Why did people hate on Quentin Richardson?

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Keep in my mind I didn't start watching basketball again until the 2008 Playoffs (I watched the Knicks and Hornets mostly in the 90s and early 2000s, mostly the Playoffs) so I might have missed something. I started watching the Knicks full-time in the 2008-2009 season. I didn't understand why there was so much dislike for Richardson. He might have been our only post-up player, was a decent shooter, I remember him making good defensive plays, so what gives?

I read something back than about him and Marbury not liking each other and talking shit on here, so was it part of the Starbury wars where the hate came from?

STAT1

Starter
I think he was seen as 1 of those guys that always talked about being a leader & liked to preach how guys needed to step up their play, but never really took it upon himself to lead by example. At least that's how he seemed to me. I've never had any reason to dislike the guy, he at least seemed to care when he was a Knick when a lot of other guys played like they were just collecting a paycheck, but I thought he talked a better game than his body could deliver on most occasions. I did hear that he got into it with Steph during practice one time & his teammates had to hold him back from kicking his ass. So for that much Q Rich deserves props. :D

InGodsHands

Benchwarmer
I think in short words he sucked. I haven't watched many games back then cause we where one of the worst teams in the league but I checked his stats and he shot 35, 41, 35 nad 39 % in his 4 seasons in NY so he definetely wasn't a good shooter.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Because he was was a fat ass when he played w us for one..

He decided to get in shape after he was shown the door.

smokes

Huge Member
Exactly what Rono said he was out of shape and playing pretty poorly in NY during the 2008 season and as soon as he left for Miami he suddenly turned into the Shawn Marion type he always had the potential to be.

Didn't last too long but he was trashy on the Knicks shooting under 40%

I remember being so pumped when we got him fresh off his decent shooting season in Phoenix.. Boy did that feeling disappear quickly..

NYKLiFER

Benchwarmer
?

Keep in my mind I didn't start watching basketball again until the 2008 Playoffs (I watched the Knicks and Hornets mostly in the 90s and early 2000s, mostly the Playoffs) so I might have missed something. I started watching the Knicks full-time in the 2008-2009 season. I didn't understand why there was so much dislike for Richardson. He might have been our only post-up player, was a decent shooter, I remember him making good defensive plays, so what gives?

I read something back than about him and Marbury not liking each other and talking shit on here, so was it part of the Starbury wars where the hate came from?

Q-BRICK nuff said

Q-Rich was a bum. Averaging under 40 FG% when your a "sharpshooter" is pretty sad but then again I kind of don't blame him I mean his coach was Isiah and he was playing with Marbury. :barf:The only time i've ever seen Q-rich play pretty good was when he won the 3-point contest and when Orlando beat us this season.:barf::barf::barf:

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
Quentin Richardson was fat, overpaid(40 million dollar contract), and lazy.
He was a horrible player who always managed to weasel his way into the starting lineup. He talked trash about players behind their back and was always a coach's pet. He shot below 36% from the field on 3 occasions, as a Knick.
He's probably a good streetball player, since he's in the NBA afterall, but that's not saying very much.

p0nder

Starter
He had some pretty sick dunks and was athletic but was a bad shooter and not a great defender either. I don't know how anyone had him down as a "sharpshooter". The part that made him suck the most was his contract. When you have that much money tied up in a mediocre player then your team really suffers because he is supposed to be the leader when in reality he is a 6th man or 3rd/4th option on a decent team.

He also makes bad decisions on the court, bad shot selection, not a good help defender, etc.

knickscity

Benchwarmer
He definitely earned his "Q Brick" nickname while being here.

Then he was out of shape the entire time, so even thought he got regular minutes, he was very ineffective with them, on both sides of the ball.

I think Q Rich is a decent player that can contribute some good defense and a 3ball when focus and healthy. However, he came to NY at a bad time. The team was going thru rebuilding stages and someone had just murdered his brother. The same thing happened to Curry when his daughter was killed. These guys were young and had to deal with some serious issues. Such adversity is not always easy to deal with...

All in all...I just think most fans forget there are more important things then Basketball. Plus, bad timing has been a hugh part of the Knicks in the last decade, unfortunately.

Early on, like in November, December of 05 he had some good games for Larry Brown. He played the post-up game, grabbed offensive boards and played some D. Unfortunately the team was so shit in terms of chemistry and cohesion that his efforts didn't get rewarded. He then battled with injury for the rest of the season and never really got going. The signs were promising though!

He was shit under Isiah, just spotting up from downtown and not doing much else. The same under D'Antoni in 08-09, though he had some high scoring nights, due to D'ANt's run and gun offense and the fact that Q turned into a volume shooter.

Honestly, I'd love to have the 205 lbs Richardson on our roster right now, that we saw in Orlando last season. He wasn't fat anymore and played good defense and crashed the boards. Only thing missing was the post up game.

I know, we don't wanna talk about the past 24/7, but this lineup could have been mean under Larry Brown as HC and Donnie Walsh as GM:

PG Billups
SG Q. Richardson (Orlando version)
SF Melo
PF STAT
C Dalembert/ Turiaf

Billups + Brown = winning combination!

The Orlando version of Richardson = good shooting guard with experience

Melo in Larry B's offense = OWNING big time! (Isolations, post up game)

STAT = STAT, I guess even Brown couldn't make him play D :cool:

Dalembert = Good shot blocker and defender in every system, but similar to Big Ben Wallace in Brown's system.

Brown was wasted under Isiah and with that roster.

He could lead us to the Conf. Fnals with the current roster and the addition of Dalembert imo.

p0nder

Starter
I did not recall that his brother was killed. That is tragic and would affect anyone. The same as with Eddie Curry's situation and his daughter being killed. These sort of jarring, terrible, violent events are too scaring to even imagine. To have to go through the public scrutiny as an NBA player while dealing with such events does not seem fair.

After learning about Eddie's daughter I will never berate him again. As a father, it is impossible to imagine the hurt and pain he has and continues to go through.

Q-Rich and Eddie both had natural talent and ability coming into the league. They never got to realize their potential because of the off court tragedies in their family.

knickscity

Benchwarmer
I did not recall that his brother was killed. That is tragic and would affect anyone. The same as with Eddie Curry's situation and his daughter being killed. These sort of jarring, terrible, violent events are too scaring to even imagine. To have to go through the public scrutiny as an NBA player while dealing with such events does not seem fair.

After learning about Eddie's daughter I will never berate him again. As a father, it is impossible to imagine the hurt and pain he has and continues to go through.

Q-Rich and Eddie both had natural talent and ability coming into the league. They never got to realize their potential because of the off court tragedies in their family.
I feel you with the sentiment, and I agree those issues are very hard to deal with and to go to your employment and cope.

But let's not pretend like Eddy and Q were just balling for us prior to these situations happening.

Q really pissed me off because he got into game shape literally the year after us.

Kiyaman

Legend
Isiah traded for teams "CANCER-Players" having a Punk coaching-staff

The Phoenix Suns organization over-paid "Penny-Marbury-Q.Richardson"
double & tripple the $$$ money their talent were worth. All three contracts
were not suppose to be traded untill their final contract season (Death
Penalty for Isiah Thomas), all three were "Red-Flag-Players" before
coming to the Knicks.
Q.Richardson was the worst of the three overpaid players, plus Q.Brick
wasnt worth 20% of what we got from Kurt Thomas consistent performance.
The Knicks 2003-4 tandem frontcourt bigmen "Mutombo & Kurt Thomas"
gave the Knicks a playoff team in the East.....Isiah Thomas trading the
pair of bigmen for two selfish dum decision-making "Crawful & Q.Brick"
made Knicks-fans forget how useless Marbury & Penny were on the Knicks.

Kiyaman

Legend

u put up a sympathetic approach at looking at Q.Rich and Curry situation.
However, before these players tragic-family situation they been in the
NBA for 5 seasons, and never took their job in the NBA serious to be
given much sympathy by fans and co-workers.
I do give Eddy Curry the sympathy of a young father b/c he was
shuffled out of HS into a disray unorganize Chicago Bulls team without
any type of mentor to guide him in the biggest-change in life (Broke-slums
to millionair). The Knicks did give Curry a decent mentor in assistant
coach Mark Aquire to guide Curry on and off the court.
When the Knicks fired Mark Aquire it was down-hill for Eddy Curry from
that day on.
Q.Richardson lockerroom attitude on the Clippers gave Maggette his job.
One season with the Phoenix Suns Q.Richardson lockerroom attitude had
the Suns give away their first round pick to trade Q.Rich....no sympathy!