#17 Pick Nyk - Iman Shumpert

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
In the interest of full disclosure... I was one of the posters saying we should draft Shumpert. I figured trading for a late 1st might not get the job done, for his measurables shot him from a 2nd rounder to a mid 20s selection.

I was on board IF Jimmer, Thompson, Singleton, Burks were gone.

I just don't think drafting Shumpert over Singelton makes sense.

Pick was going to boil down to Donatas Motiejunas, Kenneth Faried or Shumpert... if most mocks were correct and the top 16 projected were gone.

Motiejunas is a true D'antoni C. Better than Mozgov. Faried can rebound. Shumpert is the athlete we could hopefully mold.

I would have been fine with either of these 3. But to pass on Singleton? ODD in my book. Odd indeed.

Why?

Well, his bball intelligence and instinct aren't great. Not a great passer. Wont work the pick and roll. So he's not really a PG. He can't shoot (especially the 3) so he's not the ideal SG. So what is he?

He was a solid 3 year player for GA Tech, in the ACC. He is one of the more physically talented combo guards in this draft.

SO... can we help him him shoot better? Why not? But how long will that take. At the end of the day, he was on my list... so I'll stop making fun of him. He had a great game against UNC, and even against FLA St.

PLUS, this kid can rebound. So, he's sort of like a poor man's version of T-Evans.

Singleton is a SF(with limited potential at guarding NBA PF's) who would get next to no minutes behind Melo or Amare. Iman compliments our team better while still bringing potential elite defensive prowess.

mafra

Legend
I believe this pick was designed to acquire a player with the potential to guard Wade and Rose... after all we will probably be battling both CHI and MIA for years to come. He does not need to shoot since we have Melo and STAT and will have time to develop his jumper further. He can come in right away and provide intensity and energy on the defensive end. As I research him more and more I get less and less upset about this pick.

He will be good on the fast break, and with the help defense. He'll want to play man defense, like Douglas. It just sort of seem like he and Fields are the same player.

This leads me to believe Douglas is getting dealt for a Sessions or something.

You can't have 3 guards like Douglas, Shumpert and Fields in your rotation. You need one PG.

This kid will also rebound. He'll also create his own shot. Kick out to him and he'll drive it.

If he can learn to shoot and develop insticts (work on seeing the floor and his passing)... and if he gets the pick and roll game down... he'll be a steal.

We'll see.

Stopping Wade? I wouldn't say he is our modern day Johnny Neuman or Gerald Wilkens just yet.

platnumn

Benchwarmer
I believe this pick was designed to acquire a player with the potential to guard Wade and Rose... after all we will probably be battling both CHI and MIA for years to come. He does not need to shoot since we have Melo and STAT and will have time to develop his jumper further. He can come in right away and provide intensity and energy on the defensive end. As I research him more and more I get less and less upset about this pick.

Thank you for saying this.

This guy is getting groomed for the point guard position, and can share the backcourt with Toney D.... He's a very underrated passer and has a 6'9" wingspan !!! We are getting one of the tallest and most athletic players at that position period.

Also, you may forget that the knicks have one of the best shooting coaches in Phil Weber. DOnnie seemed to believe that this kid had great mechanics, just poor shot selection, meaning he WILL become a much better shooter than he currently is.

I think this is a great pick, and I like the logic behind it -- Knicks lost their Center of choice, and went with THEIR best available who could come in and make an impact. I thought they would have considered Donatas Motiejunas a little more closely, but they must have felt Shumpert would have been gone.

Happy and excited over here. NOW ON TO FREE AGENCY!!:peace::peace::peace:

mafra

Legend
Singleton is a SF(with limited potential at guarding NBA PF's) who would get next to no minutes behind Melo or Amare. Iman compliments our team better while still bringing potential elite defensive prowess.

Again. As a NY fan it is just a knee-jerk reax to blast our picks. Better to err on side of caution. You should be right 90 percent of the time if you do so.

Can't help it...

I do agree... Faried and Singleton make little sense, b/c we would have a small front court. BUT, this notion only floats IF we go out and sign a LEGIT starting C come free agency.

mafra

Legend
Thank you for saying this.

This guy is getting groomed for the point guard position, and can share the backcourt with Toney D.... He's a very underrated passer and has a 6'9" wingspan !!! We are getting one of the tallest and most athletic players at that position period.

Also, you may forget that the knicks have one of the best shooting coaches in Phil Weber. DOnnie seemed to believe that this kid had great mechanics, just poor shot selection, meaning he WILL become a much better shooter than he currently is.

I think this is a great pick, and I like the logic behind it -- Knicks lost their Center of choice, and went with THEIR best available who could come in and make an impact. I thought they would have considered Donatas Motiejunas a little more closely, but they must have felt Shumpert would have been gone.

Happy and excited over here. NOW ON TO FREE AGENCY!!:peace::peace::peace:

I wonder what they do if the kid from USC didn't go to PHI at 16. Do they take him?

ALSO, if he takes a while to groom, that means NO wont ask for him come next Feb when we trade for Paul.

nyk_nyk

All Star
I don't mind this Guy I watched tape on him and the skills are there he just needs to finesse them. He has the form on his J so with work it will improve and he's very athletic and runs the floor really well. He will get his points cause he's smart athletic and gets to the line he could be a very nice player for us year one and could really develop into a solid 6th man for us long run or even start as a one or two. That's what makes him great. I've been really high on this Guy for some time and so this pick is justifiable and his play will impress. Hell help on guys like Wade Allen as well as Rondo and rose and allows just to keep billups fresh by guarding slower players or whatever. I like the pick and he will be productive I like his work ethic

Agreed. I have no problem with Shumpert. The problem is that most of the posters on this board don't know enough about the kid. The Knicks worked him out and the general concensus was that his shooting was an issue but Shumpert showed that he can shoot the ball in front of Walsh and the coaches.

This kid has multiple abilities which fits in with Amare and Stat. He can handle the ball, pass, score, great leaping ability, rebound and defend. We can use him a the 1 or 2 and not lose any size. He's also very creative around the rim.

Some people shouldn't be so fast to bash the kid just because "your guy" wasn't picked. This kid is talented and does fill a need. At least wait a 1/4 into the season and see what we actually got.

FYI - I also read that he shut Jimmer down in one on one.

NBA Draft Results: Iman Shumpert Picked No. 17 By New York Knicks

Jun 23 9:15p by Jason Kirk

No player's draft stock gained more from the 2011 NBA Combine than Iman Shumpert's. As Draft Express' mock draft history chart shows, Shumpert's standing plummeted as the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets season slumped further into disarray until he was barely a second-rounder, with his NBA declaration sending him back near the first round.

But it wasn't until his impressive workouts at the late-May Combine that Shumpert really cracked the first round, which isn't exactly the most affirming sign of his pro prospects. As of Thursday evening right before the Draft, he'd risen as high as No. 17 to the New York Knicks. And now here he is, being picked No. 17 by the New York Knicks, a terrible defensive team. Nice call, Draft Express.

Shumpert is a fantastic defender, one of the best in the nation, and clearly a fantastic athlete. The biggest knock against him? Effort. The Knicks will need to make sure they get 100 percent out of him -- then again, factor in the Paul Hewitt effect however you'd like.

Though he played point guard in Atlanta, he often seemed more fit to play combo guard -- especially with very few teammates worth passing to in 2011. As a designated defensive stopper off the bench, I can see him contributing to New York's rotation right away, especially considering the pieces like Carmelo Anthony and Amare Stoudemire he'll have to work with on the other side of the ball. Spike Lee didn't sound all that pumped, but likes defense.

mafra

Legend
Agreed. I have no problem with Shumpert. The problem is that most of the posters on this board don't know enough about the kid. The Knicks worked him out and the general concensus was that his shooting was an issue but Shumpert showed that he can shoot the ball in front of Walsh and the coaches.

This kid has multiple abilities which fits in with Amare and Stat. He can handle the ball, pass, score, great leaping ability, rebound and defend. We can use him a the 1 or 2 and not lose any size. He's also very creative around the rim.

Some people shouldn't be so fast to bash the kid just because "your guy" wasn't picked. This kid is talented and does fill a need. At least wait a 1/4 into the season and see what we actually got.

FYI - I also read that he shut Jimmer down in one on one.

NBA Draft Results: Iman Shumpert Picked No. 17 By New York Knicks

Jun 23 9:15p by Jason Kirk

No player's draft stock gained more from the 2011 NBA Combine than Iman Shumpert's. As Draft Express' mock draft history chart shows, Shumpert's standing plummeted as the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets season slumped further into disarray until he was barely a second-rounder, with his NBA declaration sending him back near the first round.

But it wasn't until his impressive workouts at the late-May Combine that Shumpert really cracked the first round, which isn't exactly the most affirming sign of his pro prospects. As of Thursday evening right before the Draft, he'd risen as high as No. 17 to the New York Knicks. And now here he is, being picked No. 17 by the New York Knicks, a terrible defensive team. Nice call, Draft Express.

Shumpert is a fantastic defender, one of the best in the nation, and clearly a fantastic athlete. The biggest knock against him? Effort. The Knicks will need to make sure they get 100 percent out of him -- then again, factor in the Paul Hewitt effect however you'd like.

Though he played point guard in Atlanta, he often seemed more fit to play combo guard -- especially with very few teammates worth passing to in 2011. As a designated defensive stopper off the bench, I can see him contributing to New York's rotation right away, especially considering the pieces like Carmelo Anthony and Amare Stoudemire he'll have to work with on the other side of the ball. Spike Lee didn't sound all that pumped, but likes defense.

I hear 'ya. But we shouldn't jump to conclusions and say this kid can shoot now b/c he had a good day, making shots in a drill. This doesn't erase what he did 3 years at Ga Tech on the court.

Still, not like we had many other options.

nyk_nyk

All Star
Analyzing the NBA Combine Athletic Testing Results by: Matt Kamalsky - Director of Operations May 26, 2011

Iman Shumpert stole the show at the combine, looking like clearly the most physically gifted player in this entire draft class. To start things off, his 36.5' standing vertical leap was the highest since Nick Young posted the top mark in our entire historical database (39.5') back in 2007.

FYI - I'm not saying this kid is a sure thing, BUT he's very talented and even though I would have been just as satisfied with a few other players I'm cool with the pick because he does fill a need. You can almost never go wrong with two-way players.

Last edited:

nyk_nyk

All Star
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Shump will be a regular rotation player who'll make solid contributions next season.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Shump will be a regular rotation player who'll make solid contributions next season.

I don't think you are, We didn't need another premier scorer, we don't need anymore confusion on who will shoot the rock...Stat and Mello can take care of that. What we need is a person who can run, pass and defend. A decent role player with a hugh upside. All other options (for our needs) were exhausted...most likely they will be met in trades and FA.

Plus Billups can coach him up...more than D'Ant will.

mafra

Legend
That's what makes this pick a head scratcher to me. Shumpert is not a D'antoni player. SSOL is based on spacing and shooting.

I'm sorry... Having a few solid workouts and knocking down shots in drills does not negate 3 years of game film. Dude might have the form but it doesn't translate on the court.

Maybe a lot of that has to do with poor shot selection (coach will love that) but then that opens up another can of worms.

D'antoni has no defensive plan either, so utlitizing this kid's strength (help defense) wont matter much.

I feel coach will help him with his jump shot this year, but this pick probably means D'antoni has to adjust his offense to Carmelo-Amar'e or he is a goner.

REMEMBER, the Raiders always get in trouble b/c they place too much stock in combine numbers. AGAIN, I was high on this guy before the draft... Not like we went crazy passing on Singelton, Faried, Donatas and Brooks...

But I worry about risers. game film is what I put most emphasis on. "Weak" ACC year and Ga Tech was BAD.

Still, he fills a position of need and (like Fields) does a lot of things well. Has the body and talent, and wants to play defense and rebound.

Still, his poor decision-making (we hope that's b/c Ga Tech lacked talent) and limited range (we hope he shoots 1000 jumpers a day) will mean PINE TIME, b/c mike D. don't like kids who can't knock down the 3.

Last edited:

nyk_nyk

All Star
That's what makes this pick a head scratcher to me. Shumpert is not a D'antoni player. SSOL is based on spacing and shooting.

I'm sorry... Having a few solid workouts and knocking down shots in drills does not negate 3 years of game film. Dude might have the form but it doesn't translate on the court.

Maybe a lot of that has to do with poor shot selection (coach will love that) but then that opens up another can of worms.

D'antoni has no defensive plan either, so utlitizing this kid's strength (help defense) wont matter much.

I feel coach will help him with his jump shot this year, but this pick probably means D'antoni has to adjust his offense to Carmelo-Amar'e or he is a goner.

REMEMBER, the Raiders always get in trouble b/c they place too much stock in combine numbers. AGAIN, I was high on this guy before the draft... Not like we went crazy passing on Singelton, Faried, Donatas and Brooks...

But I worry about risers. game film is what I put most emphasis on. "Weak" ACC year and Ga Tech was BAD.

Still, he fills a position of need and (like Fields) does a lot of things well. Has the body and talent, and wants to play defense and rebound.

Still, his poor decision-making (we hope that's b/c Ga Tech lacked talent) and limited range (we hope he shoots 1000 jumpers a day) will mean PINE TIME, b/c mike D. don't like kids who can't knock down the 3.

Mike is in the last year of his contract so trust me when i tell you he will use all available options. The fans, players (Melo, Stat, CB) and mangement will not allow him to butcher things this time around. He's already agreed to the defensive asst which should tell you how desperate he is.

Marek

Benchwarmer
What ever happened to us signing a defensive assistant?

They're pursuing Lawrence Frank, but he's still trying to get a Head Coaching job. If he can't, then NY will try to convince him to come here instead of going back to be an assistant at Boston.

There were some other names out there, but I forgot. Frank is the top choice, AFAIK.

mafra

Legend
Mike is in the last year of his contract so trust me when i tell you he will use all available options. The fans, players (Melo, Stat, CB) and mangement will not allow him to butcher things this time around. He's already agreed to the defensive asst which should tell you how desperate he is.

I hear that. MD knows his reputation and future is on the line this season (if/when that is).

I just want to warn people that Iman is a frustrating player. He looks the part and even appears the part sometimes, but most often he plays what seems like beneath his skill set.

He dominates the ball like Douglas. His teams never won. He never really dominated. He looks good in shorts when he is running and jumping. SOunds like he even looked good in shooting drills, while being covered by an orange cone.

Think C-Ward offense meets T-Douglas passing ability. Ga Tech lost a lot of games and lost to some bad teams.

Good news is we don't need this kid to score. So basically he and Fields can give us the same thing... Both can play about 20-24 minutes.

It's just going to bother a lot of people, knowing how big/strong/quick he is... As he settles for clanking outside shots. He disappointed a lot of ga Tech fans... He did not bring it every game, or even each half in a given game.

He is an athlete playing basketball.

As for Harrellson.... Too small to play C. To slow (not quick at all) and not in good enough shape to play in MD's uptempo system. I would be SHOCKED if Jarts makes the team. SHOCKED.