So if our coaching staff can make Jared Jefferies into half way decent shooter .....

New New York

Quiet Storm
Then Shumpert should not be a problem right?

Look it scares the heck out of me that Donnie,Mike and the rest of our coaching and scouting department considered Iman Shumpert a good shooter based on one strong outing.....yet his higlight videos clearly show that he has a nice looking jump shot (which is as about an accurate account you can get from a highlight real) it just doesnt drop often, which is more than what our coaching staff had to work with when working w Jared Jefferies who they drastically improved! Again this isnt a Rajon Rondo jump shot that simply will never be affective, a player with a perfect form will develop with shooting reps and confidence.

Jared Jefferies never shot better than 10% (1 for every 10 ) for us his fist 3 seasons as a Knick from 3 and that went up drastically in his second season with Mike D and staff to 33 pct (1 for every 3), he shot a career high from the FT line at 65% too

Now these are not Allan Houston stats by no means....yet given the fact that JJ is a Rodman,Chris Dudley type player on the offensive end those are significant improvements.

Not to mention David Lee gave credit to his nearly automatic Jump Shot to our coaching staff as well, Boris Diaw went from good awful to an ok shooter.

Point being....this kid can develop into a decent shooter under our current staff (if only for a year).

If he shoots 44% from the feild 36% from 3 and 77% or better from the line then I would consider it a success.

Lets Remember Michael Redd was not thought of as a shooter at all coming into the league

Did you know that Iman made the Dean's List twice as a student Athlete, most recently last year, I like that a lot for some reason.

smokes

Huge Member
basketballreference.com is no substitute for actually watching games. He hit a lot more than that. I'm not saying he was lights out just that he did enough to keep himself on the court under MDA.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
basketballreference.com is no substitute for actually watching games. He hit a lot more than that. I'm not saying he was lights out just that he did enough to keep himself on the court under MDA.

Smh.. I watched every game last season. If we looked at his overall attempts and makes I'm sure they're right in line w my thinking on this issue. MDA didn't make JJ into a better shooter. He was just barely okay before he got here and he's still just barely okay now. The guy hardly ever shoots. I've seen him toss up plenty of bricks and be substituted out of a games because he was hurting our spacing with his lack of perimeter ability.

That said, this thread to me is kind of a non-starter. JJ doesn't shoot well. Plus Shumpert and him have completely different skill-sets and play different positions.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Then Shumpert should not be a problem right?

Look it scares the heck out of me that Donnie,Mike and the rest of our coaching and scouting department considered Iman Shumpert a good shooter based on one strong outing.....yet his higlight videos clearly show that he has a nice looking jump shot (which is as about an accurate account you can get from a highlight real) it just doesnt drop often, which is more than what our coaching staff had to work with when working w Jared Jefferies who they drastically improved! Again this isnt a Rajon Rondo jump shot that simply will never be affective, a player with a perfect form will develop with shooting reps and confidence.

Jared Jefferies never shot better than 10% (1 for every 10 ) for us his fist 3 seasons as a Knick from 3 and that went up drastically in his second season with Mike D and staff to 33 pct (1 for every 3), he shot a career high from the FT line at 65% too

Now these are not Allan Houston stats by no means....yet given the fact that JJ is a Rodman,Chris Dudley type player on the offensive end those are significant improvements.

Not to mention David Lee gave credit to his nearly automatic Jump Shot to our coaching staff as well, Boris Diaw went from good awful to an ok shooter.

Point being....this kid can develop into a decent shooter under our current staff (if only for a year).

If he shoots 44% from the feild 36% from 3 and 77% or better from the line then I would consider it a success.

Lets Remember Michael Redd was not thought of as a shooter at all coming into the league

Did you know that Iman made the Dean's List twice as a student Athlete, most recently last year, I like that a lot for some reason.

Wtf dude.. Seriously?? JJ made one 3 pointer for us last season. ONE. This is a joke right??? He shot 1 for 3 (did you leave out this important detail sir)for .333 %. Just stop. In 24 games w us he made one 3 pointer. During the whole 2010-11 season he shot 2-9 for .222 percent, including his 18 games played when he was on Houston. What a tremendous improvement. ;)

Back in 04-05 he hit 16-51 for .314, and in 05-06 he it 16-50 for .320. Those were is only other barely decent seasons from three point range. If he got to shoot a larger volume in those seasons I'm sure those percentages would drop into the twenties too. Like I said he was a barely adequate from 3 before he got here and he's still that way now. MDA has had no effect on his proficiency from that range.

You guys amuse the hell out of me w this type of nonsense.

Thread over.

smokes

Huge Member
Wtf dude.. Seriously?? JJ made one 3 pointer for us last season. ONE. This is a joke right??? He shot 1 for 3 (did you leave out this important detail sir)for .333 %. Just stop. In 24 games w us he made one 3 pointer. During the whole 2010-11 season he shot 2-9 for .222 percent, including his 18 games played when he was on Houston. What a tremendous improvement. ;)

Back in 04-05 he hit 16-51 for .314, and in 05-06 he it 16-50 for .320. Those were is only other barely decent seasons from three point range. If he got to shoot a larger volume in those seasons I'm sure those percentages would drop into the twenties too. Like I said he was a barely adequate from 3 before he got here and he's still that way now. MDA has had no effect on his proficiency from that range.

You guys amuse the hell out of me w this type of nonsense.

Thread over.

We are referring to the 2009-2010 season. Stop making an ass of yourself please with your superiority complex.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
We are referring to the 2009-2010 season. Stop making an ass of yourself please with your superiority complex.

That doesn't matter. The OP is trying to assert that JJ got better w the arrival of MDA when from 04-06 his performance was just as average.

And why do you have an attitude w me smokes? I'm not trying to come off as superior or arrogant, I just don't agree w the reasoning behind the premise of this thread.

smokes

Huge Member
That doesn't matter. The OP is trying to assert that JJ got better w the arrival of MDA when from 04-06 his performance was just as average.

And why do you have an attitude w me smokes? I'm not trying to come off as superior or arrogant, I just don't agree w the reasoning behind the premise of this thread.

Mate I don't have an attitude with you, but saying you're gonna pull out the stats to prove us wrong when I know I'm not wrong is annoying!

JJ was a half-decent 3 point shooter that season in fact he played well basically everywhere (except under the basket!) that year and people forgot that very quickly. I'm no fan of JJ but I give credit where credit is due.

smokes

Huge Member
Anyway this is so getting off the point of this thread and NNY I'm glad you brought this up honestly I've had a hard time accepting the Shumpert pick ever since draft night and wanted to cuss this guy out on numerous occasions but you bring up a good point.

I hope H20 is gonna be drilling him on shooting.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Mate I don't have an attitude with you, but saying you're gonna pull out the stats to prove us wrong when I know I'm not wrong is annoying!

JJ was a half-decent 3 point shooter that season in fact he played well basically everywhere (except under the basket!) that year and people forgot that very quickly. I'm no fan of JJ but I give credit where credit is due.

The only thing I'm saying is that MDA didn't have anything to do w JJ's performance in 09-10. The evidence of this is the previous seasons I posted where he had similar #'s. Who was coaching him then, not MDA. That's why the premise is facked up. Thas all man..

smokes

Huge Member
The only thing I'm saying is that MDA didn't have anything to do w JJ's performance in 09-10. The evidence of this is the previous seasons I posted where he had similar #'s. Who was coaching him then, not MDA. That's why the premise is facked up. Thas all man..

I see what you're saying but you have to remember those seasons in Washington were very good seasons for that team, Gilbert in his prime, they were actually making some noise, and JJ was getting a hell of a lot more touches.

You might be right that it wasn't MDA who instilled in him the ability to shoot 33% from 3 point land but it was MDA and the coaching staff who encouraged him to regain some offensive confidence and start shooting the open shot again.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
I see what you're saying but you have to remember those seasons in Washington were very good seasons for that team, Gilbert in his prime, they were actually making some noise, and JJ was getting a hell of a lot more touches.

You might be right that it wasn't MDA who instilled in him the ability to shoot 33% from 3 point land but it was MDA and the coaching staff who encouraged him to regain some offensive confidence and start shooting the open shot again.

Ok, I hear you on that.

tiger0330

Legend
Why even discuss it from what I read JJ won't even be here next season whenever that is.

Iman being on the deans list is impressive, that tells me he's got something under the cap, he will work hard and he'll be a good citizen. All that can't hurt his chances.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Let's be serious. I don't care if Jeffries' career 3-point percentage is at 4%. He had a tough time even catching the ball and making lay-ups.