Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Toney Douglas

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Bill Walker

Votes: 1 3.2%

• Total voters

serendipity10

Benchwarmer
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ds-toney-douglas-or-iman-shumpert-start-at-sg

Landry Fields
Toney Douglas
Iman Shumpert These are the Knicks possible sg to start
Bill Walker
Andy Rautins
Roger Mason Jr.

Interesting question, you can make an argument for each sg except Roger Mason. I put him in to be nice. As you see the Knicks have to many sg and need to get big, sadly this is their situation. The article written by Ram has his views and I will touch and add my views on the topic.

It is obviously to soon to know for sure who will start, but these are the arguments to see who can start from least likely to most.

Roger Mason Jr. has no argument, will only fight for playing time.

Andy Rautins need to see more time. Also has no chance but he needs to play to develop, so the Knicks might need to let him go to get his chance. Played for team Canada and wasn't bad, to bad team Canada sucks especially without Steve Nash.

Toney Douglas shows he is developing on defense and offense but plays to well off the bench. The Knicks need energy off the bench and Toney Douglas is the guy last season who provided it. He was held done through injuries and might have his best season coming up, if he were to start it won't be in the beginning of the season. His chance to start lies on how well the players around him guide him (Billups) and if Billups gets injured again. I see him have a better chance at pg than sg.

Bill Walker filled in when Fields was struggling late in the season. I know he has some fans supporting him, hoping he can live up to the potential he's once had. The only reason I think he has more of a chance than TD is because of his size and he replaced Fields for a while. Walker is in the running to fight for the spot and has to grab the coaches attention to start.

Iman Shumpert is in the same situation as Walker, he has to simply prove he deserves the spot. As of right now he is viewed as a defensive player, and he views himself as a pg. His only chance to start is at sg and he has a better chance than Walker because he is younger, faster, and more athletic. He has a lot of potential with the teammates he has around him and can easily take over the spot if the Knicks shows weakness. He will be a role player because he needs to develop into the NBA, can possibly play 3 position, and improve his shooting.

Landry Fields, a fan favorite and shocker. The number one steal of the draft last season, a smart player, and shows he wants to play. Will most likely start because he has experience in the NBA that Shumpert does not, and has fans and coach behind him. He seems like a person who will work hard and look what he can do to help the team. All Fields has to do is learn how to play with Melo on the floor. His struggles looked to have started with acquiring Melo.

This question will be important throughout the off season to the middle of the season to see whats the best option. Again too soon to tell I would like to see your views.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I think Shumpert should play SG. Shumpert should play SG, Billups should play PG, but when it comes to defense Shumpert should guard whomever is more athletic in the opposing team's backcourt because Billups no longer has the quickness to stop guys like Rondo and Wade.

I like Landry Fields but I think he profiles more as a 6th man than he does a starter. I think Fields will be good for the team when Carmelo and Shumpert are sitting - we'll miss his rebounding, but we have Carmelo to make up for the fact that the rest of the Knicks are horrible at rebounding.

knickscity

Benchwarmer
Fields didn't do anything to get his spot snatched from him.

He just hit the wall at the worst time as a 2nd round pick.

He was the most affected by the trade definitely because he couldn't hide/shine amongst bench player starting.

He had real stars in the lineup at that point.

Personally if he doesn't start, he mind as well be traded.

He isn't six man material.

Your sixth man usually is a scoring punch that he initiates, or is a lock down defender.

Fields is neither.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Fields...doesn't have scoring punch?

I see him as a good scorer of the bench since his 3-point shot has improved. I don't see him staying on the floor at the same time as Billups when we're facing a teach with a tough backcourt. Unless you honestly think that Fields could guard the likes of Rondo and Allen and Wade and all of the monster backcourts in the NBA that we currently have shit defense against.

I know what you mean by Fields not being a primary scorer but he was incredibly efficient last year. Efficiency + 3-point shooting makes a really good player for the second unit.

If Landry Fields is starting then our starting lineup is going to get **** on by any team with a decent scoring Guard, and if Fields is out of the 2nd unit...who the hell is going to be our scoring off the bench? With Amar'e and Carmelo on the floor we don't need Fields to be on the floor at the same time, Fields needs to be on the floor when our scorers and rebounders are sitting on the bench.

Last edited:

New New York

Quiet Storm
Shumpert all day baby!!!

He is in a lot of ways very similar to Feilds but he just better overall!

Shump can do everything Feilds can do plus bring other aspects to the team.

Feilds is a perfect 6th man!

knickscity

Benchwarmer
Fields...doesn't have scoring punch?
Not in a sixth man role, which is what I posted, which was a direct response to the OP may be suggesting.

I didn't say he could score.

But can he play in the likes of a Crawford, Terry, Ginobili, Tony Allen, Mike Miller, JR Smith, Ben Gordon?

Not even on their off night.

Too early to say, we haven't seen one minute of Shumpert as a pro baller so far!

What I've heard and what I saw looks very promising, but we need to wait and see.

Our alternatives at SG are not bad, that's for sure!

I'm more worried about the center spot right now! Where are the Dalamberts. Marc Gasols and DeAndre Jordans we apparenly were interested in? Damn lockout!!!!

Kiyaman

Legend
The long lockout and the cancel of the Summer League Tournament
will decrease the playingtime (into spot minutes) of the 2011 Draft
Class this season.

Lets not forget the defensive prowness we received lastseason from
PG-Toney Douglas and SG-Landry Fields....consistent relentless-defense
in the backcourt made-up for TD & Fields lack of offense. However,
Dantoni's offense were written for these guards to score the majority
of their points on broken plays.
The Knicks not using a center, plus all the written plays not including a
center were the Knicks biggest weak area where oponents took advantage.

Rookie Iman Shumpert will struggle to get playingtime next season with
a healthy PG-Billups & Douglas, and contract season SG-Fields & Walker.
It may have been different if Iman Shumpert were able to workout with
the coaching-staff this summer.

u cant teach, learn, or play team-defense on a fly of one week of training-camp.

finestrg

Rotation player
It should continue to be Fields. Hopefully the whole dip in production post-Melo trade can only be chalked up to hitting the wall like Knickscity said and nothing else...I hope it isn't some long-term deal where he can't blend with Melo on the court. I understand Melo's ball-dominant and that's gonna cut down scoring opportunities for everyone but the way Fields plays, it shouldn't have an effect on him. At least I hope not...Let Melo take his shots --- Landry's gotta continue doing the little things he's good at: spot up and knock down open 3s, continue going to the glass (esp. on the 2nd of 2 FTs a-la Michael Jordan -- love when he does that - that's just pure hustle & smarts), move the ball, drive the ball if it's there, play solid defense, post up if it's there (Landry showed some nice flashes of being able to post & score), etc..

If Landry starts out struggling for some reason, D'Antoni and maybe even Melo himself have to correct it right away. Don't let it linger..Maybe try to get Landry off early on in the 1st quarter...You know Melo & Amar'e's offense will always be there no matter what -- they might have to make sure Landry get's his too, maybe even before they get theirs, just so he stays 100% involved. I wouldn't mind Landry going for double figures in the 1st quarter most games..Give these teams something else to worry about besides Amar'e, Melo, Chauncey, etc...If it comes to that, do it.. Hopefully, like I said, it was just a case of hitting the wall and nothing else. Landry's a real solid player and I want him to continue to impact the game in all areas like he's capable of. Let's face it -- this kid's probably ROY last year if Griffin didn't get hurt 2 seasons ago..We have to continue to build on that.

Last edited:

Paul1355

All Star
everyone has to think realistically.

Landry Fiields was an embarrassment in the sec on half o th season and the playoffs. But he did so well in the first half that Mike D loves him. And we all know that when Mike D loves a player he will over play him. We saw this with Chris Duhon, Jared Jeffries, Quentin Richardson, etc

So knowing this we can safely assume that Landry Fields will start because Mike D started him as a rookie, so why would he hurt Field;s psyche by not starting him as a 2nd year player?

The only other possibility is Toney Douglas.

People think Douglas wont start because we saw in the playoffs that he is not a starting PG.

But people forget that Billups was hurt for every game except game 1.

So odds are that if it;s not Landry Fields, Mike D will onl replace him with someone who has experience, who is Toney Douglas.

Chauncey Bilups can play PG on offense an guard te taller back court player on defense. This a dresses the weakness of having a 6'1 Sg in Douglas who is not matched well with any other SG.

Starting lineup will pprob be this....

Billups
Douglas
Melo
Amare
Turiaf

Iman Shumpert and Fields will be our sparks off the bench since they both bring energy and Iman will be the back up PG. Douglas cant facilitate well and Shumpert will ply more of a PG role on offense because of Douglas inability to run an offense.

Paul1355

All Star
The long lockout and the cancel of the Summer League Tournament
will decrease the playingtime (into spot minutes) of the 2011 Draft
Class this season.

Lets not forget the defensive prowness we received lastseason from
PG-Toney Douglas and SG-Landry Fields....consistent relentless-defense
in the backcourt made-up for TD & Fields lack of offense. However,
Dantoni's offense were written for these guards to score the majority
of their points on broken plays.
The Knicks not using a center, plus all the written plays not including a
center were the Knicks biggest weak area where oponents took advantage.

Rookie Iman Shumpert will struggle to get playingtime next season with
a healthy PG-Billups & Douglas, and contract season SG-Fields & Walker.
It may have been different if Iman Shumpert were able to workout with
the coaching-staff this summer.

u cant teach, learn, or play team-defense on a fly of one week of training-camp.

i have to disagree with you on Fields' defense. Fields has always been above average but Toney Dougllas is a gritty defensive player who is much better than Fields and if Iman Shumpert lives up to his scouting reports, he should be a taller version of Toney Douglas, making fields the dud on defense.

We saw how Fieds would get torched by SG with three point range. Fields hustles but is very bad at guarding players who come off screrens. We saw this with Ray Allen. Allen torched us because Douglas had to gourd Rondo, which left Fields with the task of guarding Allen who is faster than him.

I kno you might say it isn't fare that im judging fields defense based on his performance against Allen who gives everyone a problem when he comes off the high screen and makes his classic three point shot. But Fields was so bad that Allen basically averaged 30 ppg on us.

Allen was never guarded well on any level because Fields simply did not know how to guard him.

Fields did a better job of guarding Rondo, Fields would guard against the drive well which Rondo is exceptional at. Fields has a hard time with perimeter defense.

Because of this Fields should be the third option to guard a SG with shooting range.

serendipity10

Benchwarmer
I see Shumpert as the ultimate 6th man like Wilson Chandler was. Chandler was able to play sg, sf, and pf where Shumpert is able to play pg, sg, and sf. His defense and ability will automatically give him minutes, and with those minutes he will develop.

The team will practice together and will hopefully develop team chemistry. Fields is a smart player and I see him finding a way to adjust and co-exist with Melo. I believe he will start the season but will be in danger of losing his spot. Fields and the Knicks have to take advantage any way possible in every practice.

serendipity10

Benchwarmer
everyone has to think realistically.

So knowing this we can safely assume that Landry Fields will start because Mike D started him as a rookie, so why would he hurt Field;s psyche by not starting him as a 2nd year player?

The only other possibility is Toney Douglas.

So odds are that if it;s not Landry Fields, Mike D will onl replace him with someone who has experience, who is Toney Douglas.

Chauncey Bilups can play PG on offense an guard te taller back court player on defense. This a dresses the weakness of having a 6'1 Sg in Douglas who is not matched well with any other SG.

Iman Shumpert and Fields will be our sparks off the bench since they both bring energy and Iman will be the back up PG. Douglas cant facilitate well and Shumpert will ply more of a PG role on offense because of Douglas inability to run an offense.

I thought almost the same way about Toney Douglas but is just with him starting the bench will be a little weak on scoring. The Knicks for now need Toney Douglas on the bench to play along with Shumpert. Douglas is better than Fields but Douglas has to learn to play the point because of his size and it is no guarantee Billups will stay healthy.

I kind of agree with knickscity if Fields can't start he won't be the best to come off the bench, he will be a less appreciated role player. He can rebound and score but not like others.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Melo's ball dominance definitely affected Fields' play. It was almost instantaneous. As soon as Melo came to the Knicks, Fields looked awful. He had his struggles off an on throughout the entire season, as one would expect from a rookie, but he never looked comfortable with Melo.

Fields is a smart player though. I think he'll eventually figure out the rhythm of playing alongside such a ball dominant player, at least I hope he does. All he really needs to do is become a better spot-up 3 point shooter from spots other than the corner and increase his ball-handling skills. Improve those two things and just continue doing what he did so well for us (e.g. crash the boards, play solid defense, etc) and he's really the perfect SG to play along Melo, Billups and Amare. And Melo needs to learn how to pass the freaking ball too.

Douglas shouldn't start at SG and Iman is nowhere near ready to start. Fields is going to have to be our starter.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
I think Shumpert should play SG. Shumpert should play SG, Billups should play PG, but when it comes to defense Shumpert should guard whomever is more athletic in the opposing team's backcourt because Billups no longer has the quickness to stop guys like Rondo and Wade.

I like Landry Fields but I think he profiles more as a 6th man than he does a starter. I think Fields will be good for the team when Carmelo and Shumpert are sitting - we'll miss his rebounding, but we have Carmelo to make up for the fact that the rest of the Knicks are horrible at rebounding.

I agree w this ^^^^^ :thumbsup:

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Melo's ball dominance definitely affected Fields' play. It was almost instantaneous. As soon as Melo came to the Knicks, Fields looked awful. He had his struggles off an on throughout the entire season, as one would expect from a rookie, but he never looked comfortable with Melo.

Fields is a smart player though. I think he'll eventually figure out the rhythm of playing alongside such a ball dominant player, at least I hope he does. All he really needs to do is become a better spot-up 3 point shooter from spots other than the corner and increase his ball-handling skills. Improve those two things and just continue doing what he did so well for us (e.g. crash the boards, play solid defense, etc) and he's really the perfect SG to play along Melo, Billups and Amare. And Melo needs to learn how to pass the freaking ball too.

Douglas shouldn't start at SG and Iman is nowhere near ready to start. Fields is going to have to be our starter.

Fields will prolly be the opening night starter but Iman should be the guy. Fields is more of a natural 3 to me. He doesn't have 2 guard skills.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Fields hustles and plays passable defense but let's be honest he's simply not quick enough to guard a person like Dwyane Wade.

If we start a backcourt of Billups and Fields then we get torched by anybody who has an athletic SG or PG who can drive to the basket. Could you imagine the damage that Derrick Rose would do to our team if we started Billups and Fields at the backcourt positions?

We got Shumpert so we could STOP the trend of opposing backcourt players crapping 30 PPG against us. I like Fields but I just don't see him being an effective defender against the likes of Rose/Eric Gordon/etc.

Paul1355

All Star
I thought almost the same way about Toney Douglas but is just with him starting the bench will be a little weak on scoring. The Knicks for now need Toney Douglas on the bench to play along with Shumpert. Douglas is better than Fields but Douglas has to learn to play the point because of his size and it is no guarantee Billups will stay healthy.

I kind of agree with knickscity if Fields can't start he won't be the best to come off the bench, he will be a less appreciated role player. He can rebound and score but not like others.
If you remember when Landry Fields was benched for the first time last season, and had a very good game: here is the proof

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/knicks/post/_/id/4030/landrys-growing-pains

"Fields briefly lost his starting job last Saturday against the Charlotte Bobcats, as D’Antoni opted to start Toney Douglas in his place. Fields had his best game in two weeks coming off the bench: he finished with 16 points in 34 minutes. He was active all night, getting to the line 12 times and pulling down six rebounds."

So we can safely say that Fields has had good games coming off the bench. Which makes me think that if he does start this year, eventually he will be on the bench during the season.

-to answer your response on Douglas....I will be surprised if Douglas really improves his passing ability. Court vision is part of an offensive IQ and Toney just doesn't have it. Douglas is also horrible at hitting players with accurate passes in transition. So many times Douglas would have a clear advantage on a fast break and he would just miss an open shooter on the outside or completely miss someone cutting to the basket. This is a serious problem. I don't know if something like that can be fixed in one year. Which is why I think Iman Shumpert will take over as the back up PG with Douglas getting minutes more at the SG spot when Billups and Shumpert are running the point.

serendipity10

Benchwarmer
If you remember when Landry Fields was benched for the first time last season, and had a very good game: here is the proof

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/knicks/post/_/id/4030/landrys-growing-pains

"Fields briefly lost his starting job last Saturday against the Charlotte Bobcats, as D?Antoni opted to start Toney Douglas in his place. Fields had his best game in two weeks coming off the bench: he finished with 16 points in 34 minutes. He was active all night, getting to the line 12 times and pulling down six rebounds."

So we can safely say that Fields has had good games coming off the bench. Which makes me think that if he does start this year, eventually he will be on the bench during the season.

-to answer your response on Douglas....I will be surprised if Douglas really improves his passing ability. Court vision is part of an offensive IQ and Toney just doesn't have it. Douglas is also horrible at hitting players with accurate passes in transition. So many times Douglas would have a clear advantage on a fast break and he would just miss an open shooter on the outside or completely miss someone cutting to the basket. This is a serious problem. I don't know if something like that can be fixed in one year. Which is why I think Iman Shumpert will take over as the back up PG with Douglas getting minutes more at the SG spot when Billups and Shumpert are running the point.

Good memory. It gives me some assurance of the confidence I already have for him. I like your argument but my official argument was the Knicks bench is still kind of weak and Fields can't score like TD. With Fields starting it allows him to help Stat and Melo have total control of the game. The Knicks starters can score but the bench needs some help, and its better for the Knicks to have TD come off the bench.

I like the fact the Knicks have options, and I can see TD as the starting sg. He can spread the floor better with his 3 point shooting ability making the starters very strong. Still feel Fields should start but that might change during the season. Its nice to see the Knicks have options can't wait to see the Knicks in action, this lockout is lame.

Surprise no one is backing up Bill Walker. I don't think he will start but he at least deserves to be mentioned.