NBA lockout will dwarf the NFL strife ( ESPN )

Knicks4Life_1985

★The Floor General★
I just got done reading this on ESPN. The thing that scares me about this is:

"
In other words, the two sides ain't close. They're not even close to close. They're further apart, actually, than they were in 1998-99 when the entire season came within 24 hours of being canceled."

I was only 13 when the last lockout happened (damn) but I remeber it like yesterday. This pretty much sums up why Melo had to be dealt before the deadline and wanted no part of being in limbo. Lets all hope that if games have to be missed we can make it a season like the one we played that year in 50 games:2cents:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/commentary/news/story?page=wilbon-110630

Knicks4Life_1985

★The Floor General★
Donnie Walsh bids Knicks farewell on day of NBA lockout

Good read @ The NY Daily News:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...011-07-01_walsh_bids_knicks_adieu.html?page=1

I think Donnie Walsh could have done a better job drafting for the Knicks. He missed on a few players with our top ten picks but I am still very happy with the job he did managing our cap so we were able to add Stat and Melo.

He will be missed especially if Dolan puts a puppet in place of a president / gm like my Redskins have done in the past with Dan Snyder. Dolan is clearly a moron and he will bring us back to the stone age of Spoon, Harrington, Eisley, Etc if he is allowed to.

Damn brah, a lenghty lockout is the last thing we need. We've got a good roster, we fans are desperate to see our Knicks play...and the league itself will suffer a lot from the effects. From second to 4th...even NHL will surpass the NBA now, if the whole season (or majority of it) gets cancelled.

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
If there won't be a season next year, I hope some players decide to play here in the Philippines *crossess fingers*

Kobe's going here on July 13! YEAH :)

tiger0330

Legend
Here's an interesting article on the Nets team financials, you can even download the Price Waterhouse audited financiial statement if you are interested.

This is why its going to be a long strike, the players question how much money the owners are losing because of the Roster Depreciation Allowance and the tax writeoffs the owners get from the losses that benefit their S-Corporations.

http://deadspin.com/5816870/exclusi...-7-million-profit-look-like-a-28-million-loss

finestrg

Rotation player
A buddy of mine was saying it yesterday --- why don't some of these teams that aren't making enough money just up and move? It's not like it hasn't happened before..Isn't that what the Seattle Supersonics did? The Vancover Grizzles? Charlotte at one point before they reacquired an NBA franchise? I'm know I'm even missing some teams..Why should just a couple of teams out there that aren't generating acceptable revenue be allowed to skew league numbers as a whole? I don't think that's right..Plenty of teams out there are still operating in the green. The Knicks certainly have been --- MSG continues to sell out night after night and we've been bad for over a decade...That's because the interest in the team, the sport and the willingness to support the Knicks remains, even during tough times...Some of these owners might have to sit down and really reaccess their situations. Hell forget benefiting the league; some of these owners that have teams hurting for money/aren't drawing fans should wanna move for themselves first and foremost, no? Valid point, I think. It ain't the whole story but rethinking demographics/a change of scenery for some of these teams supposedly in the red would help the league...Maybe instead of siding with the owners 100% this dipshit Stern should go to some of his teams and convey that message.. Instead of putting pressure on the players to buckle and take far less than they've been used to, put some pressure on some of the owners to either move or sell their teams..How 'bout that? Without the players, the NBA is NOTHING. Come on, let's call it like it is..I betcha plenty of the casual fans that attend Knick games couldn't even tell you who James Dolan is. Think about all of these young kids attending these Sunday afternoon games..You think they know who the Knicks' owner is or could even give a damn? They came to watch Amar'e and Carmelo Anthony play ball. Period.

Last edited:

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Good point. The problem is, with one team that's under NBA control as it is...how many teams can the NBA afford to lose?

I say the teams that don't make money should just liquidate, but...

LJ4ptplay

Starter
My tolerance for sports is dwindling. From Melo, to Dolan and now billionaires arguing with millioniares about money...the only people that really lose anything are the fans, the same people that give these overpaid, egomaniacial, self-involved pricks the money they're screaiming about. We've created these monsters by worshipping them and giving them everything they want with little reciprocity.

There are better and much more important things in life than a bunch of spoiled brats putting a ball in a hole and acting like they deserve anything more than our occasional applause. Move on. Read a book. Educate yourself. Lord knows, these douchebags don't give a pinch of sh*t about you.

Let's pretend they reach an agreement on November 1st, would the season start immediately, without any form of preseason? That would suck for all the rookies and some sophmores.

STAT1

Starter
A buddy of mine was saying it yesterday --- why don't some of these teams that aren't making enough money just up and move? It's not like it hasn't happened before..Isn't that what the Seattle Supersonics did? The Vancover Grizzles? Charlotte at one point before they reacquired an NBA franchise? I'm know I'm even missing some teams..Why should just a couple of teams out there that aren't generating acceptable revenue be allowed to skew league numbers as a whole? I don't think that's right..Plenty of teams out there are still operating in the green. The Knicks certainly have been --- MSG continues to sell out night after night and we've been bad for over a decade...That's because the interest in the team, the sport and the willingness to support the Knicks remains, even during tough times...Some of these owners might have to sit down and really reaccess their situations. Hell forget benefiting the league; some of these owners that have teams hurting for money/aren't drawing fans should wanna move for themselves first and foremost, no? Valid point, I think. It ain't the whole story but rethinking demographics/a change of scenery for some of these teams supposedly in the red would help the league...Maybe instead of siding with the owners 100% this dipshit Stern should go to some of his teams and convey that message.. Instead of putting pressure on the players to buckle and take far less than they've been used to, put some pressure on some of the owners to either move or sell their teams..How 'bout that? Without the players, the NBA is NOTHING. Come on, let's call it like it is..I betcha plenty of the casual fans that attend Knick games couldn't even tell you who James Dolan is. Think about all of these young kids attending these Sunday afternoon games..You think they know who the Knicks' owner is or could even give a damn? They came to watch Amar'e and Carmelo Anthony play ball. Period.

Teams need to get city approval to move their franchise & they also need to be able to negotiate their way out of their current lease. Also, they need approval from the NBA before they can move & the NBA is careful to try & keep their franchises in the markets they want them in & they also have to keep their other NBA franchises in consideration when determining where other teams can move to. Owners like Dolan will not take kindly to existing NBA franchises deciding to invade the NY metro area market on a relocation for example & will do everything in their power to block such a move. There's a ton of red tape to navigate before you can move your franchise from a dead market to a new one.

JaboloPR

Rookie
My tolerance for sports is dwindling. From Melo, to Dolan and now billionaires arguing with millioniares about money...the only people that really lose anything are the fans, the same people that give these overpaid, egomaniacial, self-involved pricks the money they're screaiming about. We've created these monsters by worshipping them and giving them everything they want with little reciprocity.

There are better and much more important things in life than a bunch of spoiled brats putting a ball in a hole and acting like they deserve anything more than our occasional applause. Move on. Read a book. Educate yourself. Lord knows, these douchebags don't give a pinch of sh*t about you.

At the end of the day, it is true that without the athletes, professional sports would be nothing, like another poster wrote. I don't even know why owners for teams feel they would need to make money beyond what is necesary for operations, maintenance and improvementes. ?Why are there no player and ballboy cooperatives?

With that said about the owners, ?100 million? That is nonsense. ?Using your stardom to bully yourself to assembling a championship? That's not even sports. That's a whole different level of competition that we need to get past as as a society. Yet for some reason, we keep going back to the NBA, the NFL and even MLB. Like Justin Bieber or the Royal Wedding. Completely useless yet fascinating.

?Support your local amateur sports leagues!