Can we kill 2 birds w/ one stone?

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Trill, you are not one of the blind fans I was referring to. There are many posters that don't like my message. I get the impression the only negative thing permitted on this site is about D'Antoni. There has been a hive mentality that has taken over this site.

To clarfiy a couple things:

We do not have any picks to trade until 2016.

All of our expiring contracts would need to be used to make CP3's salary match what we give them.

Our expiring contracts are of no value to New Orleans. They are however valuable to other teams/players, hence why I have suggested we forget CP3 and use them to build a solid team around Melo and Amare.

I don't believe I am faulting Melo unfairly. I believe you are giving him too much of a pass for what he did, which to me, seems obvious.

Why are our expiring contracts of no value to NO?

Marek

Benchwarmer
I have little to say that LJ4ptPlay has not already said. He has his facts straight and is applying them rationally.

+1

Also, LJ4ptPlay is working under the current CBA rules, which is pretty much moot. Personally, I believe the next CBA will be more restrictive on NY's cap space, more favorable to teams keeping their stars, and just generally less conducive to NY's attempts to create a Big 3 in NY.

I won't rule it out the possibility of getting CP3, because Donnie Walsh has proven to be a magician in NY. But I agree that any foreseeable scenario that would land CP3 in NY is farfetched, and building a solid team with depth around Amare & Melo is a smarter route.

Marek

Benchwarmer
Aren't there already financial incentives for players to stay w their current teams? Seems to me that star caliber players are more concerned w being on a contending team than staying w a team that can pay for them to stay in a bad situation w re: to winning a chip.

The only incentives right now are that the current team can offer 6 years and slightly more money (other teams are limited to 5 years and I think a bit less money per year).

They're looking to increase the gap in incentives favoring the player's current team a lot more in the next CBA.

Kiyaman

Legend
Have Dolan buy the NO Hornets from NBA Stern.....
before Stern add a BIG-6 of outstanding Role-Players for CP3
to go to the WCF...

MusketeerX

Rotation player
We don't need another superstar. Let's stop getting greedy. The Bulls pounced on the Heat last night with Derrek Rose and a bunch of guys that play DEFENSE.

Lets get some good hybrid players, a real center, and an actual head coach that knows both facets of the game...

CP3 is amazing, but we need a team before we need a player.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Why are our expiring contracts of no value to NO?

If NO is losing CP3 in 2012, how is a contract that ends in 2012 have value to them? For example, Denver was losing Melo, Curry's expiring contract was of no value to them because they were losing Melo and his salary anyway. Curry's contract was just used to make the salaries match without Denver having to take on any more salary. In fact, we had to give Minnesota Anthony Randolph so they would absorb Curry's salary.

Expiring contracts can be very valuable assets. But only to teams that have a player with a large/long contract that they do not wish to keep any longer. As pointed out previously in this thread, Emeka Okafur's contract is possibly something NO would want to get rid of if they decide to go into full rebuild mode and have cap space for the following summer.

The problem is that all of our players under contract, including the expiring contracts, do not add up to both CP3's and Okafur's salaries. They need to match in order to complete the trade. This is including trading everybody on our roster except Melo and Amare.

Even if the salaries matched by somehow signing a vet to a full MLE deal that only lasted 1 year (I seriously doubt any decent player would go for this), league rules would not allow us to trade so many players and only receive 2 players in return, leaving us with a 4 man roster in mid-season (CP3, Melo, Amare and Okafur...with nobody else).

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
If NO is losing CP3 in 2012, how is a contract that ends in 2012 have value to them? For example, Denver was losing Melo, Curry's expiring contract was of no value to them because they were losing Melo and his salary anyway. Curry's contract was just used to make the salaries match without Denver having to take on any more salary. In fact, we had to give Minnesota Anthony Randolph so they would absorb Curry's salary.

Expiring contracts can be very valuable assets. But only to teams that have a player with a large/long contract that they do not wish to keep any longer. As pointed out previously in this thread, Emeka Okafur's contract is possibly something NO would want to get rid of if they decide to go into full rebuild mode and have cap space for the following summer.

The problem is that all of our players under contract, including the expiring contracts, do not add up to both CP3's and Okafur's salaries. They need to match in order to complete the trade. This is including trading everybody on our roster except Melo and Amare.

Even if the salaries matched by somehow signing a vet to a full MLE deal that only lasted 1 year (I seriously doubt any decent player would go for this), league rules would not allow us to trade so many players and only receive 2 players in return, leaving us with a 4 man roster in mid-season (CP3, Melo, Amare and Okafur...with nobody else).

You've painted a very bleak picture here LJ.

BUT, i think you've started to effectively sway me to the side of adding needed pieces.

I'll make a final judgment after there's an agreement between the players and owners.

Kiyaman

Legend
This is incorrect. You are assuming we are at or below the cap limit. We are above the cap right now with only 8 players on the roster. Also, Amare and Melo's salaries increase each year. Also, you are not taking into account the minimum roster cap hold.

It's not a 1:1 ratio. The Lakers could have $20 mil coming off their books and still be over the cap. Just because we have $19 mil coming off the books does not mean we have $19 mil in cap space.

We will have approx $44 mil in total team salary in 2012 with ONLY 2 PLAYERYS ON THE ROSTER ($19.45 + $19.95 + $4.75 = $44.15). This is including NOT picking up Douglas' option and somehow trading Balkman for an expiring contract.

The salary cap this year was $58 mil. If the cap stays the same we will have only $14 mil in cap space with just Melo and Amare on the roster. That's $14 mil for CP3 and the rest on minimum salary D-Leage level scrubs at $475,000 per year.

If we keep Douglas and are unable to trade Balkman, we will have approx $47 mil in team salary leaving us with only $11 mil in cap space.

This, ofcourse, is under the assumption the cap will remain the same, which it won't. Some reports say the cap will lower, others say it will rise. There are also some rumors of a hard cap to $70 mil. Which may help us in the short run but is hard for me to believe will help us in the long run.

Hard to predict at this point. The cap rose $1mil (from $57 mil to $58 mil) last year.

I'm sorry to keep bringing up these facts. Everybody doesn't seem to like it and bashes me for bringing up the ugly truth. The numbers don't lie. If everybody would rather not hear the truth, you have the option of blocking my posts or just not reading them.

Why is so many people still on keeping the cap low for a dream?
CP3/or D.Howard?
We have to start paying LUXURY to stay competitive in the EC?
is it because we dont have any future draft picks?
or is it b/c the Knicks dont have one decent developing-coach
on its coaching-staff? so fresh future players are not needed.

For the Knicks to beat Bulls or Heat in a playoff series our cap will
have to be above $65M by 2012 playoffs.
For Heat to become a 3-repeat championship dynasty their cap will
be above $75M.

This is why I wasnt thrilled by Donnie Walsh so-call "2010-Plan"....
it wasnt going to work under Wash foolish guidance (Riley yes).
Walsh didnt have that intelligence in Indiana Pacers, plus wisdom
dont grow over night.

If Walsh wouldve pulled off getting two-max players signed, plus
resigning David Lee in the 2010 offseason, then I wouldve been all
wrong about Walsh vision of genius to make the Knicks into top contenders.
Resigning valuable hard work ethic players like Lee, Chandler, Gallo,
while having two max players on the roster wouldve gave us decent
bargaining chips to trade or ST

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
BTW, LJ or Oldtimer do either of you know if players can restructure their contracts and if so how that effects the cap? I hear people state that maybe STAT and Melo will restructure their contracts in order to make room for another star. Is this possible? Thanks.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
I'll take a 75 mil hard cap please!

That would work. As long as it is $75 mil. I've heard much lower estimates as well. Hard to believe as New York sports fans that we would be rooting for a hard cap.

And I'm not sold that it wouldn't hurt us in the long run. We'll see.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
BTW, LJ or Oldtimer do either of you know if players can restructure their contracts and if so how that effects the cap? I hear people state that maybe STAT and Melo will restructure their contracts in order to make room for another star. Is this possible? Thanks.

No. Restructuring deals can not be done in the NBA (under current CBA rules). Not until they become restricted free agents.

So we can't change Amare's contract? Won't the new CBA allow teams to take off huge contracts like Gilbert Arenas? It has happened before. If that happens can't we kick Amare off the team and resign him for a cheaper contract?

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Original proposal by owners was a $45 Mil hard cap. Wow.

Jim Dolan is for a soft cap, like the current CBA. No surprise there, being in the biggest market in the world and selling out every night regardless of how crappy the team is. The owners in smaller markets are the ones that want a small hard cap. Hard to tell what will happen, particularly when the majority of franchises are losing money.

I could see many scenarios coming to fruition, even the possibility of the new CBA being very similar to the current CBA but with less binding contracts and the ability to release players that do not perform (e.g. Eddy Curry) and players able to leave when they want or renegotiate their contracts but with much greater incentives for the players to stay with their current teams.

We'll see. Should be another eventful offseason.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
I'll take a 75 mil hard cap please!

That would work. As long as it is $75 mil. I've heard much lower estimates as well. Hard to believe as New York sports fans that we would be rooting for a hard cap.

And I'm not sold that it wouldn't hurt us in the long run. We'll see.

Original proposal by owners was a $45 Mil hard cap. Wow.

That's right!

The NBA?s initial proposal for a new collective-bargaining deal called for a $45 million per team hard salary cap along with non-guaranteed player contracts and significant cuts in annual salary increases.

The details, spelled out in an April 26 memo issued by National Basketball Players Association Executive Director Billy Hunter, marks the league?s push for a major overhaul of the NBA?s economic model and emphasizes to players an aggressive bid to significantly slash costs and shorten contracts.

The memo was sent to all NBA players and was dated just days prior to the league delivering to the union a new labor proposal, which a source said still included the $45 million hard cap but added a phase-in of the cap over a few years. Union president Derek Fisher publicly dismissed the latest proposal as too similar to the original proposal.

david_stern_magic.jpg

The memo?s most eye-popping element is the league?s proposed $45 million hard cap, which cuts the current $58 million soft cap by nearly 25 percent.

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/213726/Report_Owners_Initially_Asked_For_$45_Million_Hard_Cap#ixzz1MZ8LEHpF