The more I think about it, we have to sign Bill Laimbeer

This guy has been to the wars in the NBA. I'm sure he has seen just about everything there is to see on the court. He's young enough, fresh enough to be able to communicate with todays player. I'm sure he had a hand in AR's recent play no matter how short the stint was with him teaching this kid. We want bigs, we need someone that understands paint play, this is the guy. IMHO we cant go wrong here.

tiger0330

Legend
He would be better than Mark Jackson, at least he's been an asst and a head coach of a women's team but there are a lot of ex-head coaches looking for a job that are more qualified.

He would be better than Mark Jackson, at least he's been an asst and a head coach of a women's team but there are a lot of ex-head coaches looking for a job that are more qualified.

His first asst would be Rick Mahorn. Honestly, how could we not build a tough defensive minded team with those two guys on board? How could we not exploit the paint area? I'm telling you now the team that hires Laimbeer will be good for years to come. Especially if there is some talent there...

STAT1

Starter
He's been trying to get a job in the NBA for the longest but no one's hired him. There has to be a reason for this. Maybe his offensive/defensive schemes just aren't that intricate or overly impressive? There's not a tougher or nastier ex-NBA player out there but as a coach maybe he's just not all that? Just wondering, I really don't have much of a clue as to what kind of head coach he would make just figure other teams would have been interested in him by now if he showed the ability.

He's been trying to get a job in the NBA for the longest but no one's hired him. There has to be a reason for this. Maybe his offensive/defensive schemes just aren't that intricate or overly impressive? There's not a tougher or nastier ex-NBA player out there but as a coach maybe he's just not all that? Just wondering, I really don't have much of a clue as to what kind of head coach he would make just figure other teams would have been interested in him by now if he showed the ability.

Yea, maybe there is something. I gotta do some research...

It seems to be he made a lot of enemies as a player (this coming form Chuck Daly). Other than that they say he's smart as a whip. I'm looking for more...

Nothing out there derogatory that I can find. Other than what I posted. Heck Isiah wasnt the most well liked person in the NBA and he got a couple of chances. Thinking about it neither was Doc Rivers or Danny Ainge. Give the man a shot...

New New York

Quiet Storm
What does he bring that Mike Woodson does not?

No thanks, bad enought our owner is in love with Isiah Thomas, do we really need a coach advocating for him?

Wargames

Starter
What does he bring that Mike Woodson does not?

No thanks, bad enought our owner is in love with Isiah Thomas, do we really need a coach advocating for him?

He was also team mate with Kelly tripucka and Kelly tripucka is alright in my book lol. Anyhow how can you hate a guy who nicknames a bad attitude player Crackhead..... Imagine what he would of called Eddy Curry :)

http://mobile.detroitbadboys.com/20...se-of-bill-laimbeer-the-right-man-for-the-job

Basically he's won championships, was able to keep a team productive whilw his star player had a hissy fit, he preaches defense, and he helped kevin love develop inti the stretch four he is right now.

More than that the knicks need a coach to be a leader of the team. All the stars the Knicks have now aren't leader material mentally besides chandler and that is mostly defensive. Stat tries but he defers to Melo to much. Bill Laimbeer could be a leader and just allow the players to play.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nba/news/story?id=6273875 Hey we all hate the bulls too. Thats always a plus

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/columns/story?columnist=voepel_mechelle&id=4396428 plus this article explains why he is a championship caliber coach

http://sports.espn.go.com/wnba/columns/story?columnist=voepel_mechelle&id=4261130 final link but a good article nonetheless explaining how he is the complete opposite of D'antoni. By preaching all the stuff we fans feel the knicks need.Also did I mention when he was a WNBA GM he use to rob other team in trades for better players? Because as crazy as it sounds he was competant enough to do that and like outsmarting his competition. Oxymoron there outsmarting competutio and knicks but hey why not.....

So look I cant see how anyone canread these articles and not put laimbeer over Phil Jackson who we have no guarantee will he coming back. In my mind its either Phil or Bill or another few years wasted.

Last edited:

Wargames

Starter
well literally the roosters came home to roost. The knicks have dug themselves into a ditch yet again.... but there are steps they can do to get out of it.

Step 1. move get a new coach and spend the rest of this season working on a system that promotes chemistry.

Step 2. cry silently in our cars as we listen on the radio how the pick we should of got went to the Rockets.

Step 3. Knicks Management "Don't Get Desperate!!!!" make smart moves in the off season and find some decent roleplayers for a reasonable price. Do not spend your last Full MLE before going into the luxury on an aging PG. If baron shows he can play decently just find him a cheap back up. That said start looking at players who can play multiple positions. Depth is an issue so a sixth man who can log heavy minutes at a few spots is key. Hahn said the Nuggets would want Wilson Chandler back so that is a long shot but hey there are other decent SG/SF's out there.

Step 4. Hire Bill Laimbeer and have him teach the knicks scrub roleplayers to at least have the balls to foul someone..... HARD. The knicks should invest into some goons who at the very least can play defense to let their finesse players breathe. Shump, Jorts, and Chandler are moves in the right direction. Find one more player like them and the knicks can harass anyone. Also I know the league isn't as physical but look at the Celtics and their bag of trick... You can still get away with a lot if the league knows that is how you play.

Step 5. The most important one as well. Don't make any stupid trades.....

Bane

Rookie
I agree with this thread, Laimbeer actually knows how to win as a coach and player, 2 time champ as a player 3 time wnba champ as a coach. A defensive coach, not just defensive minded. And hopefully he will bring that same attitude he had as a player to the team as a coach, because this time has no balls the way they play. attitude is everything.

KingofNy

Starter
I agree with this thread as well. I'm at the point I'll take any other coach that has fundamentals in the half-court offense/defense for a 1 yr rental. D'Antoni just isn't cutting it.

quiggle

Starter
so basically those who say get Lambear is basically conceding that Zeke will be back in some capacity right?

Kiyaman

Legend
How did Coach Stan Van Gundy put it when he called Walsh & Dantoni
"Idiot-fools" or "foolish-idiots" for not hiring ast-coach Patrick Ewing or
Bill Laimbeer in the 2008 offseason to give the Knicks a bigman defense coach?

KingofNy

Starter
How did Coach Stan Van Gundy put it when he called Walsh & Dantoni
"Idiot-fools" or "foolish-idiots" for not hiring ast-coach Patrick Ewing or
Bill Laimbeer in the 2008 offseason to give the Knicks a bigman defense coach?

I think all Knicks fans would rejoice if JVG would come back and coach but I really think Dolan and him are like Oil and Water so imo it's highly unlikely. I think we're gonna lose 4 out of our next 5 and D'Antoni will be out the door shortly after. Look for Woodson to take over the job for the season and for the Knicks to go after a bigger name coach if he doesn't work out during the offseason.

Wargames

Starter
I think all Knicks fans would rejoice if JVG would come back and coach but I really think Dolan and him are like Oil and Water so imo it's highly unlikely. I think we're gonna lose 4 out of our next 5 and D'Antoni will be out the door shortly after. Look for Woodson to take over the job for the season and for the Knicks to go after a bigger name coach if he doesn't work out during the offseason.

On the flip if mark Jackson does well they might look to a newer coach..... Also Jerry Sloan maybe on the coaching block but the rumor is he wants the Kings HC job.