Big 3 Hopes Still Alive

LJ4ptplay

Starter
That's if the cap stays the same or rises. I see no mention of actual cap numbers in the article, unless I missed it. In all likelihood, if player's salaries are reduced, it will probably follow along some percentage of the cap being reduced as well.

One positive thing mentioned in the article is the possibility of keeping the MLE and allowing teams to go over the cap to sign MLE players.

I've mentioned this many times. The MLE is the key to the Knicks future. If it does not exist, forget any chances of the Knicks winning a championship. With two players taking up over 60% of a team's salary with no draft picks, solid role players or assets to speak of, and without the MLE to sign quality role players, the Knicks would never be contenders.

Knickerbocker201

Benchwarmer
this is what i don't understand. instead of maxing out Paul if we keep this deal stands which it probably won't.. why can't we just sign a decent point guard that can play defense and lead this team? with the extra money cause we will have a lot cause Paul would've been 20 mil a year most likely sign a REAL BIG MAN to compliment Amar'e. Why don't we BUILD A TEAM... not a group of all stars.... The BIG 3 down in Miami didn't win if I'm not mistaken so why go that route?? idk maybe its just me but I'm pretty sure DALLAS didn't have 3 all stars and they beat MIAMI... stop with this I want to go superstar crazy thats going to set up back...

Paul1355

All Star
this is what i don't understand. instead of maxing out Paul if we keep this deal stands which it probably won't.. why can't we just sign a decent point guard that can play defense and lead this team? with the extra money cause we will have a lot cause Paul would've been 20 mil a year most likely sign a REAL BIG MAN to compliment Amar'e. Why don't we BUILD A TEAM... not a group of all stars.... The BIG 3 down in Miami didn't win if I'm not mistaken so why go that route?? idk maybe its just me but I'm pretty sure DALLAS didn't have 3 all stars and they beat MIAMI... stop with this I want to go superstar crazy thats going to set up back...
Think about a lineup of Paul, Melo, and Stat...all you need with that is two centers who can play decent defense and rebound and some back ups who are athletic and play some defense....Paul makes everyone better and Melo and Stat just dominate

The Big 3 in Miami made it to the finals in their first year, they lost because of size with Tyson Chandler and Lebron messing up in the 4th quarters but i think anyone will take the big 3 of Miami or the possible big 3 of Paul, melo and amare anyday

Paul1355

All Star
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7027843/sources-nba-owners-move-slightly-hard-cap-demand

In this deal we can MAX out Paul since STAT and Melo will get salary reducutions opening up more room for some needed role guys
ive been hearing news that the Knicks will have anywhere from 12-18 mil in cap room if they dont resign anyone and just keep stat and Melo? not sure about the numbers but we will have cap space to get someone good and if Paul can take a pay cut, which he most def will, then we can snag him.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Ok with the players giving 7.5 percent of their salary back, the Knicks will add and aditional 3.2 million in cap

Now lets say it comes in at 60 million that would give The Knicks about 18 million (after the re-sign TD and when you factor Shump's contract)

The New CBA will almost limit the amount in max deals, so we sign Paul or Dwight for 15 million leaving 3 million to sign Feilds

And then the only reason I like Jim Dolan....His Money!!!

The new proposed CBA will raise the luxary tax threshold. So instead of a dollar for dollar penalty it may be like 3 dollars to every one dollar you are over.

So basically Shawne Williams would cost the team 3.6 million and a sensiable owner would neve do such a thing...But we have Jim Dolan baby!!!

So lets say we go w Dwight

Chauncy (league mim)/Douglas/Shump
Shump/Feilds/Walker
Melo/Feilds/Shump
Stat/Melo
Dwight/Jerome Jordan

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
That's if the cap stays the same or rises. I see no mention of actual cap numbers in the article, unless I missed it. In all likelihood, if player's salaries are reduced, it will probably follow along some percentage of the cap being reduced as well.

One positive thing mentioned in the article is the possibility of keeping the MLE and allowing teams to go over the cap to sign MLE players.

I've mentioned this many times. The MLE is the key to the Knicks future. If it does not exist, forget any chances of the Knicks winning a championship. With two players taking up over 60% of a team's salary with no draft picks, solid role players or assets to speak of, and without the MLE to sign quality role players, the Knicks would never be contenders.

It said the MLE would, under the preference of the owners, be restricted to one individual. Helps, but not so much. A stiffer luxury tax is a good thing for Knick fans, mind you.

ive been hearing news that the Knicks will have anywhere from 12-18 mil in cap room if they dont resign anyone and just keep stat and Melo? not sure about the numbers but we will have cap space to get someone good and if Paul can take a pay cut, which he most def will, then we can snag him.

I'll believe that when I see it.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Ok with the players giving 7.5 percent of their salary back, the Knicks will add and aditional 3.2 million in cap

Now lets say it comes in at 60 million that would give The Knicks about 18 million (after the re-sign TD and when you factor Shump's contract)

The New CBA will almost limit the amount in max deals, so we sign Paul or Dwight for 15 million leaving 3 million to sign Feilds

And then the only reason I like Jim Dolan....His Money!!!

The new proposed CBA will raise the luxary tax threshold. So instead of a dollar for dollar penalty it may be like 3 dollars to every one dollar you are over.

So basically Shawne Williams would cost the team 3.6 million and a sensiable owner would neve do such a thing...But we have Jim Dolan baby!!!

So lets say we go w Dwight

Chauncy (league mim)/Douglas/Shump
Shump/Feilds/Walker
Melo/Feilds/Shump
Stat/Melo
Dwight/Jerome Jordan
:lol::lol::lol:

That's the line-up Knicks fans should be talking about if they want a third max. I've said that a while ago. We'd still have Billups.

Knickerbocker201

Benchwarmer
Think about a lineup of Paul, Melo, and Stat...all you need with that is two centers who can play decent defense and rebound and some back ups who are athletic and play some defense....Paul makes everyone better and Melo and Stat just dominate

The Big 3 in Miami made it to the finals in their first year, they lost because of size with Tyson Chandler and Lebron messing up in the 4th quarters but i think anyone will take the big 3 of Miami or the possible big 3 of Paul, melo and amare anyday

I understand what you are saying ok lemme rephrase what i said... I wouldn't mind getting Paul but it affects us building a team IDC how good he is he isn't worth the risk of just having 3 superstars on one team with subpar talent...

New New York

Quiet Storm
Crazy⑧s;186186 said:
It said the MLE would, under the preference of the owners, be restricted to one individual. Helps, but not so much. A stiffer luxury tax is a good thing for Knick fans, mind you.

I'll believe that when I see it.

Really not that hard to fathom, think about the pay cuts Lebron, Dwade and Bosh took to be together

Not to mention Paul would easily make up for lost salary being in NY's market.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Really not that hard to fathom, think about the pay cuts Lebron, Dwade and Bosh took to be together

Not to mention Paul would easily make up for lost salary being in NY's market.

Fathom?

Assume or hope are a better fit.

Miami's exempt from tax. That was the Ace in Riley's sleeve. And, so far at least, the big market hasn't payed its dividends in any way that benefits the team. On the outside of their salaries, STAT and Melo have reaped the benefits. Why should Paul be the odd man out? Especially when there are other markets, though less lucrative, that would pay a higher wage.

And what's to stop N.O from pursuing a trade that benefits them as much as Utah benefited from trading Williams?

knickscity

Benchwarmer
I don't know about the subpar talent part.

With Amar'e melo and CP3, you could fill out the rest of the roster with everyone from this board, and the team would contend.

But seriously though, Paul is likely coming as a FA, so no matter what the cap looks like, I think he is here regardless.

Kiyaman

Legend
The Knicks will be set adding 2 FA veteran Bigmen

The Knicks already have their BIG-3.......
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...mire_carm.html

Do not sleep on stand-In GM Grunwald, he already has made a
splash for success when he hired coach Mike Woodson.
Grunwald next move will be to have total comprehension of the new
CBA rules where he will make a quick move at signing 2 or 3 bigmen
FA a week after the ending of the lockout.
Take a good look at the 2011 FA bigmen.....plus the unrestricted winning
hustlers available like Tayshon Prince and Shane Battier.
I already see Kenyon Martin and Arron Brooks enjoying Miami Beach.

Having Woodson on the coaching-staff with 2 veteran bigmen FA
getting playingtime, while Billups team-leadership coach our guard
rotation on the court/and from the bench, the Knicks first full season
of Amare/Melo/Billups will show a high success of needing 1 or 2 more
role-players to become top contenders. especially if Shump proves
to be a 24 minute dynamic bench player in his rookie season.