Kobe says he's passing the torch to Melo

Got this from RealGM board who got it from somewhere else..
Today I went to a Kobe Tour in Seoul, Korea and one of the fan's questions were who will surpass him.
The whole stadium was screaming the obvious choices of Rose, Wade, Lebron, Howard however Kobe answered with the New York Knick's Carmelo Anthony. I know that it's Korea, and no one really knows much about the NBA, or basketball in general, but the reaction of the crowd was shock. Honestly, so was I. Kobe's reason for Melo becoming his succesor was Melo's offensive versatility. However, will Kobe's theory be right and after he retires will the torch end up being passed on to Melo?

Also, the tour was amazing. Although I know that Kobe doesn't really try, he totally failed a pass off the rebound for a dunk, completely missed a reverse, and got hardcore pumpfaked by a 14 year old.
icon_lol.gif

Dunno what he means exactly but it can only be good eh..

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Yea, hopefully Melo picks it up (the torch) and makes an all defensive team like Kobe has for so many seasons. I'd be happy w 2 seasons of all- defensive team level play. It would give us a great chance to win one.

Common Melo take the initiative..

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Yeah, Carmelo's the most versatile scorer in the league, bar none. His mid-range jumper is one of the best in the NBA (IMO it's up there with Dirk's) and he's ridiculously athletic and strong.

Now if only he could use that strength, athleticism, and length of his and turn it into some defensive ability then he'd be great. He guarded LeBron amazingly when they played in February but he doesn't always put forth the effort.

finestrg

Rotation player
Sounds like a lot of fluff and respect from one good friend to another to me but hey, if it gets back to Melo and gets him to play harder and live up to that honor and expectation, great..Kobe could've inadvertently challenged Melo with those comments. Let's hope so..

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Kobe could've inadvertently challenged Melo with those comments. Let's hope so..

Hopefully. There's so much potential there. He's untapped at the moment, IMO. Some of the defensive sequences he had as a Knick last season were impressive.

Looking at his post-season stats, he's right up there amongst the elite, which he has always been. But still, it seems that there's that lacklustre attitude that's yet to be outgrown.

Playoffs: 26 PPG - 10 RPG - 4.8 APG - 1.25 SPG.

CarmeloAnthony.png

What haveth thee in thine arsenal, you richeth ****eth?

InGodsHands

Benchwarmer
Playoffs: 26 PPG - 10 RPG - 4.8 APG - 1.25 SPG.
On 37% shooting. Actually Carmelo shot below 40% in 4 postseason runs.

Shot selection is his biggest problem as is lack of effort on defence. He needs to improve a lot if he wants to be an elite player.

NYKnicks11

Benchwarmer
On 37% shooting. Actually Carmelo shot below 40% in 4 postseason runs.

Shot selection is his biggest problem as is lack of effort on defence. He needs to improve a lot if he wants to be an elite player.

Very true. He has all the tools to be a elite player on both ends. He needs to work on his passing and give a more consistent effort on defense. If he does that, he would be a top 5 player easy. Probably higher. But he really doesn't do either of those things well yet. I remember games last year when he would make 1-2 passes all game out of his Iso that was a good pass to a teammate. The other times he would force up a tough shot, he can make them but they are still low percentage shots.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Carmelo's shot selection isn't great, that's true. I hope it will improve because he has Amar'e on his team and doesn't have to force up as many shots.

STAT1

Starter
I know that it's Korea, and no one really knows much about the NBA, or basketball in general, but the reaction of the crowd was shock.

That's so far from the truth. If you've ever been to Korea you'll see kids playing basketball at every playground. Soccer is still the most popular sport there, then baseball, but don't think just because it's Korea that they don't know much about the NBA, or basketball in general. The NFL, now that's a different story.

Scipio

Benchwarmer
He certainly does need to improve defensively but do you think that No D`Toni will be coaching him in D or do you think he`ll just tell Melo to just keep shooting and not worry about his D ????

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
That's so far from the truth. If you've ever been to Korea you'll see kids playing basketball at every playground. Soccer is still the most popular sport there, then baseball, but don't think just because it's Korea that they don't know much about the NBA, or basketball in general. The NFL, now that's a different story.

Truth.

Asians love basketball and baseball. I'm from Taiwan, and they love the Yankees (mostly because of Chien-Ming Wang). Basketball is second - Kobe is probably the second most popular athlete in the country...

MSGhobo247

Rotation player
Herb Williams will turn Melo into a beast on D...

:teeth:

Now I do believe he has the potential but it all starts with Melo. He has to have the hunger and take a note from Gallo and ask to guard the best player of the other squad.

Last edited:

knickscity

Benchwarmer
Herb Williams will turn Melo into a beast on D...

:teeth:

Now I do believe he has the potential but it all starts with Melo. He has to have the hunger and take a note from Gallo and ask to guard the best player of the other squad.
He usually does guard the opposing forward which is his job, the constant switching is what hurt the Knicks defense as a whole.

The part of Gallo guarding the opponents best player is highly subjective, because he may have asked for it, but he didn't do it as much as folks make it seem.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Not to mention the Knicks as a whole just seem to lose their man a lot. Our pick and roll defense is also terrible.

Work on those two things and the Knicks will be a decent team defensively.