Chauncey is still not 100%..

Chauncey Billups to have another MRI

By Jared Zwerling
Special to ESPNNewYork.com
Archive

It's been exactly one month and a day since Chauncey Billups strained his left knee in Game 1 of the New York Knicks' first-round series against the Celtics, but he's still not feeling 100 percent.
"I can't get on the court and really like grind, grind," said Billups, whose injury came while driving to the lane with less than a minute remaining in the fourth quarter, and the score tied at 82. "I'm still not ready to do that, but I'm getting better though. At this point, I'm just kind of taking it easy, man."

Billups said he will be flying to New York in the next couple of weeks to have another MRI to make sure everything is healing properly. In the meantime, Mr. Big Shot is currently in Las Vegas for a few days assisting his trainer, Joe Abunassar, with working out several of the top guard prospects in the upcoming NBA draft, including Kawhi Leonard, Alec Burks, Josh Selby and Malcolm Lee.
The labor negotiations between the owners and players are the last thing on Billups' mind.
"I'm going to let this process evolve however it will, and hope for the best," he said. "I'm not thinking about the lockout and I'm not thinking about if I'm going to play overseas or any of that kind of stuff. I'm just happy to be home [in Colorado], spending time with my family and enjoying the summer."
Billups is also happy to be back with the Knicks. On April 28, the team decided not to buy out his contract and picked up his $14.2 million option for the 2011-12 season.
"I'm just excited to be coming back and hopefully our team evolves into a championship-caliber team, depending on what other moves we make," Billups said. "I feel like we took a big step this year and upgraded the talent on the team. We have to start getting the proper pieces around and everybody locking in for a great cause."
The Knicks have the 17th pick in next month's draft, and one of those point guards Billups has been mentoring could be considered as his potential backup.
Jared Zwerling is a senior researcher for ESPN The Magazine and a regular contributor to ESPN
http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nba/news/story?id=6564185

Still a good 4 months before BBall activities resume so I'm not sweating it.. But damn I guess that injury was serious business lol.

ducktales17

Benchwarmer
http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nba/news/story?id=6564185

Still a good 4 months before BBall activities resume so I'm not sweating it.. But damn I guess that injury was serious business lol.

Maybe

Or maybe he's still just bitching on it and trying to back up his actions.

Him and Stat. ESPECIALLY Stat. His phantom back injury that wasn't evident at all when he played.

Kobe plays through both those injuries without complaining. Just saying.

You all can move on from that. I don't forget anything. Again, I need to see toughness and max effort from both players next year before they're on my good side.

Last edited:

Wargames

Starter
Hey at least the knicks are getting a expert look at Kawhi Leonard, Alec Burks, Josh Selby and Malcolm Lee. Who better to decide if any of them would be a good back up than the guy they will be backing up?

I think he sucks. Taking way too many 3s, shooting when he should pass, not as good a defender as we thought, can't run the pick and roll with STAT, not enough assists in general, always injured.

Honestly why on earth did we sign a washed up has been PG for $14,2 million????

I'd rather take a guy like Ridnour for a year, until CP3, D-Will or Westbrook are available!

Billups on a minimum contract - ok
Billups at $14,2 million - insane!

MSGhobo247

Rotation player
Did I miss something?

Overseas?

and idk what ducktales is talking about with Amar'e "phantom" back injury. It was pretty obvious his explosiveness was hampered a great deal.

KBlack25

Starter
I think he sucks. Taking way too many 3s, shooting when he should pass, not as good a defender as we thought, can't run the pick and roll with STAT, not enough assists in general, always injured.

Honestly why on earth did we sign a washed up has been PG for $14,2 million????

I'd rather take a guy like Ridnour for a year, until CP3, D-Will or Westbrook are available!

Billups on a minimum contract - ok
Billups at $14,2 million - insane!

My goodness - it surprises me how people continue not to understand the finances behind this move.

Losing Billups would not have cleared enough room under the cap to make a play at Ridnour or many other PGs of note, and certainly we wouldn't have the room to make a play at CP3, Deron or Westbrook. Billups at 14.2 million is almost entirely OVER the cap...which is why we kept him. If releasing Billups got us 14.2 million to SPEND we would have released him. But that's not what would have happened. We would have no Billups AND no cap room.

Picking up Billups gives us now a 14.2 mil expiring deal for a known player that can be moved as the major piece in ACQUIRING a big time player like CP3.

My goodness - it surprises me how people continue not to understand the finances behind this move.

Losing Billups would not have cleared enough room under the cap to make a play at Ridnour or many other PGs of note, and certainly we wouldn't have the room to make a play at CP3, Deron or Westbrook. Billups at 14.2 million is almost entirely OVER the cap...which is why we kept him. If releasing Billups got us 14.2 million to SPEND we would have released him. But that's not what would have happened. We would have no Billups AND no cap room.

Picking up Billups gives us now a 14.2 mil expiring deal for a known player that can be moved as the major piece in ACQUIRING a big time player like CP3.
This.

Thank you.

So you think New Orleans would take on his contract and then buy him out? I'm 100% sure he wouldn't play for another team if we trade him, either retire instantly or play one last time for his Nuggets.

What value do we have for New Orleans? Fields? Walker? Douglas? Picks in the region of 20th and later? You think that's enough to get Chris Paul? Fields, Douglas, Walker and 2 picks in the last third of the first round? I really doubt that.

KBlack25

Starter
So you think New Orleans would take on his contract and then buy him out? I'm 100% sure he wouldn't play for another team if we trade him, either retire instantly or play one last time for his Nuggets.

What value do we have for New Orleans? Fields? Walker? Douglas? Picks in the region of 20th and later? You think that's enough to get Chris Paul? Fields, Douglas, Walker and 2 picks in the last third of the first round? I really doubt that.

Let's do it your way then...
Let's not pick up Chauncey Billups, with the $6 million or so we get in cap room offer it to CP3...CP3 definitely will sign here for $6 million!

New Orleans would take on his contract and not HAVE to buy him out because his $14 million comes off the books at the end of the season, so they get him for the season, sell a few jerseys and get a huge tax break to get under the cap and regain flexibility once Billups comes off the books in April.

This was the only feasible way it would work...the alternative was having NO Billups AND no cap space, as opposed to having Billups, his $14 mil expiring contract as trade bait/tax break, and no cap space I don't really see how you can argue that not picking him up was at all a better move, it makes no sense in any way, shape or form.

Kiyaman

Legend
Chuancy Billups is the "HEART" of the Knicks future success.....
Billups is a better coach than Mike/Herb/and Dan put together.
It does not matter if Billups only play 20 minutes of playingtime
as long as the Knicks are a .600 record team.
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
When the Knicks got Billups in the trade it didnt look good for
Dantoni's career in New York.
Its obvious as purple-paint on a wall, Billups n Dantoni is water vs oil.
Billups is not crazy about a BUM coach getting all the credit for
his hardwork in getting teammates to be on the same-page for 48 min.
New York media is going wild about the Knicks need to select a
PG in the draft with their 17th pick.
Long time ole-Knick-Fans want two big-body rebounders out of
this draft so Amare & Melo can concentrate on scoring.
Plus these ole-fans see a long offseason cap-lockout and a short
regular season, which is great for the Knicks month long training-camp
with one of the top leadership player/coaches calling all the shots
in Mr. Big Shot Chuancy Billups.

Chauncy Billups represents a more servicable component than tracy mcgrady

For example

Chauncy is our high priced veteran player, with a contract that is either a trade piece or coming off the books end of the year.

I would worry about anything other than the fact we wouldnt have anyyyyy true pg going into this year if we let him go.

he was the best option and Walsh made the right decision to be competitive this year.

Red

TYPE-A

The first part I agree with, its obvious why CB was retained for one year.

But the 2nd part really has me shaking my head. Why do you and others INSIST ON constantly fantasizing about CP3? Why?

Are you brainwashed? Seriously, what are you thinking?

Here's my logical view on why clammoring for CP3 NOW is almost insane.

1. While I know it's feasible to afford CP3 IF we project the circumstances fall our way correctly that being a) the new cba b) CP3 does a Melo and forces his way with the "I won't sign an extension" thing

BUT RECALL, once a team gets wind of the we want him, he wants us, scenario... THEY WILL ASK FOR MANY PIECES that at this or that future point we can't afford. Why?

Just look at the Melo situation, 1 step back, 2 forward, in terms of having t sacrifice depth. Thus, acquiring CP3 via trade will not help us

OR

2. Without a valid big man and depth, I don't care what PG we acquire, it could be ****ing Derrick Rose and a Russell Westbrook Hybrid... WE WON'T WIN

Therefore given the fact the "serviceable" bigs USUALLY cost at least $4million plus, and given the fact that the demands of our projected Center include one that Rebounds, plays defense, is young, and can score more reliably than Jarred Jeffries WITH SIZE (> 6'10")

How is that even a possbility?

3. After coveting a certain player for 2+ years and failing, seeing a plan can go awry very quickly, considering the projected cost and necessity of not only a Center but bench depth, and finally considering the TWO max scorng options we have and how they performed WITH A less-than-skilled-as-CP3 guard...

WHY THE F*CK ARE YOU and others seriously and vehemently pushing For CP3.

Ok you're a fan I get that. Ok IF he somehow falls in our lap- yep I get that too... but you just expressed a basic working knowledge of NBA roster finances...

Why the contrary proposal to visit that again? Why? Do you want to win a chip or fill an arena, because that plan sounds like the latter.

Please explain.

Last edited:

KBlack25

Starter
The first part I agree with, its obvious why CB was retained for one year.

But the 2nd part really has me shaking my head. Why do you and others INSIST ON constantly fantasizing about CP3? Why?

Are you brainwashed? Seriously, what are you thinking?

Here's my logical view on why clammoring for CP3 NOW is almost insane.

1. While I know it's feasible to afford CP3 IF we project the circumstances fall our way correctly that being a) the new cba b) CP3 does a Melo and forces his way with the "I won't sign an extension" thing

BUT RECALL, once a team gets wind of the we want him, he wants us, scenario... THEY WILL ASK FOR MANY PIECES that at this or that future point we can't afford. Why?

Just look at the Melo situation, 1 step back, 2 forward, in terms of having t sacrifice depth. Thus, acquiring CP3 via trade will not help us

OR

2. Without a valid big man and depth, I don't care what PG we acquire, it could be ****ing Derrick Rose and a Russell Westbrook Hybrid... WE WON'T WIN

Therefore given the fact the "serviceable" bigs USUALLY cost at least $4million plus, and given the fact that the demands of our projected Center include one that Rebounds, plays defense, is young, and can score more reliably than Jarred Jeffries WITH SIZE (> 6'10")

How is that even a possbility?

3. After coveting a certain player for 2+ years and failing, seeing a plan can go awry very quickly, considering the projected cost and necessity of not only a Center but bench depth, and finally considering the TWO max scorng options we have and how they performed WITH A less-than-skilled-as-CP3 guard...

WHY THE F*CK ARE YOU and others seriously and vehemently pushing For CP3.

Ok you're a fan I get that. Ok IF he somehow falls in our lap- yep I get that too... but you just expressed a basic working knowledge of NBA roster finances...

Why the contrary proposal to visit that again? Why? Do you want to win a chip or fill an arena, because that plan sounds like the latter.

Please explain.

Why are YOU so angry?

I agree we still need size and rebounding - but the goal (I believe) is to either get another star or acquire depth. The only way we could do it is to have a big-time expiring deal to pair with other pieces of talent. That is the only way we can get players without hoping and praying one falls into our laps...

I'm not clamoring for CP3 - I said we could use Billups to acquire another star LIKE CP3...and I believe that is the plan. We can shop Billups $14 mil expiring to teams looking to cut salary and get some tax breaks. If nothing comes, nothing comes...but at least we will be in the market with even a tiny percent possibility as opposed to having no chance (which is the case if we don't pick Billups up).

Red

TYPE-A
Why are YOU so angry?

I agree we still need size and rebounding - but the goal (I believe) is to either get another star or acquire depth. The only way we could do it is to have a big-time expiring deal to pair with other pieces of talent. That is the only way we can get players without hoping and praying one falls into our laps...

I'm not clamoring for CP3 - I said we could use Billups to acquire another star LIKE CP3...and I believe that is the plan. We can shop Billups $14 mil expiring to teams looking to cut salary and get some tax breaks. If nothing comes, nothing comes...but at least we will be in the market with even a tiny percent possibility as opposed to having no chance (which is the case if we don't pick Billups up).

Not angry at all, just saying, you and others keep with this CP3 stuff.

I would like an explanation as to how is acquiring CP3, bench depth, and a starting center possible? More so, how is it even feasible?

And what I mean is how can we get a starting big, a bench and him? How can anyone who assumes this is possible be taken seriously? Let alone one who thinks he is the key to a championship?

I'm sure he is talented, just as I'm sure we are in no position to even consider him realistically. Unless we want to field an expensive, entertaining, ouster. Because how are we going to have him + stat and melo? By surrounding them with garbage? How is that a formula for winning? Knowing how disgusting our defense is.

MIA has no depth, no bigs. Haslem is a PF who really is a bench player, on a team with stars who left a little room money wise. And they still need more. And even if they win have 2 hof'rs who play d, and we don't. They will be our direct competition to sign free agents, is that our model?

The best way to combat them and CHI can't be with a star PG, stat and Melo and no size or bench.

Please explain the feasibility of acquiring what we need? Or admit you'd rather be entertained and have the wish of a star PG be answered knowing we can't compete deep and you're cool with that.

Bigs are in demand and are expensive. Are you thinking a minmum contract Jared Jeffries type can work with a CP3 & co.?

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Not angry at all, just saying, you and others keep with this CP3 stuff.

I would like an explanation as to how is acquiring CP3, bench depth, and a starting center possible? More so, how is it even feasible?

And what I mean is how can we get a starting big, a bench and him? How can anyone who assumes this is possible be taken seriously? Let alone one who thinks he is the key to a championship?

I'm sure he is talented, just as I'm sure we are in no position to even consider him realistically. Unless we want to field an expensive, entertaining, ouster. Because how are we going to have him + stat and melo? By surrounding them with garbage? How is that a formula for winning? Knowing how disgusting our defense is.

MIA has no depth, no bigs. Haslem is a PF who really is a bench player, on a team with stars who left a little room money wise. And they still need more. And even if they win have 2 hof'rs who play d, and we don't. They will be our direct competition to sign free agents, is that our model?

The best way to combat them and CHI can't be with a star PG, stat and Melo and no size or bench.

Please explain the feasibility of acquiring what we need? Or admit you'd rather be entertained and have the wish of a star PG be answered knowing we can't compete deep and you're cool with that.

Bigs are in demand and are expensive. Are you thinking a minmum contract Jared Jeffries type can work with a CP3 & co.?
I think the want for him has a lot more to do with being entertained by him and because he seems likely to fit with D'Antoni's style.

If adding a third max was so important, then at least hope for Howard.

The thing I don't get is, people keep mentioning CP3 plus some rookie center or whatever is gonna do the trick. They're hyping up these unproven centers just to convince themselves they'd fulfill our bad defense in the paint.

And people think CP3 is on the team already for some reason.

Last edited: