What workouts???

nyk_nyk

All Star
DFDH and Real NYB:

I agree with both of your points because there is much truth to what both of you are saying. On one hand, we have Amare who came from a much less flashy city in PHX to the bright lights of NYC and is milking it for all its worth (can't blame him). On the other hand we have Amare who claimed NY is back at the beginning of last season and gave fans a reason to feel good about the near future. NY has always been a city where fans appreciate dedication and hard work on and off the court. We all know the flaws of Amare's game and I can understand the diehard fan wanting to hear more about his basketball progress than his fashion shoots.

There is nothing wrong with Amare and Melo for that matter doing TV and other celebrity activites in NYC. HOWEVER, knowing that each of their games need improvement and knowing how much the city sees them as hope for the knicks being back on top, the other things they are involved in while games are being lost can rub fans the wrong way. They both expressed how important it was for them to lead this team to a championship, so all people want to see is them working hard to achieve it. Those charity games were equivalent to nothing, just entertainment. Working with your actual teammates is worth more.

Like I said, you both make fair points and I personally don't have a huge problem with all the celebrity stuff because at the end of the day they need to keep themselves relevant and reap the monetary benefits in this capitalist society, but I need a healthy balance of that and some headlines about guys working on the weak parts of their game. The last two seasons I remember reading about Howard and Kobe working with Hakeem to gain an edge on their post play. That tells fans that their star is dedicated to the success of the team at all times. I know not everyone has that mentality but that's what the fans want to hear about.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Well, Amar'e did only leave Phoenix because of money, admittedly.

He has yet to shown me he doesn't work hard though. Maybe he's looking at this as "I'm gonna let my body heal, and it's not like we're gonna get no training camp before the season begins."

Fact is none of us know what he's thinking. If he showed laziness on the court last season then we could speculate more, but I don't think there's much to be critical of him on. The man is enjoying life.

Kiyaman

Legend
This is really not about hating. It’s about being that true leader. I could never hate on anyone for doing what they want. But, I can point out some reasons to why he may never be a champion, It's his focus and commitment. There are still parts of his game that needs impovement. He should be eating, dreaming and shitting basketballs...like every other champ did. Right now he is being marketed as the savior of the knicks. I just don’t see how when his work ethic is questionable and his health seems to be a big issue. From what I saw of him thus far…he can start out strong but he doesn’t have the endurance to last a full season with the same intensity he started out with.

His back and knee injuries appears to be from wear and tear over the years, and/or poor conditioning to properly play in this fast tempo system. Every champion I’ve ever witnessed played better as the season progressed. When your game starts to taper off towards the end then you’re not the caliber of player that will get a team a chip. He may be a solid contributor but definitely not the go to man…especially when your ball handling skills and defense is suspect. I’m wondering if he is passing his prime, or does he need to be in better basketball shape. Maybe that’s why Phoenix let him go. I always saw the Knicks grabbing him as a desperation move because they failed to get Lebron and used Stat as bait to lore other superstars to the team…not once have I seen him as the franchise,nfw. Some fans might think so, but I think that frame of thinking comes from the lack of good basketball being played at the Garden for the last decade. So it’s understandable for diehard fans to be overly optimistic.

Until I see him do the very things that champions do to get the bling…I’ll label him as a talented player who doesn’t (yet) have what it takes to be a champion. When you’re tagged one of the best or captain of a team you are suppose to conduct private games, film sessions, and meetings with team mates….especially when there is much time on your hands (like now). However, that might not happen if the season will be canceled. That’s the only reason why I see him not taking the opportunity to gel a bit more serious. Everything else he is doing off the court is not my concern. There are other people I like and respect more for their genuine taste in style, music, etc…

Being that he only played one year here and the fact that he's playing on a new team under a weak coach...I can give him a pass on his failures here. As far as being that dude, that champ...he needs to start acting like one and let his game do the talking...a half season of good ballin is not going to cut it.

:agreed: ......but the Knicks small-lineup and small-rotation had everyone
guessing throughout the season....is Amare the Knicks PF or center?

Dantoni SSOL Dantoni SSOL
Run run small-rotation SSOL run run small-rotation SSOL

That run run run type of coaching with no-halfcourt-setting for 40 minutes
a night in a 82 game season (season after season) would cause season-injuries
to the NBA top-15 PF in the past 2-decades.

Coach Gentry used a halfcourt/transition game with 4 bigmen (C/PF) in
the rotation so Amare & Nash could carry the Suns to the WCF.

Kiyaman

Legend
If the 2011-12 season start in late November.....and the Knicks performance
is the same as it was at the end of lastseason. I will be looking towards
"Amare" summer/fall PR team-workout cancelation as the #1 reason why
teammates dont co-exist.

We will be depending more on Billups & Woodson for the co-exisitence
of players in a 9-man rotation when the season get underway.
:thumbsup: