BREAKING NEWS: Knicks announce Donnie Walsh leaving as Knicks President

STAT1

Starter
I'm not heartbroken over Donnie leaving to be honest. Let me prephase that by saying I do think he did a very good job overall, but he also had his share of bad decisions, biggest of all hiring this head coach who places no impetus on playing any defense. His draft selections were up & down, 2 good ones in Gallo & Fields, 2 bad ones in Jordan Hill & Rautins. Mozgov was nothing special & who knows what we have in Jerome Jordan but I'm not holding my breath on him being anything special either. Donnie's acquisitions of STAT & Melo are his saving grace & I give him a standing ovation him for that. Plus he always handled himself with the utmost class & professionalism, & definitely played a big role in returning some respectability to the Knicks franchise. I'm hoping his successor is someone who is established with a good track record, someone like Pritchard, Colangelo or Rod Thorn, & not some inexperienced newbie to the position handpicked by Dolan to be his puppet.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
-Dolan ran JVG out of town.
-He was putting the players through PR workshops since the '90s - Remember when Spree and Camby got up and walked out of one of those PR sessions?
-Dolan's media policy is the least fan-friendly in all of sports. Note how Larry Brown, and even Dolan's BFF Isiah, had to have a PR rep chaperoning every interaction with the media.
-When Layden was fired, Dolan refused to discuss why he was fired or discuss Layden's body of work.
-Dolan's willing to spend anything to win, yet hasn't had a winning season since 2000-01. That's bad management.
-Dolan made Walsh thank Isiah for helping sign Amare, when it was later revealed by Amare that he never even spoke to Isiah before signing.
-With the anti-Isiah sentiment obvious, Dolan tried to hire Isiah as a GM, then hired him as a consultant.
-When that was overruled by Stern, Dolan insolently said, "Well, he's still my friend and I'm still gonna seek his input!"
-It is widely accepted by just about every Knicks beat reporter I follow that Dolan jumped in on the Melo deal and screwed up Donnie's plans.

None of what I just listed has anything to do with Isiah, except the part where Dolan tried to bring Isiah back after he was fired. Which is legitimate evidence of Dolan's bad decision-making, regardless of how bad Isiah is.

Walsh may not be irreplaceable, but he did do a remarkable job here, and is the best guy available. Who will he be replaced with? The only successors I would be satisfied with are Colangelo or Warkentien. (Pritchard would be a great GM, but I'm talking Presidents)

But why put yourself in the position to have to chase those guys when you already had a top-level exec like Walsh? That is bad management on Dolan's part.
This is sounding like there's NO chance Dolan is gonna care about going after a well-rounded team and wants a third max at all costs, and not even a well-thought out reasoning like the members of this board for having one.

So many ****-ups. We have Sprewell? Hey, let's trade him! Have a good center who went on to win Defensive Player Of The Year? Trade him! Melo's destination is New York? Let's trade good players for him instead of waiting a few months!

And what? Was it his idea to trade Ewing as well?

I am totally down with anyone who wants to overthrow Dolan.

skisloper

Starter
I'm not heartbroken over Donnie leaving to be honest. Let me prephase that by saying I do think he did a very good job overall, but he also had his share of bad decisions, biggest of all hiring this head coach who places no impetus on playing any defense. His draft selections were up & down, 2 good ones in Gallo & Fields, 2 bad ones in Jordan Hill & Rautins. Mozgov was nothing special & who knows what we have in Jerome Jordan but I'm not holding my breath on him being anything special either. Donnie's acquisitions of STAT & Melo are his saving grace & I give him a standing ovation him for that. Plus he always handled himself with the utmost class & professionalism, & definitely played a big role in returning some respectability to the Knicks franchise. I'm hoping his successor is someone who is established with a good track record, someone like Pritchard, Colangelo or Rod Thorn, & not some inexperienced newbie to the position handpicked by Dolan to be his puppet.

I do not disagree with it being OK with Walsh leaving. I think he did what he set out to do but did at times have to adjust to his choice of coach.
He is a Hero in that he put the Knicks in a very competitive position to make a run at an NBA title.

What scares me is the terms in which he left. Dolan as we all know is a Moron. He has an EGO that its his way or the highway.

I mean less then a year ago he hired Isiah back only to have it rejected by Stern.

Until a new GM is announced and pending on who it is I will not be able to really assess the situation.

Yes Walsh made mistakes. But look at Carlos Boozer on the Bulls. Safe bet Bulls mgmt wished they never made that deal.

Right now I pray it is not Isiah....then I pray its someone with experience that will get players we need to win an NBA title with and not players that will perform in coach D's coaching style....as we saw with the Bulls....its offense and defense that wins game.....

Something that makes me sad for Walsh is that he wanted to name his successor. This dude truly cared about the Knicks and leaving the franchise in good hands after he left. He was really a noble professional.

We are all worse off for not having him with us anymore. Pure class, Donnie. Thanks for all you were able to do; I wish you were allowed to do more.

It sounds like who Walsh wanted to name as his successor was a major source of discord between him and Dolan. According to at least one of the articles that came out, Walsh's top choices were either Chris Mullin or Marc Jackson. Maybe this means that Dolan already knew who he wanted for the job after Walsh, or maybe it means that Dolan just likes to be a prick.

la2ny

Starter
The crazy part about this whole situation is im actually more shaken up by Shaq retiring than Donnie leaving lol

STAT1

Starter
I do not disagree with it being OK with Walsh leaving. I think he did what he set out to do but did at times have to adjust to his choice of coach.
He is a Hero in that he put the Knicks in a very competitive position to make a run at an NBA title.

What scares me is the terms in which he left. Dolan as we all know is a Moron. He has an EGO that its his way or the highway.

I mean less then a year ago he hired Isiah back only to have it rejected by Stern.

Until a new GM is announced and pending on who it is I will not be able to really assess the situation.

Yes Walsh made mistakes. But look at Carlos Boozer on the Bulls. Safe bet Bulls mgmt wished they never made that deal.

Right now I pray it is not Isiah....then I pray its someone with experience that will get players we need to win an NBA title with and not players that will perform in coach D's coaching style....as we saw with the Bulls....its offense and defense that wins game.....

I agree on all points, especially the last part about the next GM getting the types of players that we need to win a title & not just ones that will best suit this coach's style of game. I hope the next GM is wise enough to get rid of MDA & bring someone in whose philosophy involves more defensive emphasis.

Donnie did a good job for the most part but I do think this franchise can move forward with someone who will do just as good a job if not better in his place with the right hire. There are a few very good candidates out there available, but the concern here is how much Dolan's meddling will deter those top candidates from wanting to take on this role. My gut feeling is that Dolan wants Allan Houston to be groomed to take over the position, & that might have been 1 of the points of contention between him & Walsh in these negotiations. I believe Walsh wanted to hire Chris Mullin & groom him to take over someday. Personally I don't think Mullin is the right man for the job at all, so maybe it is a good thing that Walsh is leaving afterall. I don't believe Houston is ready either, I am hoping that someone with more experience & a more proven track record of putting together winning rosters can take on the role & finish the job that Donnie started.

KBlack25

Starter
From NBA Today Podcast's Ryen Russilo

Ryen Russilo said:
If you're a Knicks fan, I'm sorry. I'm sorry is all I can say to you...Dolan, who owns the Knicks, didn't really love the idea of being told by the league, 'Fix your shop'...a lot of people feel like Donnie was either placed there by the league or Dolan was told to go get a respectable guy and stop embarassing everybody with your franchise and the way it has been run...If you're a Knicks fan, Know this: your owner is so stubborn, and I'm trying to be nice here, that he would actually rather have a worse person running his franchise to prove a point...

If Donnie was making $5 million and they offered him $2 million, then it really isn't mutual is it?

What's more important? Having a good basketball product or kissing my butt?...

the only thing Donnie should be found guilty of is having a freaking plan, and executing it...let's have a plan, let's fix this roster, let's move forward. Is this team a championship roster? No. Could it be? Maybe...if I told you a year ago that this is what you have: Amare, Melo and figuring out the rest...95% of you would say sign me up for that.

I feel bad for you...I honestly cant believe that this is the deal.

skisloper

Starter
Our major issue that no matter who the GM is Dolan will get involved.
Every NBA Owner and GM knows this. Any trade that will now get made will involve Dolan because the other GM's/Owners will get him involved.
The dude is a moron with a fat ego.......He is vulnerable, which makes the Knicks vulnerable and easy prey for other NBA teams to take advantage of....

Lets face it. We could have kept Mozgov. Was it worth giving him up for Melo yes but who are we kidding Denver was making that trade with or without Mozgov.

The key is to get the better of the trade always and by alot. With Dolan we will never do that.....He is a bloated pig.

Remember when Isiah picked Balkman. The Pheonix Suns circulated a rumor they would take him so Isiah another bloated Ego nabbed him before they could.

This is not how u win...

No matter who our GM is we will still have Dolan messing it up.

p0nder

Starter
Just amazing. it really is amazing that a guy could bust his ass, call in favors, do everything in is power to get RESULTS to only be insulted and denied a job from a team that has been hungry for a good operations president for years.

In a business results is what matter. Donnie Walsh turned the team on the floor into a playoff caliber team with room for improvement. His shrewd moves and management allowed the-owner-who-shall-not-be-named to increase ticket prices by 49%. and increase revenue via marketable players and merchandise. After bringing that much success to the team to let Donnie walk is the most disgusting business and basketball move in the history of the Knicks.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Our major issue that no matter who the GM is Dolan will get involved.
Every NBA Owner and GM knows this. Any trade that will now get made will involve Dolan because the other GM's/Owners will get him involved.
The dude is a moron with a fat ego.......He is vulnerable, which makes the Knicks vulnerable and easy prey for other NBA teams to take advantage of....

Lets face it. We could have kept Mozgov. Was it worth giving him up for Melo yes but who are we kidding Denver was making that trade with or without Mozgov.

The key is to get the better of the trade always and by alot. With Dolan we will never do that.....He is a bloated pig.

Remember when Isiah picked Balkman. The Pheonix Suns circulated a rumor they would take him so Isiah another bloated Ego nabbed him before they could.

This is not how u win...

No matter who our GM is we will still have Dolan messing it up.

I agree w all of the above.

skisloper

Starter
Best move by Dolan ever Donnie wasn't on board with the Melo trade and was playing around he had to go he wasn't loyal. Now to go on and get Presti

Donnie was on board .
AGAIN Donnie believed the deal was going to get done without using Mozgov or maybe NOT using Randolph or at least one of the 2.

Right now it would be Nice to have either Mozgov as our Legit Back-up Center or Center.

Or either use Randolph or trade for a pick,,,,,

Dolan through everything into the shopping cart out of fear of losing Melo..

Fear is weakness..

STAT1

Starter
Donnie was on board .
AGAIN Donnie believed the deal was going to get done without using Mozgov or maybe NOT using Randolph or at least one of the 2.

Right now it would be Nice to have either Mozgov as our Legit Back-up Center or Center.

Or either use Randolph or trade for a pick,,,,,

Dolan through everything into the shopping cart out of fear of losing Melo..

Fear is weakness..

Melo is on record saying he really thought he was on his way to the Nets before the Knicks pulled the trigger on the trade. Dunno what would have happened or not, but I think it's unfair to assume that the deal definitely would have gotten done even if we refused to include Timo Mozgov. Any GM that fails to get a deal done for Melo because he's afraid to part with Mozgov is a damn fool if you ask me. Donnie knew he had to get the deal done, bottomline. There was too much to lose if he didn't. I too wish Dolan would have kept his nose out of it, but there's really no telling if Melo would have ended up here if he didn't. We got Melo, I'm fine with that. We didn't lose anything that impacts our franchise more than getting Melo does. The Knicks will be a better team for it, & Donnie did well to get the deal done, regardless if it took Dolan's involvement or not.