Shumpert Working out w/ Jarett Jack

New New York

Quiet Storm
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knic..._jQIS6MxpRENq4QdreOH9iP?CMP=OTC-rss&FEEDNAME=

Well its not playing in the Summer League nor scrimmages against players on our roster but it is nice to see this kid is working out.

I like how he said he got a lot of reps w/ our coaching staff before the lockout, that and him working hard now says to me that he has great work ethic, since he is essentially jobless right now.

He really wants to make an impact for us!

Hey JJ is a pretty solid player who has some years in the league so this is a great learning opportunity for him....albeit its not workouts with our trainers and coaching staff....although he probably did get word from our staff as to what they want to see him working on.

knickscity

Benchwarmer
I've read this about a week ago, and it's nice to know that the players are committed to being game ready, especially our rooks.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Doubt he got word from the staff - there's literally NO contact allowed between teams and players...but Shumpert could use a good mentor, every PG can.

Shumpert's got defense down he's just gotta work on his shot selection (he said that himself) and I think his shot selection will improve when he has two future Hall of Famers to defer to.

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
Doubt he got word from the staff - there's literally NO contact allowed between teams and players...but Shumpert could use a good mentor, every PG can.

Shumpert's got defense down he's just gotta work on his shot selection (he said that himself) and I think his shot selection will improve when he has two future Hall of Famers to defer to.

Well he sure isn't going to learn good shot selection from Melo! He's my favorite player, but sometimes I just shake my head with some of the shots he throws up.

Well he sure isn't going to learn good shot selection from Melo! He's my favorite player, but sometimes I just shake my head with some of the shots he throws up.

I think we as knicks fans are so used to not having a super star, we forget that what super stars do is jack shots up

Melo for a high volume shooter, shoots an excellent percentage; and we cry about it.

He can take 30 shots a game for all I care and ill be happy with it

Ide rather him shoot 30 shots a game, than toney douglas, bill walker, shawne williams shooting 10 shots each.

thats what super stars do

if you dont like it, root for the pistons.

knickscity

Benchwarmer
I think we as knicks fans are so used to not having a super star, we forget that what super stars do is jack shots up

Melo for a high volume shooter, shoots an excellent percentage; and we cry about it.

Ide rather him shoot 30 shots a game, than toney douglas, bill walker, shawne williams shooting 10 shots each.

Amen. Can't disagree at all.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star

Melo might not have the greatest shot selection but by virtue of being on the same team as Melo Shumpert will NOT be able to take those shots. He'll get his ass chewed out of town so fast if he screws around and take bad shots because the NY Media will rip him a new one.

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE

Wow! Chill out man! All I'm sayin is Shumpert wouldn't learn good shot selection from the MeloMan. I never said that Melo shouldn't take those kinds of shots.

New New York

Quiet Storm

I kinda see what you're saying....kinda

but the question is not the number of shots that Melo takes but rather the type of shots he takes!!!! I would rather shots go to Melo than a Bill Walker, but I dont want either of them shooting from near the sidelines being doubled teamed!

I like Melo, glad he's a Knick, but his shot selection is pretty poor, now you say he shoots a high PCT which justifies it, yet thats like saying its ok that a QB throws into double coverage because he doesnt get picked off all that often!

Player's (even Superstars) bad habits cost games....case in point Game 1 of the playoffs this year.

Melo's bad shot selection at the end of game 1 couldve made the difference between a win and a loss, its the kind of shot that even if it had dropped you're like why did he shoot that! In that case I would rather kick it to an open Toney Douglas or Shawne Williams than Melo shooting over both Pierce and Rondo far away from the basket!

Talk about Volume players, Michael Jordan was the very definition of it, but he didnt start to win in this league until he knew when to shoot and when the pass. Melo (like MJ) can take any defender in this league one on one so when the game is on the line and a team tries to slow down Melo with a single coverage then I would say Melo needs to shoot 10 times out of 10 in that case and let the chips fall where they may....but Michael knew when to kickt it to Paxon or Kerr or any other player on that team who didnt have the 3rd the talent he did when the coverage on him was good.

All this said.... I seriously doubt that Iman Shumpert's game would regress or not even improve from playing ball with the Melo fellow! Melo did not get good without a lot of hard work and that sort of thing rubs off on young players, I mean Caron Butler said his days with Kobe,D Wade and Gilbert taught him about how to get prepared to play, so no way that same impact would not be felt by Iman being around Melo.