BREAKING NEWS: Knicks announce Donnie Walsh leaving as Knicks President

Marek

Benchwarmer
no owner should give any GM final say on all decisions... would mark cuban do it... heck no....if he wanted final say.. if im the owner...i have to have the power to veto anything....

A sports owner has input on long term plans, progress, expectations, monetary issues, hirings and firings, even what players they plan to acquire and whether they fit. Of course a sports owner has a LOT of input, control and veto power.

But that doesn't mean you take over a transaction at the eleventh hour and overrule your President regarding the details of negotiations. The small stuff like that is why you have Walsh in the first place. That's where you trust your employee to do his job. If he fails, then you come down on him hard. But Dolan went in, took over, overpaid, and basically castrated Walsh.

Allegedly, of course. But that's what I'll believe because Dolan is Dolan and Walsh is Walsh.

Marek

Benchwarmer
What is this fascination with Marc Jackson? How do you know he can coach?

THANK YOU.

Dude has never coached at any level. I didn't know the job was so damn easy that some guy who's been off the court for 7 years can just step in and coach at the highest level in the world.

Enough with Mark Jackson. :rolleyes:

nyk_nyk

All Star
We'll never know the real story, but what they agreed to report is friction between the length of the contract Walsh was being offered.

Hey it is what it is. The only thing left to do is get a seasoned replacement GM and either let Dantoni go or let him coach his final year. I just hope Walsh and the scouting staff stay the course on getting us a good player in the draft, as well as a key off-season acquisition.

jimkcchief88

All Star
Mozgov was likely the only guy we keep long term out of all of those dudes we traded. Plus you have to get your core in place before you can worry about role players.

You don't install light fixtures and sinks and shit before you set the foundation and get your load bearing supports up. Gallo, Chandler, Felton, Mozgov, Curry (on the bench) means absolutely nothing if they're not actually supporting something.

If the best record Bulls, with the #1 defense, and MVP, getting handled due to lack of impactful players on the roster...if that doesn't show you that formula to be complete nonsense in the current NBA...especially when the Bulls repeated the same mistake the Cavs made the season before....then your eyes aren't opened wide enough.

The Bulls are also in a tough spot too, because their best bet to get what they need is to find a suitable trade situation for Boozer without compromising their depth...good luck with that. No one is taking on Boozer without some compensation coming along with him and his fresh contract and increasingly weakening play over the course of the season. Their cap situation gets tight next season with Noah's extension kicking in, and then they have to re-up Rose.

The Knicks are in a position to snatch up one of 3 all-star caliber players, Dwight, CP3, or Deron...you mean to tell me that not one of those guys will try to force their way to a team with STAT & Melo? All three will be content with going/staying elsewhere and not take advantage of the opportunity to form an elite team?

I'd rather be in a position where we have 2 elite players and room for a 3rd, as opposed to another team with a great player and nice players surrounding him and not winning rings. Depth is overrated if the other team is lighting you up and you, with all of your depth, can't answer the bell.

I hate Dolan for some of the dickhead shit that he's done in the past, but getting 2 of the starting 10 players in the All-star game is a success every with way.

Great post right here dead on. I swear I am soooooo tired of hearing about what we "gave up" to get Melo. Denver got chased out of the playoffs just like we did.

I wasn't the biggest Walsh fan looking at coach/draft decisions and was disapointed with Amare. But the Melo trade elevated Walsh in my eyes and I am sorry he is leaving. He got us 2 elite players and cap room for a third. We should be competative for a long time. Thanks Donnie...

la2ny

Starter
Kanye_douche_formation.gif

iJoe

Rotation player
Phil Jackson didn't have any NBA coaching experience either.... Point guard are known as the "coach on the floor..."

HAND DOWN, MAN DOWN!!!!

Phil Jackson had years and years of coaching before the NBA. He worked his ass up to where he is now.

My nickname for Mark Jackson is "Captain Obvious" when he does broadcasting. His specialty is to just repeat exactly what happens on the floor. He doesn't examine plays or talk about how things could have been drawn up differently. He just states the biggest and clearly obvious facts in as loud a voice as possible.

If he wants to coach, he should be an assistant first or work his way up from a crappy franchise. You just don't hand the reins over to a freshman coach when you have 2 established stars on your team.

Hands down, the only real good coach available is Rick Adelman. His teams always have a better record than anyone predicts and his guys play hard all the time.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Phil Jackson didn't have any NBA coaching experience either.... Point guard are known as the "coach on the floor..."

HAND DOWN, MAN DOWN!!!!

Stalker alert!!! :alert:

Damn, Im gone a few weeks and make a few posts and all my stalkers come flying out of the shadows like I'm Justin Bieber and they are 12 year old girls...SMFH.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
This really stinks. I thought he signed an extension/was nearing an extension.

If this has anything to do with D'Antoni, I'm gonna be pissed. In fact, even if it doesn't, this has just set me off to being completely done with him. I'm sick of his crap.

moneyg

Starter
You don't hire a general manager to do his job and pay him. Donnie Walsh is far from Isiah Thomas. Just proven by getting Amar'e to sign here. Isiah would of gave that pay check to the likes of Michael Beasley.

Stop putting your foot in your mouth, a GM's job is to control transactions of day to day operations of an organization. The President/Owner of the organization can veto, but only veto a decision not take over the situation and make the hired employee look like a chump. Donnie Walsh was made to look like a chump in the Melo deal. This is the main reason Walsh is stepping aside.

Donnie stated that it was his decision, and Dolan left it up to him... Donnie also stated that all owners are involved in trades of this magnitude.and its foolish for people to think that he should have...its just the media blowing this up saying isiah was controlling dolan... so take your foot out ur ass and get off fantasy island...

moneyg

Starter
A sports owner has input on long term plans, progress, expectations, monetary issues, hirings and firings, even what players they plan to acquire and whether they fit. Of course a sports owner has a LOT of input, control and veto power.

But that doesn't mean you take over a transaction at the eleventh hour and overrule your President regarding the details of negotiations. The small stuff like that is why you have Walsh in the first place. That's where you trust your employee to do his job. If he fails, then you come down on him hard. But Dolan went in, took over, overpaid, and basically castrated Walsh.

Allegedly, of course. But that's what I'll believe because Dolan is Dolan and Walsh is Walsh.

so i guess your saying walsh is lying by saying dolan gave him final say....if he is that weak.. then he should go....

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
Christ, someone please hit me a punch right in my face and tell that's just a ****ing nightmare and Walsh will resign with the Knicks...
I can't deal with this news, nearly got some tears in my eyes...

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Wow. For some reason I'm not all that shocked. Nothing surprises me anymore from this owner. Nothing.