Harrellson: "I'm going to protect my stars"

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Maybe we have our center guys, maybe not. I like the way he's talking though. Every team that wants to win in the playoffs needs to have a guy or two w this type of attitude.

By LENN ROBBINS

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/trash_talker_iSwjNNIhAspPHEb94GxpCO#ixzz1QVCzquGB

Josh Harrellson joining Amar'e Stoudemire and Carmelo Anthony isn't going to give the Knicks a Big 3 like the team in Miami that recently choked.
But the rookie big man might give them a presence every team needs to advance, especially in the playoffs.
"I'm going to protect my stars," Harrellson said yesterday at halftime of the Liberty's win over the Los Angeles Sparks at the Prudential Center. "Amar'e, Carmelo, if someone's getting rough with them, I'm going to protect them. I'm going to make my presence felt. They'll know I'm there."
Harrellson, the No. 45 overall pick whom the Knicks acquired from the Hornets in a draft-night deal for about $750,000, said he thinks he can have a long NBA career as -- his words -- a garbage man.
27.1s053.harrellson1--300x300.jpg
Jason Szenes
HAVING A BALL: Knicks first-round pick Iman Shumpert receives a 21st birthday present from Liberty mascot Maddie at yesterday's game in Newark -- much to the delight of fellow draft-day pickup Josh Harrellson.

It's a role he said he always felt comfortable with but certainly perfected at Kentucky, where he had one of the most volatile careers in Wildcats history.
Harrellson was recruited by Billy Gillispie, who quickly found the perfect scapegoat in the 6-foot-10, 270-pound center. Gillispie once locked Harrellson in a bathroom during halftime of a game and made him take the equipment truck home from a road game.
Harrellson was hoping for a second life at Kentucky when Gillispie was fired and replaced by John Calipari. But after grabbing 26 boards in the Blue-White game, he drew Calipari's ire by tweeting that he got no love from his coach. Calipari then banned players from using Twitter.
"Definitely the smartest dumbest thing I did in my life," Harrellson said.
Calipari didn't think he would need Harrellson last season, having signed Turkish center Enes Kanter after losing center Daniel Orton to a surprising entry in the NBA Draft. But when the NCAA ruled Kanter ineligible for playing with a team that paid some players (not Kanter), Harrellson stepped in to fill a void.
He led the SEC in rebounding last season, averaging 7.6 per game. He gained additional fame by wearing jeans shorts, which garnered him the nickname "Jorts."
His nickname with the Knicks is up for grabs. The Joshinator? Hammerson?
"I'm his protector tonight," said Harrellson, pointing at Knicks first-round pick Iman Shumpert, who celebrated his 21st birthday yesterday.
It's all a dream come true for Harrellson, the kid from St. Charles, Mo., population: 65,000. He had never been to New York until last season, when Kentucky played UConn in the Garden. If he makes the Knicks roster, he will call the Garden home, and there you just might see the Garbage Man taking out the trash.

Mike D'antoni better play this kid if he looks like he's ready. Maybe he can be a guy who'll grab 10-12 rebounds for us nightly. You never know.

tiger0330

Legend
He's not better than Mozgov and the Gov's playing time was up and down all year, talking tough does not equate to being a good NBA player and getting PT. D'Antoni will not be playing this kid much.

Yeah unfortunately our coach hasn't changed. Unless we get this defensive assistant that was talked about at first but seems to have faded since..

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
He's not better than Mozgov and the Gov's playing time was up and down all year, talking tough does not equate to being a good NBA player and getting PT. D'Antoni will not be playing this kid much.

No it doesn't... But having that attitude to come in and work as hard as you can is a good start.

Maybe him saying things about himself before he's done anything will make MDA take notice of him. :teeth:

kylepicklehead

Benchwarmer

How do you know he's not better than Mozgov? How many games have you actually watched of Harrellson? Nobody knows how good this guy will be, but it certainly doesn't hurt to talk tough to inspire yourself to be the best, most intense ball-player you can be.

Even if he doesn't turn out to be the best Center in the world he's a big body who can crash the boards and bring fire and intensity to the Garden. IMO, He will contribute and get some minutes off the bench later in the season as he continues to learn. But that's only IF MDA can decide to give him some minutes.

tiger0330

Legend
How do you know he's not better than Mozgov? How many games have you actually watched of Harrellson? Nobody knows how good this guy will be, but it certainly doesn't hurt to talk tough to inspire yourself to be the best, most intense ball-player you can be.

Even if he doesn't turn out to be the best Center in the world he's a big body who can crash the boards and bring fire and intensity to the Garden. IMO, He will contribute and get some minutes off the bench later in the season as he continues to learn. But that's only IF MDA can decide to give him some minutes.
You can't be serious. The Gov is better than this kid right now and in every aspect of the game, Mozgov has a better perimeter game, is more athletic, taller, a better FT shooter. I'll give you he could develop into a better player than Mozgov some day but I doubt it. How can you take a player seriously when he says he thinks he can have a long NBA career being a garbage man.

KBlack25

Starter
The guy hasn't put on a jersey yet...can we wait until he actually does that to declare him worse than a 2nd year Center who barely got any minutes his rookie season?

kylepicklehead

Benchwarmer
You can't be serious. The Gov is better than this kid right now and in every aspect of the game, Mozgov has a better perimeter game, is more athletic, taller, a better FT shooter. I'll give you he could develop into a better player than Mozgov some day but I doubt it. How can you take a player seriously when he says he thinks he can have a long NBA career being a garbage man.

You're making Mozgov sound like he was an All-Star. His perimeter game was not that great at all, and he was not a very tough big man. (See below Video.)

NYKnicks11

Benchwarmer
He has a very low ceiling and I would rather have Mozgov than him. But he'll play hard and fight for rebounds IF he gets playing time. He also has to get into better shape since the only reason he played at Kentucky last year was because he FINALLY got into good enough shape to play extended minutes.

KingCharles34

All Star
What did Mozgov do to deserve all these lesbian trannys riding his meat?

smh @ the basketball iq of the average poster on here being on a steady decline, you dummys need to stop celebrating your favorite players and start tellin it like it is

With that being said, I like this kid. I think he has a tough attitude, hes strong, and probably fundamentally sound coming from Kentucky. Im lookin forward to seeing what hes capable of

kylepicklehead

Benchwarmer
What did Mozgov do to deserve all these lesbian trannys riding his meat?

smh @ the basketball iq of the average poster on here being on a steady decline, you dummys need to stop celebrating your favorite players and start tellin it like it is

With that being said, I like this kid. I think he has a tough attitude, hes strong, and probably fundamentally sound coming from Kentucky. Im lookin forward to seeing what hes capable of

Thank you very much Starbury. All I was trying to say.

tiger0330

Legend
Maybe I should give him the benefit of the doubt but he pretty much says he thinks he can become a Mark Madsen, Ryan Bowen type of player and if I told you the Knicks wanted to sign either of these two guys that were known for their hustle and little else you would say they were crazy.

I am not in love with Mozgov but he's better than Harrelson. You guys need to wake up, he wasn't even supposed to be drafted and the only reason he got to play for Kentucky was because Kanter was declared ineligible. So now he comes out and says I got Melo and Stats back and you hoods think that counts as a reason he should play. smfh

kylepicklehead

Benchwarmer
I can see Harrelson being our Brian Cardinal.

The Janitor!

Of course Harrellson is not as good as Mozgov currently, but in the future I'm sure he will be a more complete player.

I'm just standing up for my White boy brother Harrellson, nothing really against Moz, he's just not a Knick anymore so I don't really care for him.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
I can see Harrelson being our Brian Cardinal.

Or maybe our Bo Outlaw.. or better still, our Bill Lambeer. Who knows..

The point is that @ 6'10'', 270lb if he has the motor, that insatiable appetite to do the dirty work and a bit of nasty.. he may surprise us all.

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
Or maybe our Bo Outlaw.. or better still, our Bill Lambeer. Who knows..

The point is that @ 6'10'', 270lb if he has the motor, that insatiable appetite to do the dirty work and a bit of nasty.. he may surprise us all.

I like the comparison to Laimbeer
I'm not saying he's gonna be as good as Bill. But with the toughness, commitment to defense, and decent shooting range the comparison is spot on

portega1968

El Cacique
it never fails after so many years on this forum... we overhype our people and then hit the wall when the season starts... Michael Sweetney, Frank Williams, Andy Rautins, Jordan Hill, Mardy Collins, Dijon Thompson, Maciej Lampe, Slavko Vranes, Lavor Postell, Walter McCarty etc etc etc

I like what has been said about his hustle, but he just isnt athletic enough and has zero offense and that just translates into less minutes than Rautins next season, dont fool yourselves guys

Last edited:

p0nder

Starter
whoa whoa whoa whoa.... who ever hyped up Andy Rautins???

This kid has the size and an attitude. Amar'e could really help him get his offensive game going and mentor him to the workings of pro sports. I can't think of a better place for this kid to land. He will get the same opportunities that Moz got early last year. When he proves he can make a difference at both ends, we'll see him get minutes. Don't expect to see him on the floor until there are some injuries tho.

And Tho he will probably not get many minutes this year, I can see him playing better then Moz and Jordan Hill in a year or two.