Start of a trend? Or just an isolated move?

nixon7

Benchwarmer
Deron Williams to Turkish team:

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nba/news/story?id=6745426

Is this the start of a trend? Or just an isolated move?

Would you like to see the Knicks rookies (Shumpert, Harrelson, and Jerome Jordan) sign to play somewhere over the summer, so they progress rather than stagnate? Would you like to see some Knick veterans join them so they can develop some chemistry as a unit?

If so, where would be the best place to have this happen? In Europe, China, North America, Rucker Park?

nixon7

Benchwarmer
More on why a hard cap may backfire

More on why a hard cap may backfire on the owners:

ttp://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/NBA-Labor-Dispute-Why-a-Hard-Cap-is-a-Bad-Idea-for-Both-Sides-91631387

Also, for the 5-7 seven teams way over the current cap (Lakers, Mavericks, Trailblazers, Spurs, and Magic, ...., and possibly Heat and Hawks) will they be forced to waive players currently under contract? Or be grand-fathered in a manner which is uncompetitive for other teams?

Everyone is acting as though this is just players vs. owners, but the reality is that there has to be a war between the owners going on outside the media spotlight.....

nuckles2k2

Superstar

ttp://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/NBA-Labor-Dispute-Why-a-Hard-Cap-is-a-Bad-Idea-for-Both-Sides-91631387

Also, for the 5-7 seven teams way over the current cap (Lakers, Mavericks, Trailblazers, Spurs, and Magic, ...., and possibly Heat and Hawks) will they be forced to waive players currently under contract? Or be grand-fathered in a manner which is uncompetitive for other teams?

Everyone is acting as though this is just players vs. owners, but the reality is that there has to be a war between the owners going on outside the media spotlight.....

I've already said it's rich owners vs "poor" owners vs the players. As long as teams like the Knicks own their own network, rake in all sorts of cash from ad revenue, and benefit from their owner having access to Cablevision money (who subsequently makes a shit load of money by owning other companies like Rainbow Media Inc, who owns the AMC networks) there's an advantage over a team like...say...the Milwaukee Bucks, who's owner will want to get rid of that "unfair advantage."

But think about it....every time you sit down and watch an episode of Mad Men, The Killing, Breaking Bad, etc. The commercials run during that program may ultimately be helping the Knicks go into luxury tax territory to win a ring.

Do you not love Corporate America?

Completely unrelated side note: I'm willing to bet that Cablevision's involvement with the ownership of AMC is the reason why satellite providers have been having the hardest time reaching a deal to get the channel in HD.

Don't you just hate Corporate America?

la2ny

Starter
I think if more players did this it would kinda force the hands of the owners and players to come together an work something out instead of bullshitting around until paychecks are lost which means less games for us.

Wargames

Starter
this will be a trend that could be a great prologue to the Olympics in 2012. Stern always wanted the league to go international. I guess he will be getting his wish.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star

That article hit it right on the head. The first thing I thought of when I read someone talk about a $45 million hard cap was the fact that many NBA players would probably head for Europe. If you're Landry Fields, and you're making less than a million dollars as it is, and your salary is going to get slashed probably to 750,000 if they roll back the contracts that far, why would you stick around? Go to Turkey, play with a washed-up Allen Iverson, and make four times as much money as you do playing in the States, and get treated like a KING.

The NBA has to realize that while its stars are going to make a good amount of money, many mid-level players are going to leave and thus the quality of roleplayers around the league is going to decrease. The big market teams will still be the only ones with the stars, and the small-market owners who now have NO stars and NO roleplayers cause they're too cheap to pay players more than European teams will are the ones who will see themselves get ****ed in the ass the hardest.

And here is the bluntest reality of all - if the league institutes a hard salary cap, the Miami Heat are going to dominate the NBA for the next five years. Period. Dallas won't be able to re-sign its roleplayers cause they'll all head for Europe, Lakers players such as Shannon Brown and Ron Artest will head for Europe where teams will pay them tons more just because of who they area, and the Knicks will not be able to add a 3rd max contract or any decent veteran roleplayers that could give them a chance to topple Miami.

Most screwed of all would be the Thunder, probably.

Last edited:

KBlack25

Starter
Start of a trend. Happened in the NHL.

Honestly, if I were a network like, oh I don't know, SpikeTV, FX something like that, I try and get the rights in the US to air these euro games. Some of these teams could wind up being like mini-All Star teams.

p0nder

Starter
it will be a growing trend, tho i didn't expect it to happen so quickly. Deron opened the flood gates, i would imagine at least one more player this week and many more later this month.

The prospect of missing games is not something a real competitor like deron wants to go through. Most of the players know that they will need to play ball, work out and stay sharp for the next season. I would rather see something organized for them to play in north america. It would be awesome if Canada had it's own pro basketball league similar to the football league (CFL) which has had many NFL stars play. Then time shifting wouldn't be an issue and it would get more tv coverage. Right now we are looking at the NCAA and WNBA to tide us over in the event of a long drawn out bargaining process. The chances of network coverage of basketball games in turkey is pretty slim.

On a silver lining note tho; the NCAA will be packed with talent this year as many players elected to not go into the draft for the lock out season.

MSGhobo247

Rotation player
If you go to the NBA portion of the ESPN website there is a short video about Amar'e and Melo possibly going overseas as well. The closer we get to the season the more names we are going to hear.

Kiyaman

Legend
It looks like the biggest "TREND" in the NBA has already started....
The Star-Players in a draft-class becoming teammates through
the FA market. The 2003 draft class of Lebron/ D.Wade/and Bosh
has set the stage of this trend.
Which offers no future growth to the misguided cheap-owners
that never invest wisely when they have a good thing going.

The Dallas Mavericks once were a cheap market team untill
owner Cuban arrived.

The Sacremento Kings had their chance to grow into a big
market winning team during the early millenium.

The OKC Thunders market has been rising tremendously in
stock each season since departing from Seattle.

A $45 million hardcap would stop the growth of the Thunders,
Portland, Memphis, Clippers, and any other growing team.
This cap-lockout makes no sense for either parties......
It has become nothing but a big advertisement to promote the
Euro-League teams.

smokes

Huge Member
Don't see how this is the start of anything? He is "eyeing" going to Turkey... Just like Kobe, Amare, Melo, and a ton of other players are "eyeing" going to China.

Obviously, these guys are going to want to participate in some kind of organized ball to remain in shape and ultimately this is the game that they love. You don't want to just sit around and take a year off.

Depending how the next round of negotiations go if there is optimism on the players side of getting a deal done even halfway through the season I doubt you'll see any of the big names actually sign a deal, unless it has a release clause (although I guess these contracts would HAVE to have a release clause, if they didn't what happens when the player is under contract with two different teams?).

la2ny

Starter
Depending how the next round of negotiations go if there is optimism on the players side of getting a deal done even halfway through the season I doubt you'll see any of the big names actually sign a deal, unless it has a release clause (although I guess these contracts would HAVE to have a release clause, if they didn't what happens when the player is under contract with two different teams?).

FIBA doesn't allow players under contract to sign with an international team. There is a loophole though, which Deron has shown, if there is a work stoppage you can sign a contract that has an automatic out as soon as the work stoppage is over.