Alan Hahn Advocating Ewing As New Defensive Assistant.

Your post is all over the place. First of all, Ewing was not a defensive coach in ORL.he was just one of the assistant coaches.
Exactly so why would you want Pat as our DC? Orlando had no defense other than D12 so what makes you think Pat would be a good DC?

Secondly, who is overrating Ewing as a big man coach?? How is a hall of fame center not worthy of getting credit as a mentor to a young center.
Your overrating Pat. Just because Ewing was a good defensive player you think he will improve our defense? So I guess we should just give Isiah Thomas a call as well.

I don't know if you've noticed, but Howard's post game has gotten better every year under Ewing. Also, his work with D12 was mostly offensive and everyone knows D12 already possesses natural defensive skills.
Calm down D12's post game is not that amazing. Like I said before, D12 should be the best player in the NBA right now. You say that Pat's work with D12 was mostly offensive when D12 has shown NO improvement on his FT shooting and his shooting in general is atrocious lmao.

So I guess you believe that Curry or any other young center we bring in wouldn't benefit from working with our former captain who played the game with great intensity. :eek:hboy:
I'm sorry but I want an assistant coach that can help our defense and Mike Woodson would be much better for the job because he has PROVEN that he can teach a team defense. Would you rather have a proven doctor who has been a doctor for 7 years perform surgery on you or a new doctor who has never performed surgery before?

pat

Starter
Lolololololol!! How old are you? :teeth:

I'm surprised no one else checked you for that horrible comment.

Why? I have actually been watching Knicks games since 1993. One the "Patrick Ewing: Standing Tall" documentary even says so himself: Oak's arrival allowed him to focus on offense. You can see how his offensive numbers improved in NY once Oakley was around, while his defense stats were in sharp decline. Why? Because he did not have to focus on defense that much any more.

I am fully aware of the fact that numbers do not always tell the whole story, or even the true story in fact, but add what I said earlier to the observation that his bpg rate dropped significantly between 1990 and 1992 (4.0 to 2.0) and you can see what I mean.

So for the final 10 years of his career he focused on offense. Also all the coaching he did was trying to teach raw big men post moves. I would like having him around as a big man coach but coordinating defense? I am not sure about that.

I can see his point in wanting to make a step forward. So heading a team wit a dominant centre might actually be more suitable, especially with good a d-assistant around.

Crazy⑧s;185444 said:
: {'89 if I remember correctly},

Exactly 89. BUT what happened then?

Last edited:

pat

Starter
Why dont the Knicks just FIRE the BUM Dantoni-brothers.....
then hire Patrick Ewing & Woodson as assistant coaches to
interim headcoach Herb Williams???

Honestly, as much as I am a Knicks fan, by now my only wish is for all your suggestions to be put into reality, just so that we can agree that this would all end badly.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Why would you want Woodson as an assistant to Herb Williams? If anything if we fired D'Antoni then Woodson would be a great candidate to take his place

pat

Starter
Why would you want Woodson as an assistant to Herb Williams? If anything if we fired D'Antoni then Woodson would be a great candidate to take his place
The first thing which comes into my mind if I hear "Mike Woodson" is "isolation basketball". I wouldn't like that but on the other hand it would cater for Melo's needs. I am just not sure if this would suffice as a championship strategy.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
And what head coaching experience does Herb Williams have?

I'm not saying Mike Woodson would be a great HC but I'd take him over Herb anyday. Also let's not forget the fact that Phil Jackson's shadow is going to be looming over MSG next year.

Wow, you gave a reason why he qualifies and then said he wouldn't qualify.
:teeth:

An effective defensive coach understands defense and has to at least have a defensive mentality. I remember Ewing screaming at his teammates in huddles to clamp down on defense and they listened.

Dude just because you can do something well doesn't mean you can teach it. I was only stateing my respect for Pat before I gave my opinion on him as our "DC".

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Again, if having the skill to play defense means you can be a great defensive coach then why isn't Isiah still our head coach? That guy was a beast as a player, bro.

There's a difference between having the hustle to guard the paint and being able to accurately break down another team's offensive scheme and tailor your defensive schematic accordingly. Ewing would be a great big man coach but I don't think he has the acumen to run the team's defensive schemes just yet. Again, a guy like Mike Woodson who has HC experience would be a much better candidate.

nyk_nyk

All Star
Dude just because you can do something well doesn't mean you can teach it. I was only stateing my respect for Pat before I gave my opinion on him as our "DC".

My point is, why are people like yourself totally writing Pat off? People always get a first chance to do something no matter who you are. Lawrence Frank got a chance and so did Monty Williams and they both did well.

Your right, just because he was a tenacious defender doesn't mean he automatically would be a good DC. But he could be a good DC if he puts all his energy into it. Remember, he comes from the defensive powerhouse Knick teams of the 90's. Plus he was coach mostly by defensive minded coaches.

Kiyaman

Legend
Honestly, as much as I am a Knicks fan, by now my only wish is for all your suggestions to be put into reality, just so that we can agree that this would all end badly.

When the lockout is over the Knicks have to pickup a veteran center
from the FA market, plus sign last year draft pick C-Jerome Jordan to
be developed alongside of C-Harrellson.
We no-longer have assistant coach Mark Aquire to teach the basic
low-post moves to our bigmen to score inside with their back against
the basket.
Signing Patrick Ewing Sr. for the job would be the perfect coach to teach
our young bigmen how to take advantage of so many Knicks oponents
weakness at the center spot.
Ewing had a great teacher in Georgetown Hoya Headcoach John Thompson.
Woodson would make the perfect strategic-coach for Amare/Melo/Billups.

Having Ewing & Woodson on the coaching-staff there would be no room
for Mike Dantoni small-ball, small-rotation, and 30 plus 3-ball shooting
attempts per game.
It seems owner James Dolan has made Herb Williams his right hand man
on the Knicks coaching staff (since 2002)....Lenny Wilkens/ Larry Brown/
Isiah /and Dantoni all wanted to hand pick their own coaching-staff when
they took over the Knicks headcoaching job, but all had to accept Herb
Williams as their assistant headcoach in charge.

Do anyone recall when Willis Reed was the headcoach of the Knicks?
and how Reed put together an all bussiness lineup by midseason in
Sugar-Ray, Ray Williams, Tobey Knight, and Shelton.....that lineup
only needed a center which the Knicks drafted the next season in
Bill Cartwright.
Dum Chekkett went and traded PF-Lonnie Shelton for a clumsy soft center
Marvin Webster to have twin towers in New York.
:smokin: :gony: :smokin: