the game before I left for MSG but it totally slipped my mind.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Wait...can someone fill me in on what JVG said when he was commentating? I meant to record the game before I left for MSG but it totally slipped my mind.

He was basically saying Walsh did a great job. That he turned us from cap hell to having two legit stars and cap room and what a good situation the KNicks are in moving forward. He did not outright say that he would want to coach or anything close to that but if he is looking to get back into coaching and likes our core and direction what better place?

Red

TYPE-A
I know what you are alluding too but if you actually looked at my stance on MDA it was always about truth and nuance while giving him time. While I still think he has not been given the optimal time I concluded after the trade that his strengths were not the perfect match for this team. Further I was frustrated more than a few times at the decisions made in the playoffs. So while I credit him for helping turn us into a winning team I think there are better coaches for us moving forward.

P.S. I have always been a fan of JVG.

P.P.S. It really depends on who we replace MDA with. Just say fire him and roll the dice on an unproven coach would not be ideal. If we can find a coach with a good pedigree who can take over than lets do it.

Yup duly noted.

I'm to the point where almost anyone would eb better just for the unknown excitement- there are no gaurantees no matter how you slice it

JVG
M Jax
Adleman
Sloan
Calipari

Doesn't matter as long as they demonstrate their awareness of our situaton and demand for defense during the interview.

We've supported D'Antoni with less.

Marek

Benchwarmer
Good news. I'm sure it's up to DW to decide if he wants to stay. Dolan has done stupider things, but he knows he has to keep DW.

I would not want to see Allan Houston take over. Atleast not yet.

What's the last thing we heard about Mark Warkentien? His consulting gig here expires around draft time, or am I remembering wrong? If DW wants to step aside or phase himself out, I'd love for Warkentien to be the guy.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
He was basically saying Walsh did a great job. That he turned us from cap hell to having two legit stars and cap room and what a good situation the KNicks are in moving forward. He did not outright say that he would want to coach or anything close to that but if he is looking to get back into coaching and likes our core and direction what better place?

Gotcha.

There was an article in the Daily News a few days ago where I kind of got the same vibe. He was talking about how players and coaches alike have to look at and handle criticism as a part of the job as opposed to a negative, and he mentioned that should he get back into coaching he would definitely handle criticism differently.

Still not much of anything if you read it verbatim, but hopefully there's something there.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Gotcha.

There was an article in the Daily News a few days ago where I kind of got the same vibe. He was talking about how players and coaches alike have to look at and handle criticism as a part of the job as opposed to a negative, and he mentioned that should he get back into coaching he would definitely handle criticism differently.

Still not much of anything if you read it verbatim, but hopefully there's something there.

If Allan Houston takes over and Walsh does not extend then maybe a 1999 vibe will wash over our organization and attract JVG back.

Red

TYPE-A
If Allan Houston takes over and Walsh does not extend then maybe a 1999 vibe will wash over our organization and attract JVG back.

Wow, you're going hard for JVG.

How about Mike Brown? He too won 60+ games in CLE twice, albeit with a super star, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. And did it with defense rank top 5 (I believe, maybe #1).

...as an assistant? Coupled with someone new?

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Thank god it didn't say for D'Antoni!

Yup, I'll be here all year.

Cause you'd believe it lock, stock and barrell if it was there right??

Just kiddin..

Donnie coming back means MDA will be back next yr, possibly longer even.

MDA's Donnie's guy.