SO! We got a defense 1st G and a Down low Banger

mafra

Legend
Dude U really need to chill and have a little faith...
Amazes me that you are so confident that these guys will not contribute to our team.
when the Knicks took Fields I am sure you said the samething...
what about David Lee ?

Just Relax....We have MLE to use for a Bigman.
We also if the Cap is what it says it is we will have 16 million to spend next season.....
we can grab Paul or two key players for 10 million and 6 million,,,,,

That can happen this season with trading Billups expiring......Lets hope this GT guard can play the point and is a quick learner....we need a healthy Billups for either our success or trade bait.

What in the name of NY's draft history gives you faith to trust in these selections? PLZ. Don't go there.

What is Landry Fields? A SG who can't score. He's not a real good defensive player either. OK, he rebounds and is more than a 2nd round zombie. He's not Manu Ginobili tho (who we passed on in 1999 for JR Koch).

Shumpert is not a PG. He's not a passer, facilitator, nor does he possess high bball IQ. He can run and jump, play help defense and rebound, and he has long arms. Passing, shooting and all those other bball skills are not up to par.

mafra

Legend
Dude U really need to chill and have a little faith...
Amazes me that you are so confident that these guys will not contribute to our team.
when the Knicks took Fields I am sure you said the samething...
what about David Lee ?

Just Relax....We have MLE to use for a Bigman.
We also if the Cap is what it says it is we will have 16 million to spend next season.....
we can grab Paul or two key players for 10 million and 6 million,,,,,

That can happen this season with trading Billups expiring......Lets hope this GT guard can play the point and is a quick learner....we need a healthy Billups for either our success or trade bait.

In the interest of full disclosure... I was one of the posters saying we should draft Shumpert. I figured trading for a late 1st might not get the job done, for his measurables shot him from a 2nd rounder to a mid 20s selection.

I was on board IF Jimmer, Thompson, Singleton, Burks were gone.

I just don't think drafting Shumpert over Singelton makes sense.

Pick was going to boil down to Donatas Motiejunas, Kenneth Faried or Shumpert... if most mocks were correct and the top 16 projected were gone.

Motiejunas is a true D'antoni C. Better than Mozgov. Faried can rebound. Shumpert is the athlete we could hopefully mold.

I would have been fine with either of these 3. But to pass on Singleton? ODD in my book. Odd indeed.

Why?

Well, his bball intelligence and instinct aren't great. Not a great passer. Wont work the pick and roll. So he's not really a PG. He can't shoot (especially the 3) so he's not the ideal SG. So what is he?

He was a solid 3 year player for GA Tech, in the ACC. He is one of the more physically talented combo guards in this draft.

SO... can we help him him shoot better? Why not? But how long will that take. At the end of the day, he was on my list... so I'll stop making fun of him. He had a great game against UNC, and even against FLA St.

PLUS, this kid can rebound. So, he's sort of like a poor man's version of T-Evans.

Marek

Benchwarmer
IT WAS OBVIOUS we just selected 2 bodies we hope can make the team, crack the rotation and play a few minutes. Neither pick we made will be on this team in 2-3 years though.

Why are you complaining that they selected two players who they "hope can make the team and play a few minutes?" Isn't that why you draft anybody? They feel Shumpert and Harellson can be solid contributors and fill needs in the rotation, as opposed to other guys who wouldn't have fit the team's needs.

Look at the 2nd round... TEAMS TAKE CHANCES, b/c... as it was said... this was a late pick. If you miss... who cares. Why bother taking a guy who wont even break camp with your team? Especially when you've traded away your first rounder the next year?

Sounds like they DID take chances. The guys they chose were apparently very unpopular. That's taking a chance. Instead, they could have gone the safe route and drafted the obvious favorites available on the board (Singleton & Shelby).

But they felt better about Shumpert, and then opted to take Harellson over Selby. They had the balls to take those chances.

I'm not sure why people are high on Chumpert? WOW. He can jump! Amazing.

There's more to it than that. Stop being childish.

And this kid from Kentucky is 6"9' without shoes. Wait until D-Howard posts him up. We wont be praising his bangerness-ability then.

If your criticism of the guy is that Dwight is better, then you wouldn't have been happy with ANYONE.

BTW, from pick 18-29? Something crazy like that... Every pick was traded. We the only team who sat around IN A WEAK DRAFT and took the "player of need."

The Knicks' only option was to buy a pick. But everyone ended up making trades, instead. Guess what...the Knicks were too thin on assets to trade. No one wanted to sell to the Knicks or trade with the Knicks because they were getting better value dealing with other teams. It's that simple. Don't you think they TRIED to acquire another pick? You really think they just sat on their asses contently?

KNICKS DO NOT HAVE a first rounder next year. You had to take a chance in this draft. We didn't.

Of course they "took a chance!" Look how many people apparently disagree with them!

mafra

Legend
I was hyping Shumpert as a possible pick for us before the draft. Singleton and Faried wouldn't make much sense, b/c that would give us too small a front court. I agree with that.

Shumpert is a ball of clay we hope to mold.

Shumpert and Harrellson or Donatas M. and Shelby. Time will tell if we chose the right path.

I should relent here... At least we took a prospect that has the physical gifts to compete and wants to play defense.

It's just that something has to give: Douglas or Fields is a goner. One of those assets will be used to bring in a player (think a C, or a Sessions).

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Damn, son...pass me some of what you're smoking.

You people are crazy with your predictions for Brooks. He has a better shot at being Nick Young than he does of being Kobe.

"Brooks might be better than Jordan," he says. Right. :lol:

Sarcasm misses you sir..

nyk_nyk

All Star
Chumpert couldn't guard Nolan Smith, who lit him up for 29 points (on 50% shooting). I wouldn't call him a defensive-stopper. He's a measuring tape guy, not a game tape prospect.

The "big" we selected was just a waste od Dolan's money. Wont even break camp with us.

IT WAS OBVIOUS we just selected 2 bodies we hope can make the team, crack the rotation and play a few minutes. Neither pick we made will be on this team in 2-3 years though.

Wow, so you take one game from Shumpert and question his defense? If that's the case, then Douglas is an absolute horrible defender based on his performance in the playoffs. (doesn't make sense does it?)

Why don't you tell us who would be on the team in 2-3 years that we should of selected oh wise one? :eek:hboy:

mafra

Legend
Wow, so you take one game from Shumpert and question his defense? If that's the case, then Douglas is an absolute horrible defender based on his performance in the playoffs. (doesn't make sense does it?)

Why don't you tell us who would be on the team in 2-3 years that we should of selected oh wise one? :eek:hboy:

Relax dude. I was talking about selecting Shumpert before the draft. Go search my posts. Who many times did you invoke Iman's name prior to last night?

I've actually seen the kid play... A bunch of times.

I worry when you pass on best player available and really reach for a prospect, especially when that players skyrockets from 2nd round pick to mid teens... based on leaping ability and combine numbers.

That's all.

Shumpert had some great games. Check out one against UNC. But his offensive IQ and shooting is not a strength... and we all know what MD thinks about those type of kids.

Still, MD signed of fon him. He better be a solid defender, but expecting him to lock down Wade? I wont hold my breath just yet.

But... it's not the end of the world. Let's hope this kid can reach his potential now that he is playing with other talented players.

He'll know his role, he'll accept that. He'll keep out of trouble and work hard. He'll rebound and play defense. Let's just hope his instincts with the ball in his hand isn't as bad as I fear, and that he'll improve his shooting (ala Felton).

He is tough and has an NBA-ready body. All good news. But we need him to be a PG, not a SG... So let's hope he learns the pick and roll at least.

skisloper

Starter
Relax dude. I was talking about selecting Shumpert before the draft. Go search my posts. Who many times did you invoke Iman's name prior to last night?

I've actually seen the kid play... A bunch of times.

I worry when you pass on best player available and really reach for a prospect, especially when that players skyrockets from 2nd round pick to mid teens... based on leaping ability and combine numbers.

That's all.

Shumpert had some great games. Check out one against UNC. But his offensive IQ and shooting is not a strength... and we all know what MD thinks about those type of kids.

Still, MD signed of fon him. He better be a solid defender, but expecting him to lock down Wade? I wont hold my breath just yet.

But... it's not the end of the world. Let's hope this kid can reach his potential now that he is playing with other talented players.

He'll know his role, he'll accept that. He'll keep out of trouble and work hard. He'll rebound and play defense. Let's just hope his instincts with the ball in his hand isn't as bad as I fear, and that he'll improve his shooting (ala Felton).

He is tough and has an NBA-ready body. All good news. But we need him to be a PG, not a SG... So let's hope he learns the pick and roll at least.

who says Dantonio even had a Vote

Marek

Benchwarmer
I'm more worried about these reports that Walsh is working on reupping Moa & his staff...

Wtf?

Smh!

Well, their contracts are up, but Mike D is still here for one more season. Walsh is just gonna retain them for next season. You can't have a head coach with no staff.

What I'm more interested in is their pursuit of Lawrence Frank to become the special defensive assistant.