Chauncy: "Knicks need more team, not more stars!"

toNYknicks

Benchwarmer
Chris Paul was the main one pushing for the big 3. He toasted to it at Melo's wedding. The likelyhood of attaining him will rely on our ability to wait for next years free agency. D12 is NOT happening! he stated he doesnt want to follow anybodys path and he doesnt like the cold, two indicators of not wanting to go to NY, plus he just doesnt look like he has that New York mentality. But this thread is about stars v.s team/role players. Although you wont see me complain if we get CP3, role players are essential. When your stars or on the bench or injured going into the post season and you still dont have a big man and are getting raped in the paint or on the wing( no homo) which happened all year you're going to be asking why the hell is bill walker on the floor?

moneyg

Starter
Let's assume that CP3 or D12 is available by the trade deadline. Who are we going to give up to get either one. Chauncey+Douglas/Fields for arguably the best point guard right now/ Reigning 3-time defensive player of the year, Best Center in the game today? I don't see New Orleans ir Orlando biting on that. Not right now. Sorry

P.S. Boston had an obnoxious first 5 in Rondo, Ray, Pierce, KG, Perk.

I think everybody is missing the point. we cant get cp3 or d12 for peanuts.. if we can get good players with reasonable contract, we can include in a trade for cp3/d12 or trade with another team to aquire assets that will help in a trade, like draft picks... we wont be able to get either guy in a trade unless we add a quality player or two with decent contracts

Nyknicks141

Benchwarmer
Do we really just wanna waste an opportunity like this to only win one title? If we just wait for CP3 to fall into our hands, which isn't guaranteed obviously then we just wasted two seasons on nothing (barring that they get a deal done in time). I agree with chauncy. I really believe we need to stop waiting for some star to fall to us and start going after guys who will become key pieces to the team. Dallas had one star. One scorer. And his name was dirk. We have two. If we add key pieces and forget this whole 3-star thing i think we'd be in position to win a title as soon as possible. Besides, look at miami. 3 stars with nothing else. A bunch of old guys who arent as good as they used to be. They count on a bunch of vets and 3 stars to win? We've already seen teams win. Amare is better than Bosh and Carmelo is equal/better than Lebron. We can use a mix of both blueprints, i think it could work. A big 2 is perfectly great if we have the right guys around them.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
...Here's the deal with building a team like Dallas:

Good roleplayers are HARD TO FIND. Do you HONESTLY think that we can assemble a supporting cast like the one Dirk had by the end of next year? You DO realize how heavily coveted big men and good role players are, right?

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
...Here's the deal with building a team like Dallas:

Good roleplayers are HARD TO FIND. Do you HONESTLY think that we can assemble a supporting cast like the one Dirk had by the end of next year? You DO realize how heavily coveted big men and good role players are, right?

It took years and years so yes GOOD or the RIGHT role players are not in abundance but they are easier to acquire than superstars. Further, CP3 is not just a superstar...he is a young PG who FILLS A NEED. CB is 34+ years old and not our solution long term. If a GM can replace him with CP3 but chooses to get a few role players instead than whoever our GM is he needs to not only be fired but burned on Broadway.

Nyknicks141

Benchwarmer
It took years and years so yes GOOD or the RIGHT role players are not in abundance but they are easier to acquire than superstars. Further, CP3 is not just a superstar...he is a young PG who FILLS A NEED. CB is 34+ years old and not our solution long term. If a GM can replace him with CP3 but chooses to get a few role players instead than whoever our GM is he needs to not only be fired but burned on Broadway.

And what if CP3 decides he doesn't want to be a knick? we just got screwed on both ends. We dont need that many role players because we already have 2 superstars. Unlike dallas, who had one. so they needed to have the perfect combination of many people to surround dirk whereas we only need a couple of pieces and we're good. Its not like CP3 or D12 is our only solution.

Besides, i know it took dallas a long time. How long would you say we've been a rebuilding team? This is arguably the best position we've been in since 2000.

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
And what if CP3 decides he doesn't want to be a knick? we just got screwed on both ends. We dont need that many role players because we already have 2 superstars. Unlike dallas, who had one. so they needed to have the perfect combination of many people to surround dirk whereas we only need a couple of pieces and we're good. Its not like CP3 or D12 is our only solution.

Besides, i know it took dallas a long time. How long would you say we've been a rebuilding team? This is arguably the best position we've been in since 2000.

+1. :agreed:

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter

We are not getting a superstar for superstars sake...we are filling a need with the best player possible. How you can argue against that is beyond me. I could give an eff what CB wants or does not want since if the plan goes right will be traded this year at the deadline as a salary dump for NO. Our franchise would make a grave mistake catering to an overrated 34+ year old PG who has lost more than a step since his prime.

P.S. We will continue to rebuild until we have a complete roster. Step one is acquire the best players available to fill out our core. Step two is to find role players to compliment that core.

STAT1

Starter
CP3 is not the only prize waiting in 2012. There are other players that will be better than Chauncey that summer available in free agency, Deron, Dwight, Nash & potentially Bynum are among them. Chauncey will be plan E, F or G & everyone knows it.

Kiyaman

Legend
This thread went the oposite of the topic

This thread went off the Topic to the oposite of
this topic......

There was a strong reason to why Chauncy Billups made a comment
such as the Knicks need a "TEAM" rather than another star player.

A "TEAM" consist of two players for each position, and that also
includes the headcoach and assistant-headcoach (The Knicks has
failed in this department for a decade). Adding two high-scoring
super-stars to the Knicks roster is far from building a "TEAM".

The "Posters" in this thread jumped over the 2011 offseason/regular
season by cancel it out of the equation to jump to the available star
FA in the 2012 offseason. That have to be a great big leap from a sick
elderly incompetent president to enforce the thinking on so many Knicks-Fans.....
"forget today what u can do tommorow"......the thought of
two super-star FA joining forces in the 2012 offseason has never crossed
these Knicks Posters mind.... CP3 or Deron Williams joining forces with
Dwight Howard.

The clarity of Billups statement is to strong to over-look, the Knicks
have three Generals and no soldiers to give orders to.
Amare & Melo are condition to perform 38 strong minutes on the
offensive-end of the court.
When D.Wade/ Lebron/ Bosh/ D.Howard/and CP3 are condition to
give 35 mpg of hardcore offense/defense on both ends of the court.
Helluva big difference.

Only a fool would compare or believe Amare & Melo are equal to an
all-around high athletic Super-Stars Bosh & Lebron on offense/defense....
and when u add the unbelievable complimentary performance of D.Wade
into the picture the Miami Heat BIG-3 are a Tripple-Championship Team.
The Miami Heat BIG-3 earned an "A+" grade in their first season.
Lebron James comment after the FINALS were bold to clarify....
this is a BUSSINESS!!!!
Hint: Look at the past 5 years on how much Lebron & D.Wade average
yearly off of endorsements compared to this season of HATRED.

The super-star tandem of "D.Howard & CP3" on the same team are a power
to be reckon with, both super-stars are outstanding on offense and defense.
They are much better than the tandem of Amare & Melo, b/c the two will
provide "STOPS" and twice the amount of fastbreak baskets in their performance.

pakopako

Benchwarmer
CP3 is not the only prize waiting in 2012. There are other players that will be better than Chauncey that summer available in free agency, Deron, Dwight, Nash & potentially Bynum are among them. Chauncey will be plan E, F or G & everyone knows it.

As much as I love Nash, replacing Chauncy with Steve is like swapping one bandage for another.

Kiyaman said:
Look at the past 5 years on how much Lebron & D.Wade average yearly off of endorsements compared to this season of HATRED./
That season of HATRED worked out for them, money-wise, pretty well too.

I do agree with Nyknicks141 -- NY has been rebuilding for nearly 10 years now and this is a good position for the team. It's not like there's a glut of forwards any more, and we have two established all-star scorers, and we have a veteran field general in Billups.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Steve Nash is a great player but really we'd be losing defense for offense and we at this point probably need defense way more.

Unless, of course, Nash comes at a good price and allows us to pick up someone like Tyson Chandler. Would you rather have Chris Paul or would you rather have Steve Nash AND Tyson Chandler?

Just a thought.

STAT1

Starter
Steve Nash is a great player but really we'd be losing defense for offense and we at this point probably need defense way more.

Unless, of course, Nash comes at a good price and allows us to pick up someone like Tyson Chandler. Would you rather have Chris Paul or would you rather have Steve Nash AND Tyson Chandler?

Just a thought.

Chandler will not be an option in 2012, he'll be signed up this summer to a longterm deal. The choice will come down to choosing either to sign 1 of the big 3 elite free agents next summer, or splitting up the cap space between 2 or 3 very good players like Nash, Bynum, etc. I would be fine with either path, though going after an elite player tends to appeal to me more. They're harder to come by.