Can Chauncey Billups Get It Done for Us?

Can Chauncey get it done for us?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Red

TYPE-A
I believe Chaucey Billups is more than capable of bringing us towards the promised land.

As I have mentioned before I don't subscribe to the moniker of a guard being "pass or shoot first". Those are terms used to describe limitations when evaluating a players decisions. I also don't see the importance of evaluating his Apg in evaluating his performance- at least not as important as I evaluate his decision making ability.

Assists are a proponent of two players abilities. Obviously one passing the other hitting shots as a result. If a guard were surrounded by more accomplished shooters, his apg should theoretically be higher than without.

Chauncey has demonstrated the following abilities over his career that imo supercede apg.:

1. Lead a team to a championship
2. Finals MVP
3. Staying healthy
4. Passing in traffic
5. Passing accuracy
6. Getting the ball into the "hot" hands
7. Getting his team on the same page
8. Composure
9. Hits outside shots
10. Draws fouls
11. Hits foul shots
12. Steals
13. Rebounding

Plus more...

With all these attributes the one most important is ability to make proper decisions- those that lead to victory

Admittedly CB isn't the most athletic guard. There are many younger, faster guards in the league. But I would argue there are few with his pedigree. He is amongst the smartest
in terms of his ability to make the proper decisions.

I am fully confident in CB's ability to produce and feature our other stars Stat&Melo.

A pg like CB is unlike a young rookie in that he doesn't need constant monitoring. He thrives when having free reign. During my analysis of him after he arrived I noticed two things:

1. He saw open passes and attemted to make them when his teammates wheren't ready.

They must understand CB isn't a mechanical guard that makes the telegraphed pass. He is not predictable as we are use to seeing within our offense. They must be ready AT ALL TIMES.

2. His pull up was by virtue of interpreting MDA's offense, and knowing he has that in his arsenal.

To me there is nothing J. Kidd can or has done that our leader CB can't do.

"He was never overweight, never been overweight in his life," Abunassar said, "but I just think if you're five, seven pounds lighter ... You watch Jason Kidd play at 38 and there's no reason why every guy can't do that. There are a lot of guys at 38 who used to play who are a long way from game shape, that's for sure. It's a testament to Kidd, obviously, taking care of his body. That's the kind of focus with Chauncey. He's not 38 yet, but we're going to lighten his load a little bit and make sure that he's light on his feet."

While some will argue that Mike D'Antoni's fast-paced system may be too much for the aging Billups to handle, Abunassar disagrees. He thinks Billups' combination of basketball smarts and playing style will be a big bonus for the 'Bockers.

"There is a bit of an adjustment," Abunassar said, "but I think Chauncey's intelligence will allow him to kind of mold his style to what Mike wants. Chauncey thinks he's a great coach. The truth be known, Chauncey's strength is running the team, making the right decisions. I used to ask him all the time, 'Why do you keep throwing the ball to Rasheed [Wallace] early in the game [when they were in Detroit]?' He said, 'Look, when you get Rasheed going early in the game, he's a rhythm player.'

Chauncey understands stuff like that and I'm sure D'Antoni realizes that. Those are the things I think that Chauncey can bring to the Knicks that I don't know many guys that can. I'm sure it'll all mesh together."
espn.com

So let's not get too caught up in apg and realize the decisions are what's important. We've all seen guards like Rose be passive and we've seen them take over and become selfish when the situation dictates. All based on decisions and feel. CB's ball I.q. is far superior to the majorty and I am glad about that.

Let's focus on where our weaknesses were; Defense, rebounding, and leadership as to not continue to make the same mistakes.

CB is better than Duhon and Felton combined. And he's dedicated.

I like his savvy experience, that goes far in the playoff. I also think we can use a new defensive young pg (drafted). Billups, along with Stat and Mello can coach him up, just teach him how to find their sweet spots and to only shoot the rock when he's open.

Red

TYPE-A
Nope too old we need a smoother vet like Andre Miller, who's more durable and a real pass first guard.

Jason Kidd just helped Dallas win at 38 years old.

Derek Fisher is 36.

What does age have to do with it?

And like I said the term "pass first" means nothing compared to decision making ability. Whether that means pass or shoot.

Jason Kidd just helped Dallas win at 38 years old.

Derek Fisher is 36.

What does age have to do with it?

And like I said the term "pass first" means nothing compared to decision making ability. Whether that means pass or shoot.
They are all durable and all to play less minutes because of those teams depth, Billups doesn't have great decision making skills, he's only a career 7ast.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
yes he can aside from bumping knees with Howard he wouldve been healthy for us. this offseason to get healthy and to work on chemistry with stat and melo and he'll be hella effective for us next year i still have faith in em and i felt once he went down in the playoffs we were doomed.

Red

TYPE-A
They are all durable and all to play less minutes because of those teams depth, Billups doesn't have great decision making skills, he's only a career 7ast.

How does apg stat equate to being a great decison maker? There are a myriad of decisons needed throughout a game.

Chauncey is just as durable, depth has nothing to do with the point of can he get it done.

And again, an assist rating doesn't tell the entire story and should never be mistaken for what your eyes see. Also, how many assists would he have had during his time in DEN had Melo not been prolofic at isolations where he holds the ball?

With him in DEN he immediately made an impact- towards the WCF.

Obviously you want the best for our team, that goes without saying. But for what we have, he is not only the best compared to what we had, he can hold his own against the comp.

If Kidd and Fisher can, he can. Age and assists mean nothing compared to his entire body of work, much of isn reflected in an apg stat.

Deathstroke

Benchwarmer
He is an excellent leader, veteran, and knows how to get it done....

However he isn't the right point guard for this system, he's more of a half court point guard and he'll get easily gassed by the All-Star break in Dantoni's point guard reliant system, not to mention he gets injured a lot and he's old. The only reason Kidd and Fisher worked is because the Lake Show and Mavs are both extremely deep teams that can give them a lot of time to rest.

Chris Paul is the answer to our problems(And a center)

How does apg stat equate to being a great decison maker? There are a myriad of decisons needed throughout a game.

Chauncey is just as durable, depth has nothing to do with the point of can he get it done.

And again, an assist rating doesn't tell the entire story and should never be mistaken for what your eyes see. Also, how many assists would he have had during his time in DEN had Melo not been prolofic at isolations where he holds the ball?

Obviously you want the best for our team, that goes without saying. But for what we have, he is not only the best compared to what we had, he can hold his own against the comp.

If Kidd and Fisher can, he can. Age and assists mean nothing compared to his entire body of work, much of isn reflected in an apg stat.
Trust me we should package Billups for the best deal we can get , he won't hold up in Mike D's system, if we had another coach then maybe but Billups will continue to break down

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter

Not every 30+ year old is equal. Simply put, Kidd played injury free to Finals and Billups was hurt in 1st round.

As to decsion making...he is a 5.5 APG with 2.1 TO for his CAREER. That is barely 2:1 Assist to Turnover Ratio. That is NOT good decision making for a PG. Neither is taking 3 pointers with 21 on the clock before looking for a play. (did this with Denver too so don't blame MDA)

Billups had a stellar 2-3 years in his prime and has been mediocre for the rest of his career...FACT. His bling has kats hypnotized.

We need a PG who can get our stars the ball, play good defense and settle into a longterm rhythm with our stars so they can grow as unit much like Rondo did with Bostons Big Three. Having at most a 1 year rental to have to start all over again and build chemistry with another PG is less than ideal. That is the hand we are dealt and its out of our hands at this point but to argue this approaches anything close to ideal is delusional and wishful thinking.

Billups is a short term aging overpaid score first PG...the antithesis of what this team needs. We are not 1-2 years away from a title so having him run the point now does nothing except possibly mentor his replacement. (for that hire him as an assistant)

STAT1

Starter
Chauncey can get us to a championship, but 3 things need to happen first:

1 - we need a new coach who preaches defense as an emphasis - Billups has been the most vocal about how there needing to be a much bigger importance placed on playing defense

2 - we need a bigman in the paint that can defend the lane - STAT maybe able to step up to be that guy, but ideally he would have help in the frontcourt, someone who doesn't need to have the ball in his hands all the time & can just focus on playing defense & grabbing boards... Turiaf is not a great rebounder & he's not durable enough to be a longterm solution to our defensive needs.

3 - we need another shooter for the backcourt that can also defend his position... if Kelenna Azabuike is healthy this year he is the perfect solution, as he won't need to have any adjustment period to living in NYC since he's been here for the past year already & is already familiar w/his teammates... if he's not an option then we need to find this somewhere else... has Landry done the necessary work in the offseason to fill that void of shooting & defensive presence? if he has then he becomes another suitable option... otherwise, someone like Mario Chalmers would be a great solution, as he's proven he can hit big tough shots in pressure situations & he plays terrific defense on the ball... i also like his moxy... Toney Douglas is similar in talent but there seems to be something missing in his makeup, just doesn't strike me as being the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to making decisions w/the basketball & lacks a certain fire that i think someone like Chalmers already has... James Jones is another option on the cheap that I think could fill our void for a shooter role player off the bench.

Red

TYPE-A
Trust me we should package Billups for the best deal we can get , he won't hold up in Mike D's system, if we had another coach then maybe but Billups will continue to break down

He is an asset with that large expiring contract

Not every 30+ year old is equal. Simply put, Kidd played injury free to Finals and Billups was hurt in 1st round.

As to decsion making...he is a 5.5 APG with 2.1 TO for his CAREER. That is barely 2:1 Assist to Turnover Ratio. That is NOT good decision making for a PG. Neither is taking 3 pointers with 21 on the clock before looking for a play. (did this with Denver too so don't blame MDA)

Billups had a stellar 2-3 years in his prime and has been mediocre for the rest of his career...FACT. His bling has kats hypnotized.

We need a PG who can get our stars the ball, play good defense and settle into a longterm rhythm with our stars so they can grow as unit much like Rondo did with Bostons Big Three. Having at most a 1 year rental to have to start all over again and build chemistry with another PG is less than ideal. That is the hand we are dealt and its out of our hands at this point but to argue this approaches anything close to ideal is delusional and wishful thinking.

Billups is a short term aging overpaid score first PG...the antithesis of what this team needs. We are not 1-2 years away from a title so having him run the point now does nothing except possibly mentor his replacement. (for that hire him as an assistant)

Ok, ok...

So I asked could he get it done and you two say no. When and if he proves you wrong and we are clicking next season, please give him his props.

He's going to prove you wrong imo.

Sh*t this dude is in the gym training as we post! Watch.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
He is an asset with that large expiring contract

Ok, ok...

So I asked could he get it done and you two say no. When and if he proves you wrong and we are clicking next season, please give him his props.

He's going to prove you wrong imo.

Sh*t this dude is in the gym training as we post! Watch.

I want nothing more than for him to prove me wrong. I want the Knicks to succeed and if Billups can do that I will be ecstatic.

Blumatic

Rotation player
We need a good guard coming off the bench then. Someone athletic as well. A Jason Terry, Jamal Crawford type. Lets remember, if there is not legit guard help, Billups will log alot of minutes. He is not a penetrating guard neither. Billups mind is the valuable asset. But we need athleticism at that position.

serendipity10

Benchwarmer
The Mavericks team work and ball movement in the Finals was inspiring, and shows you don't need 3 superstars. Billups has the mentality to defend, move the ball, and hit big shots. He has the capability to get it done, and can be a great mentor to young players.
Sure the Mavericks have a better team but this is mainly because they have a roster. The Knicks team doesn't exist, and stating the obvious it takes a team to win. Billups, Melo, and Stat can get it done with a good supporting cast who understand defense and ball movement.
D'antoni will have a better team and he must rest his players with less minutes to keep the team healthy. Staying healthy away from injuries will be another battle.

smokes

Huge Member
Of course Chauncey can get it done. As long as he stays free of injury (and he is not an injury prone player).

Mike D'antoni needs to make sure he doesn't burn him out. A 34/35 year old player should not be playing more than 30 maybe 32 minutes per game on a regular basis.

We do need complimentary role players to fit around our 3 guys right now. A couple of veteran players with young legs would be nice. And another SG who can spread the floor and make the extra pass.

I really wish the NBA/players would hurry up and sign a new deal, apart from the draft which is not really very interesting this year the NBA basically died this week.

Kiyaman

Legend
Billups MVP Chapionship is the best player on the Knicks

Billups will lead the Knicks to the first step of getting to the ECF by
getting rid of a NON-Strategic coaching of the Damnphony brothers.

Billups luv defensive-strategy of all facets of the game, plus
Billups luv to have 2-strong bigmen rebounders in his lineups.
Which makes Billups philosophy of NBA B.Ball "water" to coach
Dantoni's SSOL "oil" philosophy.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I remember Tommy Dee saying something about how a player confided in him that Chauncey Billups did far more coaching from the bench in the playoffs than Mike D'Antoni did

TakMan

Rotation player
Well I voted yes. It's obvious he isn't getting any younger, however, in the short space he played for the Knicks last season there were many positives that I'm sure will only be enhanced next season.

1: Big shots

Billups and Anthony brought a mid-long range leadership that was missing from the Knicks. They are not afraid to make important shots, and are often rewarded for this confidence. These are the shots that can make or break a team's season/post-season.

2: Experience

The Knicks were lacking this big time prior to the trade. I feel it was Billups' experience that almost won the first game for us in the Playoffs. Had he remained injury free, he would more than compensate for Douglas and Fields choking during the post-season.

3: Mentoring

Since arriving to New York (some will argue before) Billups has taken Toney Douglas under his guidance. If you recall, Douglas appeared to develop more like a combo guard than a shooting guard during Billups' time in New York. We need veterans with championship level experience to demonstrate how it's done to the younger generation.

4: I just like him

I mean......Come on! It's Chauncey Billups.

Last edited:

KingCharles34

All Star
Definitely, although this might be his last year where he can help lead a team to the championship. Im hoping hes traded for CP3 in february but if not, it will depend on what the knicks can do at the 2guard and center positions.