Jimmer working out for the Knicks tomorrow

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
GREENBURGH, N.Y. -- Jimmer Fredette shrugged after making 19 of 25 shots from the NBA three-point arc in his predraft workout for the Knicks Thursday at the MSG Training Center.

"I think they expect me to shoot the ball well," he said.

There are plenty of expectations for the BYU star, who was the college Player of the Year this past season. And one of them is that he won't be available for the Knicks, who have the 17th overall pick in the NBA draft. But according to a person with knowledge of the situation, the Knicks are looking for a deal that will help them move up in the draft to land the sharpshooter from upstate Glens Falls.

The issue, of course, is the team's lack of assets to offer in a trade, which, right now, would be to offer either Toney Douglas or Landry Fields along with their pick.

Fredette has made no secret of his affinity for the Knicks, but like Stephen Curry in 2009, he is aware that his chances of landing in New York are slim. "I definitely like the system, I fit in well," Fredette said, "but you never know what's going to happen in the draft."

Fredette, who averaged 28.9 points per game as a senior this past season, has Mark Price-like potential as a point guard, but the major concern rests on the defensive end of the floor, where many scouts consider him extremely weak. Although Fredette's shooting touch and ability to run the pick-and-roll are enticing, can they really afford to add a weak defender to a team that desperately needs to improve in that area?

It might not matter, because Fredette could wind up with Utah (picks at No. 3 and 12), Sacramento (No. 7), Phoenix (No. 13) or Indiana (No. 15). And the Knicks might be content with selecting another long-range shooter, Washington State's Klay Thompson.

Thompson also worked out for the Knicks Thursday and made 20 of 25 in that three-point shooting drill. The 6-6 guard, who shot 39.8 percent from three-point range in college, said he could provide the same outside presence for Carmelo Anthony and Amar'e Stoudemire that Mike Miller does for Miami's Big Three.

"I don't think you can leave me open that much," he said, "so with all the attention drawn to them, I'd be left open a lot and provide a great scoring touch."

The Dolan family owns controlling interests in the Knicks, MSG and Cablevision. Cablevision owns Newsday.

Source

I'm so sick of hearing about our system. It is faeces.

This would be a terrible selection for us, unless Rimmer is traded on draft night for someone who has even a third more defensive potency than he does, as well as a knock down perimeter game.

I seriously doubt that he'll be available at 17 anyway, but if we were to trade Landry to move up in the draft and selected Friggette, I'd be livid.

We know what our future depends on, and it's not a shoot first, pass second defenceless PG. Regardless of immeasurable range.

Klay Thompson would be an even more pointless addition, IMO.

Go big, or go **** yourself.

Rude.

moneyg

Starter
I am not the biggest fan of the Jimmer but if he falls to 17, it's a good pickup for the Knicks imo. He fits D'Antoni's system to a T.

D'Ants had a ton of guys like the Jimmer in Phx, knock down 3 pt shooters that allowed the team to score 130 points a night. We might never beat the Heat with a team like that but they would be fun to watch.

im glad you want to settle on our team being just fun to watch...SMFH

Crazy⑧s;180426 said:
GREENBURGH, N.Y. -- Jimmer Fredette shrugged after making 19 of 25 shots from the NBA three-point arc in his predraft workout for the Knicks Thursday at the MSG Training Center.

"I think they expect me to shoot the ball well," he said.

There are plenty of expectations for the BYU star, who was the college Player of the Year this past season. And one of them is that he won't be available for the Knicks, who have the 17th overall pick in the NBA draft. But according to a person with knowledge of the situation, the Knicks are looking for a deal that will help them move up in the draft to land the sharpshooter from upstate Glens Falls.

The issue, of course, is the team's lack of assets to offer in a trade, which, right now, would be to offer either Toney Douglas or Landry Fields along with their pick.

Fredette has made no secret of his affinity for the Knicks, but like Stephen Curry in 2009, he is aware that his chances of landing in New York are slim. "I definitely like the system, I fit in well," Fredette said, "but you never know what's going to happen in the draft."

Fredette, who averaged 28.9 points per game as a senior this past season, has Mark Price-like potential as a point guard, but the major concern rests on the defensive end of the floor, where many scouts consider him extremely weak. Although Fredette's shooting touch and ability to run the pick-and-roll are enticing, can they really afford to add a weak defender to a team that desperately needs to improve in that area?

It might not matter, because Fredette could wind up with Utah (picks at No. 3 and 12), Sacramento (No. 7), Phoenix (No. 13) or Indiana (No. 15). And the Knicks might be content with selecting another long-range shooter, Washington State's Klay Thompson.

Thompson also worked out for the Knicks Thursday and made 20 of 25 in that three-point shooting drill. The 6-6 guard, who shot 39.8 percent from three-point range in college, said he could provide the same outside presence for Carmelo Anthony and Amar'e Stoudemire that Mike Miller does for Miami's Big Three.

"I don't think you can leave me open that much," he said, "so with all the attention drawn to them, I'd be left open a lot and provide a great scoring touch."

The Dolan family owns controlling interests in the Knicks, MSG and Cablevision. Cablevision owns Newsday.

Source

I'm so sick of hearing about our system. It is faeces.

This would be a terrible selection for us, unless Rimmer is traded on draft night for someone who has even a third more defensive potency than he does, as well as a knock down perimeter game.

I seriously doubt that he'll be available at 17 anyway, but if we were to trade Landry to move up in the draft and selected Friggette, I'd be livid.

We know what our future depends on, and it's not a shoot first, pass second defenceless PG. Regardless of immeasurable range.

Klay Thompson would be an even more pointless addition, IMO.

Go big, or go **** yourself.

Rude.
I would be fine with Faried or Brooks.

nyk_nyk

All Star
I am not the biggest fan of the Jimmer but if he falls to 17, it's a good pickup for the Knicks imo. He fits D'Antoni's system to a T.

D'Ants had a ton of guys like the Jimmer in Phx, knock down 3 pt shooters that allowed the team to score 130 points a night. We might never beat the Heat with a team like that but they would be fun to watch.

Dude, why are you here???? Your post is full of FAIL.

tiger0330

Legend
Dude, why are you here???? Your post is full of FAIL.

Hey, it's not my opinion it's a fact D'Antoni system relies on 3 pt shooting. Look at how many 3s the team shoots, Jimmer is a knock down 3 pt shooter and someone the Knicks are taking a look at because he fits what the Knicks do.

Look at my past posts about the Jimmer, I'm not a fan, I don't think he has the size and athletic ability to make an impact at the NBA level but the dude did make 19/25 from the Nba 3 line in his workout which is why the Knicks were interested enough in him to work him out.

It is also a weak draft and if Jimmer falls to 17, the brass may look at it as an opportunity to pick him up because he us undervalued at 17.

jpz17

Starter
Well.... If he does fall to 17th I wouldn't be horribly upset with him as our pick. Although I'd prefer a big man.. at least a PF

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Kinda like what the Giants did with Prince Amukamara in the NFL Draft...they weren't exactly in desperate need of a CB (if anything they probably needed O-Line and LB far more) but you take the best player available

Now that Donnie is gone I fully expect us to drift into nirvana once again. Dolan and D'Antoni will select the players....that means shooot shoots score. Defense? Chemistry? - NOt important according to D'Ant and Dolan.

jzero29

Rotation player
Yeah a player like Fredette is...well, just that. A decent outside shooter with a ton of game for college and no game for the NBA (ie JJ Redick, who isn't a BAD player but we could pick up a Turiaf-esque player in Kenneth Faried who would be FAR more useful to us)
jj reddick is a decent player...he's the type of free agent we could realistically get, although i dont think hes a free agent and not sure he fits, like my concerns with ferrdette, his size and defense worry me. dont think its worth drafting a dynamic scorer, when we have melo and amare. i dont think we need a turiaf type player...we need a play making pg...and an athletic defensive rebounding big man. is faried that guy?

Last edited:

jimkcchief88

All Star
No doubt Jimmer is a great shooter. My problem is that he is used to having the ball in his hands, dominating the ball actually. I don't know if he could move without the ball and catch and shoot...Knicks could use a knockdown shooter, but I think we have greater needs and Jimmer would be a liability on defense.

finestrg

Rotation player
Someone explain to me how Fredette is that much better a player over Ben Hansbrough. They're very similiar but I actually think Hansbrough's just as good if not better in every category --- just as good a shooter, just as tough, better athlete, bigger, quicker, slightly better ballhandler, better finisher, more PG tendencies..Explain to me where Fredette has the big edge on Hansbrough. I just don't see it..

To me, Hansbrough is a much better buy in the late 2nd round than Fredette is anywhere from 10-20. But that's me..The only knocks on this kid are the fact that he's a tad bit older than most in this draft class and that he severly sprained his ankle recently and was forced to sit out the Combine and probably some individual workouts (not sure where he is right now with the ankle injury -- if he is in fact working out for teams or not). I also believe he didn't attend the Portland Invitational which I'm sure raised some eyebrows...No matter. These things probably work in our favor as his stock never got a chance to climb the way it probably would have if he did attend Portland & the Combine and never got hurt..Watched him all year -- I know he's good and wouldn't mind taking a late flier on him in this draft.

My dream draft continues to be:

SG Marshon Brooks at 17
C Nikola Vucevic with a mid to late 1 we acquire using assets & cash
PG Ben Hansbrough with a 2nd rounder we acquire

I know for a fact that we could then piece together the rest and fill other holes with smart, low cost/high upside FA signings.

Last edited:

ducktales17

Benchwarmer
Someone explain to me how Fredette is that much better a player over Ben Hansbrough. They're very similiar but I actually think Hansbrough's just as good if not better in every category --- just as good a shooter, just as tough, better athlete, bigger, quicker, slightly better ballhandler, better finisher, more PG tendencies..Explain to me where Fredette has the big edge on Hansbrough. I just don't see it..

To me, Hansbrough is a much better buy in the late 2nd round than Fredette is anywhere from 10-20. But that's me..The only knocks on this kid are the fact that he's a tad bit older than most in this draft class and that he severly sprained his ankle recently and was forced to sit out the Combine and probably some individual workouts (not sure where he is right now with the ankle injury -- if he is in fact working out for teams or not). I also believe he didn't attend the Portland invitational which I'm sure raised some eyebrows...No matter. These things probably work in our favor as his stock never got a chance to climb the way it probably would have if he did attend Portland & the Combine and never got hurt..Watched him all year -- I know he's good and wouldn't mind taking a late flier on him in this draft.

My dream draft continues to be:

SG Marshon Brooks at 17
C Nikola Vucevic with a mid to late 1 we acquire using assets & cash
PG Ben Hansbrough with a 2nd rounder we acquire

I's then look to piece together the rest and fill other holes with smart, low cost/high upside FA signings.

One of the few things I disagree with you about. You like Hansbrough too much.

Fredette is a more natural scorer than Hansbrough. Sure, they're both just as good as shooters, but Fredette is MUCH MUCH MUCH better at just getting the ball up at the basket. He's good around the basket. Good finisher. He does some crazy things with his body adjustments to get up ridiculous shots. Kind of like a much less athletic Dwayne Wade lol.

Hansbrough may have better passing abilities, but he's just going to get swallowed up in the paint in the NBA. He's not a finisher at all. I honestly don't want him on our team.

Saying that, I say we pass on both of them and get a big man.

finestrg

Rotation player
My big thing Duck --- is Fredette that much better to warrant the difference in draft projection at this point -- say 10-17 for Fredette (maybe higher than that--Jimmer could very well go top 10) vs. late 50s-undrafted for Hansbrough?? Man, I don't see that at all. Look at the tape -- just a small sample here but he's every bit as talented as Fredette imho. Again, I'm not talking about taking Hansbrough at 17. I agree that would probably be reaching. I'm talking about passing on Fredette at 17, drafting another need (Brooks would be perfect there), then taking a flier on a guy very similar to Fredette in Hansbrough much later in this draft, say in the late 30s-50 range. I just pray we maximize & try to get the most bang for our buck in this draft.. Hansbrough will prove to be a lot of bang for the buck for some team, esp. the later he goes. I just hope that team is the Knicks.

Real quick while we're on Notre Dame, Tim Abromaitis is another guy I hope the Knicks have on their radar somewhere. Probably goes undrafted but I think he's got enough game to play in the NBA. 6'8", tremendous shooter with a lightning quick release plus he can put it on the floor and rebound a little too as well. This would be a nice player to invite to summer league/training camp. I hope they do so. I'd love both of these Notre Dame kids on the Knicks next year.

Last edited:

ducktales17

Benchwarmer
IDK, there's a reason why Notre Dame doesn't have good players in the NBA right now lol. Their players are kind of perfectly bread for college, but they're just going to be a little too athletically mismatched in the NBA.

I remember watching Abromitis twice against Uconn. Both times I remember just thinking...... is the only thing this guy can do is shoot 3's? I just don't see him doing much either.

Give me a guy like Jenkins in this draft. Bigger. More physical. Better defender. More of an NBA type player.

No, I'm not just saying that because he's black (even though its basically always true). He's just flat out more athletic and has more NBA potential.

Hasnbrough and Abromitis? Best days are behind them. Clearly. I do think Hansbrough can be a solid backup, but I don't want to draft looking for a solid backup.

If you think he can be a starter or a great role player then that's fine. I just don't see it.