Marcus Morris takes shot at Melo'

kylepicklehead

Benchwarmer
Melo takes fire from NBA draft pick

Marcus-Morris-KU.jpg

Updated: Jun 27, 2011 09:07 AM
By Alan Hahn

Marcus Morris, the 14th overall pick by the Houston Rockets, has compared himself to Carmelo Anthony -- already a bit of a stretch -- and when he was introduced to the Houston media after Thursday's NBA Draft, he acknowledged that comparison and then added this:

"But I'm not going to take after him on the defensive side."

Whenever the 2011-12 season begins, circle the first meeting with the Rockets on the calendar. But perhaps instead of just exacting personal revenge, Melo should realize that this isn't an isolated opinion about his game. Players respect Melo's ability to score, but he is lacking a star's respect when it comes to the complete game. If he cares at all about his rep, especially how younger players view him, this has to change.

To his credit, Carmelo did improve his effort, focus and determination on the defensive end when he arrived in New York, but there's a lot more work to be done before he is considered a good defender. It's one thing to get up in someone's face and hound them, but it's another to play good, solid positional defense with a strong understanding of, and committment to, the team concept.

And, of course, it helps to be in great shape.

---------------------------
Melo is going to rip this guy to shreds when the Rockets come to town.

NY17KNICKS

★Melo Mafia★
Screw the article, screw the other players,and the screw Marcus Morris.

Melo aint got to prove a god damm thing to nobody."He needs to change if he wants the younger talents to respect him" who gives a f*ck what the younger, nondeserving talents think of Carmelo. His offence is unmatchable and he can be a lock down defender when he has too. This guy got drafted to the Rockets...lol the Rockets.Have fun in bum town

KingCharles34

All Star
People are stupid he plays very good defense when he wants to, i wish he was more consistent on the defensive end myself but at the same time I cant blame him for taking nights off against average or below teams during the regular season

moneyg

Starter
if this guys become half the player melo is offensively.. he would be a steal in the draft..

talk is cheap... i want to see melo go bananas on him

tiger0330

Legend
Heres the video where he said it. Just a case of foot in the mouth if you ask me, he's a quiet soft spoken kid but Melo should school him if they get matched up when we play the Rox.

New New York

Quiet Storm
What the hell is with this Draft, you got kids being called "Lebron and Dwade Stoppers"

And this dude claiming to be Melo.....set the bar a little lower....How bout Wilson Chandler my dude! Because if you had Melo's game no way you slip to 13th or so in a weak draft!

Not to mention this is the same guy who turned down a workout with us, further making me not like him!!!!

I imagine his first NBA game will humble him some tho!!! A lot of bold statements are made in June and July

Heres my Bold statement....Melo lights this cat up for 30 or better while he nets 10 at best the first time we face off with them.

Also....is it me or does anyone else find he and his brother's relationship a little strange, I mean I get it and all, they really have gone through some tough times together, but the fact that they can actually calculate how much time apart they have spent is very odd even for a set of twins.

I just lost a lot of respect for marcus morris, you don't take a cheap shot at a like carmelo who is a great player. You shoudent even take a cheap shot at anyone if your just getting your feet wet, unless your name is jared jeffries.

kylepicklehead

Benchwarmer
During the draft I thought this was a really cool story about these Morris brothers and how they got selected back-to-back, but after this comment about Melo' I think he has changed my view of him to a bit Douchey.

You can't come out and say that about one of the league's best (If not the Best) scorers when you HAVEN'T EVEN PLAYED ONE NBA GAME. Melo played very good D when he wants to, and although he does take nights off sometimes- This Morris guy has no say in the matter when he's done absolutely nothing yet. This guy is going to get toasted when the Rocket's come for a visit.

Even in the video McHale looked at him and was like: "Wow, I can't believe you just said that." :thumbsup:

It's a shame this lame brotherly love story means absolute garbage to me now, and I will laugh when Melo drops 40 on this guy.

nyk_nyk

All Star
If Morris wanted attention for him and the Rockets, he just got it. When the season rolls around I guarantee you the media will ressurect this and milk it for all its worth. Melo will most likely torch him for 40 just for spite.

On the other hand, I do like his comments as a way to give Melo even more incentive to step his defense up. Let's be real, Melo could work a bit harder on his defense so that it's a bit more consistent. Personally I'm not fine with occassional strong defensive games. I want to see every Knick put it down EVERY game.

kylepicklehead

Benchwarmer
If Morris wanted attention for him and the Rockets, he just got it. When the season rolls around I guarantee you the media will ressurect this and milk it for all its worth. Melo will most likely torch him for 40 just for spite.

On the other hand, I do like his comments as a way to give Melo even more incentive to step his defense up. Let's be real, Melo could work a bit harder on his defense so that it's a bit more consistent. Personally I'm not fine with occassional strong defensive games. I want to see every Knick put it down EVERY game.

This here is the TRUTH

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
He must have smoked 50 blunts during this interview....... SHEESH.

I'd like to see Melo drop 60 on this kid until he cries lol

mafra

Legend
Morris says he wont take after Carmelo on the defensive end of the court? Probably true. But I highly doubt he comes close to resembling Anthony on the offensive side either. So his defense better be better, 'ya know?

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Melo's Defense

Out of the mouths of babes.

Kobe plays defense; Wade plays defense; LeBron plays defense. Melo, despite his athletic ability, has not matched the defensive intensity of these other stars. i think he is certainly capable of doing it and expect that as a matter of pride, he will do it. He should be embarrassed that a draft pick questions his defense. But does it help because he might burn Morris offensively if he remains satisfied with avoiding the same intensity on defense that he applies offensively?

The same applies to Amare'. Our progress depends on improving defensive play. It may start with the coaching but the players must execute. I recall George Karl commenting that Melo was generally a good on man defender but neglected team defense. I hope the selection of Shumpert signals a real emphasis on defense.

I am happy Morris made is comment. It should be pinned to the inside of Melo's locker.

MSGhobo247

Rotation player
Out of the mouths of babes.

Kobe plays defense; Wade plays defense; LeBron plays defense. Melo, despite his athletic ability, has not matched the defensive intensity of these other stars. i think he is certainly capable of doing it and expect that as a matter of pride, he will do it. He should be embarrassed that a draft pick questions his defense. But does it help because he might burn Morris offensively if he remains satisfied with avoiding the same intensity on defense that he applies offensively?

The same applies to Amare'. Our progress depends on improving defensive play. It may start with the coaching but the players must execute. I recall George Karl commenting that Melo was generally a good on man defender but neglected team defense. I hope the selection of Shumpert signals a real emphasis on defense.

I am happy Morris made is comment. It should be pinned to the inside of Melo's locker.

Sometimes all a team needs is for a rookie to come in and challenge the stars. Although I could be stretching what he is capable of... I have faith. Stars are suppose to set the example but it can go both ways.

Paul1355

All Star
Melo takes fire from NBA draft pick

Marcus-Morris-KU.jpg

Updated: Jun 27, 2011 09:07 AM
By Alan Hahn

Marcus Morris, the 14th overall pick by the Houston Rockets, has compared himself to Carmelo Anthony -- already a bit of a stretch -- and when he was introduced to the Houston media after Thursday's NBA Draft, he acknowledged that comparison and then added this:

"But I'm not going to take after him on the defensive side."

Whenever the 2011-12 season begins, circle the first meeting with the Rockets on the calendar. But perhaps instead of just exacting personal revenge, Melo should realize that this isn't an isolated opinion about his game. Players respect Melo's ability to score, but he is lacking a star's respect when it comes to the complete game. If he cares at all about his rep, especially how younger players view him, this has to change.

To his credit, Carmelo did improve his effort, focus and determination on the defensive end when he arrived in New York, but there's a lot more work to be done before he is considered a good defender. It's one thing to get up in someone's face and hound them, but it's another to play good, solid positional defense with a strong understanding of, and committment to, the team concept.

And, of course, it helps to be in great shape.

---------------------------
Melo is going to rip this guy to shreds when the Rockets come to town.
you bet....Melo is gonna dunk in his face

Melo plays defense when he wants to, like Amare and both have great potential to play defense but the coaching staff doesnt get on them for not playing good defense so they are inconsistent.

With Tom Thibodeo Melo and Amare are good defenders, with Mike D they are hit or miss

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Indeed Carmelo and Amar'e have ridiculous length and athleticism so they can play good defense when they actually PLAY DEFENSE.

We need to get a COACH who STRESSES this shit. Look at Amar'e, Amar'e has never had a defense-emphasizing coach in his entire life...