*Edit:

CP3 and Okafur's salaries = $26.4 mil

All of our players left (minus Amare and Melo) = $17.8 mil

It's impossible.

Last edited:

JazRedGT

Benchwarmer
It's impossible.

Would it be possible to offer a 1 year mid level exception to a vet and resign one of our players this year in hopes off adding a them to a possible trade for Okafor?

What if we offered Turiaf 4mil, Fields500k , Billups 14mil, Mid Level someone another 5 mil I think for Paul 15mil and Okafor 11.5mil?

Us: Paul and Okafor 26.5 mil coming in.

Them: Turiaf, Billups, Fields, Mid someone Roughly 24mil coming in.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Would it be possible to offer a 1 year mid level exception to a vet and resign one of our players this year in hopes off adding a them to a possible trade for Okafor?

What if we offered Turiaf 4mil, Fields500k , Billups 14mil, Mid Level someone another 5 mil I think for Paul 15mil and Okafor 11.5mil?

Us: Paul and Okafor 26.5 mil coming in.

Them: Turiaf, Billups, Fields, Mid someone Roughly 24mil coming in.

I suppose the numbers would work in that scenario but there is no way in hell New Orleans would agree to that deal.

We need to think of more realistic options. For example Billups + Fields + Douglas to Sacramento for Francisco Garcia + Beno Udrih + Jason Thompson

JazRedGT

Benchwarmer
I suppose the numbers would work in that scenario but there is no way in hell New Orleans would agree to that deal.

We need to think of more realistic options. For example Billups + Fields + Douglas to Sacramento for Francisco Garcia + Beno Udrih + Jason Thompson

Well to NO it would be all CAP relief and keeping a young talent in Fields. Maybe we throw Douglas in there too.

Remember if Chris plays hard ball like Melo did they wont have a choice but to trade with us or lose him. Unless the owners push for some kind of franchise tag to be included in the new CBA.

Also I dont like that Sac trade. Garcia is weak. Not even consistent from the field. Udrih? Really? No thanks. Thompson? Another David Lee? Good rebounder but too small to play center and his D is trash anyway.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound

Explain to me why NO wouldn't do that deal when they stand to lose Paul for nothing in FA?

If Paul tells NO he only will go to the Knicks and teams know he won't sign long-term, then NO will be forced to deal w us.

No other team will take him, while giving up pieces if they know he won't stay..

We'll be in a good position.

Or we could do a deal w Sac.. :|

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Explain to me why NO wouldn't do that deal when they stand to lose Paul for nothing in FA?

If Paul tells NO he only will go to the Knicks and teams know he won't sign long-term, then NO will be forced to deal w us.

No other team will take him, while giving up pieces if they know he won't stay..

We'll be in a good position.

Or we could do a deal w Sac.. :|

You mean the exact same scenario we went through with Melo? The one where Denver stood to lose Melo for nothing but we got played into giving up all of our young talent and draft picks?

All this talk is eerily similar to the Melo talk last summer. Everyone said we could get Melo for Chandler + Curry.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Look, you guys want to live the fantasy that CP3 is coming. Go ahead. I'll stop with the facts. I'll believe it when I see it. I just get the feeling there are going to be A LOT of disappointed Knick fans this summer.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
You mean the exact same scenario we went through with Melo? The one where Denver stood to lose Melo for nothing but we got played into giving up all of our young talent and draft picks?

All this talk is eerily similar to the Melo talk last summer. Everyone said we could get Melo for Chandler + Curry.

But the circumstances are different. There will be no threat of a new CBA looming over Paul.

Because of that he can confidently say to NO, "I'll only sign long-term w the Knicks".

That should effectively end a bidding war as other teams learn he won't stay w them.

Let us remember the main reason Donnie felt compelled to do the Melo deal at the deadline was because he thought Melo would sign long-term w the Nets to avoid losing money due to a new CBA.

Barring any drastic changes, Paul and the Knicks will not have the CBA factor to deal w.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
But the circumstances are different. There will be no threat of a new CBA looming over Paul.

Because of that he can confidently say to NO, "I'll only sign long-term w the Knicks".

That should effectively end a bidding war as other teams learn he won't stay w them.

Let us remember the main reason Donnie felt compelled to do the Melo deal at the deadline was because he thought Melo would sign long-term w the Nets to avoid losing money due to a new CBA.

Barring any drastic changes, Paul and the Knicks will not have the CBA factor to deal w.

True. But that doesn't stop a team like New Orleans playing us the way the Nuggets and Nets did.

Trust me, it's going to take more than Fields to get us the best PG in the game.

*Edit - We may not have the cap space to sign CP3, so NO can play that card against us. They would probably let CP3 walk for a trade exception to another team in free agency than give him away for nothing. Rememer, teams are working in their best interests, not ours, or CP3's. Just like Denver.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
Don't forget our first round pick this year which should have a cap hold of like $1.6-1.8M.

I still think if we select a PG in the first round that would help us in any potential deal for CP3. I'm sure they don't plan to give the reigns to Jarret Jack for the long haul....give them a young prospect in return. Turiaf, Fields, Billups, MLE player, 1st round selection for CP3 and Okafor.

That's assuming they don't draft one, but they're probably still operating under the assumption that they'll have Chris on the roster for a while, and maybe address another position...but we'd get a good indication of that since they're gonna pick before us.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
True. But that doesn't stop a team like New Orleans playing us the way the Nuggets and Nets did.

Trust me, it's going to take more than Fields to get us the best PG in the game.

*Edit - We may not have the cap space to sign CP3, so NO can play that card against us. They would probably let CP3 walk for a trade exception to another team in free agency than give him away for nothing. Rememer, teams are working in their best interests, not ours, or CP3's. Just like Denver.

Yes, but then Donnie can sit back and w a relaxed tone tell them, "You don't want to accept our fair (lol) offer?? Okay then, we'll wait and see what happens in FA..".

He should have the upper hand because everyone in the league knows Paul wants NY.

JazRedGT

Benchwarmer
Yes, but then Donnie can sit back and w a relaxed tone tell them, "You don't want to accept our fair (lol) offer?? Okay then, we'll wait and see what happens in FA..".

He should have the upper hand because everyone in the league knows Paul wants NY.

Even in that case a sign and trade with NO would be our only option. I can almost guarantee that we wont have the cap room straight up to sign Paul in FA. I was trying to get a scenario where we might be able to have our cake and eat it too. But LJ is being a lil girl and getting all pissed because this thread involves CP3. If it was about a center he would be all for it. Its a Bball forum and we can all speculate and dream if we want to. :boohoo:

Yes it does, and I don't even think the Nuggets played us to be honest.. We were going to replace Felton with CP3 anyways and Billups has a bigger contract so it can be more useful if a trade goes down, Chandler was gone at the end of the season anyways, so we basically traded Melo for Gallo how is that getting played? I think we can sign Cp3 in free agency especially with a lot of our players contracts expiring in 2012.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Even in that case a sign and trade with NO would be our only option. I can almost guarantee that we wont have the cap room straight up to sign Paul in FA. I was trying to get a scenario where we might be able to have our cake and eat it too. But LJ is being a lil girl and getting all pissed because this thread involves CP3. If it was about a center he would be all for it. Its a Bball forum and we can all speculate and dream if we want to. :boohoo:

Idk, I'd hate to think signing Paul in FA isn't possible. I mean, if we signed him for what Billups + Balkman + Turiaf make that'd be, what... bout 19 million. That's not that much less than what Melo and Amare are making.

LJ4ptplay

Starter

I would love to get CP3. I wanted him over Melo. I'm just being realistic. Sorry if that bothers you. You think a decent vet will accept the full MLE for 1 year, and Fields is enough of a talent for CP3. I don't. No need to be insulting.

JazRedGT

Benchwarmer
Idk, I'd hate to think it's not possible. I mean, if we signed him for what Billups + Balkman + Turiaf make that'd be, what... bout 19 million. That's not that much less than what Melo and Amare are making.

If the cap goes down and Amare and Melo's $$$ goes up 10% each year. We will not be able to dole out 20mil for Paul.