Knicks Top 3 Free Agent Targets

portega1968

El Cacique
If I have read correctly, teams are no longer barred from doing sign and trades if they are over the cap, which to me means let's sign Tyson Chandler and Jason Richardson this year with Chris Paul next year.

This is impossible.

Source of my comment (maybe I'm reading it wrong):

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7285446/billy-hunter-tells-players-get-512-percent-bri-2011-12

For the first two years of the 10-year agreement -- with either side possessing the option to exit the CBA after six seasons -- tax-paying teams still will be eligible to do sign-and-trade deals. That opens the door for impending star free agents such as Chris Paul, Dwight Howard and Deron Williams to be moved to big-market teams such as the Lakers, Knicks and Mavericks that are already over the salary cap.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Source of my comment (maybe I'm reading it wrong):

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7285446/billy-hunter-tells-players-get-512-percent-bri-2011-12

For the first two years of the 10-year agreement -- with either side possessing the option to exit the CBA after six seasons -- tax-paying teams still will be eligible to do sign-and-trade deals. That opens the door for impending star free agents such as Chris Paul, Dwight Howard and Deron Williams to be moved to big-market teams such as the Lakers, Knicks and Mavericks that are already over the salary cap.

You are correct that teams can do sign and trade deals. But you have us getting Tyson Chandler, Jason Richardson and CP3. This is financially impossible for the Knicks if you still want to keep Melo and Amare.

portega1968

El Cacique
You are correct that teams can do sign and trade deals. But you have us getting Tyson Chandler, Jason Richardson and CP3. This is financially impossible for the Knicks if you still want to keep Melo and Amare.

what do you mean by "financially impossible"... based on the CBA rules or having the cash?

Obviously, the rules can make it impossible... but money aint a problem for the Dolans if they were allowed to go FIFA on the NBA

mafra

Legend
If i'm not mistaken, doesn't chandler's contract overseas restrict him from opting out this year to play in the NBA?

Most players had an opt out in case the season started, but I think Chandler's is for the whole year.

I believe the Chinese season ends in Feb?

LJ4ptplay

Starter
what do you mean by "financially impossible"... based on the CBA rules or having the cash?

Obviously, the rules can make it impossible... but money aint a problem for the Dolans if they were allowed to go FIFA on the NBA

Both.

I'll explain later but at this point I am tired of explaining the CBA, cap, Knicks team salary for this year and next, Knicks cap space and who is on the roster available for trades. I feel like I do it in every thread but nobody bothers to read (or chooses not to read because they don't like it).

How about this...why don't you propose the realistic sign-and-trades, following cap rules (at least to the degree that you can), that will get us Tyson Chandler, Jason Richardson and CP3.

I don't mean to be a dick. I am just very busy right now and have gone over this in many threads already.

nyk_nyk

All Star
Both.

I'll explain later but at this point I am tired of explaining the CBA, cap, Knicks team salary for this year and next, Knicks cap space and who is on the roster available for trades. I feel like I do it in every thread but nobody bothers to read (or chooses not to read because they don't like it).

How about this...why don't you propose the realistic sign-and-trades, following cap rules (at least to the degree that you can), that will get us Tyson Chandler, Jason Richardson and CP3.

I don't mean to be a dick. I am just very busy right now and have gone over this in many threads already.

You have certainly done that many times lol.

This should help for people that need a 101 on the cap situation. [FONT='Times New Roman','serif']bit.ly/uLizdI[/FONT]

nyk_nyk

All Star
Where the Knicks stand under the new CBA

Updated: Nov 27, 2011 08:07 PM
By Alan Hahn
Multiple Page View
Almost immediately after David Stern and Billy Hunter announced an agreement in principle on a deal to end the lockout, the free agency questions came pouring into my inbox, Twitter mentions column and the Fix Facebook page.

But before you all get back into your giddy froth of considering using all of the tools in the new agreement to sign every 7-footer with a beating heart to fill a need at center, let's get the reset on the Knicks' payroll situation for the impending 2011-12 season.

[Feels good to get back to talking about this stuff, doesn't it?]

From what I've been told, the NBA will maintain last season's salary cap setttings, with a $58.044 million cap and a $70.4 million luxury tax threshold.

The Knicks have seven players signed to guaranteed contracts (though they won't see all of this money as a result of the truncated schedule, the league will use their original totals to determine cap space).

GUARANTEED CONTRACTS FOR 2011-12:

Carmelo Anthony: $18,518,574

Amar'e Stoudemire: $18,217,705

Chauncey Billups: $14,200,000

Ronny Turiaf: $4,360,000 (NOTE: already picked up his player option)

Renaldo Balkman: $1,675,000

Toney Douglas: $1,145,640

Bill Walker: $916,000

TOTAL: $59,033019

NON-GUARANTEED CONTRACTS:

*- (After CBA is finalized, Knicks will have window to waive either without penalty)

Landry Fields: $788,872

Andy Rautins: $788,872

UNSIGNED DRAFT PICKS:

Iman Shumpert (2011 first round pick)

Josh Harrellson (2011 second round pick)

Jerome Jordan (2010 second round pick)

RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS

Derrick Brown $1,059,293 (qualifying offer)

CBA OUTLOOK:

The Knicks will be slightly over the cap, but well under the luxury tax threshold, which means they will have the full Mid-Level Exception (four years, $5 million per) at their disposal if they want to use it. Smart thinking here says they will NOT use it because they will not want to do anything that cuts into their salary cap space for 2012. The Knicks have just over $42 million in guaranteed contracts for three players in 2012, which means they'll have just about $16 million to spend on an entire roster. And that doesn't include Shumpert's rookie salary. So they will need to preserve every single penny if they hope to be in the game for Chris Paul, Deron Williams or Dwight Howard.

Expect the Knicks to focus on recruiting veteran's minimum-type players this year, which means they probably won't come away with any true impact players. However, it will be interesting to watch what players may become available with the Amnesty provision, as those players may be looking to for big profile opportunities. The most intriguing name to watch here is Brandon Roy, whose knee issues have reduced him to a role player and may motivate the Trail Blazers to get cap relief for the $70 million left on his deal over the next four years. Would Roy, who will be paid his entire salary from the Blazers, consider a one-year, veterans minimum to come to New York and fill the two-guard position next to Billups and alongside Anthony and Stoudemire?

As for the Knicks, don't expect them to use the Amnesty right now. Though some might feel using it to dump Balkman would save small change on a relatively useless player, the Knicks are better served pocketing this as insurance. Teams can use the Amnesty provision once over the life of the new CBA, but it can only be used for contracts that were signed under the old CBA by the current team.

For those anticipating an extend-and-trade for Chris Paul, you first have to consider that the Knicks have very little to offer the New Orleans Hornets and, unlike the Carmelo trade, there is no urgency here for either side. The new CBA says a player will lose his Bird Rights as part of a sign-and-trade or an extend-and-trade, which means there is no financial benefit for Paul to push for this the way Carmelo did. Plus, the new CBA now limits extensions to a total of three years (two if there is an option year left in the current contract) when done as part of a trade. Paul can sign for a maximum of four years as a free agent.

And for the Knicks, they shouldn't give up the few assets you have -- especially Shumpert -- for a player you can sign in the summer.

But that's assuming the Knicks have their entire focus on Paul. There is the option of wooing Patrick Ewing's star pupil, Dwight Howard, to New York to form what might be the greatest frontcourt trio since Bird, McHale and Parrish. Then the Knicks could fill the point guard position by either re-signing Billups to an affordable number or by signing Steve Nash -- at a heavy discount -- to run the point.

So, yes, the new CBA provides the Knicks some options for 2012 if they are smart with their money in 2011. So, now that you have all the information, what would you do?

He has a binding contract with no opt-out clause, you are not mistaken. But it was said several times his team will realese him if he doesn't want to play there anymore. Earl Clark had also no opt-out clause in his contract with a CBA team, but they didn't make any problems when he decided to leave.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/32339780
http://basketball.realgm.com/wireta...gned_In_China_Wont_Be_Released_From_Contracts
So much for that.

amazinz5

Benchwarmer
The lack of interest in Bensbrough has baffled me...he has the type of attitude that will make those around him want to play harder. He took over games in the toughest basketball conference. He can score from anywhere. Even if his only purpose is to knock down open shots stat and melo create we need to bring him in. I could even see him backing up Chauncey if we wanna get a younger/faster lineup out there.

NYKnicks11

Benchwarmer
The lack of interest in Bensbrough has baffled me...he has the type of attitude that will make those around him want to play harder. He took over games in the toughest basketball conference. He can score from anywhere. Even if his only purpose is to knock down open shots stat and melo create we need to bring him in. I could even see him backing up Chauncey if we wanna get a younger/faster lineup out there.

Because he basically has no upside being a 5th year senior, and he isn't a great athlete. Questionable PG skills. His best asset is his shooting.

finestrg

Rotation player

Word..Agree 100%. If I'm Grunwald/Gabriel/Warkentien/H2O (whoever's actually running the show now), I'm on the phone with Hansbrough's agent WEEKS AGO expressing interest & monitoring his progress in Germany...I mean, come on, if a Scott Skiles can carve out a productive enough career for himself in the NBA so could Ben Hansbrough, who's 100x the player Skiles was..And even though they play different positions, PF and PG, he's a better, more talented player than his older brother Tyler imho, and Tyler's turned into a pretty decent hustle 4 in the NBA for Indy... I honestly think Ben compares very favorably to Steve Nash. Good size at 6'3", a lot quicker/athletic than he's given credit for, good penetrator with a surprisingly good first step, surprisingly good hops, legit/budding PG skills and he's a knock-down jump shooter. I mean what else is there??? He deserves a shot somewhere in the NBA, that's for damn sure.

NYKnicks11

Benchwarmer
I honestly think Ben compares very favorably to Steve Nash. Good size at 6'3", a lot quicker/athletic than he's given credit for, good penetrator with a surprisingly good first step, surprisingly good hops, legit/budding PG skills and he's a knock-down jump shooter. I mean what else is there??? He deserves a shot somewhere in the NBA, that's for damn sure.

Maybe a homeless, dying man's version of Steve Nash.

Let me change your scouting report to something more realistic:

Good size at 6'3", average to below athlete, average to below average quickness, below average first step, really not a great leaper, can dunk if he has an open lane, not a true point guard and has to develop those skills, but has a very limited upside because of his age and lack of athleticism, and he's a knock-down jump shooter. Poor defender as well. More of a combo guard.

finestrg

Rotation player
Maybe a homeless, dying man's version of Steve Nash.

Let me change your scouting report to something more realistic:

Good size at 6'3", average to below athlete, average to below average quickness, below average first step, really not a great leaper, can dunk if he has an open lane, not a true point guard and has to develop those skills, but has a very limited upside because of his age and lack of athleticism, and he's a knock-down jump shooter. Poor defender as well. More of a combo guard.

I don't know what to tell ya man. Just my humble opinion of course but your statements sell the kid a little short & don't really describe the player I saw for ND last year. That description doesn't do him justice and definitely doesn't coincide with the 'Big East Player of the Year' honors he took home at season's end. Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder I suppose...

NYKnicks11

Benchwarmer
I don't know what to tell ya man. Just my humble opinion of course but your statements sell the kid a little short & don't really describe the player I saw for ND last year. That description doesn't do him justice and definitely doesn't coincide with the 'Big East Player of the Year' honors he took home at season's end. Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder I suppose...

Just can't see him being much in the NBA. He's a great college player, but he did struggle last year against athletic teams, and ND got destroyed by a very athletic Florida State team in the tournament. Just don't know what he can do as a combo guard with subpar athleticism.

CA7

Scoring Champ
Just can't see him being much in the NBA. He's a great college player, but he did struggle last year against athletic teams, and ND got destroyed by a very athletic Florida State team in the tournament. Just don't know what he can do as a combo guard with subpar athleticism.

The thing is the same things were said about Tyler, we're not expecting him to be a 25 minute guy just a 3rd pg, potential back up, help spread the floor and run some offense very effective for 5-10min guy, he can be what Anthony Carter was and dont say Carter wasnt key in the playoffs when Billups and STAT went down and TD played like a puss

Knicks4Life_1985

★The Floor General★
Sean Williams : We need a big man who can patrol the paint and save some energy for Amare on defense.

Carlos Arroyo / Baron Davis ( Discount 1 year ) : You saw how as soon as Chauncy went down we really had no chance in the playoffs. Davis seems to be a bit fresher these days I'd spin the wheels on him for a 1 and done.

Dead Eye Shooter : In this offense you can never have to many guys like this.

finestrg

Rotation player
Sean Williams : We need a big man who can patrol the paint and save some energy for Amare on defense.

Carlos Arroyo / Baron Davis ( Discount 1 year ) : You saw how as soon as Chauncy went down we really had no chance in the playoffs. Davis seems to be a bit fresher these days I'd spin the wheels on him for a 1 and done.

Dead Eye Shooter : In this offense you can never have to many guys like this.

Agree with you on Sean Williams. I think he's capable of giving us some good mins off the bench at backup 4 & 5. Dude looked much improved to me the few times I saw him in DL action last year on the NBA channel, Versus, etc..I'd definitely reach out to him...Joe Alexander, DeShawn Sims, Chris Johnson (provided Portland doesn't retain him), and even Courtney Sims are additional DL frontcourt players I think we could add on the cheap that could help us. C Marcus Cousin continues to be my top choice to bolster the frontcourt -- Houston needs to waive him first though.

Carlos Arroyo and Baron Davis: I could be down with either guy but it'd have to be on a 1-yr deal, Davis ahead of Arroyo of course. Davis did look rejuvenated somewhat last yr playing with the Cavs. Thing is, Arroyo could be had on the cheap BUT he's never proved to be much of a difference-maker in the NBA -- Davis could be more of a difference-maker but how would he fit in chemistry-wise? Interesting to see if Davis gets amnestied by the Cavs or if they just decide to keep him for this year and next and just let him come off the cap naturally..What FA is really gonna be looking to go to Cleveland within the next couple of years (post LeBron) even with the couple of top-5 picks they just picked up in last summer's draft?? Hey maybe I'm wrong, maybe Cleveland will suddenly become a desirable location not before long..And maybe they do amnesty Davis this way Kyrie Irving can hit the ground running..Who knows..We'll see.

Dead eye shooter: They'll look to bring Shawne Williams back for this role..Hopefully Williams' solid 3-pt shooting wasn't some fluke last yr AND his agent doesn't get too greedy with a contract demand (I understand Williams wants to be back -- his agent might have different ideas though, we'll see. Money always seems to do the talking esp. with a sports agent). Just in case, 6'7" 215 lb SF Jamelle Horne is a guy I'd like them to bring in for a look. He's one hell of an outside shooter..To me he's got a much better game than Shawne Williams right across the board.

Potential 2-guards I like for us that would come dirt cheap: 6'6" former VA Tech SG/SF AD Vassallo (crafty, good shooter, currently playing in France and playing well over there last I checked); 6'4" Paul Harris (former Syracuse SG/SF--potential's there for a real nice 2-way player here--good athlete and he could be a lockdown defender); Othyus Jeffers (suffered a knee injury this off-season--currently rehabbing, may or may not be healthy. If healthy and Washington's no longer interested, I am 100%. Both Paul Harris and this guy Jeffers have that Tony Allen, physical 2-way wing game you can't help but be intrigued by); 6'6" Sylven Landesberg (former UVA shooting guard came out too early but he had some problems with going to class, etc.. Head coach Tony Bennett then suspended him and the rest was history. I've seen/listened to interviews -- he's far from a bad kid, just made some mistakes -- his mind was on the NBA not on going to class. It happens..Real solid talent level with a ton of potential--MDA had him in for a draft workout 2 yrs ago so he knows him--currently playing ball in Israel I think)..

And the 3 PGs we could add on the cheap right now that I love for us:
Ben Hansbrough (I understand HE'S NOT STEVE NASH but there's no denying there are many similarities..all I'm sayin')
Curtis Jerrells (I think he has just as much talent as Brandon Jennings -- like Jennings, he's a scoring lefty point but he can also distribute. Might need to tame his game down just little to fit in with STAT & Melo. Why couldn't he do that? Wouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that both guys need at least 20 shots a game minimum and where to get them the ball on the court..Plus, I never really minded the idea of having a scoring PG. You want all 5 guys to be able to put the ball in the hole when things break down..This kid Jerrells certainly can do that)
Curtis Stinson (a souped-up version of Anthony Carter patiently waiting for his shot in the NBA)

---------------------------------------

Basically what I'd like to see them do is this: I'd like the Knicks to do what the Rockets' Daryl Morey did last year with Marcus Cousin and Marqus Blakely (another guy I could be interested in if Houston cuts him loose btw) --- go out and sign a bunch of young high-potential types to 2 & 3-yr non-guaranteed contracts for peanuts. If they work out, great; they stick around for a bargin at good, salary-controlled money for the forseeable future, OR they could be throw-ins in a CP3 mega deal (believe me, the more low-cost/high potential talent we could give NO in a potential trade, the better it would help our cause--as of right now we don't have much to offer them for Paul---->Suppose we brought in a guy like Joe Alexander on the cheap and he contributed for us--now we'd have one more cost-effective chip to offer a rebuilding Hornets team for Chris Paul, no?)...And if these guys didn't work out, the 2nd and 3rd years of these deals wouldn't be guaranteed so we could just cut them and move on--no harm, no foul. Win win as far as I'm concerned..I'd love to see the Knicks adopt this philosophy..I'd much rather add young players with potential over older vets for this very purpose. Plus I think with STAT, Melo and Chauncey at least for another yr, there's enough of a vet presence and enough leadership on the team as is, so that can't possibly be an issue. I say load up on as many cheap young guys with upside as humanly possible right now. Can't possibly go wrong going this route imo..

Last edited:

serendipity10

Benchwarmer
amnesty clause

The NBA's next collective bargaining agreement may include some form of "amnesty clause," allowing teams to eliminate bad player contracts under certain conditions.

If I understand this correctly this may lead to more players being available to a better priced contract. One bad contract is Warriors Center Andris Biedrins, who would make a decent center and won't hurt for other big contracts next year.

Not sure of my complete understanding so to anyone who can answer clearly; Does the amnesty clause allow other teams to change the contract after they are released, do they become free agents.

finestrg

Rotation player
Just a little further on trying to come up with that 'knock-down shooter,' how 'bout Ryan Wittman?

Remember this kid?? STANDOUT 4-yr career at Cornell, this kid can absolutely shoot the lights out from deep. Very similar to Notre Dame's Tim Abromaitis, a guy who I've also been talking about for next year possibly as an additional outside shooter for us only Wittman has even more handle, quickness & mobility than Abro to get that shot off (just read incidently that Abromaitis just tore his ACL and will miss the rest of the year for Notre Dame :(. That sucks man, he just came back off a bullshit 4-game suspension to start the yr for pure nonsense that wasn't even his fault, now he gets hurt). Wittman also reminds me of former Ohio State sharpshooter Jon Diebler...Lightning-quick release on that jumper with picture-perfect form and deep, deep range...Son of former Cavs/T-Wolves head coach, current Wash Wiz asst coach Randy Wittman..I know we had him in for Vegas summer league a couple of yrs ago and it didn't pan out for whatever reason (I believe it was only a 3 game sample where he barely played---only Dan D'Antoni and Phil Weber can answer that question) --- I wouldn't mind seeing the Knicks give him a second look. Wouldn't mind that at all... If there's room in the league for guys like Jason Kapono, James Jones etc., then there's room for this guy too. Currently playing ball in Poland but you know he'd love the chance to come back to the States and play ball in the NBA.

Last edited: