Hanging In The Balance: Fields' Resurgence

Will Landry Fields Reinvent His Game & Be Awesome?

• Yes

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • Highly Likely

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Not Improbable

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Not Likely

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Highly Unlikely

• No

• Total voters

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
And what if Shumpert is just the better player?
From what I've seen so far, the kid has swag and is not afraid to play with the big guns.
Fields was clearly afraid in the playoffs, his confidence was zero...I'd be happy with him working on his jumper etc, but you're either build for this kind of pressure or not (see Lebron). It's only his rookie season, so let's give him another season, but if he's afraid of the occasion again, come playoff-time, it's time to trade him I say.
Swag doesn't mean his IQ is as high as Fields (I don't know). As you said, we have to give him another season. He did show a lot of confidence as a rookie for the most part.

MusketeerX

Rotation player
The kid showed throughout the first part of the year that he is a true NBA player. People have short term memories. Rookie wall and a new iso team became the kids undoing. He lost confidence. This happens with every rookie.

Happened with TD (though injury to the shoulder probably had a lot do with it too).

Relax all. He will be excellent next year.

knickscity

Benchwarmer
The kid showed throughout the first part of the year that he is a true NBA player. People have short term memories. Rookie wall and a new iso team became the kids undoing. He lost confidence. This happens with every rookie.

Happened with TD (though injury to the shoulder probably had a lot do with it too).

Relax all. He will be excellent next year.
TD has never lack confidence, he is letting it fly on offense and getting leveled on defense.

But yeah Fields did hit the wall at the worst time.

I just wanna see what he was doing prior to the trade.

toNYknicks

Benchwarmer
everybody gets on my boy dirty landry.... he was a ROOKIE who was asked to start and he out performed his expectations. YES we all know after the trade he was a scrub we were all watching our boy slip into the darkness but his potential and IQ are promising. The celtics series was more of a show on how bad our coaching is, everyone gets lit up by ray allen on the corners!! ......All star i dont know but starter yes and if hes our 6th then we're looking at some depth

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
And what if Shumpert is just the better player?
From what I've seen so far, the kid has swag and is not afraid to play with the big guns.
Fields was clearly afraid in the playoffs, his confidence was zero...I'd be happy with him working on his jumper etc, but you're either build for this kind of pressure or not (see Lebron). It's only his rookie season, so let's give him another season, but if he's afraid of the occasion again, come playoff-time, it's time to trade him I say.

Swag? Who gives a rat's anus about swag? It's a ridiculous term and doesn't even apply. If Shumpert is better, brilliant! I wouldn't be against having a better player backed up by Fields whatsoever.

I see his lack of confidence as a result of non-inclusiveness. We ran plays for 2 people, and Jared Jeffries.

I do agree that if his forthcoming playoff appearance is a lemon, then he should be dealt with accordingly. On the other hand, my prognosis is that it will be the exact opposite. No real or solid base to that, I just believe it will be the case.

Landry is my shepherd! Allow me some blind faith!

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Nice mix. I've been wanting to look up a mix of him. Players like him don't come around often. Would be foolish to trade him with two superstars on our team.

Red

TYPE-A
Nice mix. I've been wanting to look up a mix of him. Players like him don't come around often. Would be foolish to trade him with two superstars on our team.

Yeah when you look at it from a Knick fan stand point but...

Looking from a market value stand point, I think we'd all take a solid big for him in a trade and easily fill his spot. The problem is when we look at it from a market stand point, there's probably not many teams willing to trade for him- potential and cheap contract considered.

That tells me that (of course) we value him and remain hopeful he will materialize into a viable contributor as fans, but in reality he has little to no value to other teams, and that's just my assumption.

He wasn't in demand for Denver with the trade
His #'s down the stretch were menial
And with the world watching during the playoffs, he was atrociuos

He only has value to us Knick fans, the market says different.

IMO, once we clean up the stench of MOA, Fields would be served well to develop his defense primarily because that will boost his value more than expectng him to become this knock down shooter. I could be wrong, just my opinion

But how I see it, his skill set (besides intangibles like being humble) is easily replaceable, we could use a big, unfortunately he has no real market value.

*waits for Fields lovers to state his size at SG, IQ, college #'s, cheap contract, and time to learn to fit the (flawed) system

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Well I sure as heck won't use an argument for him to fit into this system.

What big man would you have in mind? There's inexpensive ones we might be able to get such as Reggie Evans without trading Fields. Maybe Kenyon Martin too. Chris Anderson? Well, here's his salary:

http://www.hoopsworld.com/story.asp?story_id=9136

Don't know if we could get him with Fields. Don't know we tried to get Anderson or Denver offered him in the Melo trade. Don't know if salary wise we could do it.

We'd probably have to give them Turiaf.

I'm a fan of Turiaf and Fields, both are good players, I see a lot of potential in Fields, and we drafted him. I feel dirty talking about trading either one. More than just being a fan, otherwise I wouldn't be saying anything.

Would you make a trade for Anderson? If we somehow landed him without trading Turiaf it'd be a dream come true.

NYKnicks11

Benchwarmer
I think he'll settle in as a bench player. He won't be an All-Star, his upside isn't that large since he came out as a senior, but I can see him being a solid bench guy for a number of years.

He does all the little things, and if he keeps his spot up three point shooting going, he will stick in the NBA.

Kiyaman

Legend
THat aside, he couldn't handle Ray Allen at all, despite beeing 3 inches taller....and his offense was close to embarrassing in the playoffs, putting up airballs and turnovers.

I hope he does come back as the same player he was early on in the season, but I wouldn't bet on it as a GM. I think I'd take the safe one and trade for O.J. Mayo who's a beast when on.

Since the 2008 postseason games there havnt been any oponents defender
that could stop Ray Allen playoff performance. Especially when the trio of
"Rondo-Ray-Peirce" got down and dirty to run a tri-angle offense in the 2009
postseason games when KG was out with a season injury.

Minimum-wage rookie Landry Fields started all 82 Knicks games lastseason
shooting 50% from the FG, 6 rebounds, 2 assist, 1 steal, 1 to, 9 points,
in 30 mpg. Fields precision movement on the court showed multi-positional
talent with great hustling IQ without the ball.
All of the above single-stats equal-up to a 2nd season Landry Fields being
one of the top-3 players for the 6th Man of the year award.
However....the Knicks organization and dum-dum coach Dantoni did not
put any effort towards getting a veteran "starting-SG" before July 1st. to
go between PG-Billups and SF-Melo, so SG/SF-Fields and PG/SG-TD could
bring a helluva dynamic energy off the bench next season.
The Knicks predraft camp coaching scouts were directed to only look at
the young SG in the 2011 draft-class, not the valuable rebounding/boxingout/shotblocking
bigmen in the 2011 draft-class (foolishness if u ask any NBA analist who
watch the new Melo-Knicks.). If Iman Shumpert is not impressive at the
PG spot Knick-Fans will wonder if keeping Corey Brewer wouldve been a
wise move.

As for the Knicks performance after the "Carmelo Anthony" trade
Knicks-Fans need to go to Melo's stats as a Knicks.....37 mpg,
20 shot attempts to average 26 points, 3 assist, 6 rebounds, and 2 to.
These type of stats prove Melo became the number #1 option on offense
where the ball went through Melo's new creative-moves more than any
other Knicks players hand on offense. Amare creative offense with the
ball was demoted on the offensive-end of the court from taking his 22
shot attempts per game to just 15 shot attempts per game, changing
the Knicks offensive-set, and movement around to follow Carmelo's
peremeter-scoring 92% of the time.
The big change was with Amare inside scoring, the defense motion double-
team on Amare gave the Knicks peremeter-shooting game 73% on offense
with 3 players "Gallo-Chandler-Shawn" and that percentage started
decreasing when big-body Mozgov was put back in the rotation with a
healthy Turiaf to screen, pick n roll, to add more inside scoring from
Chandler, Gallo, Fields, and Felton. As the season was going on these
same Knicks-players were getting more confidence in one-another skill-
set on the offensive end of the court.

:smokin: :gony: :smokin:

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
bump.gif

BUMP!

large_2.6Img11.jpg

He's not quite there yet, but Fields game is reemerging. He's far from being on cue, but it's good to see The Half Blood Prince playing his game.

iSaYughh

Starter
Nice.

1st page of this thread was a great re-read.

I'm wondering if we'll end up trying to solidify our starting backcourt this off-season, which now depends mightily on the play of Lin from here on out, and end up making Fields a versatile 6th man.

I'd like to see if Fields could legit spell Melo at the 3, especially when we go with certain lineups moving forward.

Fields has a unique set of skill. He's a sneaky good off the ball mover, can nail those corner 3s, and has a nose for the key rebound and a desire to get it.

I'm still not sold whether he should be starting or not. j

Our PG situation just became very interesting, with Lin, and the subsequent play of Shumpert throughout this year will both have major ramifications on what is going to be a somewhat mild, but offseason of profound effects regarding who we use our MLE on. And the ultimate role Fields will establish here.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
Fields averaged 12.3 points, 3.9 rebounds and 3.4 assists in the last 12 games, personally I find it a very good result, especially that there were games where his minutes were limited. He's been doing much better than Shump lately.

Fields averaged 12.3 points, 3.9 rebounds and 3.4 assists in the last 12 games, personally I find it a very good result, especially that there were games where his minutes were limited. He's been doing much better than Shump lately.

Totally agree.

His on-man defense is still suspect at times and his three point shot needs to improve, but he's been playing quite well lately.

Good job Landry now please keep it up for months and years! :crossfingers:

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Nice.

1st page of this thread was a great re-read.

I'm wondering if we'll end up trying to solidify our starting backcourt this off-season, which now depends mightily on the play of Lin from here on out, and end up making Fields a versatile 6th man.

I'd like to see if Fields could legit spell Melo at the 3, especially when we go with certain lineups moving forward.

Fields has a unique set of skill. He's a sneaky good off the ball mover, can nail those corner 3s, and has a nose for the key rebound and a desire to get it.

I'm still not sold whether he should be starting or not. j

Our PG situation just became very interesting, with Lin, and the subsequent play of Shumpert throughout this year will both have major ramifications on what is going to be a somewhat mild, but offseason of profound effects regarding who we use our MLE on. And the ultimate role Fields will establish here.

SPOT ON, my man. I'd definitely like to see Fields back Melo @ the 3 in the second unit as a focal scorer. He'd be good along with a Novak for instance, not as the playmaker, but as a receiver [so homo] of the ball [in his mouth] because of the spacing game.

For now, he has to start.

You're bang on about the PG embargo. The emergence of Lin has had a huge trickle effect.

He's been playing well! Thanks for the stats.