Mike forced to conform. Adding DEFENSIVE asst.

Red

TYPE-A
Whoa guy relax before you burst a blood vessel. I merely pointed out that I suggested this weeks ago. (fact) I was attacked for doing so.(fact) Those attackers said MDA would never allow it and cited his departure in Phoenix. (fact) MDA is allowing it and does not look to be leaving.(fact) Those who attacked me were wrong. (fact)

Simmer dunny...

But that's just it. The Details suggest- Mike ISN'T ALLOWING ANYTHING- its an ultimatum.

nyk_nyk

All Star
What I find interesting is some people (not you specifically) talk about the "Yes Men" aspect but in the same breath beg for Herb Williams (one of the alleged Yes Men) to become head coach.

If MDA goes, so too should his whole staff. That includes Herb Williams. I don't really believe in firing a head coach and retaining assistants - for the most part.

I wanted Herb gone a looooooooong time ago. I always felt he added no value to the team. He's been here so long under constant losing and has never been mentioned (to my knowledge) as being anything more than an assistant. My friends think he has some dirt on Dolan which is why he's included on every new coaching staff.

KBlack25

Starter
I wanted Herb gone a looooooooong time ago. I always felt he added no value to the team. He's been here so long under constant losing and has never been mentioned (to my knowledge) as being anything more than an assistant. My friends think he has some dirt on Dolan which is why he's included on every new coaching staff.

Agreed - he deserved to be booted after that abysmal head coaching run he had...embarrassing, no offensive OR defensive scheme whatsoever.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
But that's just it. The Details suggest- Mike ISN'T ALLOWING ANYTHING- its an ultimatum.

Right, you and others pointed out he left Phoenix for that same ultimatum as reason why it won't happen here. You and others were wrong as it appears he is accepting that to stay in NYC. BTW, his acceptance should be yet another sign of his evolution and desire to be in NYC.

KBlack25

Starter
Right, you and others pointed out he left Phoenix for that same ultimatum as reason why it won't happen here. You and others were wrong as it appears he is accepting that to stay in NYC. BTW, his acceptance should be yet another sign of his evolution and desire to be in NYC.

Agreed - his acceptance (as opposed to taking the other side of the ultimatum) shows his desire to adapt and to attempt to win with this team that he has now, and improve himself as a coach.

I don't see how this is a negative, at all, on MDA...

Red

TYPE-A
That's fair as was an assumption based on his past.

And the PHX decision (no decision) wasn't an ultimatum. He chose to walk away.

This is more of a subvertive move- this is what we are doing, like it or not.

p0nder

Starter
This is FANTASTIC news. I think MDA's offensive system CAN work but it needs to be implemented with a defensive minded piece. This D Coach should not necessarily be someone who is going to re-tool the entire team, but someone that can get these guys to make some key stops.

D'ants decision to adhere with the big-wigs show's some personal growth, tho i imagine he is not entirely enthralled about having someone else brought into 'his' team. I am thinking that Amar'e and Melo will also be consulted on the choice.

Wargames

Starter
Hey I believe this story because not for nothing mda is between a rock and a hard place. Right now the Knicks have amare who arguably is the best scorer he ever worked with on the suns and Melo who is a top 10 player in the league. He is also making 6 million. It doesn't get better for him than this and yet everyone says he can't coach defense and then the Knicks get swept and the celtics mocks his teams defense.

So where is he planning on going to? The GSW? Please that is another hachet job team that will require time to become a contender and even that is not a absolute possibility either.

He has to agree to a defensive assistant because there are Coaches who would take his job in a second and there are no better options for him out there. I mean realistically the suns may have won it all if they had played some defense. If he leaves and the Knicks win it all with the next coach who has them play defense he will look like a sucker.

I dont like it. For these reasons:

1) MOA still has the final say on who plays. This reason alone is enough for us not to get to excited. If we hire a defensive assistant what makes you all think the players that are better defensively are gonna play?

2) Being that MOA still has final say we could still lose out on players that fit any type of defensive scheme we try to implement. A player like Jeff Foster still may not want to sign with us, and if he does what guarantee does he have that he's gonna get burn? A guy like this we can use coming off the bench.

Its better for everyone if MOA just leaves outright...

:gony:Hallelujah! this is the best news that i heard all season (aside from amare and melo) thank god do u think donnie secretly visits this site....
i wonder as i dream about not 1 not two but 7 championships in my head lol:gony:

KBlack25

Starter
I dont like it. For these reasons:

1) MOA still has the final say on who plays. This reason alone is enough for us not to get to excited. If we hire a defensive assistant what makes you all think the players that are better defensively are gonna play?

2) Being that MOA still has final say we could still lose out on players that fit any type of defensive scheme we try to implement. A player like Jeff Foster still may not want to sign with us, and if he does what guarantee does he have that he's gonna get burn? A guy like this we can use coming off the bench.

Its better for everyone if MOA just leaves outright...

To answer your first question, I counter with another question: What makes you think hiring a defensive assistant won't make the players that do play better on defense?

SoCal KnicksFan

Benchwarmer
If every move the Knicks make is trying to fit the coach, it would be far less trouble to just get rid of MOA and hire someone more flexible.

KingCharles34

All Star
Now you feel appropriate to hail Mike for being FORCED to accept help towards his deficiency instead of subverting our goals doing things his flawed way?

Way to spin things and remain humble... a simple I'm glad would do.

And of course you think you deserve credit.

N*gga please, this just underscores the knowledgeable view points, you didn't share when defending him.

And I'm not referring to when you straddled the fence, I'm referring to when you refused to recognize. This is a further example of your refusal to admit the truth and spin things to fit your point.

I'm well aware. Trust me. This is a "Mike isn't doing a good job" referendum, not a "see Mike knows wassup" moment.

If anything myself and others have a right to say "we told you so"...
Your rep futher tanks as a result. Spin doc's are out!

No disrespect to them other posters but I agree with this right here...although kblacks following post sounded like he mighta been being sarcastic in his first post. I didnt read any posts after that, but like I said its only because donnie G is being more assertive.

In Phoenix, Mike D left a team that seemed to have problems finding the right mix of players after trading the Matrix for Shaq. And Nash has been gettin older even though he still nice and same with Grant Hill....Is this something that Mike D woulda ever came to the conclusion that he needs to do on his own? He sure seemed insecure the first time the media asked him about hiring a defensive assistant. On the flipside maybe its not just because the knicks front office is being encouraged to hire a defensive assistant, but maybe he was already beginning to come to that conclusion after the playoffs. Maybe he seen these other teams like Boston, Miami, and Chicago all playing great defense and finally realized that he wont be successful if his team dont play more defense. We'll never know, but I tend to side more with the "hes mainly doing it because the knicks front office is telling him to" opinion

To answer your first question, I counter with another question: What makes you think hiring a defensive assistant won't make the players that do play better on defense?

Since when is answering a question with a question proper. That being said. Sure they may play better. But, you still need players that primarily concentrate on the defensive end. You need them on your roster & getting PT. MOA has never been one to consider something like this. Offense has always been first with him...

KBlack25

Starter
Since when is answering a question with a question proper. That being said. Sure they may play better. But, you still need players that primarily concentrate on the defensive end. You need them on your roster & getting PT. MOA has never been one to consider something like this. Offense has always been first with him...

Since when is answering a question with a question proper? I don't know...you seemed okay with doing it.

Certain guys on this squad are going to get minutes...all year you begged and moaned and bitched that MDA isn't preaching defense, and that it "didn't matter" what the roster was (these are YOUR statements), any coach should be able to preach, and get the team to play better, defense. Now, it looks like we will be getting a coach on the staff that can do so, exactly what you wanted...no?

In fact

Clyde & The Pearl said:
Disagree. (Defense) can be instilled in these players. You teach it and practice it everyday it becomes second nature. By the way, doing anything in life everyday makes it become second nature. You do realize this I hope.

http://www.knicksonline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=158555&highlight=roster+defense#post158555

Now it's the roster that needs adjusting (which is what I suggested in the first place)? Which is it? Or are you just out to disagree with me?

Last edited:

Blumatic

Rotation player

If its offense first, then why the hell does Jared Jeffries get so much burn.

Isnt that weird?

Since when is answering a question with a question proper? I don't know...you seemed okay with doing it.

Certain guys on this squad are going to get minutes...all year you begged and moaned and bitched that MDA isn't preaching defense, and that it "didn't matter" what the roster was (these are YOUR statements), any coach should be able to preach, and get the team to play better, defense. Now, it looks like we will be getting a coach on the staff that can do so, exactly what you wanted...no?

In fact

http://www.knicksonline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=158555&highlight=roster+defense#post158555

Now it's the roster that needs adjusting (which is what I suggested in the first place)? Which is it? Or are you just out to disagree with me?

Lets just put it like this. MOA has the ultimate control over who plays. I dont trust him to play the right players at the right times, because he's never had to do it before. He doesnt have the experience necessary to make offensive and defensive switches to end games. I just watched how Lionel Hollins did just that to close out SA. Switching in Mayo & Allen and vice-versa. Know why Hollins knows this is the thing to do. He played hard fought games in the NBA playoffs. Has Mike? Would Mike be willing?

As far as the roster everyone thinks that this roster needs some upgrades. Heck I thought Walsh did an excellent job upgrading this past year. We wouldnt know it because a few of the players never saw any burn.

Fellow Knick fans you actually trust MOA to do the right thing as far as playing time when it comes to bigs?

I DONT...

If its offense first, then why the hell does Jared Jeffries get so much burn.

Isnt that weird?

Maybe because he's doing MOA. Who knows. MOA is enamored with Jeffries for some strange reason. But Jeffries isnt the type of defensive player this team needs. They need a big strong space eater.