Knicks will Keep Billups. Option picked up.

Blumatic

Rotation player
@FisolaNYDN
Frank Isola
Knicks have now made it official. Donnie Walsh wanted Billups back. That's a great sign for Knicks if Walsh is still in power.

I think this a good move. He is the best pg available this year. Its an expiring contract as well. Makes sense.

I wondered if they asked him about a buyout and a resigning. But that would have to be for more that one year which may hurt their 2012 plans.

Blumatic

Rotation player
..April 27, 2011 2:51 PM 0 comments .Knicks will pick up option on Chauncey Billups; guard to return next season
BY Frank Isola

The Knicks are bringing back Chauncey Billups.

The Daily News has learned that the Knicks agreed Wednesday to pick up the one-year, $14.2 million option on the veteran point guard's deal. An official announcement is expected to be made sometime Wednesday afternoon.

"We have made a decision to keep Chauncey Billups for the upcoming 2011-12 season," Knicks team president Donnie Walsh said in a statement. "Chauncey, Amar'e and Carmelo are a great nucleus, as we continue to look to improve our team going into the off-season. Chauncey is an extremely talented and experienced point guard - we are very happy to have him back."

Billups' contract called for the Knicks to decide on his future within five days of the conclusion of their season. The team had until Friday to either pick up his option of buy him out for $4 million.

Carmelo Anthony and Amar'e Stoudemire both lobbied to bring back Billups, the 2004 NBA Finals MVP who came to New York from Denver in the Anthony deal.

Billups injured his left knee in Game 1 of the Knicks' playoff series against the Boston Celtics and missed the final three games of the first-round sweep.

skisloper

Starter
Great News !!!!!
Just wish the NBA Finals would be done with.
Not fun knowing we are done..
But once this season ends we can to watch as Donnie puts together a few more players to make us at least Championship contenders...

KBlack25

Starter
I think Hahn said it better than I could, for anyone ready to be critical:

For those against the Billups move, please explain who you would get to run the point with the little bit of cap room you'd have.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Billups is our bridge to getting CP3. His contract comes off in 2012 and with a few shewd moves we'll have some space for him. Donnie's working his magic.

no criticism here, and its a great thing to have a 14.3 expiring contract attached a servicable high pedigree point guard.

last few years our expiring contracts were the likes of eddy curry, jerome james and jefferies.

so in terms of a possible trade piece who knows, or you let him ride out, sign some one next summer, and resign billups for cheap.

all signs point to donnie walsh, GM of the year next season.

platnumn

Benchwarmer
SO HAPPY about this!!!!!!!!!

I feel like this could also mean that Mike is out... Although CB4 (the real CB4, **** Chris Giraffe Bosh) said he was going to play 5lbs lighter to keep pace in Mike D's system, I can't help but think how it'd benefit us to go to a more rugged halfcourt offense.

Mike D doesn't know what to do with Billups, as evidenced by the many "We have a great playmaker so I just let him do what he does" comments he spits out.

nyk_nyk

All Star
I initially felt it was a better idea to buy him out and resign him for less money, but then I realized that would mean a multi year deal which would get in the way of 2012. So I'm happy with this decision. We probably won't be able to get any of the FA centers we were after but at least the PG position is covered for now.

This also means we have a pretty good expiring contract to offer if need be. The thing I'm not sure about is how we are supposed to negotiate with NOH if Paul talks surface, seeing as how their league managed now. Good news is the NBA owns them and we all know the leagues popularity is heavily tied to how good their big market teams are (notably NYC).

NYallDay

Benchwarmer
This is def the right move by the NYK
And the theory that we should buy him out and resign him at a lower number so we could use the extra cap space to get a center is very very weak.
We buy him out for 4 mill and even if we resign him at 6.5, thats 10.5 against the cap this year, compared to the 14.4 mill he'll be getting now. so us saving 4.5 mill is not gonna get us much from the free agent market. And it clearly takes us out of the running for any 2012 free agents if the new CBA doesnt really hurt us.

Plus i mean i get it the dude is old and might've lost a step or 2 but hes a clever, savvy vet, he still have the jump shot and ice in his veins at the end of games.

Mr Big Shot is def the right man to run the 1 spot for us

Blumatic

Rotation player
I initially felt it was a better idea to buy him out and resign him for less money, but then I realized that would mean a multi year deal which would get in the way of 2012. So I'm happy with this decision. We probably won't be able to get any of the FA centers we were after but at least the PG position is covered for now.

This also means we have a pretty good expiring contract to offer if need be. The thing I'm not sure about is how we are supposed to negotiate with NOH if Paul talks surface, seeing as how their league managed now. Good news is the NBA owns them and we all know the leagues popularity is heavily tied to how good their big market teams are (notably NYC).

I was thinking the exact same thing. On bouth points.

Why cantthe NBA help us. The Lakers put Jerry West incharge of the Grizzlies thus facilitating the Gasol trade. Kevin Mchale helped out his old team and buddy Danny Ainge to get Kevin Garnett to Boston.

Give us Chris Paul. They should sign him to a 6 year 100 million dollar deal then waive him. Then we can just give him the veteran minimum. (tongue in cheek).

Last edited:

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Since we have zero cap space, maybe we should use the MLE to sign a solid SG. Then trade Billups expiring contract + Fields to Cleveland for Varejao + Ramon Sessions. Maybe?

I really don't see how we can get CP3. We have nothing to trade and not enough cap space to sign him, unless he's willing to make about half of what Melo makes (doubt it). We need to move on. It's virtually impossible. Time to think of other options (see above).

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Since we have zero cap space, maybe we should use the MLE to sign a solid SG. Then trade Billups expiring contract + Fields to Cleveland for Varejao + Ramon Sessions. Maybe?

I really don't see how we can get CP3. We have nothing to trade and not enough cap space to sign him, unless he's willing to make about half of what Melo makes (doubt it). We need to move on. It's virtually impossible. Time to think of other options (see above).

If we ride out the year w Billups and his contract comes off, then we shed a few other expiring contracts how would CP3 be making "half" of what Amare and Melo would making respectively??

Once we get CP3 dudes'll be lining up to sign for the vet minimum to play for a team that has a legit shot at a title.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
I thought he would be gone even though I like Billups. Crazy's thread about the pro's and cons of keeping him or buying him out really was slanted towards keeping him.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
I like the move. Chauncey Billups is good, but he needs to get his minutes cut down to 28-30 mpg. He's too old to be playing 35+ minutes.

I was thinking the exact same thing. On bouth points.

Why cantthe NBA help us. The Lakers put Jerry West incharge of the Grizzlies thus facilitating the Gasol trade. Kevin Mchale helped out his old team and buddy Danny Ainge to get Kevin Garnett to Boston.

Give us Chris Paul. They should sign him to a 6 year 100 million dollar deal then waive him. Then we can just give him the veteran minimum. (tongue in cheek).
I actually was thinking about this. David Stern is an NY guy and grew up a Knicks fan, also it was rumored that he fixed the 1985 draft so that we can draft Ewing. Why wouldn't he want one his richest franchises to do well? He can gain a shitload of money from all the New Yorkers watching us in the Finals.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
If we ride out the year w Billups and his contract comes off, then we shed a few other expiring contracts how would CP3 be making "half" of what Amare and Melo would making respectively??

Once we get CP3 dudes'll be lining up to sign for the vet minimum to play for a team that has a legit shot at a title.

IF we are able to trade Balkman for an expiring contract, and IF we decide to not keep Douglas, and IF we trade our 1st round pick this year for an expiring contract we will be at $44.15 mil in team salary with only 2 players on the roster.

Please provide details how we can sign CP3.

Remember, Bosh took $14.5 mil, Lebron took $14.5 mil and Wade took $14 mil. Their 3 salaries combined are only $3 mil less than Melo and Amare's 2 salaries combined. Do the math.

People also need to realize that N.O. will likely follow Denver and trade him before he becomes a free agent.

Please provide details of a realistic trade for us to acquire CP3. Keep in mind it cost us half our roster to get Melo when we were the only team Melo wanted.