If u could get 1 player back from the Melo deal who would it be and why?

STAT1

Starter
Wilson Chandler regardless of whether he is a true 2 guard he puts up better numbers that Fields, is a better defender, more explosive and athletic, could play minutes at the 2 and 3 backing up Melo, even the 4 sometimes to back up Amare. I know we have a hole at the 5 but AR/Mozgov are not hard players to replace.

I agree with this. Wilson was the most polished & well rounded player that we traded away in that Melo package. Right now for this current roster, having Wilson back would probably benefit the Knicks the most. Ray Felton would be my second choice because I liked the chemistry he had with STAT while we had him, & he ran a good uptempo style of play that Chauncey doesn't really do. AR was unquestionably talented & proved that he deserved a much better chance to show his skills in NY while he was here by what he did in his first few games he started in Minnesota. His basketball instincts may have been a little lacking & he definitely needs more seasoning, but if we were a rebuilding team I would have chosen him over any of the players we traded away without question. Gallo was a nice player but he was way too comfortable with disappearing during games for quarters on end & deferred too much to other guys to a fault.

smokes

Huge Member
Felton has a better turnover/assist ratio while dishing more assists and scoring more points so you are wrong.

Experience is great but means nothing when you can't stay healthy enough to play...

You are jumping on this injury thing like he is an injury prone player. He was unlucky enough to sustain an injury just before the playoffs and pretty much the same injury again during the playoffs. In the last 3 seasons he's missed less than 10 games per, not really an injury threat.

Billups not only has experience but the connection with Melo which is important to have between your starting PG and your most potent offensive threat.

I liked Felton but if we're picking who to bring back, why bring back Felton when you'd just have Felton and Billups? Who backs up who?

Kiyaman

Legend
Its not what we want....its all about what the Knicks BIG-3
(AMB) need....
they need a "Wilson Chandler's" type of versatility performance
off the bench for 30 minutes a game (Amare & Melo need rest too).
Chandler is a 6th-man to blend with starters & bench players.

Having Chandler on this roster....the Knicks could then put all their
energy on getting two decent "Centers" to go to the ECF.

NYKnicks11

Benchwarmer
mozgov... him,turiaf,JJ, and veteran FA wouldn't be a bad bigman rotation

That wouldn't be a good bigman rotation either. That's 3 guys who should come off the bench on any team. Turiaf is an energy guy who can block shots and do little else, JJ is only useful on defense and Mozgov is basically a 25 year old who really hasn't shown he can play big minutes in the NBA, and I question his upside since he's 25 already and has to improve basically every aspect of his game still.

I would get Gallo back since he's the best player we traded and he has a longer deal than Chandler. I thought Chandler basically peaked 2 years ago and more or less he has outside of an improved three point shot.

Gallo would be redundant with Melo but D'Antoni would probably play him and Melo at the 3 and 4 with Amare at the 5. Gallo has shown he can draw fouls and make the three while I think he has some upside left.

nyk_nyk

All Star
I'd bring back AR! When coached correctly he can seriously impact a game defensively. I look past his performance with us since Dantoni had him so nervous out on the court and afraid to make a mistake (unlike the luxury Gallo and TD had).

I can think of two quick instances where a confident AR would have helped us:

1. Defending Durant on that last shot attempt in OKC
2. Defending the paint on that lob pass to KG in the BOS game

With his size, speed and wingspan, you could be so creative with the defensive playcalling and increase your options on D. Wasted opportunity in my opinion.

clumsy

Rotation player
At no time in their respective careers was Raymond Felton better than Chauncey Billups.

That said Ray fits the Knicks and D'Antoni better due to his pick & roll ability. He was definitely the most missed piece in the trade.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I missed Felton after seeing Billups' lack of quickness at the point.

And then I remember the way Felton would just lose his man on defense and chuck the **** out of the ball and then I forgot about it. The way Billups hit that 3 against Miami was better than anything Felton had ever done.

NewYork 21 Knicks

Benchwarmer
the thrill was my favorite player during our terrible years and i would have liked to see him more then anyone be able to stay on that same team and compete in playoff games he deserved it