If u could get 1 player back from the Melo deal who would it be and why?

New New York

Quiet Storm
Gallo and Wilson are great but Gallo<<<<<<Melo

and Wilson was my favorite Knick and while I loved his versatility and being able to use him at the 2, he simply was not a 2.

Felton was nullified by Billups

Anthony Randolph wouldve been nice to keep, but still being tagged with that word potential into his 3rd season warrants concern if he will ever "get it"

With that big gapping whole at the 5 Mozgov would have also been nice to have kept too

So who would I have desperatly wanted back......Anthony Randolph!!!!!!

Now this is a hypethetical thread so we need to ignore the logistics of the trade to even contemplate the question....meaning, there are players who had to be included to get this deal done as was the case with AR, no way Curry comes off the books to allow us the freedom to do this if AR is not included.

But, if we if we were allowed to bring any of those guys back it would be AR for me. I don't see him as an All Star but I do see him eventually becoming one of those guys who gives a good team a nice lift....which is basically what Donnie Walsh and Billups say we need right now to compete.

Ofcourse the argument is that we need a Center so Mozgov would be the obvious choice....yet we needed a Center for much of the time Mozgov was on the roster and even when he was our starting Center he did not provide much help.

Joel Prybilla to me would out preform Timofey for us.

Not to mention I suspect The Knicks have their eyes on Dwight Howard next Summer.

I also wouldve loved to have seen Corey Brewer play for us....I swear him getting cut was apart of some handshake agreement with Walsh and David Khan because that made absolutley no sense to me.

smokes

Huge Member
Wilson Chandler regardless of whether he is a true 2 guard he puts up better numbers that Fields, is a better defender, more explosive and athletic, could play minutes at the 2 and 3 backing up Melo, even the 4 sometimes to back up Amare. I know we have a hole at the 5 but AR/Mozgov are not hard players to replace.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
This is pretty tough. What jumps out to me is Gallo for spreading the floor and versatility, but would I care so much about his spreading the floor if it wasn't for Mike D'Antoni hyping up his shooting? Sure, he can shoot, but there was a long stretch where Chandler was the better shooter. Also, Gallo wasn't/didn't get himself involved enough and didn't attack the basket enough even though he had the ability too.

Chandler, before the trade rumors he had an impressive and consistent season. He brought offense and defense. Actually, I just remembered, a few times when I thought "put Chandler on him" to a guy who needed to be stopped, he did it. I might go with Chandler because of that between the two.

Anthony Randolph? I think he gets way too much hype. Not saying he doesn't have potential, but do people not remember his terrible plays when he did play? I don't agree with D'Antoni on a lot of things, but I wouldn't be surprised if he deserved to be benched. Still, I wonder what he could have done if he stayed here.

I felt Mozgov needed a lot more playing time because he showed like he could become a good player on both sides of the floor. He had some catching the ball problems, but it didn't LOOK Jeffries bad, and maybe it wasn't. He wasn't great at English. For all I know that could have caused a big communication problem on the floor and it wasn't even that he wasn't good at catching the ball.

Finally, I get to Felton. He was a warrior. Offense, defense, he gave it his all. What a lot of us forgot is that he was playing so many minutes. He was a lot better than Duhon and still got the same effect. We needed a back-up PG bad. Forget how he played in Denver, career wise, he's been good, a starter. Billups doesn't negate him. The only other PG who was good enough was Anthony Carter, and I don't know if he could play that much, and D'Antoni did not play him enough. Felton is not the ideal PG for two superstar scorers, but, he is good. Let's not worry about if he'd be happy coming off the bench or not, plus he might have started with Billups.

Ughhhhhhhh, this is a tough choice. I'll give an answer now and I'll think about it and read other posts and maybe I'll change my mind. So........

Anthony Randolph. I'm influenced a lot by the hype on this one, but he did show versatility, and maybe he could have been a nice hustle player to back up Turiaf.

Then again.....Mozgov was doing a good job of that and showed to be better....OK! Mozgov it is.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
It's a tough one. Wilson Chandler was a great player. Gallinari had worlds of potential and draws tons of fouls. Anthony Randolph proved himself to be worth playing time in Minnesota. The answer isn't Mozgov.

I guess if I had to pick one it'd be Gallo cause I just liked him more than Chandler, although going by our team's needs Chandler as SG/6th man could be really helpful

keyser soze

Benchwarmer
Chandler. He was the most versatile player on our team and would be a perfect 6th man on our team. The problem was that being able to pay him was never a realistic possibility.

p0nder

Starter
Looking at our team right now I can see why they were hesitant to include Mozgov in on the deal. Strictly from a needs perspective i would say Mozgov. and then probably Chandler for his ability to play the 2-3-4 and defend anyone, when he wanted to.

Gallo would be backing up Melo as he is not a starting 2 guard nor a PF. I actually preferred Felton's play to billups last season, but I don't think the deal gets done without us getting billups. AR, well AR had potential, but he wasn't a starting 5 on any team and he'd be backing up Amar'e. I'd keep him as a trade asset but I don't think he would ever make a good fit on the team with the big 3 of billups-melo-amar'e.

So as our team stands now, I am forced to say Mozgov, only because I think he'd be better then Kwame brown...

TakMan

Rotation player
Why is everyone assuming Chandler would be our 6th man? Chandler would start at 2 over Fields whilst Fields and Douglas would become a very decent pair of 6th men. Never really liked Gallinari; think he always looked for the shot or the foul and was never team orientated. It's got to be Chandler for me.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Why is everyone talking about getting back one of our SF's when we have Melo? The answer is easy...Raymond Felton!

keyser soze

Benchwarmer
Why is everyone talking about getting back one of our SF's when we have Melo? The answer is easy...Raymond Felton!

Not really. He would be a FA at the end of this year, anyway. And we are all assuming CP3 will be available. We were always going to make a run at Paul if he was available. That's why most people consider Billups/Felton a wash.

keyser soze

Benchwarmer
Why is everyone assuming Chandler would be our 6th man? Chandler would start at 2 over Fields whilst Fields and Douglas would become a very decent pair of 6th men. Never really liked Gallinari; think he always looked for the shot or the foul and was never team orientated. It's got to be Chandler for me.

I have trouble seeing Chandler being a starting shooting guard but maybe.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Not really. He would be a FA at the end of this year, anyway. And we are all assuming CP3 will be available. We were always going to make a run at Paul if he was available. That's why most people consider Billups/Felton a wash.

Being able to resign Felton and focus o a big would have been huge.

TakMan

Rotation player

aaaa you see there's your anti Billups rhetoric surfacing again. Felton had some good attributes but he aint Billups. Billups can set the tempo, shoot and defend better than Felton; He's by far the smarter player, and is aiding Douglas' development far more than Felton would. That's my view anyways.

Keyser I think Chandler can develop into a very decent 2. All he requires is some additional shooting practice and he's more or less there. With a decent shot and his explosiveness, he could complement Anthony's game brilliantly. I'd start him at 2.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
aaaa you see there's your anti Billups rhetoric surfacing again. Felton had some good attributes but he aint Billups. Billups can set the tempo, shoot and defend better than Felton; He's by far the smarter player, and is aiding Douglas' development far more than Felton would. That's my view anyways.

Keyser I think Chandler can develop into a very decent 2. All he requires is some additional shooting practice and he's more or less there. With a decent shot and his explosiveness, he could complement Anthony's game brilliantly. I'd start him at 2.

You're right Felton isn't Billups...Felton is better than Billiups now. He is a pass first PG who thrived in our system just entering his prime...

TakMan

Rotation player
You're right Felton isn't Billups...Felton is better than Billiups now. He is a pass first PG who thrived in our system just entering his prime...

He is a pass first PG... who was susceptible to massive amounts of turnovers and who conceded far more points than he scored or dished out. We need someone with the experience and winning mentality that Billups has. He also appears to be a teacher of the game unlike Felton. I too was uneasy with swapping Billups for Felton but the team performed well considering their lack of time to develop chemistry. They've definitely raised the bar and our expectations for next season are far greater.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
He is a pass first PG... who was susceptible to massive amounts of turnovers and who conceded far more points than he scored or dished out. We need someone with the experience and winning mentality that Billups has. He also appears to be a teacher of the game unlike Felton. I too was uneasy with swapping Billups for Felton but the team performed well considering their lack of time to develop chemistry. They've definitely raised the bar and our expectations for next season are far greater.

Felton has a better turnover/assist ratio while dishing more assists and scoring more points so you are wrong.

Experience is great but means nothing when you can't stay healthy enough to play...

KingCharles34

All Star
I cant believe no one said Eddy curry yet. We need a center and he would add a much needed low post presence plus defense and rebounding

Oldtimer

Rotation player
One Player to Get Back

In my view it has to be Gallinari. Chandler would be a free agent with little trade value. Gallinari is still viewed as having potential. He would have become a 2012 trade chip.

I came to the conclusion that Gallo did not work hard enough between his first and second season. He should have put on weight and added strength. He relaxed in Milan over the last summer and came back the same imperfect guy that ended the prior season. He should have been in the weight room last summer and on the court with someone like Dirk's shooting coach. Gallo has one of the worst touches on the move that I have ever seen. I wonder whether he has some other plans this summer. Let's see how strong he is when the lock out finally ends.

I never liked Felton. He shot too much and always insisted on being the hero.

We never should have given Denver Mozgov, not because he is so good but because a refusal to include him would certainly not have been a deal breaker. Mozgov still needs substantial development, but I prefer him to Jordan or Jorts.